Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-25-2019, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB35 View Post
The LA/Oakland brief is hilarious.

So I guess the LEO have to give up their LCMs because they don't use them for self defense and they are only for military use on the battlefield.

I have to wonder if these people actually read what they write?
My favorite part was the instance in which a cop with a six-shot revolver was outgunned by a suspect with an "LCM". In 1994.

Bit of a reach.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post

I thought that attempting to present new evidence on appeal was a no-no absent extraordinary circumstances. If so, isn't the request for judicial notice the state filed unfair to the plaintiffs?

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplaw View Post
I thought that attempting to present new evidence on appeal was a no-no absent extraordinary circumstances. If so, isn't the request for judicial notice the state filed unfair to the plaintiffs?
Stuff that is judicially noticeable is not considered evidence because it is stuff that is easily verifiable and can't be disputed.

― Plato
Old 07-29-2019, 9:57 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Off-topic posts deleted - this thread is for the litigation only.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-16-2019, 2:17 PM

Wasn't CRPA's brief due yesterday?
Old 08-16-2019, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
Stuff that is judicially noticeable is not considered evidence because it is stuff that is easily verifiable and can't be disputed.
If the judge bases their ruling on something "noticeable" that is later proven false is that an easy appeal?
Old 08-19-2019, 10:07 AM

What time are they hearing this?

*EDIT*

Just realized it's at 1030am. Does anyone know when we can expect a decision based on history?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

Million Mag March Commemorative Decal HERE

Last edited by USMCmatt; 08-19-2019 at 10:22 AM..
Old 08-19-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCmatt View Post
What time are they hearing this?

*EDIT*

Just realized it's at 1030am. Does anyone know when we can expect a decision based on history?
Old 08-19-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post
Wait... so it the mag injunction ruling today from the 9th or the ammo injunction req before Benitez?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

Old 08-19-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Wait... so it the mag injunction ruling today from the 9th or the ammo injunction req before Benitez?
Ammo.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
The latter
Old 08-19-2019, 12:02 PM

Copy, thanks!

Old 08-22-2019, 2:36 PM

Wasn't CRPA's brief due on the 15th?

Quote:
Thu., August 15, 2019 Appellees' answering brief and excerpts of record shall be served and filed pursuant to FRAP 31 and 9th Cir. R. 31-2.1
I don't see anything new on the page for this case. Or did they get an extension?
Old 08-23-2019, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirearmFino View Post
Wasn't CRPA's brief due on the 15th?

I don't see anything new on the page for this case. Or did they get an extension?
Streamlined request [32] by Appellees California Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc., Virginia Duncan, Richard Lewis, Patrick Lovette, David Marguglio and Christopher Waddell to extend time to file the brief is approved. Amended briefing schedule: Appellees California Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc., Virginia Duncan, Richard Lewis, Patrick Lovette, David Marguglio and Christopher Waddell answering brief due 09/16/2019. The optional reply brief is due 21 days from the date of service of the answering brief. [11378081] (DLM)

― Plato
Old 08-23-2019, 2:14 PM

Thanks Wolf!
Old 09-17-2019, 2:20 PM

Answering Brief for Appellees

http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/...ring-Brief.pdf

Also, It looks like Paul Clement is now the counsel of record.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:46 PM

I only got part way through last night, but it is a clear, concise read. Good job, authors!
Old 09-18-2019, 1:06 PM

The plaintiffs' brief is impressive.

The defense's brief is somewhat chilling, with much of the argument revolving around the principles of "things are true because we say they are" and "the police power means we get to do pretty much what we want."

It's also interesting that the plaintiffs' brief relies on Heller, while the defendant's brief relies largely on a) circuit court decisions and b) exploiting the weaknesses of Heller. But it might be just enough to give activist judges enough cover to void the summary judgement.

It's hard to say how this will go. We'll really be sweating the next couple of weeks.
Old 09-19-2019, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncivil Engineer View Post
If the judge bases their ruling on something "noticeable" that is later proven false is that an easy appeal?

The first part of your scenario be almost impossible. Judicial Notice is to put on record things we all know are true like 2+2=4 or that a street runs in a certain direction or the sun set at certain time. If here is any question that a fact may not be true, then the request would be denied, at least to that fact.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:45 AM
Calguns Addict

I can't imagine how or why California would want to fight this at this point.

The 9th is already 16-13, so for the state, they have no assurance of winning, and it could easily be 15-14 or 14-15 in our favor by the time this goes to en banc, and SCOTUS is now 4.75 to 4.25, and could soon enough be 5.75 to 3.25.

Math denialism: We can have free, universal healthcare, $15/hr minimum wage, and open borders.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWFacts View Post
I can't imagine how or why California would want to fight this at this point.

The 9th is already 16-13, so for the state, they have no assurance of winning, and it could easily be 15-14 or 14-15 in our favor by the time this goes to en banc, and SCOTUS is now 4.75 to 4.25, and could soon enough be 5.75 to 3.25.
Most on the left don't understand firearms at all. It a religious issue with them. They can't apply logic not can they stop. So just as we saw in Duncan it's only time until they let out enough rope to hang themselves.

I am if they understood statistics they would push for tax subsides on "assault weapons" and "LCMs" paid for with sin taxes on handguns.
Old 09-19-2019, 3:12 PM

Does anyone know who the judges are on this case?
Old 09-23-2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
Does anyone know who the judges are on this case?
We won't know until the week before oral arguments.

From the 9th Circuit's rules:

Quote:
Disclosure of Judges on Panels. The names of the judges on each panel are released to the general public on the Monday of the week preceding argument. At that time, the calendar of cases scheduled for hearing is posted in the San Francisco, Pasadena, Seattle, and Portland offices of the Clerk of Court and is forwarded for posting to the clerks of the district courts within the circuit. This provision permits the parties to prepare for oral argument before particular judges. Once the calendar is made public, motions for continuances will rarely be granted.
Old 09-23-2019, 4:40 PM

Sorry, I know this is here somewhere I bet, but when is the next date of action for the case as it makes it way through?

Old 09-23-2019, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I know this is here somewhere I bet, but when is the next date of action for the case as it makes it way through?
The state now gets a chance to reply to the CRPA's brief. I believe the reply is due 21 days after the CRPA's brief was submitted, which would be on 10/7.
Old 09-23-2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
The state now gets a chance to reply to the CRPA's brief. I believe the reply is due 21 days after the CRPA's brief was submitted, which would be on 10/7.
That's not too terrible. Then it goes to 9th? Then in several months, we get an answer?

Old 09-24-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
That's not too terrible. Then it goes to 9th? Then in several months, we get an answer?
Several months? Not too likely. There is no time line for the court to order oral argument OR to issue its decision. It cold be months, it could be years. With the stay in effect, no one can buy new mags, but no one is required to dispose of the ones they already own either, just as it was before the new law was passed. So there really is no hurry--for the Court anyway. I think that a lot of these cases will be held until the Supreme Court issues its decision in the NYRPA v, NYC case (probably) next June, since a lot of judges think that the Supreme Court will set a standard of review for 2A cases that will apply to all pending cases.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:56 AM

Awesome, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
Several months? Not too likely. There is no time line for the court to order oral argument OR to issue its decision. It cold be months, it could be years. With the stay in effect, no one can buy new mags, but no one is required to dispose of the ones they already own either, just as it was before the new law was passed. So there really is no hurry--for the Court anyway. I think that a lot of these cases will be held until the Supreme Court issues its decision in the NYRPA v, NYC case (probably) next June, since a lot of judges think that the Supreme Court will set a standard of review for 2A cases that will apply to all pending cases.

Old 10-07-2019, 7:30 PM

Appellant’s Reply Brief
Old 10-07-2019, 8:38 PM

Utter garbage.

"Second, Plaintiffs’ takings claim also fails. Despite Plaintiffs’ refrain that the new possession law “dispossesses” owners of grandfathered LCMs, the fact remains that those individuals may retain possession of their magazines if they permanently modify them to hold no more than ten rounds of ammunition. In any event, the State may, under its police powers, prohibit possession of personal property that threatens public safety without paying just compensation under the Takings Clause, let alone warranting a permanent injunction of an important public-safety measure."
Old 10-07-2019, 8:39 PM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I particularly like the part where they quoted Silveira v. Lockyer.
Old 10-08-2019, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champu View Post
I particularly like the part where they quoted Silveira v. Lockyer.
I can only read so much of that bull**** without screaming at my computer screen.
Old 10-08-2019, 8:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreppin916 View Post
I can only read so much of that bull**** without screaming at my computer screen.
I often wonder if opposing counsel actually BELIEVES the BS they write? Or if they sit around in their office thinking, “we really don’t have a legal leg to
Stand on, so let’s just make stuff up and argue and write to fill the pages.”

Crazy
Old 10-08-2019, 10:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Whether or not they believe it is largely irrelevant.

They are trying to convince a judge or at least give a judge enough of an excuse to decide in their favor.

Don't be surprised if they are effective. For instance, it would not surprise me if a judge with an agenda did buy the idea that if you require the magazine to be blocked that this does not constitute a taking. After all, you still possess the magazine after it has been permanently altered.

The fact that the magazine is permanently devalued and may now be unusable for the purpose for which you purchased it (being able to fire more than 10 rounds without reloading) may not be seen as relevant.

Actually, they can make the argument that since you cannot sell the magazine to someone else under the statute, the magazine has no monetary value. However stupid that may be, a motivated judge may buy into that argument.

The key is not whether anyone believes, the key is whether they can get a judge to rule their way.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
Whether or not they believe it is largely irrelevant.

Actually, they can make the argument that since you cannot sell the magazine to someone else under the statute, the magazine has no monetary value. However stupid that may be, a motivated judge may buy into that argument.

The key is not whether anyone believes, the key is whether they can get a judge to rule their way.
Not so sure about that, since it is the governmental action that resulted in a complete devaluation of the item. The question is the pre-law value of the item, and the damages are the difference between what it was worth before and what it is worth after the law goes into effect.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
Not so sure about that, since it is the governmental action that resulted in a complete devaluation of the item. The question is the pre-law value of the item, and the damages are the difference between what it was worth before and what it is worth after the law goes into effect.
I'm not arguing that it makes sense, just that you may be able to get the judge to buy the argument.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
I'm not arguing that it makes sense, just that you may be able to get the judge to buy the argument.
That is what the appeal process is supposed to remedy. Sometimes it works as designed; other times it doesn't.