Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 07-10-2021, 5:06 PM
Veteran Member

Default H & R M12

Some months back I glommed an H&R M12 at an estate auction. It didn't come with sights, but did have a rare Ken Viani scope rail. The rifle looked to be in excellent condition.

I had an issue with the rifle (trigger and/or bolt was dirty) which took a little time to sort out.

During the sorting out, I discovered that the prior owner had bedded the action.

I finally mounted a 6-20 Weaver Grand Slam and got a chance to sight in the H&R a few days ago. I didn't have much time, so mainly concentrated on establishing what kind of "waterline" the rifle would hold.

I got it on paper with some cheap ammo and then switched to Eley tennex. The wind was varying from a left 45 degree cross wind to about a right 45 degree crosswind. Top line was my first 5. Made an adjustment and got a second line. Then made a very small adjustment and put three in the upper left quadrant of the orange dot. This rifle seems like it has some promise.

50 yards with Eley tennex

Last edited by Mustang; 07-10-2021 at 5:49 PM..
Old 07-13-2021, 1:01 PM

Nice - the M12 is a great rifle and that mount is rock solid.
Old 07-13-2021, 2:31 PM
Veteran Member

That's a good looking rig. Not familiar with that model, but, yeah, it certainly has promise. Nice score.

MLC
Old 07-13-2021, 2:53 PM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
That's a good looking rig. Not familiar with that model, but, yeah, it certainly has promise. Nice score.

MLC
Most folks arnít. The M12 was ordered by the army when Winchester quit making the M52. Limited number made . The civilian model was the 1200. They were available via lottery thru the CMP in about Ď98. I was lucky enough to get one. Mine was in new condition with Redfield Palma rear and Olympic fronts with a dozen inserts. These are patterned after the 52s and just as accurate. Only downside is the horrible stock ergo.They weigh around 12 lbs.and have adjustable triggers.Great find Mustang on a rare gun
Old 07-13-2021, 3:31 PM

Ken Viani did some good work back in the day.
Old 07-13-2021, 8:42 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, guys.

I really lucked out on this. A few months after winning the M12, I glommed this Redfield Palma sight...

Old 07-14-2021, 3:24 PM
Veteran Member

Nice find on the Palma too.
Old 07-18-2021, 9:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman View Post
Nice find on the Palma too.
Thanks, beerman
Old 07-22-2021, 8:06 AM
Calguns Addict

I bought two of these M12's from the CMP, one with full Palma sights and another (for $100!) without sights of any kind. Back in the day, someone on Culver's forum was machining scope mounts and charging $50, so I bought one and put a Weaver 24x fixed scope on the rifle. I won more than a few 100 yard BR matches with that rifle. Still have both...

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 07-25-2021, 8:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
I bought two of these M12's from the CMP, one with full Palma sights and another (for $100!) without sights of any kind. Back in the day, someone on Culver's forum was machining scope mounts and charging $50, so I bought one and put a Weaver 24x fixed scope on the rifle. I won more than a few 100 yard BR matches with that rifle. Still have both...
would be interesting to see a photo of them.. You scored on both of them. I do remember they had a few "less sights"..Should have bought one of them too, but I was busy buying their M44s for $90.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
would be interesting to see a photo of them.. You scored on both of them. I do remember they had a few "less sights"..Should have bought one of them too, but I was busy buying their M44s for $90.
I opted for the Remington 513-T Matchmasters over the Mossbergs. The Remington's were $100, and came with Redfield #75 target sights. I bought two of those, and sold one for enough to get the other one for free (I should have bought a dozen of them ). I used that 513-T to make Distinguished Expert in Light Rifle.

The H&R Model 12's were an afterthought, just because they were totally bitchin' rifles for dirt cheap. I had already bought and received the one with the full Olympic sight set, when the "less sight" rifles came up for sale. I happened on the post in Culver's forum advertising a short run of scope mounts for $50, so I bought both a mount and the rifle. Glad I pulled the trigger on that deal.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

Last edited by bigbossman; 07-28-2021 at 10:19 AM..
Old 07-28-2021, 1:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
would be interesting to see a photo of them..
Your wish...... Notice that on the one with the Palma Olympic sights, I dished out the butt stock so I could get my fat face behind the aperture.

First up is the pair:

This is the "less sights" gun, showing the scope mount:

And now for the One with the Palma sights:

Old 07-28-2021, 1:32 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, BBM, that is an interesting scope mount. Do you know who made that?

Nice looking rifles all the way around.
Old 07-28-2021, 1:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Wow, BBM, that is an interesting scope mount. Do you know who made that?

Nice looking rifles all the way around.
Lost in the recesses of my cobweb filled mind, I’m afraid. What I can tell you is this...... I used to frequent Culver's Shooting Forum back when I was deep into Highpower and collecting Garands. When the "less sights" guns came up for sale, a member there who was a machinist designed and manufactured a run of these mounts specifically for the "less sight" rifles, and sold them for $50 each. I was able to get on his list, and so bought the rifle because of it.

Old 07-28-2021, 6:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Here is a match-winning target, shot with the scoped rifle at 100 yards. I scored a 148 out of 150. This match was shot at United Sportsmen's multi-purpose range, with the usual attendant crosswinds from left to right. As you can see, the wind bit me once or twice :-)

Old 07-30-2021, 10:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Your wish...... Notice that on the one with the Palma Olympic sights, I dished out the butt stock so I could get my fat face behind the aperture.

First up is the pair:

Noting the mounts, is an externally adjusted scope far behind?

Some of the Weaver scopes I have use a fairly fat reticle and I think don't help me in the accuracy department, especially shorter range small caliber. I like the peep and globe better.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

First up is the pair:

I like the darker finish on your rifles.

I've got an H&R 5200, which is the civilian version of the M12, with a dark walnut stock

Old 07-31-2021, 4:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
Some of the Weaver scopes I have use a fairly fat reticle and I think don't help me in the accuracy department, especially shorter range small caliber. I like the peep and globe better.
The Weaver on this rifle has the hair-thin target reticle..... very precise. Also, it was set up for shooting silhouette and benchrest, so not short range. As an aside, it didn't work so well for silhouette, too heavy.

The one set up with the Palma sights is a tack driver at 50 yards prone and sitting.

Old 08-03-2021, 4:00 PM
Veteran Member

A couple of beautiful guns BBM. I would love a Scope on mine. Sure understand the stock relief, the Crappy stock ergo is my only complaint on these guns.Thanks for posting them.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
A couple of beautiful guns BBM. I would love a Scope on mine. Sure understand the stock relief, the Crappy stock ergo is my only complaint on these guns.Thanks for posting them.
Thank you for the compliment. These guns are indeed special, except for the stupid stock geometry. I had absolutely no hesitation in taking a rasp to it - it just needed to be done in order to use the rifle properly. The stock relief is on the peep sight configured rifle, as no modification was necessary to get my face behind the scope on the other rifle.

Last edited by bigbossman; 08-04-2021 at 11:01 AM..
Old 08-04-2021, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

I've got one of those "dog leg" Redfield peep sights. I wonder if it would work on the M12 without modifying the stock.

Old 08-05-2021, 3:33 PM
Veteran Member

It’s worth a try Mustang. Let us know if you try it. Like I said, the M12 stock is the only downside of the gun. If I had 2 ( like BBM) I’d widdel on one Too.
Old 08-05-2021, 4:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
It’s worth a try Mustang. Let us know if you try it. Like I said, the M12 stock is the only downside of the gun. If I had 2 ( like BBM) I’d widdel on one Too.
I've got several, including this one that I got for a song. As you can see, someone already mucked around with the stock (probably why it went so cheap). This one could be a candidate for "whittling" ala BBM's.

Old 08-26-2021, 2:59 PM

Quote:

First up is the pair:

Wow This is 10/10 is really good!!!