Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:27 PM

Default Building your own respirator filter out of furnace filter?

Ok so respirator filters are hard to come by right now, although you can still find them (unlike disposable N95 masks where are completely out of stock worldwide).

Anyways I was thinking, I could get a high-MPR furnace filter and cut up the filter material into the shape of my respirator filter and use that.

https://www.amazon.com/Filtrete-Redu...hi&sr=1-4&th=1

It says this furnace filter is rated to stop viruses and bacteria.

Benefits are 1) you can get them now easily, and 2) they are WAY cheaper per square feet. You could probably make 10 or 20 respirator filters out of one furnace filter.

Any opinions?
Old 02-14-2020, 10:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

bonkers the ones molded to faces barely work and are mostly used incorrectly how could you get a flat sheet to fit
Old 02-14-2020, 11:19 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
bonkers the ones molded to faces barely work and are mostly used incorrectly how could you get a flat sheet to fit
There's that.

Also, what is the resistance of the material to airflow? Can your breathing match the performance of an AC fan?

You want something to filter out these:
Coronaviridae (SARS - CoV & MERS - CoV), 0.125 micron/micrometer

Here - https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3761.pdf - is "The Occupational Safety and Health Administration provides specific recommendations for PPE for some non-healthcare workers" for ebola; at 0.08 micron/micrometer 0.79 - 0.97 length, Ebola is much smaller.

3M says "Each particulate respirator is also given a filter efficiency rating of 95, 99, or 100 when tested against particles approximately 0.3 microns in size (mass median aerodynamic diameter) according to the criteria stated in 42 Code of Federal Regulations Part 84."

Last edited by Librarian; 02-14-2020 at 11:57 PM..
Old 02-15-2020, 7:11 AM

Any filter that will stop a virus is going to be pretty tight. A furnace filter tight enough to stop virus consistently would not likely pass much air. I suspect the furnace filter claim is overstated or highly footnoted with caveats.

So avoid places where the virus might be: China, San Francisco and other Sanctuary City mentality places, international flights, etc.