Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-07-2019, 6:37 PM
ACfixer's Avatar
ACfixer ACfixer is offline
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KAPV-L35 SoCal
Posts: 2,428
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default Drew a Coeus Whitetail tag in AZ

A few of us drew a coues whitetail tag for AZ, anybody been? Near Globe.

Rifle, end of October.
__________________


Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-07-2019, 8:06 PM
Spyder's Avatar
Spyder Spyder is offline
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In a shack, in the woods
Posts: 12,407
iTrader: 106 / 100%
Default

Lucckkkyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

I'm going to start working towards that next year. Depending on finances, I may try archery in January, but I doubt it.

Write up a trip plan/outcome like I did for my Axis deer hunt! I want to learn about it!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-07-2019, 8:31 PM
ACfixer's Avatar
ACfixer ACfixer is offline
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KAPV-L35 SoCal
Posts: 2,428
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Hahaha thanks, and yeah will-do. I think I still owe you guys a report on the pig hunt last November.
__________________


Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-07-2019, 11:19 PM
tsmithson tsmithson is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 518
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Archery Coues for me on Momís property. Trophy bucks pass 20 yards from the house. Near Tombstone AZ.
Good luck on your hunt.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-08-2019, 7:22 AM
180ls1's Avatar
180ls1 180ls1 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: all over
Posts: 5,964
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

I'll be out there in August for a couple of days (if its cool enough) and then again in January. Archery mule deer though.
__________________
Shop at Amazon via shop42a.com - up to 15% of all sales go back to Calguns Foundation!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-08-2019, 7:29 AM
NorCalFocus's Avatar
NorCalFocus NorCalFocus is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 3,914
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
A few of us drew a coues whitetail tag for AZ, anybody been? Near Globe.

Rifle, end of October.
Unit 24A? Any idea of what part of the unit your going to hunt?

Yes I drew last year for my first Coues Tag. My pops and I both drew this year, for unit 34A, third hunt. (that was our first choice). I like 34A because there is a ton of public land on it. You have to hike to get away from people, but that okay.

Coues deer hunting is nothing like Mule Deer or Coastal Black Tail hunting. If you've never been or aren't going with someone experienced, its going to be a tough hunt. Here's some big tips...

1. If don't already have them, get a great pair or 12x or 15x Bino's and a tripod to mount them on. These deer will lay down under a tree and not move for hours. The only thing that may give them away is an ear flicker, or a head turn showing you antlers. Get high and glass down and across canyons.

2. Be prepared to walk/hike then sit all day. As I said your best success will come from sitting high and glassing. So you'll need to get to a knob that provides you the best view, that may require hiking in a bit. Then sit down, shutup, and glass until its dark.

3. Make sure your comfortable taking a 300 yard shot, maybe even a 500. Shots on these deer under 100 are possible, but not likely. Guys do kill them with a bow. You'll be hunting these deer on the second hunt. So they'll be pressured, and aware of any threat. Guys that kill them with a bow, do so in January, during the rut when the deer get stupid.

I'm not an expert by any means. But I've spent the last year researching these deer. Ask any questions you'd like, I'll gladly try to help.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-08-2019, 7:31 AM
NorCalFocus's Avatar
NorCalFocus NorCalFocus is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 3,914
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithson View Post
Archery Coues for me on Momís property. Trophy bucks pass 20 yards from the house. Near Tombstone AZ.
Good luck on your hunt.
Thats not hunting. That pest control on private property.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-08-2019, 7:38 AM
USMCM16A2 USMCM16A2 is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,741
iTrader: 106 / 100%
Default

Congrats A2
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-08-2019, 8:39 AM
Don@Tahoe's Avatar
Don@Tahoe Don@Tahoe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 1,057
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

That's a pretty good draw, wear your snake boots, it's all about hunting sunrise and sundown, take a nap during the day, we drew 4 buck tags in unit 7 for nov 1st, not the best unit for mule deer but the strip takes a minimum of 15 points, anyway good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-08-2019, 8:41 AM
ACfixer's Avatar
ACfixer ACfixer is offline
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KAPV-L35 SoCal
Posts: 2,428
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
Unit 24A? Any idea of what part of the unit your going to hunt?

Yes I drew last year for my first Coues Tag. My pops and I both drew this year, for unit 34A, third hunt. (that was our first choice). I like 34A because there is a ton of public land on it. You have to hike to get away from people, but that okay.

Coues deer hunting is nothing like Mule Deer or Coastal Black Tail hunting. If you've never been or aren't going with someone experienced, its going to be a tough hunt. Here's some big tips...

1. If don't already have them, get a great pair or 12x or 15x Bino's and a tripod to mount them on. These deer will lay down under a tree and not move for hours. The only thing that may give them away is an ear flicker, or a head turn showing you antlers. Get high and glass down and across canyons.

2. Be prepared to walk/hike then sit all day. As I said your best success will come from sitting high and glassing. So you'll need to get to a knob that provides you the best view, that may require hiking in a bit. Then sit down, shutup, and glass until its dark.

3. Make sure your comfortable taking a 300 yard shot, maybe even a 500. Shots on these deer under 100 are possible, but not likely. Guys do kill them with a bow. You'll be hunting these deer on the second hunt. So they'll be pressured, and aware of any threat. Guys that kill them with a bow, do so in January, during the rut when the deer get stupid.

I'm not an expert by any means. But I've spent the last year researching these deer. Ask any questions you'd like, I'll gladly try to help.
Awesome, great info! All I was told is that it's in the "Globe" zone, I've never hunted AZ or coues before so I'm all ears. We are planning on hiking in 10+ miles from camp, I'm in shape and I have the gear except I think I need some better spotting glass based on your report. I'm not afraid to spend some money to improve my odds, good gear is never a waste.

I'm good to 300 with my .308 and a 3x10 VX-2, I should probably hit the range and see how I am out to 400. We have a pretty good 400 yard target over rising terrain at our gun club so I can brush up. Again based on your report I'll probably zero at 200?

Suggest anything better than a .308? I have a 7 mag but I generally shoot my .308 a little better I think and at the size and distances mentioned it should be okay right?
__________________


Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-08-2019, 8:49 AM
Don@Tahoe's Avatar
Don@Tahoe Don@Tahoe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 1,057
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Keep in mind those deer are super small, about the size of a big dog, really easy to blow the heck out of....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-08-2019, 8:53 AM
ACfixer's Avatar
ACfixer ACfixer is offline
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KAPV-L35 SoCal
Posts: 2,428
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don@Tahoe View Post
Keep in mind those deer are super small, about the size of a big dog, really easy to blow the heck out of....
I've heard that... but the pics I see online don't look THAT small. I have some 110g rounds for my .308, maybe some smaller ones too I'll check. I have a badazz .22-250 but it's a bull barrel beast and not something I'm looking to pack in and out 10-12 miles.

Okay, I just looked them up... yeah... 80-100lbs. I'll need to see what kind of ammo I have, otherwise there's a guy in the marketplace selling a nice 700 in .22-250 that might be a good choice.
__________________


Buy made in USA whenever possible.

Last edited by ACfixer; 07-08-2019 at 8:57 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-08-2019, 9:00 AM
NorCalFocus's Avatar
NorCalFocus NorCalFocus is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 3,914
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Awesome, great info! All I was told is that it's in the "Globe" zone, I've never hunted AZ or coues before so I'm all ears. We are planning on hiking in 10+ miles from camp, I'm in shape and I have the gear except I think I need some better spotting glass based on your report. I'm not afraid to spend some money to improve my odds, good gear is never a waste.
Well, I may be wrong, but that area is known for bigger deer, but they're fewer and further between vs some of the more southern units.

I wear lightweight boots. Your not going to encounter water or snow, so the need for a heavy heavy watertight boot isn't there. But everything in the desert is meant to hurt you. You'll get stuck, poked, scratched, clawed, or stung, by just about every plant out there. Heavy duty pants are a must. Carharts, work great. I wear 5.11 ripstop pants.

One of the best little things I got was a shammah (spelling?) Being able to cover my head while glassing is great, wrap it around your face when its colder, and its light cotton.

The big rage for Coues is 15x50 binos. Vortex Razors, or the big 3 euro glass brands. Getting them on a steady tripod, makes looking through much easier and will relax your eyes. Letting you pick up any small movement.

Quote:
I'm good to 300 with my .308 and a 3x10 VX-2, I should probably hit the range and see how I am out to 400. We have a pretty good 400 yard target over rising terrain at our gun club so I can brush up. Again based on your report I'll probably zero at 200?

Suggest anything better than a .308? I have a 7 mag but I generally shoot my .308 a little better I think and at the size and distances mentioned it should be okay right?
.308 would be fine. These deer are 100 pounds on the hoof if its a giant. Take the gun you know and trust.

I zero at 100 and dial/hold for everything, but that me. A 200 yard zero should be fine though.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-08-2019, 9:06 AM
NorCalFocus's Avatar
NorCalFocus NorCalFocus is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 3,914
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don@Tahoe View Post
Keep in mind those deer are super small, about the size of a big dog, really easy to blow the heck out of....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
I've heard that... but the pics I see online don't look THAT small. I have some 110g rounds for my .308, maybe some smaller ones too I'll check. I have a badazz .22-250 but it's a bull barrel beast and not something I'm looking to pack in and out 10-12 miles.

Okay, I just looked them up... yeah... 80-100lbs. I'll need to see what kind of ammo I have, otherwise there's a guy in the marketplace selling a nice 700 in .22-250 that might be a good choice.
I think bullet selection is more important than cartridge.

I have a 300WSM I built for hunting that I'm shooting 178 ELDX's out of. Pops will be shooting his 30-06 with 180 Nosler Partitions. They might be a bot over sized for Coues, but they also fight the wind well.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-08-2019, 9:14 AM
ACfixer's Avatar
ACfixer ACfixer is offline
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KAPV-L35 SoCal
Posts: 2,428
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

I've never met a four legged critter yet that liked the taste of a regular ol' yellow and green Core Lokt 150g. I've always been a tad skeptical of premium ammo selections (although I own a bunch) just because I've seen so many animals do a nosedive from a $18 per box Core Lokt. I don't care about the pice of the ammo obviously, but I'm money with that particular round.... Although admittedly I have probably never killed anything more than 250 yards.

This is GREAT info guys, thank you. The guys I am going with are experienced and have drawn this zone before, they already know the lay of the land as well. I haven't quizzed them on their success yet... It's my first time hunting with these guys (my GF's boss and her ex-boss) and they aren't chumps.

I'll start looking into some 10 x 50 glass NorCalFocus. I've just got my Nikon 8x32's that I normally carry. I already have a nice tripod.
__________________


Buy made in USA whenever possible.

Last edited by ACfixer; 07-08-2019 at 9:18 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-08-2019, 9:24 AM
Don@Tahoe's Avatar
Don@Tahoe Don@Tahoe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 1,057
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
Well, I may be wrong, but that area is known for bigger deer, but they're fewer and further between vs some of the more southern units.

I wear lightweight boots. Your not going to encounter water or snow, so the need for a heavy heavy watertight boot isn't there. But everything in the desert is meant to hurt you. You'll get stuck, poked, scratched, clawed, or stung, by just about every plant out there. Heavy duty pants are a must. Carharts, work great. I wear 5.11 ripstop pants.

One of the best little things I got was a shammah (spelling?) Being able to cover my head while glassing is great, wrap it around your face when its colder, and its light cotton.

The big rage for Coues is 15x50 binos. Vortex Razors, or the big 3 euro glass brands. Getting them on a steady tripod, makes looking through much easier and will relax your eyes. Letting you pick up any small movement.



.308 would be fine. These deer are 100 pounds on the hoof if its a giant. Take the gun you know and trust.

I zero at 100 and dial/hold for everything, but that me. A 200 yard zero should be fine though.

That's funny and true!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Spyder's Avatar
Spyder Spyder is offline
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In a shack, in the woods
Posts: 12,407
iTrader: 106 / 100%
Default

I'm excited to read about this as it progresses!

I wouldn't worry about the exact bullet. I would worry about my ability to get it where it needs to be at the range I'm likely to shoot at. Those little guys will go down with any legal expanding bullet, if you hit where you should.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-08-2019, 10:10 AM
ACfixer's Avatar
ACfixer ACfixer is offline
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KAPV-L35 SoCal
Posts: 2,428
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
I'm excited to read about this as it progresses!

I wouldn't worry about the exact bullet. I would worry about my ability to get it where it needs to be at the range I'm likely to shoot at. Those little guys will go down with any legal expanding bullet, if you hit where you should.
Yeah, making the shot is what it always boils down to.

And I have all my scoped hunting rifles sighted at 150, I think I'll just leave it be and work from there.
__________________


Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-08-2019, 10:39 AM
edgerly779 edgerly779 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: canoga park, ca
Posts: 12,485
iTrader: 89 / 100%
Default

we hunted near Sonoita for long time. Canelo hills area.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-08-2019, 11:16 AM
180ls1's Avatar
180ls1 180ls1 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: all over
Posts: 5,964
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
I've never met a four legged critter yet that liked the taste of a regular ol' yellow and green Core Lokt 150g. I've always been a tad skeptical of premium ammo selections (although I own a bunch) just because I've seen so many animals do a nosedive from a $18 per box Core Lokt. I don't care about the pice of the ammo obviously, but I'm money with that particular round.... Although admittedly I have probably never killed anything more than 250 yards.

This is GREAT info guys, thank you. The guys I am going with are experienced and have drawn this zone before, they already know the lay of the land as well. I haven't quizzed them on their success yet... It's my first time hunting with these guys (my GF's boss and her ex-boss) and they aren't chumps.

I'll start looking into some 10 x 50 glass NorCalFocus. I've just got my Nikon 8x32's that I normally carry. I already have a nice tripod.
8x are better for glassing off hand. Pick up a pair of 15x for your tripod instead of the 10's.
__________________
Shop at Amazon via shop42a.com - up to 15% of all sales go back to Calguns Foundation!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-08-2019, 11:20 AM
tsmithson tsmithson is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 518
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
Thats not hunting. That pest control on private property.
Iíll say this, if your archery hunting Coues, they are fast.
Last year l made a perfect shot on a great buck at 40 yds standing still broadside. That is until he dropped a full body size in half a second (jumped the string) arrow clean over the back. Next morning a trophy walked by at 20 yards and it jumped the string (at 20yards?) are you kidding me? That is unbelievable fast for an animal to duck a flying arrow at only 20 yards.
Weíll thatís the learning curve in action on Coues.

I went with the Swarovski EL 12X50 instead of the 15X56 for more versatility and smaller package. Years ago I started with a Swarovski spotting scope and Vortex binoculars. Be sure to get the best binoculars first and have Outdoorsman install a post for EZ tripod disconnect. Spotting scopes are good for trophy hunting and HEAVY to carry. Binoculars are best for spotting game.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-08-2019, 11:36 AM
Don@Tahoe's Avatar
Don@Tahoe Don@Tahoe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 1,057
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I don't mean to jack your thread but since we're talking Arizona has anyone hunted unit 7 for mule deer? Some of the peaks are 10,000 ft plus so I'm assuming they have to be migratory animals?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-08-2019, 12:30 PM
NorCalFocus's Avatar
NorCalFocus NorCalFocus is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 3,914
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don@Tahoe View Post
I don't mean to jack your thread but since we're talking Arizona has anyone hunted unit 7 for mule deer? Some of the peaks are 10,000 ft plus so I'm assuming they have to be migratory animals?


Sorry no experience up there. But your in a good general area with 9 and 10 next door.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-08-2019, 1:51 PM
180ls1's Avatar
180ls1 180ls1 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: all over
Posts: 5,964
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don@Tahoe View Post
I don't mean to jack your thread but since we're talking Arizona has anyone hunted unit 7 for mule deer? Some of the peaks are 10,000 ft plus so I'm assuming they have to be migratory animals?
I haven't hunted it but I've been there recently and researched it heavily. It's pretty thick for deer hunting, more so than I would like. The only thing I like about it is that it would have a chance for cooler weather if you hunt it during the August season. I'd go elsewhere unless you like sitting water.
__________________
Shop at Amazon via shop42a.com - up to 15% of all sales go back to Calguns Foundation!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-08-2019, 2:25 PM
ACfixer's Avatar
ACfixer ACfixer is offline
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KAPV-L35 SoCal
Posts: 2,428
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

I just got off the DGF website, looks like we're zone 32.
__________________


Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-08-2019, 8:50 PM
NorCalFocus's Avatar
NorCalFocus NorCalFocus is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 3,914
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
I just got off the DGF website, looks like we're zone 32.


Solid unit.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-09-2019, 4:57 AM
ACfixer's Avatar
ACfixer ACfixer is offline
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KAPV-L35 SoCal
Posts: 2,428
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
Solid unit.
I read up on it and it looks fairly popular but it should offer some opportunities to the guys that are willing to hike in a few miles to get away from the pressure.
__________________


Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-11-2019, 5:54 AM
ACfixer's Avatar
ACfixer ACfixer is offline
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KAPV-L35 SoCal
Posts: 2,428
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

So after talking to the guys, on of them has been 11 times to this unit, maybe the draw is easier than I thought? Does someone with prior tags get seniority or something? Anyway, he's been 11 times and has punched his ticket all 11 and he sent me pics of several trips. Told me to get my hiking boots and my rangefinder ready and get ready to eat. I don't have any reason to doubt him, seems like a square guy and he's got horns on the wall. He said his grandfather taught him how to hunt the unit.

On another note, boy the threads sure fall off quickly in this section.
__________________


Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-11-2019, 6:38 AM
edgerly779 edgerly779 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: canoga park, ca
Posts: 12,485
iTrader: 89 / 100%
Default

We just got drawn for cow elk in New Mexico. 5 hunters in 120 sq mles
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-11-2019, 7:03 AM
Don@Tahoe's Avatar
Don@Tahoe Don@Tahoe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 1,057
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Unit 32 has an almost 50% draw success rate with 400 tags issued, 40 tags go to non residents, in 2017 there was 47% hunter success rate with 182 bucks taken, you have something to be excited about, those are really good numbers!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-11-2019, 7:12 AM
ACfixer's Avatar
ACfixer ACfixer is offline
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KAPV-L35 SoCal
Posts: 2,428
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don@Tahoe View Post
Unit 32 has an almost 50% draw success rate with 400 tags issued, 40 tags go to non residents, in 2017 there was 47% hunter success rate with 182 bucks taken, you have something to be excited about, those are really good numbers!
Nice!

I'm always excited to head out in the fall and set up camp or hit a lodge anywhere Don... Even if I get skunked. If I punch my ticket, great, if I don't then I'll probably know why and learn something.
__________________


Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-11-2019, 7:24 AM
Don@Tahoe's Avatar
Don@Tahoe Don@Tahoe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 1,057
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

We are looking at vacation rentals real close to our zone, a garage is a necessity so we can cut and wrap at night and hunt during the day, way easier to process meat in a garage verses a motel room, motel managers don't tend to like that very much! lol
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-11-2019, 8:09 AM
NorCalFocus's Avatar
NorCalFocus NorCalFocus is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 3,914
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Yeah the southern units have really great draw odds. If you know where to go and how to hunt Coues, which it sounds like your buddy does, you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-11-2019, 12:14 PM
edgerly779 edgerly779 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: canoga park, ca
Posts: 12,485
iTrader: 89 / 100%
Default

we just drew 2 cowelk in new mexico.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-11-2019, 5:05 PM
ACfixer's Avatar
ACfixer ACfixer is offline
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KAPV-L35 SoCal
Posts: 2,428
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
We just got drawn for cow elk in New Mexico. 5 hunters in 120 sq mles
Start a thread my man! We want to hear about it... Where in NM?
__________________


Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:37 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.