Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 08-12-2019, 2:00 AM

Default Best factory load out of Savage 1:8 twist 6.5 CM?

I wasn't sure if I should put this under the rifles/manual sub-forum, or the ammo forum...? Starting here....

What factory load has proven to be the most accurate for you out of your Savage 1:8 twist 6.5 CM? I am using a model 11 Long Range Hunter (24" bbl w/adjustable muzzle brake, adjustable cheek riser) that I picked up recently in a trade.

I've tried a half-dozen loads and the Hornady 147gr ELD Match has proven most accurate by quite a bit (consistently 1" or a hair less @100 yds). The other Hornady ELD Match loads (140, 120) also have proven quite good.

Norma 130gr HPST Match came in 3rd and Federal 140gr GMM SMK came in 4th for me. All 1-1/2" 5xrd groups or less.

I also tried Fed 135gr Berger Hybrid, Hornady 120gr GMX Outfitter, Hornady 140gr American Gunner, and Hornady 129gr SST Super Performance, but all grouped significantly less well than the first four (above), at 2" or larger groups.

Any recommended non-lead loadings? Hornady GMX, Barnes Tsx?

On a side note, with the pencil-thin barrel, how many rounds can one expect before seeing heat-related group spreading / group inconsistencies? Any opinions shared would be appreciated.

P.S. For comparison, I consider myself a "fair" bolt action rifle shot (having spent most of my long-gun experience with AR's and other mil-surp stuff over the past 35 years). I have a Rem 700 5R Milspec that I have had for about a year (my first decently accurate rifle and scope setup that wasn't meant just for general, close-in target shooting or hunting) and shoot 1" or less 5xrd groups all day long with factory Fed GMM ammo, with a few "bests" of around .610-.700", after about 500 rds total through it. What I'm trying to get at is I am not seeing any significant benefit of the 6.5 yet, certainly not at 100 yds. Further out, we'll have to see. Another issue is the pencil barrel. It heats up fast, and I'm sure it has something to do with the spreads I'm seeing.....maybe I expected too much.... :-/
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. ..."
--Theodore Roosevelt, "The Strenuous Life," April 10, 1899

Last edited by RCxRC; 08-12-2019 at 7:45 AM..
Old 08-12-2019, 4:28 AM

Unfortunately only way to know is try them out. Each gun barrel is different.
Old 08-12-2019, 8:58 AM
Calguns Addict

I would expect something called "Long Range Hunter" to have a thin barrel. The implication is you're going to hunt with it, maybe in the mountains. People don't want to hump a heavy barrel.

From what I've read and seen (on video), 6.5 Creedmoors usually shoot short bullets or long bullets well, but not both.
Old 08-12-2019, 9:35 AM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
From what I've read and seen (on video), 6.5 Creedmoors usually shoot short bullets or long bullets well, but not both
That would depend on rifling twist.

My advice to the OP would be to contact each bullet maker and ask them which rate of twist to use with a particular grain-weight (length) projectile.

Also, become better acquainted with the differences between guided metal and pure copper projectiles. They donít play well with each other in regards to bore fouling.

For example, the GMX is a solid non-lead composed of guilded metal alloy whereas a Barnes TSX is a pure copper spitzer. A bore must be thoroughly cleaned of all copper fouling before you shoot the other.

And this is regardless of shooting the appropriate-length bullet for the twist rate...
"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 08-12-2019, 9:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCxRC View Post
What factory load has proven to be the most accurate for you out of your Savage 1:8 twist 6.5 CM?
Every gun is it's own beast.
There is no "best" load for all of them.

Quote:
I've tried a half-dozen loads and the Hornady 147gr ELD Match has proven most accurate by quite a bit
Now you know what yours likes the best.

Quote:
On a side note, with the pencil-thin barrel, how many rounds can one expect before seeing heat-related group spreading / group inconsistencies?
Typically 3 rounds.
After that, let it cool down an hour or more in the shade before you can expect another tight group.

Quote:
I have a Rem 700 5R Milspec that I have had for about a year (my first decently accurate rifle and scope setup that wasn't meant just for general, close-in target shooting or hunting) and shoot 1" or less 5xrd groups all day long with factory Fed GMM ammo, with a few "bests" of around .610-.700", after about 500 rds total through it.
What I'm trying to get at is I am not seeing any significant benefit of the 6.5 yet, certainly not at 100 yds. Further out, we'll have to see.
The only advantage of a 6.5 vs a 308 in shorter ranges (under 600yds) will be slightly reduced recoil due to lighter bullet weight.
The 6.5 really starts to shine past 800yds where 308 is getting a boat anchor trajectory.
Inside of 400yds, the 308 has more energy on target due to heavier bullets being used.

Quote:
Another issue is the pencil barrel. It heats up fast, and I'm sure it has something to do with the spreads I'm seeing.....
maybe I expected too much.... :-/
If you are expecting a skinny barrel to function similar to a heavy target barrel, you are certainly expecting too much.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 08-12-2019 at 9:53 AM..
Old 08-12-2019, 10:37 AM

Randall,

Yes, I was admittedly unrealistic in my expectations. Having mostly shot mil-spec rifles (1903A3, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1A Nat'l Match, AR's, Mauser's), I did not expect how much the barrel would heat up and stayed hot. As I said, other than an old 30-30 I had no other hunting rifles until this past year, having in the past borrowed whatever I needed (when hunting with relatives in NV and OR). Getting it out of the sun, even while cooling, is an excellent suggestion. An hour? Duly noted. Did I expect it to compare favorably with the heavier weight barrel on the Rem 700 5R? No, of course not. But, still, I have never had a barrel remotely this thin on a center-fire rifle, so I clearly have a lot to learn and get used to when using it.

Thank you also for the other responses. P.S. Yes, I have read in several places that the GMX and TSX do not play well together, and to clean well if switching between the two. Just have to play with them & try each out to see which works best, it seems.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. ..."

Last edited by RCxRC; 08-12-2019 at 11:07 AM..
Old 08-12-2019, 12:19 PM
Calguns Addict

They make a gadget with an electric fan that you stick in the chamber that might cool it faster, especially if you rest it vertically while cooling.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:44 PM

I’ve had the ttsx shoot very good out of all my bolt actions.
I was going to suggest you check all your screws on action, base and scope rings if you’re getting inconsistencies
Old 08-12-2019, 1:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
other than an old 30-30 I had no other hunting rifles until this past year, having in the past borrowed whatever I needed (when hunting with relatives in NV and OR).
I have never had a barrel remotely this thin on a center-fire rifle
Now you have a bolt action hunting rifle.
Use it as such.

It's no target rifle.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 08-12-2019, 2:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
They make a gadget with an electric fan that you stick in the chamber that might cool it faster, especially if you rest it vertically while cooling.
https://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/magn...hoCInIQAvD_BwE
Old 08-12-2019, 2:47 PM

(Double posted)

Last edited by RCxRC; 08-12-2019 at 2:55 PM..
Old 08-12-2019, 2:53 PM

Seems like I'll be putting away the target ammo & stop trying to see "what it'll do", and instead focus on figuring out exactly which hunting load works best (cold, clean bore + two, with an hour to cool in between), and call it done.

Just in time for open season!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk