Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 02-09-2019, 9:25 AM

Default Work bench light and magnifier...recommendations please

Hi, i need to add some more light to my work bench and thought of perhaps one of the desk lamp types with magnification...anyone use them? are they any good? thanks
Old 02-09-2019, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

I find it easier to use my head mounted magnifier. I bought a bright fluorescent floor lamp at Walmart that provides decent close up lighting, they sell a desk version too. I also use a headlamp when the occasion demands. I see they are now offering a head mounted magnifier with a built in LED lamp, looks interesting.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 02-09-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
I find it easier to use my head mounted magnifier. I bought a bright fluorescent floor lamp at Walmart that provides decent close up lighting, they sell a desk version too. I also use a headlamp when the occasion demands. I see they are now offering a head mounted magnifier with a built in LED lamp, looks interesting.
Perfect, thanks! I’m looking for the same solution. As soon as the snow stops off to Wallyworld!

Proud member of the 2016 California Quitters Club
Old 02-09-2019, 12:38 PM

Carson Optical Pro series, but I doubt you'll find them Walmart

https://www.amazon.com/Carson-MagniV...rds=carson+pro
Old 02-09-2019, 2:29 PM

In my shop I have "task lights" or "machine lights" attached to various machine tools. You know, the kind with the base that clamps to a bench and articulated arm? They range from the cheap $16 kind, to the $100 kind. The El Cheapo models are somewhat of a headache, with weak springs that don't necessarily hold the light exactly where you want it. In other words, you get what you pay for.

For magnification, I really like the headband style magnifier. OptiVisor is a pretty good one.
Old 02-09-2019, 3:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Best lights for a shop are general purpose lights. Lots of them. Multi-source lights make it less likely you will shade your work with your body. My shop is overkill, but has 14+ 4’ flurescent tubes in a 20x20 space. Its hard to cast a shadow in there no matter where you are and what you are doing.
Old 02-09-2019, 4:46 PM

^^^Ha! You got me beat, WR. My garage has 7 fixtures for 14 tubes, but the square footage is a little bigger.

But here's a hot tip for you. I put the fixtures in nearly 30 years ago, and recently I've been irked by the maintenance. Fluorescent tubes go out, humming ballasts, and eventually you end up with different colors. I was getting tired of it. So I took a chance and bought some LED's off Amazon. Hyperikon, four footers, 5k, 2400 lumens, and they fit in the existing fixture. At seven bucks a tube, they weren't the cheapest, but they were Prime and had good reviews. Lemme tell you: these things ROCK! It's now like daytime in the garage. If it was a little warmer right now, I'd go out there and work on my tan.
Old 02-09-2019, 4:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
For magnification, I really like the headband style magnifier. OptiVisor is a pretty good one.
I have had an Optivisor in my toolkit since about 1982, it's still going strong. I recommend buying the loupe attachment, it comes in real handy at times.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 02-10-2019, 8:21 AM

If you have cabinets above your workbench, these work great. I put some under the kitchen cabinets and they worked so well that I added some above both my reloading and smithing benches.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-20ft-6M-...frcectupt=true
Old 02-10-2019, 8:38 AM
Veteran Member

The 4X magnifing florescent swing arm work nice.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 02-10-2019, 10:07 AM

I threw away two Luxo Lamps with magnifying lenses. They jiggle. They fog from your breath. Hunching over them makes my neck hurt. The ring light is no good in concept.

A point source of light works. Diffuse light is not good for delicate tasks, like checkering or carving. You need to see the shadows. I now use an optovisor. For task lighting is use clip on mechanics reflector lights with LED bulbs. Make a stand to clip the light to. You can cut off the plastic globe from LEDs to make an excellent spotlight.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:51 AM

lots of great info, thanks...was all set to purchase a clamp on magnifying ring lamp....glad for the information
Old 02-10-2019, 10:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I use this magnifying lamp on my reloading bench purchased from Harbor Freight-https://www.harborfreight.com/fluore...amp-60643.html

It isn't bad for Harbor Freight. You can get it even cheaper if you wait for a sale.
Old 02-11-2019, 5:12 AM

I have a 4 foot led lamp under the shelf above my bench that works great. The magnification is a separate operation.