Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 06-17-2021, 12:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

That's true enough, and I feel the pain, having bought a 6.5 PRC about when the panic started. I have found ammo here and there but it was expensive. I was mostly responding to the "farther the better" part of his request, but if 1200-1400 yards will do the trick, CM will fill the bill, either 6 or 6.5.
Old 06-17-2021, 1:09 PM

My local Big 5 sells a scoped savage axis in 30-06 for around 500. You shouldn't throw a grand at a bolt gun, you might not like it and losing 25% on 1000 sucks harder than 25% on 500.
Old 06-17-2021, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWil View Post
My local Big 5 sells a scoped savage axis in 30-06 for around 500. You shouldn't throw a grand at a bolt gun, you might not like it and losing 25% on 1000 sucks harder than 25% on 500.
A 6.3 lbs 30-06 as a first rifle is a recipe for disaster
Old 06-17-2021, 1:36 PM

Telling a beginner they need to spend 1000's is poor advice. The flip side is telling the user to not spend enough to acquire the appropriate gear.

No one needs to spend 1000s and 1000s to get started in any rifle competition. BUT they do need to be willing to spend some amount of money to get appropriate gear for their level. which even as a beginner won't be "cheap".

some competitive shooting disciplines do lend them self to just grab a gun and start participating. BUT most do not. I found it very frustrating to not have appropriate gear for the few I tried while following the "get get out there" advice with what you had/going cheap.

The one I had the most fun with, I had an appropriate rifle.

my two cents... do NOT go cheap. Be willing to spend what it takes to get an appropriate rifle. not the most expensive, top of the line...but appropriate.

Example...
https://www.remarms.com/rifles/bolt-...-stainless-5-r

skip the 300 win mag though.

Ya, I know probably not laying around on a gun shop shelf right now....but they will be in the future and you might find a used one at a fair price if you look around.

Last edited by 1859sharps; 06-17-2021 at 1:38 PM..
Old 06-17-2021, 3:04 PM
Veteran Member

OP, I was in the same boat as you are not too long ago. I consulted with all the wonderful people in this website and was given lots of useful/desirable advise.

I settled on a budget north of $4k. I worked hard to have that budget, by skimping on vacation, skimping eating out (which I love doing), and skimping on buying new clothing. Its a sacrifice to do away with several indulgences so I can meet another indulgence.

From digesting all the people's advises here, I settled on getting a new Remington 700 5R, settled on getting a Leupold glass, settled on spending in truing the bolt, spending on this and that and this and that.

I narrowed down my caliber choices to either a .308 or the 6.5 creedmore round. Those two calibers are the mainstream, the darling rounds of long range shooters back then. Sure, there are more capable rounds for sniping, but I just want the mainstream. Argument as to which is better goes back and forth.

BUT, there is a LIMITATION......your health. So, ask yourself. Are you healthy enough to go into long range shooting?? Your eyesight, are they good enough for long range shooting? Do you have the TIME to learn this indulgence??

See, this was my experience. My eyesight AND lack of time derailed my foray into long range shooting. You do need time, its an investment you cannot skimp on. The " things " are relatively easy to acquire.

Those nice, superb equipment can be acquired. Heck you can even loan money from a bank (if you have good credit) that you can easily spend north of $20K.

Just food for thought, because from your thread, you are a newbie to rifles, long range shooting, and such......as I am.

" A man has got to know this limitations "--------Dirty Harry Callaghan.

Good luck.

Last edited by DArBad; 06-19-2021 at 10:12 PM..
Old 06-17-2021, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Dandy04
There are many different long-range disciplines out there.
Our group is one of the smaller disciplines but we shoot further than most shooters will ever shoot in there lifetimes.
I don't see your location listed but this sunday we are shooting a match above UpperLake California and you are cordially invited to shoot with us using one of my guns. Weather will be extremely hot so bring an ice chest.
Lynn 707-791-8147
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 06-17-2021, 11:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
That's why I said 6.5 PRC way back at the beginning. 1600 yard performance, less felt recoil than a .308.
LMFAO.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 06-20-2021, 6:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeTheClay View Post
$450 for the Vortex FFP is a great start

https://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-vip...43127-new.aspx
That's a good deal!

I started with a doo-doo Vortex Diamondback Tactical and then moved up to a Razor, the quality and price are very different. If I saw this deal, I would've settled with this deal.

As for OP, Just stick with .308. Common caliber, common ammo, easy to find, and match ammo is on par with .223 and 6.5cm in price, but more common. You'll get bigger holes as well . Recoil is a satisfying punch.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucDan View Post
That's a good deal!

I started with a doo-doo Vortex Diamondback Tactical and then moved up to a Razor, the quality and price are very different. If I saw this deal, I would've settled with this deal.

As for OP, Just stick with .308. Common caliber, common ammo, easy to find, and match ammo is on par with .223 and 6.5cm in price, but more common. You'll get bigger holes as well . Recoil is a satisfying punch.
Ahem, from the OP:
Quote:
I'm looking at getting into rifles soon for long range. The longer the better.
Old 06-20-2021, 2:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Ahem, from the OP:
You can take .308 to 1000 yards. How far does OP realistically want to go? Everyone wants a gun that can go a mile, but don't have the money or skill to do it.

If not .308, then 6.5CM
Old 06-21-2021, 7:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucDan View Post
You can take .308 to 1000 yards. How far does OP realistically want to go? Everyone wants a gun that can go a mile, but don't have the money or skill to do it.

If not .308, then 6.5CM
Yeah, the Palma boys have been driving .308 to 1,000 yards since forever.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."