Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-16-2013, 1:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
He will file. Peña oral arguments are Monday which gives some insight into the timing here.

-Gene
Look forward to listening to audio from today (if/when available).

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 12-16-2013, 1:54 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Look forward to listening to audio from today (if/when available).
I just checked PACER, nothing yet. It usually takes a few days for something to get entered in the docket about a hearing being conducted; a decision is likely to take longer.

Since this is a trial court hearing, I am not expecting audio to be posted.

Reloading Clubs: SF, East Bay

Case Status: Peña v. Cid (Handgun Roster). SF v. 44Mag (Mag Parts Kits). Bauer v. Harris (DROS Fees). Davis v. LA (CCW policy). Jackson v. SF (Ammo/Storage). Teixeira (FFL Zoning). First Unitarian v. NSA (Privacy). Silvester (Waiting Period). Schoepf (DROS Delay). Haynie (AW ban). SFVPOA v. SF (10+ mag possession ban). Bear in Public: Drake (3CA); Moore (7CA); Richards, Peruta, McKay (9CA).
Old 12-16-2013, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizux View Post
I just checked PACER, nothing yet. It usually takes a few days for something to get entered in the docket about a hearing being conducted; a decision is likely to take longer.

Since this is a trial court hearing, I am not expecting audio to be posted.
if no audio anyone have a play by play?
Old 12-16-2013, 9:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Orals were today. There will not be a transcript or audio from them. My summary should be on the blog shortly and Brandon or I will cross post it once it's up.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 12-16-2013, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Orals were today. There will not be a transcript or audio from them. My summary should be on the blog shortly and Brandon or I will cross post it once it's up.

-Gene

which blog would that be?

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2013, 8:01 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk556 View Post
which blog would that be?
Just a guess, but most likely the CGF blog found here:

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/blog/

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 12-17-2013, 8:16 AM

Help an old guy out. I read the update on the Blog and the judge was pretty clear about what he said. Now does it become law or what is the procedure from this point on? Wife and I have California CCW and does that mean in the future we are a cash and carry person?
I know these are dumb question to those of you that deal in this I raise sheep and ranch not a law guy.

Thanks
Bill
Old 12-17-2013, 8:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
Help an old guy out. I read the update on the Blog and the judge was pretty clear about what he said. Now does it become law or what is the procedure from this point on? Wife and I have California CCW and does that mean in the future we are a cash and carry person?
I know these are dumb question to those of you that deal in this I raise sheep and ranch not a law guy.

Thanks
Bill
SILVESTER V. HARRIS (10-day wait) will proceed to trial... The state was not allowed a shortcut to ending the lawsuit.
Old 12-17-2013, 9:13 AM

Quote:

Thanks
Bill
You're not alone and I've built Rocket Fuel Manufacturing Structures. it was rocket science

but I'm still just a construction laborer who can count
Old 12-17-2013, 9:57 AM

Blog has been updated http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/blog/
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
Old 12-17-2013, 10:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Blog update on the case here: http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/201...handgun-roster

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Based on the judge's obsession with standing and with limiting the 2nd Amendment by presupposing that intermediate scrutiny was the standard of review for an enumerated right it seems pretty obvious that she had made up her mind to rule against us and the Bill of Rights before she ever got to the court room. I'm guessing that she'll spend the next 90 to 180 days trying to justify that ruling and stalling us for as long as possible. I'd be shocked if she hadn't been drafting the ruling in her head before the first argument was made in her court room.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 12-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Banned

Default DOJ

Very interesting read from Gene's write up. Pretty scary (though not surprising) to hear that CalDOJ feels that limiting handguns to .22lr models only or banning them outright and telling us to use Tasers for self defense is consistent with Heller and McDonald and the constitution.

This illustrates well their intended goal of complete disarmement of the population.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:50 AM

Sounds like the judge is inclined to punt, and use standing as the way to do so.

Arg. I thought the briefs were well done, and especially with the new microstamping requirement, the roster is an outright ban. But, it aint over yet.
Old 12-17-2013, 3:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Recockulous...
Old 12-17-2013, 6:53 PM
#1 Bull Goose Loony

Quote:

Thanks
Bill

This case is nowhere near it's end. This was just an early step in a long process. Maybe another year or two?
California Rifle and Pistol Association - http://crpa.org/membership/
Sacramento County Sheriff Concealed Carry Info - https://www.sacsheriff.com/Pages/Org.../SIIB/CCW.aspx
Second Amendment Foundation - http://www.saf.org
Old 12-17-2013, 8:01 PM
Veteran Member

If you read the blog entry the issue of standing seems to be something that they pay a lot of attention to. You bet the judge wants to discard it based on standing but it appears that it as made clear that standing isn't the issue.

What pisses me off is that it may take 3 to 6 months just to find out if it does to trial. No wonder these things take forever.
Old 12-17-2013, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
If you read the blog entry the issue of standing seems to be something that they pay a lot of attention to. You bet the judge wants to discard it based on standing but it appears that it as made clear that standing isn't the issue.

What pisses me off is that it may take 3 to 6 months just to find out if it does to trial. No wonder these things take forever.
... and another 2+ years on appeal, if handled expeditiously, regardless of who prevails at the trial court.

At least things are starting to shake loose with Chovan, then a favorable trial court ruling in Silvester, and now progress in Peña. Hopefully the streak continues, and we don't get Palmered on the carry cases that were argued just over a year ago at 9CA.

Case Status: Peña v. Cid (Handgun Roster). SF v. 44Mag (Mag Parts Kits). Bauer v. Harris (DROS Fees). Davis v. LA (CCW policy). Jackson v. SF (Ammo/Storage). Teixeira (FFL Zoning). First Unitarian v. NSA (Privacy). Silvester (Waiting Period). Schoepf (DROS Delay). Haynie (AW ban). SFVPOA v. SF (10+ mag possession ban). Bear in Public: Drake (3CA); Moore (7CA); Richards, Peruta, McKay (9CA).
Old 12-18-2013, 10:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The court asked the parties to stipulate to some additional facts. That request should be here - http://www.archive.org/download/gov....91444.78.0.pdf - but RECAP is having some issues today.

The relevant text is:
Quote:
The court now orders the parties to file a stipulation as to the following evidence:

1. How many of the 1,273 handguns on the roster contained in Exhibit A of Stephen Lindley’s Declaration are semiautomatics? (See ECF 59.)

2. How many of these semiautomatics are center fire and how many rimfire?

3. How many of these semiautomatics are grandfathered and not subject to the UHA’s microstamping requirement?
The parties have 14 days to file a joint statement or any opposition/disagreement on those facts (if any.)

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 12-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Calguns Addict

How is it the Edwards case doesn't get visited
The one about ccw, where the judge specifically stated his rights were not violated because he could open carry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Those stipulations actually do not sound promising

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2013, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
3. How many of these semiautomatics are grandfathered and not subject to the UHA’s microstamping requirement?
Is that an extract from the existing Roster, or something else?

Presuming Roster, and that they don't fall off the Roster, and the Legislature does not further change the law, the answer is 'all of them'.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Is that an extract from the existing Roster, or something else?

Presuming Roster, and that they don't fall off the Roster, and the Legislature does not further change the law, the answer is 'all of them'.
Actually not true.

Armatrix iP1 / Steel; Polymer Pistol 3.58" .22 LR

The only semiauto added after the microstamping was required
Old 12-19-2013, 2:01 AM

Er, wait, what? Does this Armatrix have microstamping? I found on another thread that it has all kinds of oddball features (like an electronic mag disconnect) and costs an arm and a leg - but I saw nothing about microstamping.
Old 12-19-2013, 2:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaS View Post
Actually not true.

Armatrix iP1 / Steel; Polymer Pistol 3.58" .22 LR

The only semiauto added after the microstamping was required
It seems that guns submitted for testing appear to get the rules for the date of submission; changes to the law that go into effect during testing do not apply.

I would have no way to know for sure, but I suspect that would be the case here.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-19-2013, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
Er, wait, what? Does this Armatrix have microstamping? I found on another thread that it has all kinds of oddball features (like an electronic mag disconnect) and costs an arm and a leg - but I saw nothing about microstamping.
http://www.armatix.us/Home.783.0.html?&L=7

I didn't see anything about microstamping on their website. It all looks really expensive, made in Germany. ETA: €7,000 (or $9,700) for the iP1. Not in my price range for a .22 lr plinker! Various kinds of safety devices for different guns that rely on battery power. That could be a potential problem.

Last edited by RipVanWinkle; 12-19-2013 at 2:57 PM..
Old 12-19-2013, 3:06 PM
Veteran Member

I well be very happy when the government approved list of books, eerrrrrrr guns goes away.
Old 12-19-2013, 3:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipVanWinkle View Post
I didn't see anything about microstamping on their website. It all looks really expensive, made in Germany. ETA: €7,000 (or $9,700) for the iP1. Not in my price range for a .22 lr plinker! Various kinds of safety devices for different guns that rely on battery power. That could be a potential problem.
The gun doesn't have microstamping, but that doesn't even begin to address problems with the concept they are pushing.

We should pretty much actively boycott any product and any affiliate of this company. This is not the proper "innovation" that is offered on the "free market" where we pay for a novelty or interesting concept just to try it out or to see how it works, especially if it's very exotic. Quite the opposite - these guys are trying to exploit the most restrictive firearm markets by lobbying for legislative monopoly on their technology and *forcing* their product on people as the only solution.

We better make sure they never do any market research on our backs, then convince legislators that all guns have to have electronics they provide. This is a concept of "roster microstamping" on steroids.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The court asked the parties to stipulate to some additional facts. ...
The parties have 14 days to file a joint statement or any opposition/disagreement on those facts (if any.)
My interpretation of that is, the court is thinking:
  1. A center-fire semi-auto pistol is the standard choice for self-defense in America
  2. If there are a wide range of center-fire semi-autos here, then maybe the right isn't being burdened

It's reasonable for the court to want to know that. They may not have a sense for how much of a burden it is. If there are, say, 10,000 different semi-auto centerfire pistols to choose from, then maybe this law isn't a burden. On the other hand, if there are only 5 to choose from, then it is a burden. (The real number is somewhere in the hundreds I guess, which, to me, is a burden.)

Math denialism: We can have free, universal healthcare, $15/hr minimum wage, and open borders.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The Armatix does not have microstamping.

-Gene

Last edited by hoffmang; 12-20-2013 at 9:00 PM.. Reason: Corrected autocorrected spelling.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
The Armatux does not have microstamping.

-Gene
I stand corrected. I (falsely) assumed it did.

I agree with others about the BS with this gun. They talk about integrating it with computers and tracking explicitly. No thanks.

What does it say that a gun developed by a bunch of opportunistic statists, whose goal is to explicitly develop arms that will allow for tight state control, still didn't incorporate mircostamping?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWFacts View Post
  1. ...
  2. If there are a wide range of center-fire semi-autos here, then maybe the right isn't being burdened
Rosa Parks wasn't burdened at all by having had to sit in the back of the bus. It was the same type of seat, same comfort of the ride, arrived at the same time as the front of the bus and everything else was pretty much the same.

When talking about civil rights it's the government that needs to prove a restriction is achieving something, not merely say it's not doing any harm. This is the core of why a civil right is such an important concept.
Old 12-20-2013, 1:27 AM

Who picks up .22lr brass anyway? I don't like microstamping because it is really hard to tell which brass is yours when you are trying to beat the other brass vultures at the range. Now, I might consider paying extra for full-color macrostamping.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
Rosa Parks wasn't burdened at all by having had to sit in the back of the bus. It was the same type of seat, same comfort of the ride, arrived at the same time as the front of the bus and everything else was pretty much the same.

When talking about civil rights it's the government that needs to prove a restriction is achieving something, not merely say it's not doing any harm. This is the core of why a civil right is such an important concept.
I agree with you, but many judges are in the mindset of looking at this as a public policy question, like regulating tobacco or something. As Gura said (paraphrasing) in some brief, yes, it is a public policy issue, and the public set the policy in the constitution 200 years ago, and so judges don't need to look at crime statistics to figure this stuff out... But judges still aren't treating it like a civil right, and now that Obama can appoint judges without a supermajority, we're going to have a lot of judges who don't see any civil rights aspect to it.

Math denialism: We can have free, universal healthcare, $15/hr minimum wage, and open borders.
Old 12-20-2013, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post

Exactly. Or, since you can speak freely on one square foot of land in the middle of the Mojave Desert, the government can ban public speaking in all other public places.
Old 01-21-2014, 3:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Looks like the two largest public firearm manufacturers in the world are letting all of their guns fall off the roster due to DOJ's ridiculous demands...

[public as in publicly traded]
Old 01-21-2014, 7:38 PM
Calguns Addict

has there been any movement on this case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Not at all. Trump is a loser and will lose amazingly on Tuesday. It's going to be so big, we are all going to be sick and tired of how much he loses on Tuesday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
Nah, no sense in replying to the personal attacks/baiting.
Old 01-21-2014, 7:45 PM
Banned

Default Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy View Post
No......
Old 01-21-2014, 8:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy View Post
And how much longer?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calplinker View Post
No......
lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Not at all. Trump is a loser and will lose amazingly on Tuesday. It's going to be so big, we are all going to be sick and tired of how much he loses on Tuesday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
Nah, no sense in replying to the personal attacks/baiting.