Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 10-23-2018, 4:01 PM

Default Need Instructions for C&R/COE 10 day wait exemption for C&R Handgun PPT

I posted this in the C&R forum and was pointed to this forum. Hopefully its OK to post here as well:

Does anyone who is an FFL01 or who works for one have any instructions on doing a PPT for a C&R handgun with a 10-day wait exemption for holders of a C&R/COE? I was at a store today trying to get a C&R handgun transferred to me (I have a C&R/COE) but the store didn't know how to process with the 10-day wait exemption. They said they would like to do it but didn't know how to enter it. They even let us look at the computer screen with them and under the section for PPTs, the drop down menu for the 10-day wait exemption did not have an option for C&R/COE holders.

I found a calguns thread from a couple of years ago in which someone said there was this glitch with the software and that the FFL01 had to accept the C&R handgun into their stock and then "sell" it to you. Is that still the case?

We tried to call another local store to see if they could do the transfer but after being on hold forever while they were trying to see if they could do it, we hung up. In the end I didn't want to inconvenience the seller any more with the delay so we did the normal transfer and I'll be making the long drive in a couple of weeks to pick up the piece.

Anyway, I was hoping an FFL01 could chime in so I (and anyone else) can keep the instructions handy just in case I go into another store that doesn't know how to do this.. I do believe the LGS wanted to do this, they just didn't know how.

Thanks,
Old 10-23-2018, 4:17 PM
Senior Member Xtraordinar
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramynot View Post
I posted this in the C&R forum and was pointed to this forum. Hopefully its OK to post here as well:

Does anyone who is an FFL01 or who works for one have any instructions on doing a PPT for a C&R handgun with a 10-day wait exemption for holders of a C&R/COE? I was at a store today trying to get a C&R handgun transferred to me (I have a C&R/COE) but the store didn't know how to process with the 10-day wait exemption. They said they would like to do it but didn't know how to enter it. They even let us look at the computer screen with them and under the section for PPTs, the drop down menu for the 10-day wait exemption did not have an option for C&R/COE holders.

I found a calguns thread from a couple of years ago in which someone said there was this glitch with the software and that the FFL01 had to accept the C&R handgun into their stock and then "sell" it to you. Is that still the case?

We tried to call another local store to see if they could do the transfer but after being on hold forever while they were trying to see if they could do it, we hung up. In the end I didn't want to inconvenience the seller any more with the delay so we did the normal transfer and I'll be making the long drive in a couple of weeks to pick up the piece.

Anyway, I was hoping an FFL01 could chime in so I (and anyone else) can keep the instructions handy just in case I go into another store that doesn't know how to do this.. I do believe the LGS wanted to do this, they just didn't know how.

Thanks,

I could be wrong, but I don’t think your 03FFL/COE is an exemption for the waiting period for C&R handguns in CA. Other states yes, but I’m pretty sure CA says no go.

Hopefully someone else will chime in that may no for sure as I would like to know if I am correct or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 10-23-2018, 5:03 PM

The Cal. AG's website FAQ for dealers lists having a C&R/COE as an exemption from the waiting period when purchasing a C&R: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs#11G

It doesn't say how to process it though.
Old 10-23-2018, 5:06 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Main Menu -> Submit DROS -> Curio/Relic Handgun Sale

Only way to get 10 day wait exemption.
phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links
Old 10-23-2018, 5:12 PM
Veteran Member

Since it's a PPT, the best answer would to have the FFL contact DOJ to request instructions. I've only done the exemption via the C&R option where we accepted a shipment for the C&R holder. The folks that came in to PPT didn't want to deal with it and just waited the 10-days.

There does not appear to be any clear cut way of doing a C&R Holder/transferee PPT via DES even though it is completely legal to do so. Thank DOJ for that.

The answer from DOJ to handle these should naturally translate for modern pistol PPT's also.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom

Last edited by code_blue; 10-23-2018 at 5:20 PM..
Old 10-23-2018, 5:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugimports View Post
Main Menu -> Submit DROS -> Curio/Relic Handgun Sale

Only way to get 10 day wait exemption.

We can't record the seller info this way. That's the issue.

I guess, as alluded to, the FFL could take in the seller's info and record it as a received item and transfer it to the 03 holder as a dealer sale, but I doubt that majority of FFL's will do this.

Old 10-23-2018, 5:15 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
We can't record the seller info this way. That's the issue.

I guess, as alluded to, the FFL could take in the seller's info and record it as a received item and transfer it to the 03 holder as a dealer sale, but I doubt that majority of FFL's will do this.
True, but with the system provided that's the only way to get the 10 day exempt.

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Old 10-23-2018, 5:17 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
Since it's a PPT, the best answer would to have the FFL contact DOJ to request instructions. I've only done the exemption via the C&R option where we accepted a shipment for the C&R holder. The folks that came in to PPT didn't want to deal with it and just waited the 10-days.

There does not appear to be any clear cut way of doing a C&R Holder/transferee PPT via DES even though it is completely legal to do so. Thank DOJ for that.

The answer from DOJ to handle these should naturally translate for modern pistol PPT's also.
What do you mean for modern PPTs as well? There is no C&R/COE 10 day wait exemption for modern pistols. DOJ has provided instructions on how to do the 1-in-30 C&R/COE exempt for modern firearms. They actually say to use the C&R option and use Waiting Period Exemption -> Collector.

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Old 10-23-2018, 5:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugimports View Post
What do you mean for modern PPTs as well? There is no C&R/COE 10 day wait exemption for modern pistols. DOJ has provided instructions on how to do the 1-in-30 C&R/COE exempt for modern firearms. They actually say to use the C&R option and use Waiting Period Exemption -> Collector.

Sorry, I was thinking of 1-30. Lack of sleep. I'll edit the post.

Old 10-23-2018, 5:22 PM

FFL submits PPT Handgun Transaction, and delivers C&R handgun immediately. Receiver signs pending DROS.

FFL then has to call the DOJ DES helpline after submitting the PPT Handgun Transaction and delivering the firearm. DOJ will take down certain info, including DROS# and date/time of delivery, and then manually update the delivery date/time on their end.