Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2019, 10:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Visiting California with non-roster handgun, is this still okay?

Hi Folks,

I am flying out to California next week to visit family and I was thinking of bringing one of my pistols with me, it will be a 1911 with less than 10 round magazines, also one box of ammo (less than 51 rounds).

NOTE 1: I know how to fly with firearms and ammo, not looking for advice on this in general unless there is something specific about California

NOTE 2: I know how to secure and keep unloaded a firearm in a vehicle while in California UNLESS something has changed over the last 3 years since I escaped from that state.

The 1911 I would be bringing with me I am fairly certain is not on California's safe handgun roster and I'm not going to go check. Also I know there are restrictions on bringing ammo but since this is a visit and a small amount I'm hoping there is an exception to this since I am an out-of-state resident and both the gun and the ammo will be leaving with me when I leave California.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 11-21-2019, 11:06 AM

As long as it is not a prohibited firearm (AW, etc) then bring it and your ammo. Non-residents can bring in ammo for personal use. Mag limits apply to everyone however but being a 1911 you are likely 8-10 rounds max anyway
Old 11-21-2019, 11:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

bring all the ammo yoou want upto 11lbs. off roster does not apply to you.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

A 1911 with a threaded barrel is a no go.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Great, thanks guys!

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 11-21-2019, 8:43 PM

Just do not plan on carrying it ANYWHERE except unloaded and in a locked case, unless you are retired LEO with a concealed carry license. And if you are visiting SF, be sure not to bring any 10+ mags with you (local ordinance that applies even to off duty LEO.)
Old 11-22-2019, 7:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
And if you are visiting SF, be sure not to bring any 10+ mags with you (local ordinance that applies even to off duty LEO.)

Hmmm... I need to be pointed to this law please. Was not aware.

NRA/USCCA/DOJ instructor, NRA CRSO, Journalist
Old 11-22-2019, 8:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

And if you want to make some $, sell it here before you leave.
Old 11-22-2019, 8:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Some localities may have laws peculiar to them. For instance, see San Francisco Municipal Police Ordinance 618: Ammunition.

Quote:
On April 2013 the San Francisco Board of Supervisors enacted San Francisco Municipal Police Code 618. The following ammunition is prohibited in the City and County of San Francisco:
Winchester Black Talon
Federal Premium "Law Enforcement Ammunition Tactical"
Hornady "TAP (Tactical Application Police) Law Enforcement Ammunition"
Not saying that such ordinances are constitutional or even enforced, but watch out for them. Here is a link to a somewhat recent Calguns discussion of the SF ordinance. https://calguns.net/calgunforum/show....php?t=1527253
Old 11-23-2019, 5:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
How could he legally sell it, unless it was to a parent, child, grandchild or LEO?
Old 11-23-2019, 5:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

FUD from jimijah. Not like him or is it tongue in cheek.
Old 11-23-2019, 5:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlglock View Post
Hmmm... I need to be pointed to this law please. Was not aware.
I don’t know about the frisco ordinance, but IIRC Sunnyvale has the same thing. Any mag over 10 rounds is considered a nuisance and can be confiscated by LE.

https://www.latimes.com/local/califo...305-story.html

https://qcode.us/codes/sunnyvale/
9.44.050 of the code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
How could he legally sell it, unless it was to a parent, child, grandchild or LEO?
If it goes through an FFL I don’t think there is a problem.

IIRC, fed law states something along the lines that any transfer crossing state lines must be processed through an FFL. It doesn’t necessarily have to go directly from another state to an in state FFL. But, I’m don’t think it would be considered a PPT either.

Of course if I’m wrong, I’m sure someone will be along shortly to correct me.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

Last edited by SonofWWIIDI; 11-23-2019 at 5:53 AM..
Old 11-23-2019, 6:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

More fud. Only a person with ca id or d/l can sell off roster in ftf with another ca resident.
Old 11-25-2019, 4:53 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
FUD from jimijah. Not like him or is it tongue in cheek.

If it goes through an FFL I don’t think there is a problem.

IIRC, fed law states something along the lines that any transfer crossing state lines must be processed through an FFL. It doesn’t necessarily have to go directly from another state to an in state FFL. But, I’m don’t think it would be considered a PPT either.

Of course if I’m wrong, I’m sure someone will be along shortly to correct me.

More fud. Only a person with ca id or d/l can sell off roster in ftf with another ca resident.
Handguns imported into CA for sale need to be listed on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale or be exempt from it. [PC 32000(a)]

A PPT is an exemption for a handgun to not be listed on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale. [PC 32110(a)]

However, a PPT is limited to a face-to-face transfer between CA residents that is facilitated by a CA FFL dealer.
^If the handgun is shipped, then it is not a PPT and the handgun needs to be listed on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale or be exempt by other means.
^If one of the parties involved is a non-resident of CA, then it is not a PPT and the handgun needs to be listed on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale or be exempt by other means.

Therefore...

A non-resident of CA is prohibited from transferring an off-Roster handgun to a CA resident unless an exemption is utilized (LEO sale, out-of-state intra-familial gift, C&R, OTP, SAE, SSE2).

LEO sale = transferee is a LEO. [PC 32000(b)(4),(5),(6)]
out-of-state intra-familial gift = transferor and the transferee are immediate family members or spouses. [PC 32110(b)]
C&R = the handgun is a C&R firearm. [PC 32000(b)(3) & 32110(g)]
OTP = the handgun is listed as an exempt Olympic Target Pistol. [PC 32105]
SAE = the handgun is a dimensionally compliant single-action revolver. [PC 32100(a)]
SSE2 = the handgun is a dimensionally compliant bolt-action single-shot pistol or dimensionally compliant break-open single-shot pistol that has never been a semi-auto firearm. [PC 32100(b)]

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 11-25-2019 at 5:03 PM..
Old 11-27-2019, 1:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Handguns imported into CA for sale need to be listed on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale or be exempt from it. [PC 32000(a)]

A PPT is an exemption for a handgun to not be listed on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale. [PC 32110(a)]

However, a PPT is limited to a face-to-face transfer between CA residents that is facilitated by a CA FFL dealer.
^If the handgun is shipped, then it is not a PPT and the handgun needs to be listed on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale or be exempt by other means.
^If one of the parties involved is a non-resident of CA, then it is not a PPT and the handgun needs to be listed on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale or be exempt by other means.

Therefore...

A non-resident of CA is prohibited from transferring an off-Roster handgun to a CA resident unless an exemption is utilized (LEO sale, out-of-state intra-familial gift, C&R, OTP, SAE, SSE2).

LEO sale = transferee is a LEO. [PC 32000(b)(4),(5),(6)]
out-of-state intra-familial gift = transferor and the transferee are immediate family members or spouses. [PC 32110(b)]
C&R = the handgun is a C&R firearm. [PC 32000(b)(3) & 32110(g)]
OTP = the handgun is listed as an exempt Olympic Target Pistol. [PC 32105]
SAE = the handgun is a dimensionally compliant single-action revolver. [PC 32100(a)]
SSE2 = the handgun is a dimensionally compliant bolt-action single-shot pistol or dimensionally compliant break-open single-shot pistol that has never been a semi-auto firearm. [PC 32100(b)]
Thanks.

I knew I forgot something.

Stupid roster!

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 11-27-2019, 9:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Is a PPT actually lilmited to CA residents by law or is it that the DROS software was designed to require a both seller and buyer to have CA identification? IIRC, Librarian calls this underground regulation.

This from an old thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
We - you and I particularly - have been through this - the software is what it is; I don't find any PC authority for it.

Last edited by Chewy65; 11-27-2019 at 9:52 AM..
Old 11-27-2019, 9:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
And why aren't brothers and sisters on that list anyway?
Old 11-27-2019, 9:47 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
And why aren't brothers and sisters on that list anyway?
One must ask Our Fine Legislators about that. However, that definition has been in the PC more than 30 years, I believe, so the group of legislators who might have been in on the definition is likely rather thinned out due to age.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.