Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Coronavirus/COVID19 Temp Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Coronavirus/COVID19 Temp Forum This is a temporary forum for discussion, debate, sharing and helping each other during and in relation to the Coronavirus/COVID19

Old 08-05-2022, 2:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Interesting tidbit on asymptomatic people testing positive.

I don't have a link and such for you but one large medical organization has recently noted:

1. In the SF Bay Area about 1/5th of their asymptomatic outpatients test positive for Covid-19.
2. In the Central Valley 1/3rd of their asymptomatic outpatients test positive for Covid-19.

Now one might expect that their patients are on average a bit higher risk for being ill if they get a Covid-19 infection but it is not at all clear that they are more likely to be exposed to Covid-19 than the rest of the population.

If one takes the somewhat dubious step of assuming similar data throughout the state? We're talking literally millions of people who are infected (according to testing) but asymptomatic. Seriously, we'd be talking more than 6 million.

Also note that those would be the ones who are currently infected and without symptoms. If you figure in those who have been asymptomatically infected in the last few weeks? That number would be dramatically higher - especially since the current infection rate is actually lower than it has been over the last few weeks.

If you accept this as being a guess with reasonable value (and remember that I'm not at all sure it is) then I'd be betting that a pretty strong majority of the people in Kalifornia who are working, shopping, etc. have recently had Covid-19 whether they know it or not.

If this is the case, just about everyone who is out there circulating has at least some degree of immunity at this time.

Make of this what you will.

If you want to get the vaccine I'm certainly not going to try to talk you out of it but unless you are a pretty high-risk individual I'd be suggesting you consider waiting until the newer mRNA vaccines are available which are intended to hit a newer variant. But make sure you get good data showing that the new vaccine is actually effective at preventing serious illness and death. Frankly, there isn't much serious illness or death out there and that may make it impossible to get good data showing significant benefit (because almost no one is getting seriously ill or dying from the current variants).

If you are inclined not to get further vaccination? Well, by now you've probably had one of the newer variants - or you'll get Covid-19 due to a newer variant before the newer vaccines are available. That means that the benefit you'll get may be a bit questionable.

Personally, unless mandated I am pretty sure I won't be getting further Covid-19 vaccination unless there is some very unanticipated twist to things. I don't think they will be able to get good data showing enough benefit.

I'm taking my Vitamin D and living happy.
Old 08-05-2022, 3:00 PM

A few people should pull a "Musk" with current tests: Musk had four covid tests taken back to back on the same day. Two came back positive, and two negative. Those tests seemed to work about as well as the vx.
Old 08-05-2022, 3:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Covid is endemic now, that's all. Also harmless.
Old 08-05-2022, 3:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shooter View Post
Covid is endemic now, that's all. Also harmless.
Pretty much. At least unless you are that one guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 08-05-2022, 5:39 PM
Custom Title is Custom
CGN Contributor

No point in testing if asymptomatic.
Old 08-06-2022, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
I don't have a link and such for you but one large medical organization has recently noted:

1. In the SF Bay Area about 1/5th of their asymptomatic outpatients test positive for Covid-19.
2. In the Central Valley 1/3rd of their asymptomatic outpatients test positive for Covid-19.

Now one might expect that their patients are on average a bit higher risk for being ill if they get a Covid-19 infection but it is not at all clear that they are more likely to be exposed to Covid-19 than the rest of the population.

If one takes the somewhat dubious step of assuming similar data throughout the state? We're talking literally millions of people who are infected (according to testing) but asymptomatic. Seriously, we'd be talking more than 6 million.

Also note that those would be the ones who are currently infected and without symptoms. If you figure in those who have been asymptomatically infected in the last few weeks? That number would be dramatically higher - especially since the current infection rate is actually lower than it has been over the last few weeks.

If you accept this as being a guess with reasonable value (and remember that I'm not at all sure it is) then I'd be betting that a pretty strong majority of the people in Kalifornia who are working, shopping, etc. have recently had Covid-19 whether they know it or not.

If this is the case, just about everyone who is out there circulating has at least some degree of immunity at this time.

Make of this what you will.

If you want to get the vaccine I'm certainly not going to try to talk you out of it but unless you are a pretty high-risk individual I'd be suggesting you consider waiting until the newer mRNA vaccines are available which are intended to hit a newer variant. But make sure you get good data showing that the new vaccine is actually effective at preventing serious illness and death. Frankly, there isn't much serious illness or death out there and that may make it impossible to get good data showing significant benefit (because almost no one is getting seriously ill or dying from the current variants).

If you are inclined not to get further vaccination? Well, by now you've probably had one of the newer variants - or you'll get Covid-19 due to a newer variant before the newer vaccines are available. That means that the benefit you'll get may be a bit questionable.

Personally, unless mandated I am pretty sure I won't be getting further Covid-19 vaccination unless there is some very unanticipated twist to things. I don't think they will be able to get good data showing enough benefit.

I'm taking my Vitamin D and living happy.
Way to stand firm, good for you.

Really, I thought by now we were way past considering the vaccine therapy as proper treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyedrider View Post
First they came for Trump and i said nothing because I wasn't a Trump supporter...........
Old 08-06-2022, 7:04 AM
CGSSA Associate

Vaccine?

Hell no your crazy putting this in your body
Old 08-06-2022, 9:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Yeah, why are hospitals testing outpatient asymptomatic patients?

To promote the fear
Old 08-06-2022, 10:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post

To promote the fear
I don't think hospitals are trying to "promote the fear".

I think the state actually requires the testing if you are having any sort of outpatient procedure. I think that in some cases the counties are requiring it.

Now if you are talking about non-procedural visits? Then that would be to the clinics and that may be asymptomatic patients who want to be tested. In this case one might ask why people who are effectively healthy want to be tested and that could be everything from family saying you can't come around them unless they've been tested to a day care saying the kid can't come back unless tested.

And yeah, my 7 month-old granddaughter has to be tested for Covid-19 before she is allowed to return after the day care took a 2-week break.

So some is required by the government. Some by the healthy worried. Some by family. Some by private institutions trying to show that they are keeping their clients safe.

I think we are doing far more testing than is useful but I'm not the ruler (and I don't want to be).
Old 08-06-2022, 12:26 PM

Unless you have been living a hermit's life without human contact you have been exposed. 98%+ people have have antibodies. Doing anything based on a positive test is insanity. The time to ignore covid has long passed.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Pretty sure 'asymptomatic spread' is just another falsehood based on false positives and the Public Health Industrial complex needing to scare people into taking an unproven therapy for a flu like illness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN compnerd View Post
When the middle east descends into complete chaos in 2-3 years due in part to the actions of this administration I'll necro post about how clueless I was.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

To promote the fear
That and they can bill hundreds for a test that costs pennys. It's now pretty standard that if you visit an ER, you will be tested for the coof whether you have symptoms or not and no matter what you are seeking care for. Car accident? coof test. Sprained ankle? coof test. woodworking accident? coof test. Concussion from extreme sports accident? coof test. Athletes foot? coof test. The scam continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN compnerd View Post
When the middle east descends into complete chaos in 2-3 years due in part to the actions of this administration I'll necro post about how clueless I was.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:35 AM
Honk Honk
CGN Contributor

Quote:

To promote the fear
money, they get paid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian777 View Post
...Don't pick either side....
Old 08-08-2022, 12:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
Pretty much. At least unless you are that one guy.
Sure, but even the common cold or the bacteria on one's skin occasionally take someone out. There aren't many infections that can't possibly kill someone, even if it is a very select group.

"Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.
I like my guns like the left likes their voters-"undocumented".