Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2020, 4:10 PM

Default Defective gun from Turner's- won't fix

In October I purchased a NAA revolver from Turners in San Diego. Since the only one they had was the display model, I paid for it and didn't give it much thought. After the wait period, I picked it up and when I got home I noticed that the front sight had broken off. I went back the next business day (October 19) and had them ship it back for repairs. The gun came back to me on November 20, a full month after I sent it out. I thought that was the end of my problems, but under close examination, the timing on the revolver is off and you can see the side of the cylinder through the barrel on all chambers, as well as noticeably see that the cylinder is not correctly aligned (pictures included). I brought the gun back to the store today (December 1st) and was told that they were unwilling to fix the issue and that I would have to send the gun back on my own dime and 'pay for the full repair fees' since it had been more than 30 days since the purchase. Keep in mind that the gun was in repair for the entire month, and that it has been in my possession for under 2 weeks. I have fired exactly ZERO rounds through the gun because I have safety concerns about firing a gun that is out of time.

Some of the highlights of the conversation I had with the manager/employees at Turners:

-Since it has been more than 30 days it wasn't their problem (keep in mind that it was in repair for an entire month, and that I've had it less than 2 weeks)
-It's not a big issue, just shoot it and see if it works (I'd rather not shoot a gun that's out of time)
-It's not their problem, if the manufacturer sold it to them it must be a safe gun (even though it is noticeably out of time)
-And my favorite one: It's only a $300 gun, so what do I expect? I got what I paid for (I have guns more and less expensive than this one, cost is no excuse for a defective product)

We have all heard nightmare stories about Turner's, but this is my first time experiencing it for myself. I am ashamed that I have purchased multiple guns from them before simply because they are one of the closer shops around. I feel this experience was a disservice to the community as a whole, especially statements dismissing my safety concerns, saying that it's 'not our problem that the manufacturer had a problem with the gun', and that 'it's a $300 gun, what do you expect?'.

I cannot with clear conscience support or recommend a business to others that dismiss a potentially dangerous defect and are not willing to back their sales in this way and I would urge other's to be cautious as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201121_141409.jpg (111.5 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 20201121_222908.jpg (72.8 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg 20201121_223124.jpg (84.4 KB, 163 views)
Old 12-01-2020, 6:17 PM
Veteran Member

Again, Turners suuuuuuuucks!

They are not an gun store that cares about their customers. They are an outdoor store that cares about the $$$ and not customer service or good employees IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2020, 6:46 PM
Banned

A number of companies have worthless warranties. A locksmith told me of an expensive lock company, I think it was Lockmaster. Lockmaster is selling a very expensive electronic lock that they know is defective and will fail. And the warranty is one year from the day of manufacture,not the day of installation. Since locks sit on shelves, the warrant may be over before it is installed. But this works to Lockmaster's advantage. They know which products are inherently defective, you don't, and they have intentionally created a worthless warranty that maximizes their profit.

Turners has turned its back on you. By kicking you to the curb they are cutting their costs and maximizing their profit. For profit companies exist to make the most money now, devil with the future.

So, it is on you to get your pistol back to the manufacturer, so go do it before that warranty clocks out.
Old 12-01-2020, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Again, Turners suuuuuuuucks!

They are not an gun store that cares about their customers. They are an outdoor store that cares about the $$$ and not customer service or good employees IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100% agree. It's sad that big businesses are displacing local owned shops.
Old 12-01-2020, 9:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

https://www.severson.com/wp-content/...w-019-7946.pdf
Tell Turner’s “Not so fast.”
Old 12-01-2020, 9:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Not siding with Turners but don’t they make you initial that all defect and issues need to go to the manufacturer and not them?

I do see the issue that perhaps buying a floor model isn’t something that’d be in pristine condition.

There’s ThatOneTurnersGuy on here that you can PM and he’d probably assist you as he’s on the corporate side of things.

iTrader
Old 12-02-2020, 5:49 AM

Since it is a manufacturer’s defect and the gun is legally registered to you I don’t see why people think that any gun shop is responsible for fixing it. It’s the manufacturer’s responsibility. Contact them first.
Old 12-02-2020, 7:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith1911 View Post
Since it is a manufacturer’s defect and the gun is legally registered to you I don’t see why people think that any gun shop is responsible for fixing it. It’s the manufacturer’s responsibility. Contact them first.
I understand your point of view, and had the OP ordered the thing from Bud's Gun shop and had it delivered to Turner's, then the correct thing to do is contact the manufacture direct.

But, if it is stocked, displayed, and sold within a store, then Turner's is putting their "brand" on it. They took ownership and were not acting as a pass through.

Just when do we send cars, electronics, etc, back to the manufacturer? Who needs a retail store if they won't stand behind the things they stock in the store?
Old 12-02-2020, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith1911 View Post
Agree. I had problems with a Sig and a Walther. Each time I contacted the manufacturer and got the problems resolved. Never tried to go back to where I bought them. Both Sig and Walther paid for shipping both ways and fixed the problems.
Old 12-02-2020, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamfire1 View Post
I understand your point of view, and had the OP ordered the thing from Bud's Gun shop and had it delivered to Turner's, then the correct thing to do is contact the manufacture direct.

But, if it is stocked, displayed, and sold within a store, then Turner's is putting their "brand" on it. They took ownership and were not acting as a pass through.

Just when do we send cars, electronics, etc, back to the manufacturer? Who needs a retail store if they won't stand behind the things they stock in the store?
That’s not how firearm repair works. Doesn’t matter what we do with cars or anything else.
Old 12-02-2020, 9:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Question

Uhmmm... what did NAA say?
Old 12-02-2020, 9:08 AM
Veteran Member

Screw Turners and just go straight to thee source. Why not write an email to the company explaining the situation and issues? If they have any amount of integrity they'll stand by their product and make it right. If they don't make it right I'd chalk it up to experience and only buy quality firearms from this point on, never shop at Turners again and never buy anything from NAA.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:37 AM

Quick upadate: I was able to call NAA after lunch and spoke with their service rep. They took down my info and said they will email me a form tomorrow and then look to ship it back for warranty.
Old 12-04-2020, 7:50 AM

Did the manufacturer send paperwork back with it? I’ve sent numerous guns back and have always gotten a list of parts that they replaced or fixed and what they did to fix it. Sounds odd that they would send a gun back without test firing a full five rounds cylinder from the cylinder to make sure the timing was correct.

Last edited by NissanPreRunner; 12-04-2020 at 7:53 AM..
Old 01-31-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prreich View Post
In October I purchased a NAA revolver from Turners in San Diego. Since the only one they had was the display model, I paid for it and didn't give it much thought. After the wait period, I picked it up and when I got home I noticed that the front sight had broken off. I went back the next business day (October 19) and had them ship it back for repairs. The gun came back to me on November 20, a full month after I sent it out. I thought that was the end of my problems, but under close examination, the timing on the revolver is off and you can see the side of the cylinder through the barrel on all chambers, as well as noticeably see that the cylinder is not correctly aligned (pictures included). I brought the gun back to the store today (December 1st) and was told that they were unwilling to fix the issue and that I would have to send the gun back on my own dime and 'pay for the full repair fees' since it had been more than 30 days since the purchase. Keep in mind that the gun was in repair for the entire month, and that it has been in my possession for under 2 weeks. I have fired exactly ZERO rounds through the gun because I have safety concerns about firing a gun that is out of time.

Some of the highlights of the conversation I had with the manager/employees at Turners:

-Since it has been more than 30 days it wasn't their problem (keep in mind that it was in repair for an entire month, and that I've had it less than 2 weeks)
-It's not a big issue, just shoot it and see if it works (I'd rather not shoot a gun that's out of time)
-It's not their problem, if the manufacturer sold it to them it must be a safe gun (even though it is noticeably out of time)
-And my favorite one: It's only a $300 gun, so what do I expect? I got what I paid for (I have guns more and less expensive than this one, cost is no excuse for a defective product)

We have all heard nightmare stories about Turner's, but this is my first time experiencing it for myself. I am ashamed that I have purchased multiple guns from them before simply because they are one of the closer shops around. I feel this experience was a disservice to the community as a whole, especially statements dismissing my safety concerns, saying that it's 'not our problem that the manufacturer had a problem with the gun', and that 'it's a $300 gun, what do you expect?'.

I cannot with clear conscience support or recommend a business to others that dismiss a potentially dangerous defect and are not willing to back their sales in this way and I would urge other's to be cautious as well.
prreich,

I would try and contact them if e-mail is available. They just might pdf a shipping label to you for a free repair under warranty.

Mail Clerk
Old 02-01-2021, 4:58 PM

It's easier to blame Turners right? When you picked up your firearm do you know your supposed to inspect the firearm? So instead of blaming turners why not next time inspect the firearm before you pick it up. Just my two cents

Last edited by darkstar2000; 02-01-2021 at 5:00 PM..