Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-03-2022, 3:03 PM
Veteran Member

Default Real ID to sell gun?

I am sure this has been covered many times, but my google-fu is weak today. Is the real ID needed to sell a gun?

I want to buy something, and perspective seller has CADL with "federal limits apply" marking on it.

EDIT 2020: To be fair that seems to apply to many Westerners also.
Old 08-03-2022, 3:06 PM
Veteran Member

TBH, it depends on the FFL. It shouldn’t matter for the seller but I’ve noticed some FFLs care

Call ahead and inquire for the FFL you plan on using.

Old 08-03-2022, 4:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblat View Post
I am sure this has been covered many times, but my google-fu is weak today. Is the real ID needed to sell a gun?

I want to buy something, and perspective seller has CADL with "federal limits apply" marking on it.
The only real issue is that if the PPT gets denied, in order for the dealer to turn it around back to the original owner, they need a real ID or birth cert or passport. Its just about doing the PPT and making sure everything is in line for all scenarios.
Old 08-03-2022, 4:19 PM

I thought with any firearm transaction (doesn't matter if you're buying new from a shop or doing a PPT as the buyer or seller) you simply need the additional correct documentation with an address that matches your DL.
Old 08-03-2022, 9:24 PM

Non-issue for the seller.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:02 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

See also the FAQ thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1629288
When a Long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, Pursuing Invariably the Same Object, Evinces a Design to Reduce Them [I.E. the People] Under Absolute Despotism, It Is Their Right, It Is Their Duty, to Throw off Such Government, and to Provide New Guards for Their Future Security.”
– Declaration of Independence, July 4th, 1776
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-04-2022, 7:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Illegal alien DL works 100% for me. I see zero reason to get a real ID. If everyone in CA got one, we would be a 100% illegal alien population instead of 30%.
Old 08-04-2022, 8:50 AM
Veteran Member

Illegal alien DL and passport card works fine for me. I started the RealScamID process right before the Scamdemic and never could go to the DMV to complete the process. I have since had second thoughts about getting a RealScamID, especially since the DMV was pushing them pretty hard. Screw California for corrupting the DL system with illegal alien licenses. At this point I prefer to live in the shadows. Our government is corrupt beyond repair and I see no need to play by their rules.

Old 08-04-2022, 4:19 PM

A Real ID is needed for commercial air travel. If you go to the airport without a Real ID, you will be denied entry to the gate areas by the TSA. These days, considering the ways that the public behaves in general and flight delays, it's no wonder some don't feel the need to travel by commercial airline.

Last edited by Tahoeshooter; 08-04-2022 at 4:23 PM..
Old 08-04-2022, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoeshooter View Post
A Real ID is needed for commercial air travel. If you go to the airport without a Real ID, you will be denied entry to the gate areas by the TSA. These days, considering the ways that the public behaves in general and flight delays, it's no wonder some don't feel the need to travel by commercial airline.
This is the reason I got the non-illegal alien ID. I travel for work quite a bit, I use both ID and passport, one at a time of course. I have them as backup just in case I misplace/lose one.

OP, I sold a few pistols using the illegal alien ID a couple of years back, didn't really have any issues.
Old 08-04-2022, 7:20 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
A Real ID is needed for commercial air travel.
Or, not-Real-ID plus valid passport or passport card.
When a Long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, Pursuing Invariably the Same Object, Evinces a Design to Reduce Them [I.E. the People] Under Absolute Despotism, It Is Their Right, It Is Their Duty, to Throw off Such Government, and to Provide New Guards for Their Future Security.”
– Declaration of Independence, July 4th, 1776
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-05-2022, 7:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

You don't need "real ID" until next year, maybe longer if it's delayed for the third time. I just use a passport with it if ever needed. So far, it's not.

Getting off for a traffic ticket is another bennie for the illegal license.
Old 08-05-2022, 2:49 PM

Yes, a current valid US passport is the golden ID for most things.
Old 08-05-2022, 2:55 PM

Not necessary. Can have Federal limits apply on it and totally acceptable for the seller with no other i.d. need
Old 08-05-2022, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
You don't need "real ID" until next year, maybe longer if it's delayed for the third time. I just use a passport with it if ever needed. So far, it's not.

Getting off for a traffic ticket is another bennie for the illegal license.
True, I didn't realize the Real ID req was postponed until May 2023.

What is a "non-illegal alien ID"? Is it a form of driver's license or just an ID that is accepted by official institutions?

Last edited by Tahoeshooter; 08-05-2022 at 2:59 PM..
Old 08-05-2022, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes, a current valid US passport is the golden ID for most things.
Family of 4 shell out five hundred plus for big Gov.
Old 08-05-2022, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Illegal alien DL works 100% for me. I see zero reason to get a real ID. If everyone in CA got one, we would be a 100% illegal alien population instead of 30%.
It's illegal for Mexican Citizens to own fire arms. Ironic isn't it. Even if they move to the US, they are still under Mexican jurisdiction.
Old 08-05-2022, 3:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvberinger View Post
It's illegal for Mexican Citizens to own fire arms. Ironic isn't it. Even if they move to the US, they are still under Mexican jurisdiction.
Wait what?

This thread took a different turn.

Old 08-05-2022, 3:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Or, not-Real-ID plus valid passport or passport card.
Just a nit pick but the passport or passport card means you don't need any other ID for travel.
Old 08-05-2022, 3:59 PM

I am going to break down and get mine as local gun shops don’t take military IDs as a valid form of real ID. You can use a military ID for other things that require a real ID but not firearms related stuff as I recently discovered.
Old 08-06-2022, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderThanDirt View Post
Illegal alien DL and passport card works fine for me. I started the RealScamID process right before the Scamdemic and never could go to the DMV to complete the process. I have since had second thoughts about getting a RealScamID, especially since the DMV was pushing them pretty hard. Screw California for corrupting the DL system with illegal alien licenses. At this point I prefer to live in the shadows. Our government is corrupt beyond repair and I see no need to play by their rules.
My Kaliforniastan DL needed renewal in the middle of the scamdemic and the DMV offices were a cluster f*ck and you had to go in for a REAL ID with your "documents" to be scanned by the DMV dolts.

I had no intention of getting REAL ID anyway, so I was able to renew online, four months prior to expiration for an Illegal Alien DL. One of my primary concerns about a Kaliforniastan REAL ID is having those idiot's scan and database my certified birth certificate, Social Security Card and proof of residence documents! I have always thought all that DMV info would be ripe for a data breach or "leak" so forget that DMV nonsense and now look what just happend with all the LTC holders having their data doxxed by the DOJ dolts!! Will just use my USA Passport Card for domestic air travel in the future and that is all they are getting, as that is all that's required!