Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-24-2020, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz View Post
Are you on backorder for a press? Do you have projectiles? Do you have your bench built? Do you pick up and process brass already?

I just got a resupply of projectiles from acme for $0.08 each and spp from midway for $0.03 each a week or 2 ago, so the components are out there

You don’t have to accept paying $0.6 per 9mm cartridge for 115gr fmj plinking ammo if you don’t want to, even if you haven’t been reloading for a decade

I have brass (close to 1000 of 9mm and now some .45), but nothing processed and none of the equipment or other supplies. To be honest, I tend to research far too long before making any purchases. I have looked through the reloading forums here and elsewhere, and have ordered 2 recommended books on reloading.

The other issues are that I want a space away from my kids, as I have concerns about lead and heavy metal toxicity as well, and that I don’t really have the free time to focus on it properly, unless I take away range time or even more sleep. So I’m still trying to decide if reloading is worth the cost savings for something like 9mm. I’ve been purchasing at prices from 34-46 cpr lately, which are double prices in February, but still worthwhile for me. I’ve never had pricing lower than 26 cpr. Hand loads for accuracy or reloading less available ammo is what I’m really interested in for the future.

Unless I start shooting even more, of course. Which is likely. Then I will have to reload!
Old 10-24-2020, 9:33 AM

Winchester White Box. I've never had any issues with it in any of my handguns or even my Thompson.
For AR's I've never had a single issue with Wolf Gold.
Old 10-24-2020, 9:37 AM

Range ammo - anything I can get my hands on..

Defense - gold dot or hornady
Old 10-24-2020, 9:42 AM

As mentioned in post #37, for CCW or home defense, Hornady Critical Defense is my choice. It is part of a 35 million dollar contract with the FBI and Hornady. Google: issue ammo for the FBI, and there is a short video talking about it and showing results for their choices.
Old 10-24-2020, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsvet View Post
As mentioned in post #37, for CCW or home defense, Hornady Critical Defense is my choice. It is part of a 35 million dollar contract with the FBI and Hornady. Google: issue ammo for the FBI, and there is a short video talking about it and showing results for their choices.

I really like Hornady critical defense ammo for my SD/HD 9mm. There is a feed issue some JHP rounds have in certain Glock magazines, with the last round not feeding properly for certain magazine types. But because of the red flex tips, Hornady Critical Defense feeds just like Range ammo, reducing the possibility of a FTF.
Old 10-24-2020, 9:52 AM
Banned

Winchester White Box.
Because extra ammo in value packs.

For every 100 round value pack, you will receive 102-104 instead.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2020, 9:54 AM
Veteran Member

If and when available, I prefer
Sellier & Bellot ( Czech)
IMI (Israel)
MEN (Germany)

European ammo is made to NATO standards/spec (read hotter) while most of the domestic off the shelf hand gun ammo skimp in powder load and are a bit or a lot milder than they should be.

That is my experience, YMMV.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:

I really like Hornady critical defense ammo for my SD/HD 9mm. There is a feed issue some JHP rounds have in certain Glock magazines, with the last round not feeding properly for certain magazine types. But because of the red flex tips, Hornady Critical Defense feeds just like Range ammo, reducing the possibility of a FTF.
Good info. I managed to snag one box from Big5 recently. These are priced tiny bit better even in these days, you get box of 25 for the price of 20 of HST or Gold Dot.
I like to have all the best names in my small stash, still missing in there are unbobtainiums from Underwood / Lehigh.

Last edited by Vytis; 10-24-2020 at 11:25 AM..
Old 10-24-2020, 11:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Interesting you have had trouble with Aguila for the Glock 19. I have cycled thousands of Aguila 115gr and 124gr in my 19, 17 and 34 and overall near flawless and no more trouble than any other.

If snappiness is a concern, have you tried S&B? I love S&B and they seem to shoot 'softer', as well as Federal Champions brass. Especially if I shoot those right after Fiocchi (i love this one too) which come out a bit HOT. I like American Eagle, Geco, Blazer and PMC in both 9mm and 45acp range. WWB and UMC okay too but have only shot a few hundreds of those overall.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:58 AM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

Favorite Ammo?

At this juncture, whatever I can get. I've had good results with Federal Champion 115 gr FMJ and Mag Tech 115 gr FMJ. Both burn pretty clean, and accuracy is excellent.

Lately, I have been shooting Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr FTX. Burns very clean, has consistent accuracy, and no feed/extraction issues in my G17.

For my SA .22 revolver, my favorite is CCI Mini Mag 40 gr in LR, and CCI 36 gr HP's in WMR.
-P
Old 10-24-2020, 12:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2020 View Post
But As a new shooter, I’m curious about which brands (for target practice, not SD/HD/CCW) are considered the best in quality and price.

I’m especially interested in 9mm and .45 ACP ammo types and brands.
Probably Federal, CCI, Win.

Federal has it all. CCI has Blazer Brass, Mini-Mags. Win White box is good FMJ stuff from my experience since the 90's. REM/UMC, and others are probably in there somewhere. Fiocchi and Herters, Sellier and Bellot too. A lot of Herter's is Sellier and Bellot. I prefer their packaging because it is so compact for the range bags.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I have brass (close to 1000 of 9mm and now some .45), but nothing processed and none of the equipment or other supplies. To be honest, I tend to research far too long before making any purchases. I have looked through the reloading forums here and elsewhere, and have ordered 2 recommended books on reloading.

The other issues are that I want a space away from my kids, as I have concerns about lead and heavy metal toxicity as well, and that I don’t really have the free time to focus on it properly, unless I take away range time or even more sleep. So I’m still trying to decide if reloading is worth the cost savings for something like 9mm. I’ve been purchasing at prices from 34-46 cpr lately, which are double prices in February, but still worthwhile for me. I’ve never had pricing lower than 26 cpr. Hand loads for accuracy or reloading less available ammo is what I’m really interested in for the future.

Unless I start shooting even more, of course. Which is likely. Then I will have to reload!
Yes, only you know how much your time is worth.

But like you said, you’ll shoot more and have to reload, so get the components now when they come up
Old 10-24-2020, 12:54 PM

For the money, I generally prefer Federal products. But, there's plenty of acceptable products out there, especially for the range. Over the years I've had some QC issues with the WWB (cracked/deformed case, bullet seated too far back into the casing, etc.), so I have been more diligent inspecting their ammo before use. Seems to shoot dirtier too. Although QC issues will happen, I've had far less with Federal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WWB.jpg (78.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 10-24-2020, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by still919 View Post
For the money, I generally prefer Federal products. But, there's plenty of acceptable products out there, especially for the range. Over the years I've had some QC issues with the WWB (cracked/deformed case, bullet seated too far back into the casing, etc.), so I have been more diligent inspecting their ammo before use. Seems to shoot dirtier too. Although QC issues will happen, I've had far less with Federal.

Wow, I’ve never seen that with my WWB. I’m sure every brand has occasional problems. I’ve heard about WWB before, and the guys at my range have all suggested I avoid Aguila in the future, so I plan to finish the last 200 rounds I have and try to stay with the Winchester I still have left and then Federal.

I have never tried Herter’s or S & B; I will probably buy a few boxes if I see them available at a good price. They seem to be available quite often at Bass Pro, but just the cost of gas and time required to get to the one Bass Pro in my area means I have to get at least 2000 rounds before breaking even with ammo I can have shipped to my home. I’d rather pay a little more and not have to spend hours buying ammo.
Old 10-24-2020, 1:41 PM
Veteran Member

For center fire : Whatever on sale. I never see a bad center fire ammo, heck, the aluminum case ammo sale at Walmart I shoot couple K of them , they are OK.
Old 10-24-2020, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Wow, I’ve never seen that with my WWB.
To be fair, those are from my ballistic dossier, and were compiled over years if not decades. You're not going to have that happen box over box. I don't know if anything has changed, but the WWB value packs typically contain 2-3 rounds over the stated amount. So no harm, no foul from that perspective. I just wouldn't want to shoot those in the pic. My bigger gripe would be that it tends to be a dirtier ammo. But, I'm from an era (pre-COVID) where we had the luxury to be selective. Get what you can for now.
Old 10-24-2020, 2:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

other than inexpensive plinking and practice ammo? i don't care anymore as long as it is cheap and goes bang.
i don't worry about shooting groups with range ammo, and i focus more on speed, recoil and staying on target.

i am apparently a fanboy of federal ammunition, although quite by accident.
i have tried all sorts and brands of 9mm HD jhp ammo through my sig p226s and p229, and probably everything that is issued by LEAs, from silvertips to black talons (yes it was issued) back in the day, to gold dot, critical duty and ranger-t more recently.

my current choice for 9mm handgun self defense ammo is 147gr. federal hst.

similarly, i have shot all sorts of stuff out of my 18.5" tactical mossberg 500 (cylinder bore) shotgun.

my choice for 12ga. self defense ammo (or hunting if i had to hunt for food) is federal flitecontrol buck.
my choice for 12ga. long range steel (or hunting) is federal truball slugs.

i have shot several brands of match ammo out of my scar 20s, most of them using the same sierra match king bullet.
the rifle was designed for M118LR, which uses the same 175gr. smk bullet.

my choice for 7.62x51mm/.308 match ammo is federal gold medal match using 175gr. smk.

Last edited by theLBC; 10-24-2020 at 2:15 PM..
Old 10-24-2020, 2:54 PM

I've always used Winchester white box myself and never had issues but after this thread maybe I'll pay more attention to them.
Old 10-24-2020, 4:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Me as well. Love the Black Talons...bought plenty back in the day...

But my favorite lately are my hand loads. When my 1050 Dillon was busy I could crank out superb .45 ACP. I only reload 10MM these days and I can match Kevin’s (underwood ammo owner) 135 grain NOSLER at 1503 FPS in
10MM.

But commercial ammo preferred is

1. Underwood for serious carry and future food riots.

2. Federal

3. Winchester white box for general range plinking.

4. CCI minimag.22 copper coated, no lead visible.

5. Cor-bon is excellent. Double Tap.

Be well kids
Bob

The story behind these is pretty interesting. I think they there are more devastating bullets on the market today, but they wanted to go after Black Talons I guess. Great pic.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:01 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm deficient in so many aspects of life, but ammo ... I've got more than I could possibly shoot.

My top choices:

1. Federal Premium Law Enforcement Tactical +P HST Jacketed Hollow Point
  2. 2nd Place: Underwood Extreme Series
  3. Lever Action: Buffalo Bore Magnum Series

Last edited by HecklerNKoch; 10-24-2020 at 11:03 PM..
Old 10-24-2020, 11:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Yeah it depends on what the ammo is for. OP wanted range stuff AFAIK...

Federal HST 9mm 147 grain regular for me... and also +p for the hell of it.

Underwood 10mm 155 grain XTP...

But whatever the cheapest 115 or 124 grain 9mm brass case fmj for the range.
Old 10-25-2020, 5:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Speer lawman for range and speed gold dot for sd. That’s all I really shot before I started reloading.
Old 10-25-2020, 6:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I will definitely look into reloading, but I feel like components are hard to find right now, especially primers for handgun rounds. I think it’s easier for the time being to simply just purchase factory ammo.

I plan to take a course on reloading the in future, and I’ve written down some manuals recommended here on CG and by others I’ve met. Something to look forward to likening far too much, probably.

What brands have the best brass for reloading? That I can start doing right away.
For your .45 ACP, large pistol primers (LPP's) are not as hard to find as small pistol primers (SPP). That's because of 9mm and .38/357's extreme popularity. So, at this time, I would suggest starting with reloading .45 ACP, for that reason.

I use any brass that comes my way. Experience over the last 11 years has taught me that any brand of brass is good. Any brand. That includes nickel-plated; grab 'em and load 'em! Heck, I reload the steel Tulammo cases (Boxer-primed), both .357 Magnum and .45 ACP, and that has worked very well, too. Yes, you can safely reload steel, too!

What matters a lot more is the shape of the bullet for certain guns, especially certain older 1911's that were designed for ball ammo. My 1911's digest anything I run through them, including LSWC's, without any problem.

You are wise by taking a reloading class. It helped both the wife and me. And yes, once you start, you will probably like it quite a bit, as I do.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 10-25-2020, 8:59 AM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Black Hills. Very expensive but super clean and I've never had a squib.
Old 10-25-2020, 9:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Yeah, 10mm is still double what I paid when I was preparing for this... but some sources have .357 Sig only a bit more than the 9mm. Maybe .08 more. 9mm is crazy at .49 gimme a break. $500 cases geesh. Poor new shooters. I hope they are mostly leftists.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:37 PM

Looks like Federal is a favorite for many here. That’s great—I happen to have a lot of it, and will be looking to get more soon.
Old 10-25-2020, 1:58 PM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I like Remington and Blazers

9mm: Remington green and white box feels softest recoil to me. Then the Blazers.

45acp: same as above.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

For plinking and target work, Speer Lawman TMJ
Old 10-26-2020, 12:22 PM

Anyone is able to find high-end stuff like Underwood /Lehigh/ BH even at premium prices nowadays?
Old 10-26-2020, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

For practice, training, matches - FMJs from Fiocchi, S&P, CCI Blazer Brass in that order...

For defense - Speer Gold Dot

For anything special - Federal Syntech

_
Old 10-26-2020, 2:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vytis View Post
Anyone is able to find high-end stuff like Underwood /Lehigh/ BH even at premium prices nowadays?
I always ordered my Underwood ammo online. I've never seen Underwood in retail establishment.
Old 10-26-2020, 3:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I reload my own. But I like Winchester white box and Federal (whatever is normal, nothing fancy) if I have to guy for range shooting.

I have no opinion on "defensive ammo".

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 10-26-2020, 4:30 PM

I shot most brands out there and never had a problem with a single one.

Preferred brands: Federal, CCI, Fiocchi, PMC, Aguila, Sig, and Wolf (AK)

Least favorite brands: Rem, Win, Manteca, and PPU
CZ Czechmate
Thompson Center T/CR22
CZ Scorpion Evo 3 S1 Carbine
Colt LE6920CMPS-B, Franklin Armory CA7
Arsenal SAM7R-61
Masterpiece Arms 308BA
Mossberg 500 Tactical
Old 10-26-2020, 4:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I have a mix of ammo right now due to shortages, so I have been picking up whatever I can find. But As a new shooter, I’m curious about which brands (for target practice, not SD/HD/CCW) are considered the best in quality and price.

I’m especially interested in 9mm and .45 ACP ammo types and brands. So far, I know I dislike LAX Ammo, and I haven’t had the best experience with Aguila, either. I actually really like Winchester White Box 124 grain FMJ; I just seem to be very accurate and feel like my lighter pistols don’t “snap” as much. And unlike Aguila, I have never had a malfunction with WWB ammo. I feel like I also like various types of Federal 9mm.

I don’t really know much about .45ACP, but I have a 1911 on order, so I’ve been researching that ammo as well.

What do you guys like?

Whatever goes bang. The target isn't picky.
Old 10-26-2020, 4:53 PM
Veteran Member

I avoid the aluminum cased ammo, although I'm not sure why.
Old 10-26-2020, 5:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I avoid the aluminum cased ammo, although I'm not sure why.
No good reason to avoid them. They are even reloadable.
Old 10-26-2020, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM6000 View Post
I like Federal. Their pistol ammo is really good. I especially like Fed Tactical HST. Their rifle ammo is great. Their shotgun ammo is great as well. I especially love the Fed LE13300 00-Buckshot. Federal is excellent all around.
^^^^^ This
?The constitutional right to bear arms in public for self-defense is not a ?second-class right,? subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees.? ?.. "We know of no other constitutional rights that an individual may exercise only after demonstrating to government officers some special need."
- Justice Clarence Thomas
Old 10-26-2020, 6:07 PM

Starline brass is my go-to brass for both pistol and rifle in economy new brass. But, most of my target range brass is pick up and shot many, many times. I only throw out the defective ones. Don't count number of firings as I don't care. If primers are lose then toss them. My reloading target junk range brass is simple and unencumbered. Nothing fancy. I have 45 Automatic brass from the 80's and will shot them until I die. That's my attitude.
Old 10-26-2020, 6:08 PM

The only picky gun I've had was a M&P .40 with a 9mm conversion barrel. It did not like long ammo, or FP. That barrel was unreliable as-is. I ended up just shooting .40.

I would be concerned about the gun if I couldn't shoot anything on the shelf out of it. Worst case, if I need to find ammo and shoot it in my gun, I want it to always work. Even tulammo steel case works just fine, it just dings up your gun. My goto was whatever was in stock and cheap!

Now I prefer reloads.
Old 10-26-2020, 8:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If I ran low on ammo and had to buy TULA or BROWN BEAR, WOLF, whatever because it was real cheap, let's say $9 a box instead of $30... I'll be shooting steel case and not look back. I have a ton of SKS ammo that's steel case Wolf and have no complaints. I don't worry about my Romanian SKS at all... and I shoot it out of my CZ too.