Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 02-15-2020, 6:26 AM

Default Switched from guns to knives

About 12 years ago a couple work friends took me to Angeles shooting range and I caught on to the hobby of buying, shooting, and taking shooting classes instantly.

At the time I was single and had a good job with some disposable income so I found myself buying all sorts of hand guns and long guns.

Then I joined this forum and that just fed my addiction !!

For around 8 years before I got married I had all sorts of guns and was always looking forward to my next gun purchase.

However, it has now been 2 years since I bought a gun, and while I still very much enjoy shooting, I sold off all my AR's and AK's but still kept a few long guns and a bunch of my handguns.

About 3 years ago I knew zero about knives. I did own a few Spydercos I bought at the local Turners and a Kershaw for EDC but that was it.

Now I'm single again and I have been bitten by the knife bug in a bad way.

My purchases just in the past 4-5 months have included-- 2 Microtech Socom Eites, Chris Reeves Large Sebenza, Reate Horizon D, 5 Spydercos, and around 5 other Microtechs including a couple Marfione Custom ones.

It has gotten to a point where, although I can afford it, I felt guilty spending so much $$ on knives so I have sold a few guns I owned in order to fund my new knife hobby.
All I do now when I get home from work is watch Youtube videos on knives-- For hours, learning everything I can.

I officially consider myself a collector now, as I do not plan on selling them and I have too many to ever use them all!!

And what am I doing now?- I'm online figuring out my next knife purchase.

Last edited by timbo399; 02-15-2020 at 6:41 AM..
Old 02-15-2020, 7:18 AM

What’s so cool about knives? You can’t shoot them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2020, 7:45 AM
Veteran Member

...and you're still on the gun sites. Sounds to me you are still salvageable.

There is nothing that says one can't enjoy both knives and guns.

Of course there are those who's interests change with the wind. I can always spot them at the range with their brand new guns, top end support gear, and taticool clothes. After a year, they are gone. Those are the guys to search out for good deals.
Old 02-15-2020, 7:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Get some guns with Bayonets...

Best of both worlds.
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 02-15-2020, 8:18 AM
Veteran Member

Pics or it didnt happen
Old 02-15-2020, 8:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b20beast View Post
Along with the rock, stick and fire the knife is one of man's oldest tools, it's innate and primeval to our species...

.........??????????...... <a href=http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic165916_5.gif target=_blank>http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ic165916_5.gif</a>
???Everyone's a Garand expert until the Garand expert walks in the room and I have only met 3, Scott Duff, Bruce Canfield & Gus Fisher
Old 02-15-2020, 8:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo399 View Post
About 12 years ago a couple work friends took me to Angeles shooting range and I caught on to the hobby of buying, shooting, and taking shooting classes instantly.

At the time I was single and had a good job with some disposable income so I found myself buying all sorts of hand guns and long guns.

For around 8 years before I got married I had all sorts of guns and was always looking forward to my next gun purchase.

However, it has now been 2 years since I bought a gun, and while I still very much enjoy shooting, I sold off all my AR's and AK's but still kept a few long guns and a bunch of my handguns.

About 3 years ago I knew zero about knives. I did own a few Spydercos I bought at the local Turners and a Kershaw for EDC but that was it.

My purchases just in the past 4-5 months have included-- 2 Microtech Socom Eites, Chris Reeves Large Sebenza, Reate Horizon D, 5 Spydercos, and around 5 other Microtechs including a couple Marfione Custom ones.

It has gotten to a point where, although I can afford it, I felt guilty spending so much $$ on knives so I have sold a few guns I owned in order to fund my new knife hobby.
All I do now when I get home from work is watch Youtube videos on knives-- For hours, learning everything I can.

I officially consider myself a collector now, as I do not plan on selling them and I have too many to ever use them all!!

You're single and you feel guilty about buying things you like...

You should repent for such silliness and buy my Randall #16 SP1 Fighter for sale in the CGN shopper, stop playing with flippers and start your fixed blade collection right

$600 for you shipped to your door...More pics in my signature below.

.........??????????...... <a href=http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic165916_5.gif target=_blank>http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ic165916_5.gif</a>
???Everyone's a Garand expert until the Garand expert walks in the room and I have only met 3, Scott Duff, Bruce Canfield & Gus Fisher
Old 02-15-2020, 9:05 AM

I never cared much for knives but I recently decided that carrying one is better than yelling "Help".
After trying a few I bought a Benchmade Vector 495. I wanted one that opened easily with one hand and this one does just that. It now goes with me every time I leave the house.

Old 02-15-2020, 9:12 AM

Quote:

They are quite spendy, but Borka Blades are on my list. I’m not really into folders, I like custom fixed blades more. But the Borka Shylock and Stitch are nice.
Old 02-15-2020, 9:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Ha, I'm on my way.
Just bought my first White River blade.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 02-15-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post
Along with the rock, stick and fire the knife is one of man's oldest tools, it's innate and primeval to our species...

Ahhh, you’re right! I’m gonna go start my rock collection now!

Old 02-15-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip View Post
Ha, I'm on my way.
Just bought my first White River blade.
I have 2 White River knives I got about 5 mos ago. They make some great fixed blades.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Lightbulb

Quote:

I'D of stuck with AR's, but, more power to ya'!
Old 02-15-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
I'D of stuck with AR's, but, more power to ya'!
Well, I did exaggerate just a bit when I said I sold ALL my AR's!

Still have some nice long guns I love to shoot.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:47 PM

Heh, when I was a kid, I collected knives and bayonets cuz my parents wouldn't let me have any firearms. When I turned 18, I started buying guns more than blades. But since dros fees got jacked up along with the ammo registration mess, I switched back to mainly collecting blades again. When I retire and leave CA, I'll resume buying guns again.
Old 02-16-2020, 4:36 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Knives are a lot easier to acquire. Much less restrictions. They have so many different variations and some of the build quality is amazing. I think they go hand in hand with firearms.
Old 02-17-2020, 4:57 PM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

I feel ya dude. Same here. I still follow guns, but I much more into knives and other cutting implements...

Take a look at Lon Humphrey Custom Knives if you are into craftsmanship. He uses a good steel 52100 (Ball bearing steel - fine grain carbon steel), and each one is handmade.

If you are into folders there are too many to list.

Fixed blade - If you are into steels - Bark River Knives, CPK Knives are very good mid tech knives. Busse has a really good proprietary steel INFI. And there are a slew of very good bushcraft knife makers like LT Wright, White River, WC Knives, ect. There's nothing like picking up some cheap but very good quality Mora knives. Which are an incredible deal for the performance.

You'll move past the ESEEs, Cold Steels, and Becker BKs pretty fast if you haven't already. You might flirt with Tops if you like their sometimes weird designs. You'll try out and get bored with fighting knives reasonably fast.

You might get yourself a high quality Swedish Axe like maybe a Gränsfors Bruk small forest axe or something. Who knows you might even get into saws too.

Anyway, Enjoy!

Last edited by ScottsBad; 02-17-2020 at 5:20 PM..
Old 02-18-2020, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
I feel ya dude. Same here. I still follow guns, but I much more into knives and other cutting implements...

Take a look at Lon Humphrey Custom Knives if you are into craftsmanship. He uses a good steel 52100 (Ball bearing steel - fine grain carbon steel), and each one is handmade.

If you are into folders there are too many to list.

Fixed blade - If you are into steels - Bark River Knives, CPK Knives are very good mid tech knives. Busse has a really good proprietary steel INFI. And there are a slew of very good bushcraft knife makers like LT Wright, White River, WC Knives, ect. There's nothing like picking up some cheap but very good quality Mora knives. Which are an incredible deal for the performance.

You'll move past the ESEEs, Cold Steels, and Becker BKs pretty fast if you haven't already. You might flirt with Tops if you like their sometimes weird designs. You'll try out and get bored with fighting knives reasonably fast.

You might get yourself a high quality Swedish Axe like maybe a Gränsfors Bruk small forest axe or something. Who knows you might even get into saws too.

Anyway, Enjoy!
Very interesting info. Thank you.
Yes I have a couple Esee Izulas and White River knives-- and you're right-- I did go through a self defense Karambit phase even where I got a Spyderco Karahawk and We Incisor-- but those turned out to be glorified box openers for me.
I do want to get into larger blades as you mentioned-- interesting stuff thanks. I will look into some of your suggestions.

Last edited by timbo399; 02-18-2020 at 2:19 PM..
Old 02-18-2020, 4:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I think that is common. You might come back to firearms though and it may even out. You are just consumed by another collecting hobby right now. I believe you CAN have too many guns or too many knives.

You can collect both, but I have been there where one hobby takes over. For me it was when I definitely had enough guns IN MY OPINION. Hey, if we weren't in CA with the damn roster and 1-in-30 days, I'd possibly be bankrupt.

I do what I am interested in and sometimes I lose interest in collecting what really amount to duplicate guns.

I'm anxiously awaiting the next Million Mag march, the end of the CA roster, and also Wednesday's Swamp Rat knife release. You can do both, but guns are better in most states, IMHO. Enjoy the knife collecting. It is better for you than crack.
Old 02-18-2020, 6:07 PM

Why not both?
Old 02-19-2020, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
Why not both?
I still own more guns than I can count. I certainly have not given up shooting.

Just enjoying knives more than I ever thought I would.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I still own more guns than I can count. I certainly have not given up shooting.

Just enjoying knives more than I ever thought I would.
Yeah, knives can go from $30 to $300+ before you realize it... and start rationalizing that they are still cheaper than a gun.

You should go order a Ratweiler:

https://www.swampratknifeworks.com/knives/
Old 02-20-2020, 11:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeBee49 View Post
I never cared much for knives but I recently decided that carrying one is better than yelling "Help".
After trying a few I bought a Benchmade Vector 495.
Benchmade was an unfortunate choice. Did you buy it at Dick's?

Attachment 874610

Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 03-23-2020 at 5:58 PM..
Old 02-20-2020, 11:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Benchmade was an unfortunate choice. Did you buy it at Dick's?

Attachment 874610
I think I still have a couple old style Presidios and a pen... should have kept my Contego. Benchmade never had consistent good designs I was interested in.
Old 02-20-2020, 6:52 PM
Veteran Member

There's a lot to be said for collecting Knives, I love 'em.

Still have guns, but seem to be more interested in the knives now.

Old 02-20-2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b20beast View Post

Actually you can but it leaves a really nasty hole in the side of it.

The power of Gun free Zones https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=hnBWa_xJz6A

In California we're called "Wacko right-wing gun toting nut jobs with an arsenal" most other states just call us People.
Old 02-21-2020, 2:16 PM

I love both as well. In fact I love all sorts of weapons. Bows, guns, knives, etc.

Really want to shoot a bow more often. It’s something you can do in a rural back yard that people are just cool with.

Can’t shoot your gun in a back yard in a rural neighborhood .
Old 02-21-2020, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
I love both as well. In fact I love all sorts of weapons. Bows, guns, knives, etc.

Really want to shoot a bow more often. It’s something you can do in a rural back yard that people are just cool with.

Can’t shoot your gun in a back yard in a rural neighborhood .
OP here-- Interesting. I've been thinking of getting a nice bow and taking some lessons so I can set up a range in my back yard. Can't shoot guns in my yard here in LA County but I can certainly use a bow. Could be fun to get into.

Last edited by timbo399; 02-23-2020 at 6:57 AM..
Old 03-02-2020, 6:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitfighter View Post
There's a lot to be said for collecting Knives, I love 'em.

Still have guns, but seem to be more interested in the knives now.

Absolutely outstanding collection Sir!!!

Old 03-02-2020, 5:21 PM

i like knives too. Mostly folders but do like some fixed blades as well.
Old 03-03-2020, 9:04 AM
Veteran Member

I collect old bayonets & fighting knives , pocket knives

these Turk bayonets are crude, the first two are for Turk mausers, the bottom one was used for a Turk FN FAL rifle , they only cost around $12 - $25 each , they remind me of jungle workshop made with rivets hammered together with steel handles , functional but very crude, similar to WW1 Ersatz bayonets.

Last edited by omega; 03-03-2020 at 9:19 AM..
Old 03-05-2020, 8:10 PM

Enjoy it man! No guilt, no shame.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:21 AM

I go back and forth between the two. Some good folders ro check out are curtiss, koenig, and holt bladeworks. Some good fixed blades are benchmade, fiddleback, Andersen forge, and gl drew knives. Chek out blade forums if you havent already. Lots of good info there
Old 03-28-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post
You're single and you feel guilty about buying things you like...

You should repent for such silliness and buy my Randall #16 SP1 Fighter for sale in the CGN shopper, stop playing with flippers and start your fixed blade collection right

$600 for you shipped to your door...More pics in my signature below.
sweet!!

NRA Life Member 45+ yrs
CRPA Life Member 45+ yrs
Navy Pilot Retired
Old 05-04-2020, 8:06 AM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

They make it so hard for us to get guns. And the selection becomes more and more limited every year. Why wouldn't you collect knives?
Old 09-24-2020, 3:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
I think I still have a couple old style Presidios and a pen... should have kept my Contego. Benchmade never had consistent good designs I was interested in.
The only Benchmades I have are the Adamas, I picked up the fixed blade and the folder years before the whole fiasco with destroying guns. They aren't bad, but for the most part I have been really into ZT knives, I have a bunch and they are all great.
Old 09-24-2020, 3:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
OP here-- Interesting. I've been thinking of getting a nice bow and taking some lessons so I can set up a range in my back yard. Can't shoot guns in my yard here in LA County but I can certainly use a bow. Could be fun to get into.
Make sure you have a beefy backstop, bows are no joke and will go through steel like butter. I watched a kid put an arrow through a stop sign when we were young
Old 09-24-2020, 7:08 AM

Couple of my favorites, Trollsky Raider and a Winkler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9E844425-C42A-4ABD-9A95-F3F4985E5215.jpg (16.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 09-24-2020, 7:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalAF View Post
The only Benchmades I have are the Adamas, I picked up the fixed blade and the folder years before the whole fiasco with destroying guns. They aren't bad, but for the most part I have been really into ZT knives, I have a bunch and they are all great.
Yeah they miss the mark a lot IMHO. The Contego in M4 was a great larger folder. I never had a non-Axis Lock that I trusted from them. ZT is just killing it almost every time.

The old Presidios with the original textured aluminum scales look like something from Mad Max after they get banged up and are just cool... but I had a couple Presidios were you just couldn't get all the blade play out by adjusting... most had none. Typically OK fit and finish, but not ZT fit and finish.
Old 09-24-2020, 8:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Yeah they miss the mark a lot IMHO. The Contego in M4 was a great larger folder. I never had a non-Axis Lock that I trusted from them. ZT is just killing it almost every time.

The old Presidios with the original textured aluminum scales look like something from Mad Max after they get banged up and are just cool... but I had a couple Presidios were you just couldn't get all the blade play out by adjusting... most had none. Typically OK fit and finish, but not ZT fit and finish.
Here's my modest ZT/US made Kershaw collection, I wish I could find a reasonably priced example of the bayonet they did years ago.