Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-19-2021, 6:33 PM
veeklog's Avatar
veeklog veeklog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Now Orange County
Posts: 990
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Ammo shipped from out of state

I have been looking to buy some .357 SIG ammo for some time, and cannot find any for sale in SoCal anywhere. A close friend has a lot of it (it was his old duty load, Speer Gold Dot) and is willing to ship me some from PA for just shipping (I told him I would at least pay shipping). I don’t understand the process well because of all the new regulations on ammo, where we have to pay $1 DROS every time we buy ammo. Do I have to send it to an FFL, and what will be the cost of shipping it to an FFL? Personally I would rather buy it in a store here but nothing in stock anywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-20-2021, 5:20 AM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is online now
retired Goon
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 26,687
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeklog View Post
I have been looking to buy some .357 SIG ammo for some time, and cannot find any for sale in SoCal anywhere. A close friend has a lot of it (it was his old duty load, Speer Gold Dot) and is willing to ship me some from PA for just shipping (I told him I would at least pay shipping). I don’t understand the process well because of all the new regulations on ammo, where we have to pay $1 DROS every time we buy ammo. Do I have to send it to an FFL, and what will be the cost of shipping it to an FFL? Personally I would rather buy it in a store here but nothing in stock anywhere.
Cost of shipping is dependent upon the weight of the ammo and the delivery service being utilized.

Unless you are an exempt person, CA laws requires the ammo to be shipped to a CA licensed ammo vendor or CA FFL dealer for transfer to you.

If you have firearms registered to you in AFS and your current address matchs your AFS records, then the ammo is processed as a Standard Ammunition Eligibility Check ($1.00 fee).

If you do not have firearms registered to you in AFS or your current address does not match your AFS records, then the ammo is processed as a Basic Ammunition Eligibility Check ($19.00 fee)

If you have a valid (Federal Limits Apply) FLA CA DL/ID, then you will also need additional documentation (valid US Passport, certified birth certificate, Certificate of Naturalization, etc) to prove you are legally in the USA.
__________________
Certified Glock Armorer

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-20-2021, 8:04 PM
veeklog's Avatar
veeklog veeklog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Now Orange County
Posts: 990
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Cost of shipping is dependent upon the weight of the ammo and the delivery service being utilized.

Unless you are an exempt person, CA laws requires the ammo to be shipped to a CA licensed ammo vendor or CA FFL dealer for transfer to you.

If you have firearms registered to you in AFS and your current address matchs your AFS records, then the ammo is processed as a Standard Ammunition Eligibility Check ($1.00 fee).

If you do not have firearms registered to you in AFS or your current address does not match your AFS records, then the ammo is processed as a Basic Ammunition Eligibility Check ($19.00 fee)

If you have a valid (Federal Limits Apply) FLA CA DL/ID, then you will also need additional documentation (valid US Passport, certified birth certificate, Certificate of Naturalization, etc) to prove you are legally in the USA.
Who falls under the exempt person?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-21-2021, 6:05 AM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is online now
retired Goon
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 26,687
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeklog View Post
Who falls under the exempt person?
Exempt persons, if ammo is shipped within CA by a non-CA FFL dealer: [PC 30312(c)]
01. A qualifying Gov/Mil/LE employee with written authorization from their Gov/Mil/LE agency to obtain the ammo being ordered. [PC 30312(c)(1)]
02. A qualifying LEO. [PC 30312(c)(2)]
03. A Type 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, or 11 FFL. [PC 30312(c)(3)]
04. A CA FFL dealer. [PC 30312(c)(4)]
05. A non-resident of CA with a Type 03 FFL. [PC 30312(c)(5)]
06. A CA resident with a Type 03 FFL and valid COE. [PC 30312(c)(6)]
07. A CA licensed ammunition vendor. [PC 30312(c)(7)]
08. A "consultant-evaluator". [PC 30312(c)(8)]
09. A person receiving ammo being sent to them by their spouse/registered domestic partner or immediate family member. [PC 30312(c)(10)]
10. A person that is enrolled in a POST academy or an instructor/staff of a POST academy and the ammo is being used for training at the POST academy. [PC 30312(c)(11)]


Exempt persons, if ammo is shipped from outside of CA into CA: [PC 30314(b)]
1. A CA licensed ammunition vendor. [PC 30314(b)(1)]
2. A qualifying LEO. [PC 30314(b)(2)]
3. A Type 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, or 11 FFL. [PC 30314(b)(3)]
4. A CA FFL dealer. [PC 30314(b)(4)]
5. A CA resident with a Type 03 FFL and valid COE. [PC 30314(b)(5)]
6. A person receiving ammo being sent to them by their spouse/registered domestic partner or immediate family member. [PC 30314(b)(6)]



Penal Code 30312
(c) Subdivisions (a) and (b) shall not apply to the sale, delivery, or transfer of ammunition to any of the following:
(1) An authorized law enforcement representative of a city, county, city and county, or state or federal government, if the sale, delivery, or transfer is for exclusive use by that government agency and, prior to the sale, delivery, or transfer of the ammunition, written authorization from the head of the agency employing the purchaser or transferee is obtained, identifying the employee as an individual authorized to conduct the transaction, and authorizing the transaction for the exclusive use of the agency employing the individual.
(2) A sworn peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, or sworn federal law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of the officer’s duties.
(3) An importer or manufacturer of ammunition or firearms who is licensed to engage in business pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(4) A person who is on the centralized list of exempted federal firearms licensees maintained by the Department of Justice pursuant to Article 6 (commencing with Section 28450) of Chapter 6 of Division 6 of this title.
(5) A person whose licensed premises are outside this state and who is licensed as a dealer or collector of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(6) A person who is licensed as a collector of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto, whose licensed premises are within this state, and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 26710.
(7) An ammunition vendor.
(8) A consultant-evaluator.
(9) A person who purchases or receives ammunition at a target facility holding a business or other regulatory license, provided that the ammunition is at all times kept within the facility’s premises.
(10) A person who purchases or receives ammunition from a spouse, registered domestic partner, or immediate family member as defined in Section 16720.
(11) A person enrolled in the basic training academy for peace officers or any other course certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training, an instructor of the academy or course, or a staff member of the academy or entity providing the course, who is purchasing the ammunition for the purpose of participation or use in the course.

Penal Code 30314
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
(1) An ammunition vendor.
(2) A sworn peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, or sworn federal law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of the officer’s duties.
(3) An importer or manufacturer of ammunition or firearms who is licensed to engage in business pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(4) A person who is on the centralized list of exempted federal firearms licensees maintained by the Department of Justice pursuant to Article 6 (commencing with Section 28450) of Chapter 6 of Division 6.
(5) A person who is licensed as a collector of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto, whose licensed premises are within this state, and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 26710.
(6) A person who acquired the ammunition from a spouse, registered domestic partner, or immediate family member as defined in Section 16720.
__________________
Certified Glock Armorer

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 03-21-2021 at 6:13 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-21-2021, 10:13 AM
veeklog's Avatar
veeklog veeklog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Now Orange County
Posts: 990
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Exempt persons, if ammo is shipped within CA by a non-CA FFL dealer: [PC 30312(c)]
01. A qualifying Gov/Mil/LE employee with written authorization from their Gov/Mil/LE agency to obtain the ammo being ordered. [PC 30312(c)(1)]
02. A qualifying LEO. [PC 30312(c)(2)]
03. A Type 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, or 11 FFL. [PC 30312(c)(3)]
04. A CA FFL dealer. [PC 30312(c)(4)]
05. A non-resident of CA with a Type 03 FFL. [PC 30312(c)(5)]
06. A CA resident with a Type 03 FFL and valid COE. [PC 30312(c)(6)]
07. A CA licensed ammunition vendor. [PC 30312(c)(7)]
08. A "consultant-evaluator". [PC 30312(c)(8)]
09. A person receiving ammo being sent to them by their spouse/registered domestic partner or immediate family member. [PC 30312(c)(10)]
10. A person that is enrolled in a POST academy or an instructor/staff of a POST academy and the ammo is being used for training at the POST academy. [PC 30312(c)(11)]


Exempt persons, if ammo is shipped from outside of CA into CA: [PC 30314(b)]
1. A CA licensed ammunition vendor. [PC 30314(b)(1)]
2. A qualifying LEO. [PC 30314(b)(2)]
3. A Type 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, or 11 FFL. [PC 30314(b)(3)]
4. A CA FFL dealer. [PC 30314(b)(4)]
5. A CA resident with a Type 03 FFL and valid COE. [PC 30314(b)(5)]
6. A person receiving ammo being sent to them by their spouse/registered domestic partner or immediate family member. [PC 30314(b)(6)]



Penal Code 30312
(c) Subdivisions (a) and (b) shall not apply to the sale, delivery, or transfer of ammunition to any of the following:
(1) An authorized law enforcement representative of a city, county, city and county, or state or federal government, if the sale, delivery, or transfer is for exclusive use by that government agency and, prior to the sale, delivery, or transfer of the ammunition, written authorization from the head of the agency employing the purchaser or transferee is obtained, identifying the employee as an individual authorized to conduct the transaction, and authorizing the transaction for the exclusive use of the agency employing the individual.
(2) A sworn peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, or sworn federal law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of the officer’s duties.
(3) An importer or manufacturer of ammunition or firearms who is licensed to engage in business pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(4) A person who is on the centralized list of exempted federal firearms licensees maintained by the Department of Justice pursuant to Article 6 (commencing with Section 28450) of Chapter 6 of Division 6 of this title.
(5) A person whose licensed premises are outside this state and who is licensed as a dealer or collector of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(6) A person who is licensed as a collector of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto, whose licensed premises are within this state, and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 26710.
(7) An ammunition vendor.
(8) A consultant-evaluator.
(9) A person who purchases or receives ammunition at a target facility holding a business or other regulatory license, provided that the ammunition is at all times kept within the facility’s premises.
(10) A person who purchases or receives ammunition from a spouse, registered domestic partner, or immediate family member as defined in Section 16720.
(11) A person enrolled in the basic training academy for peace officers or any other course certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training, an instructor of the academy or course, or a staff member of the academy or entity providing the course, who is purchasing the ammunition for the purpose of participation or use in the course.

Penal Code 30314
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
(1) An ammunition vendor.
(2) A sworn peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, or sworn federal law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of the officer’s duties.
(3) An importer or manufacturer of ammunition or firearms who is licensed to engage in business pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(4) A person who is on the centralized list of exempted federal firearms licensees maintained by the Department of Justice pursuant to Article 6 (commencing with Section 28450) of Chapter 6 of Division 6.
(5) A person who is licensed as a collector of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto, whose licensed premises are within this state, and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 26710.
(6) A person who acquired the ammunition from a spouse, registered domestic partner, or immediate family member as defined in Section 16720.
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-30-2021, 2:49 PM
brad96cdc brad96cdc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 240
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default Ammo shipped from out of state

What about shipping from inside Ca to outside state?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by brad96cdc; 03-31-2021 at 3:18 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-30-2021, 2:54 PM
edgerly779 edgerly779 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: canoga park, ca
Posts: 17,408
iTrader: 102 / 100%
Default

Send it to shootsocal in fullerton . Dave will accept and you can do registration and pick up. Must go to ffl here and you owe sales tax and fees.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-03-2021, 11:12 AM
BubbaCluck's Avatar
BubbaCluck BubbaCluck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Butte County
Posts: 205
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

So, according to what I read in #4, a California resident with an FFL-03 and a COE can have ammunition shipped directly to their licensed address from within and from out of the state? One just has to find an ammunition supplier willing to do the sale?

I am a bit new to this process.
__________________
NRA member
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-03-2021, 12:38 PM
CalifEd CalifEd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 129
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Not sure about in-state ammo dealers/FFL to directly to you, I think there are issues.
#4 references Exempt persons, if ammo is shipped within CA by a non-CA FFL dealer: [PC 30312(c)].

Other than that, you are correct.

Here is a calguns link for California friendly ammo dealers: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1406001
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-04-2021, 8:07 AM
BubbaCluck's Avatar
BubbaCluck BubbaCluck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Butte County
Posts: 205
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Thanks for the link!
__________________
NRA member
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-04-2021, 5:04 PM
ronlglock's Avatar
ronlglock ronlglock is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,979
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default Ammo shipped from out of state

In CA dealers are required by law to perform a background check except for LE and other exempts.

Someone forgot the exemption for them for FFL03 plus COE which is why LA Ammo won’t ship in state.
__________________


NRA/DOJ/ILEETA instructor, NRA RSO, Journalist

Last edited by ronlglock; 06-10-2021 at 7:10 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-10-2021, 6:52 AM
BubbaCluck's Avatar
BubbaCluck BubbaCluck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Butte County
Posts: 205
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

I am having some ammunition shipped here from an ammo dealer in AZ, using my FFL-03 and COE. CFARS is asking for a Dealer Record of Sale, or DROS. The only fifteen digit number I see on my order is my FFL-03 license number. Is this what I input into the CFARS system?
__________________
NRA member
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-10-2021, 7:14 AM
ronlglock's Avatar
ronlglock ronlglock is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,979
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaCluck View Post
I am having some ammunition shipped here from an ammo dealer in AZ, using my FFL-03 and COE. CFARS is asking for a Dealer Record of Sale, or DROS. The only fifteen digit number I see on my order is my FFL-03 license number. Is this what I input into the CFARS system?

I’m lost — why are you even accessing CFARS? I don’t believe you need to do anything to receive ammo with your FFL03 and COE.
__________________


NRA/DOJ/ILEETA instructor, NRA RSO, Journalist
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-10-2021, 7:24 AM
BubbaCluck's Avatar
BubbaCluck BubbaCluck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Butte County
Posts: 205
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

It was an email from CFARS this morning. They were asking me to enter the DROS number from my ammo purchase.

Okay, it was a poorly worded message from the State of California that strongly suggested I input a DROS #. They were actually trying to tell me I had a message in my CFARS account that needed to be dealt with.

Please disregard my previous inquiry. Lesson learned.....bureaucracy is of the devil.

I screwed it up.
__________________
NRA member

Last edited by BubbaCluck; 06-10-2021 at 8:31 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-10-2021, 10:25 AM
ronlglock's Avatar
ronlglock ronlglock is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,979
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

I think everybody with a COE got one of those emails today through some kind of bug.
__________________


NRA/DOJ/ILEETA instructor, NRA RSO, Journalist
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-10-2021, 11:29 AM
SkyHawk's Avatar
SkyHawk SkyHawk is offline
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nakatomi Plaza - 30th floor
Posts: 19,445
iTrader: 201 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlglock View Post
I think everybody with a COE got one of those emails today through some kind of bug.
Yes I got an email today and there was a notification waiting for me on CFARS. It was a notice telling me that my COE modification application was approved, even though it actually went through many months ago.

Maybe it is just DOJ getting back to work, playing COVID catch-up, or like you said some type of bug or some type of of bug-fix that cleared a backlog of stuck notices
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-10-2021, 11:38 AM
edgerly779 edgerly779 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: canoga park, ca
Posts: 17,408
iTrader: 102 / 100%
Default

If ammo shipped to your local ffl check on the fees. It varies by quantity. Not 1 buck like some nummie said that goes to the state . Still have to pay ffl for the transfer.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-10-2021, 8:13 PM
morrcarr67's Avatar
morrcarr67 morrcarr67 is online now
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario, CA
Posts: 12,637
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Yes I got an email today and there was a notification waiting for me on CFARS. It was a notice telling me that my COE modification application was approved, even though it actually went through many months ago.

Maybe it is just DOJ getting back to work, playing COVID catch-up, or like you said some type of bug or some type of of bug-fix that cleared a backlog of stuck notices
Change in AG. My letter when I renewed my COE was from Becerra. The one today was from Bonta.

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk
__________________
Yes you can have 2 C&R 03 FFL's; 1 in California and 1 in a different state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:35 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy

Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Military Boots 5.11 Tactical