Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 11-21-2020, 1:59 PM

Default conflicting info about spousal transfer

Hi!! I was under the impression that you could transfer a handgun to a spouse and not have to use an FFL and that you could just do it as a intrafamilial transfer. Is this true? The two FFL we normally use are closing and/or changing owners and aren't doing any transfers. We called another one to see if they were even doing transfers and they said we just had to do it online but the only one I can find online is the one for family members, it doesn't give spouse as an option. We both have our safety cards. This will be his first hand gun registered to him but he has passed a background for a handgun (ended up returning it). I'm kinda lost on the steps we need to take. It has to be registered in his name because he will be using it for work. Thanks for the help!!!
Old 11-21-2020, 2:06 PM

Default conflicting info about spousal transfer

The OPLAW form at https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...orms/oplaw.pdf has a box for spouse. The Report of Operation of Law form on the CFARS website has a drop down that says “transmutation of property between spouses”.

Last edited by ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ; 11-21-2020 at 2:09 PM..
Old 11-21-2020, 2:15 PM

That’s the one that has to be printed and mailed in correct?
Old 11-21-2020, 3:03 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel141925 View Post
That’s the one that has to be printed and mailed in correct?
Yes, OPLAW, link above, is the print and mail. Wife would fill it out.

No acknowledgment is required; those are taking months. The transfer is effective as of the date you write on the form, it just will not be in the State database

CFARS is faster to get the ownership record changed/established, if that matters.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-21-2020, 3:12 PM

Thank you!! I did the one on CFARS. I figured it out. At least I hope I did. Guess we’ll see lol.
Old 11-21-2020, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Yes, OPLAW, link above, is the print and mail. Wife would fill it out.

No acknowledgment is required; those are taking months. The transfer is effective as of the date you write on the form, it just will not be in the State database

CFARS is faster to get the ownership record changed/established, if that matters.
If your transferring to her for CCW and she needs to qualify with it, the snail mail method may be a problem if the LE checks to see if it is registered in her name.