Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2015, 9:56 AM

Default Asians with Guns!

Saw the Mexicans/Latinos with guns thread and was inspired by the interesting discussion there. I know from my PPT's that there's a good number of my Asian brothers (possibly sisters?) on Calguns!

Specifically I'm interested in your national/ethnic background, and what your community's stance on guns is. I'm Taiwanese-American, born in the US (Texas). Consider myself an American first, second and third.

To call my family "anti-gun" would be an understatement, I received a good thrashing from my dad for making "gun fingers" as a kid. Even today I keep it on the D-low with a lot of people around me, especially relatives. Taiwanese people all think guns = azn pride gangsta.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:27 AM

I come from a family U.S. Army veterans - uncles who served with the 100th and 442nd RCT during WWII, my dad served in Korea - so firearms have always been part of my family. My initial NRA membership as a kid was paid for by my uncle who used to take me shooting with starting when I was 6 years old (I don't think my mom and dad had a choice since they both worked long hours and my uncle, who was an auto mechanic, picked me up after school, so I went with him to either work on hot rods or the shooting range).
Old 03-05-2015, 11:35 AM

Civilians in China are not allowed to own any firearms, Japan also. My parents were totally anti-gun ("Gun only for soldier, cop and robbers"). I'm also 1st generation Taiwanese/Chinese, I don't think it is as uncommon as you think.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk94044 View Post
Civilians in China are not allowed to own any firearms, Japan also. My parents were totally anti-gun ("Gun only for soldier, cop and robbers"). I'm also 1st generation Taiwanese/Chinese, I don't think it is as uncommon as you think.
What I've noticed is that with the older generation, they split into the venemently anti gun, and the "I can't believe this is legal" pro gun group.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Born in Cavite City, Philippines, grew up in CA and pledge allegiance to those who support and defend the constitution of 'Merica. I'm a naturalized freedom loving U.S. Citizen and very lucky (Thanks to my hard working parents who immigrated to U.S. in early 70's) and grateful to be living IMO, the best country, state (other than the unconstitutional gun laws) and city in the world.

I've wanted to exercise my right to bear arms since I was a wee lad.

And, thus I shall.

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
"Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze
Old 03-05-2015, 4:54 PM

I was born in CA. My parents were born in the Philippines. My mom was against my first firearms purchase and my dad was enthusiastic. My wife born in the Philippines wasn't happy about my fondness to firearms but now she has been desynthesized to them. I think if gun laws in the Philippines were more like the USA's there would be more gun ownership in the Philippines. As it is I believe it's difficult for the average citizen to legally possess a firearm.

My opinion is that first generation Filipinos living in the US probably (1) have more Rolex watches than firearms and (2) real estate/houses... My dad and Uncles never purchased a firearm...
Old 03-05-2015, 4:57 PM

I wouldn't say Filipino's are antigun...maybe they most believe possession isn't necessary...
Old 03-05-2015, 5:47 PM

Smile Asain shooters

First gen born in USA.American all the way then Chinese.Just look at my screen name.It says it all.

Last edited by crazychinaman; 03-05-2015 at 6:23 PM..
Old 03-05-2015, 6:04 PM

Third generation ABC here, my dad had guns as well as my grandfather, they shot at the crows in the fields back in the day. I've been shooting since I was six but didn't get bit by the gun bug until a few years ago, since then I've filled two safes, might be working on a third!
Old 03-08-2015, 4:00 AM

guns have always been a means of survival and protection in my family. Also a means of being able to provide food for the family for my grand parents.

nothing new here. unless you have a superultronlaserphasebursttacticalalienbusterghost suckerpimp gun.

'15 Jeep JKUR
Old 03-08-2015, 7:05 AM

Many asians don't invest into firearms until someone breaks into their house or a life threatening situation happens to them, by then I tell them you're lucky to be alive.

July 4 I came home with my first firearm SP2022, my mom asked me is that real, I told her does it look real? She picked it up then got a bamboo stick and I ran around the house in circles trying to avoiding the whip lash.

I applied for my CCW in December and I told my her a Sheriff will be doing a residency check, but my mom thought process was, "WHY THE **** ARE YOU HAVING THEM COME TO OUR HOUSE YOU ******."

My dad on the other hand, chill as a donkey, don't know whether if that's a compliment or insult to him..

Funny thing now I just recently built my AR and no reaction, either she doesn't care anymore or just saving the rage for later.

I don't think they'll fully understand, but that's okay, I don't expect them to.
Old 03-08-2015, 7:22 AM
Veteran Member

I think it's just great. The more the merrier and the less attention paid to the cranky old "white" guys the better.

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."
Old 03-08-2015, 8:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyyke View Post
I'm Taiwanese-American, born in the US (Texas).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkjA11Z2OfI
Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

- from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
(Revised Eastern Sect Edition)
Old 03-08-2015, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rromeo View Post
That guy is funny.
Old 03-08-2015, 8:39 AM
Veteran Member

Taiwanese-American here, can confirm parents are extremely anti-gun. Seriously think they'd have heart attacks if they ever saw my collection. It's weird though, 3 of my other Taiwanese-American friends' parents are super cool about them having guns. Oh well!
Old 03-08-2015, 9:13 AM

Japanese/Korean...mom/dad are pro gun for various reasons.
Old 03-08-2015, 9:26 AM

Made in the usa.
originally a texan
like father like son..... we are both into guns.
Old 03-08-2015, 9:30 AM

Born in Taiwan but came here whrn I was 3. Whole family into guns. Been shooting since 5. Strange that many people ftom Taiwan are against guns. Most, if not all, of the men had to serve in the military so they should be intimately familiar
with guns.
Old 03-09-2015, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rromeo View Post
Holy crap I **** you not, that dude is a dead ringer for my uncle, 80's curls and all.

Or I guess all us Asians DO look the same...
Old 03-09-2015, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityHunt3r View Post
Made in the usa.
originally a texan
like father like son..... we are both into guns.
Woot Asian-Texans represent!

Man there are way more Taiwanese guys here than I was thinking. It's funny my girlfriend who is Chinese (China-Chinese for those who know) told me "Taiwanese men love guns". I thought that was a weird stereotype but I guess it's kind of true.
Old 03-09-2015, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem1950 View Post
I think it's just great. The more the merrier and the less attention paid to the cranky old "white" guys the better.
My girl always makes fun of me for being an old white man at heart, for loving guns, whiskey and steak so very much.
Old 03-11-2015, 6:34 AM

First generation Chinese American; born and raised in So Cal. I'm also the first to have served in the military.

My parents are anti-gun as well but it seems that they're anti anything remotely dangerous.
Old 03-11-2015, 6:54 AM
Veteran Member

I'm 2nd generation on filipino on my father's side. My Grandpa fought the Japanese in WWII as a guerrilla fighter after they burned down his village. Somehow he emigrated to America and faked his birth certificate (to a younger age) in order to join the Army.

So guns were not an uncommon thing in his home, hell I remember there being a dedicated closet in the home with a bolted door just full of rifles and revolvers
Old 03-11-2015, 6:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by revilo012 View Post
I was born in CA. My parents were born in the Philippines. My mom was against my first firearms purchase and my dad was enthusiastic. My wife born in the Philippines wasn't happy about my fondness to firearms but now she has been desynthesized to them. I think if gun laws in the Philippines were more like the USA's there would be more gun ownership in the Philippines. As it is I believe it's difficult for the average citizen to legally possess a firearm.

My opinion is that first generation Filipinos living in the US probably (1) have more Rolex watches than firearms and (2) real estate/houses... My dad and Uncles never purchased a firearm...
interesting. my dad was born and raised in the philippines after ww2 and then immigrated to california. my dad prides his guns over any watch or other "manly" jewelry.

it is actually very easy to buy guns in the philippines. i bought two 45s when i was over there last year for $100 a piece. i plan to buy an actual full blown m16 when i am over next, of course all these firearms will be kept in the philippines.
Old 03-15-2015, 8:39 PM

Taiwanese and Irish. Krazy Azian here too.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:46 PM

Filipino and Chinese here. I noticed that many, if not all, of my mom's side of the family are not into guns at all. (filipino side) but my dad's side (chinese) are all into firearms. Mostly my cousin haha. Here is mine and my girlfriend's MP9s

Old 03-15-2015, 10:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My dad was an armorer, I'm prior military and my little brother is about to become an army officer so guns are the normal in our household. I enjoy talking to my dad about guns, he's seen and handled a lot more than I have.
Old 03-16-2015, 8:04 PM
Veteran Member

Of all of the people I sold/buy guys from in the marketplace over 70% of them were asian for some reason.
Old 03-16-2015, 8:22 PM

Well color me surprised. I'm Taiwanese, too. First exposure to guns was my dad arming up due to the Rodney King riots. After the scare was gone, it was heavy resistance to any guns.
Old 03-16-2015, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Bad info there. Japanese can own firearms. They cannot own handguns. Firearm ownership there is difficult, rare, and mostly limited to hunters and farmers in very rural areas. My old middle school had stuffed bears. They were not taken with spears, bows, rocks, etc...so, you figure it out. Also, my wife's uncle hunts his own deer sashimi. One of his rifles was a gift from a US diplomat who hunted while living in Japan decades ago, and couldn't take his rifle home with him.
Old 04-01-2015, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TomT_ View Post
Of all of the people I sold/buy guys from in the marketplace over 70% of them were asian for some reason.
I noticed this exact proportion, about 7 in 10 guys I deal with turn out to be Asians.
Old 04-01-2015, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyrex View Post
Well color me surprised. I'm Taiwanese, too. First exposure to guns was my dad arming up due to the Rodney King riots. After the scare was gone, it was heavy resistance to any guns.
Our numbers keep growing! Maybe we need to arrange a Taiwanese-American Range Trip Slash Cultural Exchange... hit the range then beef noodle soup or pork chop rice after??
Old 04-10-2015, 9:20 AM

Korean. Born and raised in northern, southern California. Have a family history in the military. Joined the army in 2000 fully ets'ed in 2011. Currently in the southbay and starting my gun hobbie up again after selling everything in 2010
Old 04-21-2015, 1:23 PM

Born and raised in CA. Parents were immigrants from Taiwan/Chinese. Dad wasnt for or against guns and took us out to the range a few times and showed me and my siblings gun safety.
When I was old enough to buy my own pistol my dad took me to a LGS.
From my perspective almost all the asian friends I have are fervent gun owners / supporters. Oddly enough many of us have yet to leave CA even though we ***** about it all the time in terms of gun rights.
Old 04-21-2015, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richca View Post
From my perspective almost all the asian friends I have are fervent gun owners / supporters. Oddly enough many of us have yet to leave CA even though we ***** about it all the time in terms of gun rights.
This has been my exact observation, among my mostly Chinese/HK/Taiwan friends pretty much 3/4 of the males are gun owners, and there is nary an anti in sight.
Old 04-21-2015, 2:49 PM

Born in Seoul, came over when I was 1. My family never owned firearms and I am the only one in the immediate family who currently owns one. My parents are horrified that I own guns. The only thing they know about guns is what they see in the news and what they hear from their Church. My mom has become more accepting and occasionally asks how I'm doing in competition (IDPA and USPSA), my Dad on the otherhand is trying the back door and pleading with my wife to pressure me to get rid of them.
Old 04-21-2015, 6:35 PM

I'm 100% Happa

Mom was born in Saigon, stay-at-home mom to my sisters and me.
Dad was raised on a farm in Virginia, spent his working life in the military - CW4 active and reserves - and with various defense contractors.

I was born in San Jose, raised on Orange County.

No firearms in the house when I was growing up, though my parents weren't pro- or anti-gun. But I did have my trusty Red Ryder BB gun to plink with in the backyard.

American voters of Vietnamese descent are generally the opposite of other Asian voters:
We tend to turn out in higher numbers, and we tend to lean right.
And in my experience, we also own more guns.
All of this makes sense, when you consider our history.
Old 04-23-2015, 5:39 PM

I'm half white, half Filipino, and 300% American.

Growing up, my family always had guns in the household but I never saw them. I only found out after I moved out that my grandpa, aunt, and uncles had them.

One of my Filipino friends can't get a gun because he still lives with his parents and they'd flip out (pun intended) if they saw him with one.

Nowadays at the range and at gun stores I see mostly white ppl and Asians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2015, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TomT_ View Post

It's because we're cheap and will never pay retail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2015, 5:55 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

My dad is Chinese and my mom is Mexican, so naturally I look Filipino lol.

Born and raised in So Cal so I have the natural accent and manner of speaking of a SoCaler (is there such a thing?)

Dad purchased pellet and BB guns for us kids to use, we even set up a "range" on the drive way. Those were the days, circa 1960s, try that now see what happens.

My dad was cool with firearms (He was in the Army), my mom not so much.

When she she found out I had firearms, she was a bit shocked, but by then it was too late (I was in my early forties already). I haven't told her how many I have...and I intend to keep it that way. No need to upset mom.

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Last edited by Maltese Falcon; 04-23-2015 at 5:57 PM..