Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-16-2019, 2:33 PM

Default Shooting requirements

Did the CA CCW shooting requirements change for 2019?

1. 3 yards
2. 5 yards
3. 7 yards
4. 10 yards (I'm hearing yes and no on this?)

How many rounds in what ring?
One mag (10) per distance interval?

Buddy's daughter is getting into it.
Old 08-16-2019, 2:53 PM

I am sure it will vary from IA to IA and instructors. I just had to renew mine and had to fire a total of 60 rounds. They ranged from 3 yards to 7 yards. There was clearing a malfunction during the qualifier and a timed portion where you had to put 2 rounds center mass and one in the head in 3 seconds. You also had to fire from position 2 or 3 for a section as well. To pass you had to put 50 of your 60 rounds in the 8 or higher rings . ( I put 2 in the 8, 1 in the 9 and the rest blew out the X in center mass and head. ) 2 years ago when I renewed it was 24 rounds and if you hit paper you were good to go... so. I am interested in the answers to this question as well.
Old 08-16-2019, 3:31 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

There is no statewide standard. It is totally up to the IA and some still allow variance from instructor to instructor.

Old 08-16-2019, 5:18 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

This is honestly one of those things I have very little quarrel with. Nobody I know that has a CCW ever failed a qualification, and those that had any trouble in my classes were tended to by some really helpful deputies to get them on the target. I've always kind of figured this is what it's really about anyway, at least with Berdoo county.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 08-16-2019, 7:31 PM

I have seen people in every renewal class that should NOT be allowed to carry a firearm. The requirement for CCW should be standard AND set at a very high level . If you can not hit what you need to hit on a static line from 3 to 7 yards then you have no business carrying a gun. My .02
Old 08-16-2019, 7:38 PM

Thanks.

Seems odd there is no state standard, but then it is Kalifornia so...
Old 08-16-2019, 7:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No standardized issue either...If you can stay generally COM from 3 to 10 yrds you should be good for most IAs I would imagine.
Old 08-16-2019, 8:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Kern County Sheriff CCW minimum qualification course:

4 rounds – two hand shooting @ 5 yards
2 rounds – one hand shooting with the left hand @ 5 yards
2 rounds – one hand shooting with the right hand @ 5 yards
4 rounds – two hand shooting at 7 yards
Total rounds fired for each gun you want to qualify with is 12 rounds.

(Instructors may have shooters fire all rounds at 7 yards)

Mono County Sheriff CCW minimum qualification course:

Distance (yards) Rounds (Total 30rounds)

1.5 yds. 5 rounds
3 yds. 5 rounds
5 yds. 10 rounds
7 yds. 5 rounds
10 yds. 5 rounds
Passing score is 70%
Target Dimensions: 12 inches x 16 inches
Inyo County Sheriff Permits
Inyo County Sheriff’s Office CCW minimum qualification course:

Must qualify with each firearm the applicant is requesting carry on the permit.
FBI-Q Target or equivalent.
The recommended minimum qualification course will be 27 rounds
3 Yards: 3 rounds to target.\
5 Yards: 3 rounds from “gun hand” & 3 rounds from “support hand” to target.
7 Yards: Two “failure drills” to target.
10 Yards: 8 rounds to target.
15 Yards: 1 round to target in 12 seconds, repeat for a total of 4 times.
Shooters will be permitted to reload as needed.
The passing score is 75% which equals missing 7 rounds outside the bottle outline on a standard FBI-Q target or its equivalent.

Tulare County Sheriff CCW minimum qualification course:

In order to certify a certain handgun, the student must fire the maximum amount of rounds the weapon holds. This does not including a round in the firing chamber.
Half of the total bullets (or 50%) from one full magazine or one full cylinder must hit the target from at least the seven (7) yard mark.
There will be no time requirement to discharge rounds or move through the exercise.
There will be no drawing or holstering requirement as there is no mandate for CCW holders to holster firearms.
Students must qualify with each firearm they wish to conceal and carry.
Station 1) Full magazine or cylinder from 7 yards at 50% success

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 08-16-2019, 10:38 PM

Default Shooting requirements

Ventura County qualification standard:

AGENCY QUALIFICATION STANDARDS
a. Pursuant to Cal. Penal Code § 26165(3)(b), a licensing authority shall establish, and make available to the public, the standards it uses when issuing licenses with regards to the required live-fire shooting exercises.

i. Live-fire Qualification
A. Include draw and fire from method of carry. Must pass complete course with each weapon approved for carry.

B. Minimum two draws each station, two rounds each to the body, from 3, 7, 10, and 15 yards on a “B27” or “IPSIC” type target.

Times: 5 seconds, 5 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds.

C. Passing score is all rounds on target, no complete misses.

Last edited by awiner; 08-17-2019 at 9:53 PM..
Old 08-17-2019, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awiner View Post
Ventura County qualification standard:

AGENCY QUALIFICATION STANDARDS
a. Pursuant to Cal. Penal Code § 26165(3)(b), a licensing authority shall establish, and make
available to the public, the standards it uses when issuing licenses with regards to the required live-fire shooting exercises.

i. Live-fire Qualification
A. Include draw and fire from method of carry. Must pass complete course with each weapon approved for carry.

B. Minimum two draws each station, two rounds each to the body, from 3, 7, 10, and 15 yards on a “B27” or “IPSIC” type target.

Times: 5 seconds, 5 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds.

C. Passing score is all rounds on target, no complete misses.

My range qual day was terrifying. 3 of 8 people failed this very easy COF. Woman next to me put two rounds into my target - missing her full size B27 target by at least 4 feet - at a range of 15 yards. Another guy didn’t bring a belt or holster - he was planning to just stuff the gun into his waistband. The instructor made him use a holster, so every time he drew the holster and gun came out together. Then he’d sweep his off hand getting the gun out. Then he’d sweep his feet, or the rest of us, picking the holster up off the ground. Stupid is bad enough, but armed and stupid is worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2019, 5:49 AM

Thanks all. Sounds like he just needs to call the company doing the class what they want.
Old 08-17-2019, 3:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
Did the CA CCW shooting requirements change for 2019?

1. 3 yards

2. 5 yards

3. 7 yards

4. 10 yards (I'm hearing yes and no on this?)

How many rounds in what ring?

One mag (10) per distance interval?

Buddy's daughter is getting into it.

There is no statewide course of fire. See: 26165(a)(3) and (4).
Old 08-17-2019, 5:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbones13 View Post
I am sure it will vary from IA to IA and instructors. I just had to renew mine and had to fire a total of 60 rounds. They ranged from 3 yards to 7 yards. There was clearing a malfunction during the qualifier and a timed portion where you had to put 2 rounds center mass and one in the head in 3 seconds. You also had to fire from position 2 or 3 for a section as well. To pass you had to put 50 of your 60 rounds in the 8 or higher rings . ( I put 2 in the 8, 1 in the 9 and the rest blew out the X in center mass and head. ) 2 years ago when I renewed it was 24 rounds and if you hit paper you were good to go... so. I am interested in the answers to this question as well.

That is significantly harder than OC requirements.

Two years ago (I assume it’s still the same) when I got my CCW, you had to shoot from 3-5-7 yards for a total of 72 shots. You just had to get 50 anywhere in the head/torso, lol. There were no calls for “8, 9, or 10” ring shots....no 2-in-the-body-1-in-the-head sequence......no malfunction checks.....no holster work.

You do have to eject a mag and do a reload a couple of times.....but not a timed event, lol.

Yep, a couple (out of ~16) people could have failed....I think the instructor helped them pass, with some extra shots. One lady had a small/medium revolver and could barely keep her shots on paper....Scary.

Qualifying extra guns only required 20 shots.

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

—“Who, that fuggin’ nobody?

—“That fuggin’ nobody........was John Wick!

Last edited by Erion929; 08-17-2019 at 5:56 PM..
Old 08-17-2019, 9:24 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

I just checked the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office CCW web page, and no new weapon qualification specifications were given.

In the past it for renewal re-qualifications it was 25 rounds per weapon at a minimum range for the B-27 target determined by barrel length, with no timing between shots. The range had a "one shot per second max" sign above the door.

Edited to add, some of us have CCW Weapons with a magazine or cylinder capacity, of less than 10 rounds... I am due for a renewal of my license next year.

https://humboldtgov.org/342/Concealed-Weapons-Permit

Last edited by Humboldt Leatherneck; 08-17-2019 at 9:59 PM..
Old 08-18-2019, 2:01 PM

Each IA was required to decide and publish their qualification requirements as of the beginning of the 2019. You would want to check the web site for your IA to see what is being required.
Old 08-18-2019, 3:35 PM

Shasta County's requirements are much easier than most of what I'm reading about in other counties.

16 out of 20 rounds must be in at least the 9 ring at 7 yards. Human silhouette target, I do not recall the official term for said target.

That goes for all of the pistols listed on your license.

Pretty easy unless you're a blind cyclops.
Old 08-18-2019, 4:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Butte County is 8 out of 10 rounds in the 9 ring of a B-27 target at 7 yards.
Old 08-19-2019, 7:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
...a timed portion where you had to put 2 rounds center mass and one in the head in 3 seconds. ...
Wow, that is more stringent than POST qualifiers for LEOs in regards to time pressure.
Old 08-19-2019, 7:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
... The requirement for CCW should be standard AND set at a very high level . If you can not hit what you need to hit on a static line from 3 to 7 yards then you have no business carrying a gun. My .02
The problem with setting it at a "very high level" is that it can be used maliciously by the State to eliminate most people from ever getting a CCW. Just like the roster is being used to prohibit new semi-automatic handguns being sold in the State.
Old 08-19-2019, 9:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Not all people can shoot accurately, but they should be free to exercise their right to defend themselves with a firearm. If they shoot an innocent or damage property they must be prepared to reap the whirlwind. It's called personal responsibility.

Adding requirements to qualify a citizen to exercise a constitutional right is a repugnant control by the state.

Constitutional carry states don't seem to have any problems with dumping the arcane requirements.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-20-2019, 7:18 AM

Quote:
I have seen people in every renewal class that should NOT be allowed to carry a firearm. The requirement for CCW should be standard AND set at a very high level . If you can not hit what you need to hit on a static line from 3 to 7 yards then you have no business carrying a gun. My .02
No one should have to pass anything to exercise a right. There are now 12 states that do not require a permit to carry. There's no blood in the streets or gunfights at the local saloon.

It is responsible to be proficient, but it is a right, the last time I checked at least.
Old 08-20-2019, 9:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
Just like the roster is being used to prohibit new semi-automatic handguns being sold in the State.
The roster isn't doing that, it's the Microstamping law that Arnie signed that is. Nothing new can go on-roster unless it includes Microstamping. Prior to that new guns could be added by paying the state sponsored extortion fee.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 08-20-2019, 4:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Per the Riverside County Sheriff's Department, I'm guessing at Ben Clark.
"You will be required to fire your weapon on the Sheriff’s designated range, and qualify with a passing score of 70% or better.
15-yard line: Starting from the "low ready" position, empty a full magazine (or cylinder) at two targets. Reload and move forward (on command) to the 10 yard line.
10-yard line: Starting from the "low ready" position, empty a full magazine (or cylinder) at two targets. Reload and move forward (on command) to the 7 yard line.
7-yard line: Starting from the "low ready" position, empty a full magazine (or cylinder) at two targets, firing two shots to the body and one to the head of each target until all ammunition is expended."

I didn't go through Ben Clark but rather at Second Amendment in Palm Desert. COF if I remember correctly the details, distances were 7, 10, 15 feet not yards. Each distance required 8-10 shots starting from low ready
-2 shots with both hands
-2 shots repeat
-2 shots right hand only
-2 shots left hand only
-Adjust to next distance
Witnessed some folks struggling to get decent group on target (standard B27). Figure 70-80% at center mass and proper gun handling is sufficient.

shuttlecock
Old 08-27-2019, 7:54 PM

San Bernardino

15 feet

10 shots

Must hit ABOVE x (upper torso, not lower) within 7 ring

2 misses allowed
Old 08-27-2019, 9:35 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Sacramento County here https://www.sacsheriff.com/Pages/Org...t%20CCW%20.pdf

6 stages, various distances, 100rds, all timed and scored.

Old 08-28-2019, 9:22 AM

Just completed in Fresno (The Range)

3 yds 15
5 yds 15
7 yds 20

75% in the torso. Pretty hard to fail, but saw one person in my class do just that.
Old 09-14-2019, 4:51 PM

Orange County:

A passing score of 70% on a live fire course using the same weapon(s) that
will be listed on the license. The live fire course will be at minimum, 72 total
rounds fired at standard silhouette B-27 scoring targets placed 3, 5 and 7
yards from the shooter; 24 rounds per distance. The live fire course should
be conducted after the classroom portion of the certification course.
Old 09-14-2019, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Not all people can shoot accurately, but they should be free to exercise their right to defend themselves with a firearm. If they shoot an innocent or damage property they must be prepared to reap the whirlwind. It's called personal responsibility.

Adding requirements to qualify a citizen to exercise a constitutional right is a repugnant control by the state.

Constitutional carry states don't seem to have any problems with dumping the arcane requirements.
I agree.
Old 09-15-2019, 9:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
The roster isn't doing that, it's the Microstamping law that Arnie signed that is. Nothing new can go on-roster unless it includes Microstamping. Prior to that new guns could be added by paying the state sponsored extortion fee.
Are you really that pedantic? The microstamping law is a pre-requisite to go on the roster, hence the roster is doing it as new guns can not go on the roster. There are also many other requirements to go on the roster, should I have listed all of those as well to satisfy you?

Bottom line, the purpose of the roster is no longer safety but a way to prevent non-exempt people in CA from purchasing newer models of handguns.
Old 09-15-2019, 1:27 PM

^ truth
Old 09-18-2019, 7:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
should I have listed all of those as well to satisfy you?
Please do!
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member