Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 07-01-2020, 1:03 PM
Veteran Member

I have yet to see a factory stock Glock that didn't shoot right on with the sights straight. It is always the shooter when they go one way or the other. Right handed shooters shoot left. Left hand shooters shoot right. If you really suck it is all over the place.

I am speaking from experience. In one of my first posts here I asked the same question as the OP. We all go through this unless professionally trained.

Originally Posted by icallshotgun88:

I'm sorry, but if you don't think Glocks are reliable then we can't be friends...
Old 07-01-2020, 1:31 PM

Please, OP, don't touch your sights. It's nearly certain to be you, and not your pistol. It's actually a joke, the number of guys who say their handgun's sights make them shoot low and to the left. I always shot that way until I took a few classes.

Here are two likely contributors: 1) over-torquing with your left hand (or the fingers of your left hand); and 2) anticipating recoil rather than standing by for a surprise break. To find out if it's number 2, have someone load a dummy round into the middle of your magazine and have him take a video of you. The moment you hit that dummy round, you'll see - and probably feel - your muzzle dip down like you're trying to stab the ground with the muzzle.

If I'm on my handgun enough during a range day, eventually my shots will drift to the 8:00, and that's my signal to run through my "8:00 list" again:
  • medium equilateral pressure left and right, with isolated pressure rearward from the trigger finger
  • a zen-like state of believing the gun will have no recoil
  • your front sight should be crystal clear, while your target should be slightly blurry.
  • slow presssssss
  • and when that muzzle comes up, you smile because you don't care where the impact was because it doesn't matter. No looking no cheating!

Then, when your sight settles down on target again and your finger has allowed the trigger to reset, you can see you hit the 10 ring. Congratulations.
Old 07-01-2020, 1:53 PM
Veteran Member

I noticed this as well, if I should every week I could easily get some nice groups at 25yards. However if I haven't touched a gun in like 6 months to a year my groups always started off low-right until I got the hang of them again.
Old 07-01-2020, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie1234 View Post
+1

Most of the range master will test the gun for you, if you sweet talk to him.
Or bench rest to test your gun.
I'll second that. I had a pistol that was shooting low, so I asked the range master to put 5 rounds on a specific POA and he confirmed it. Only took a moment.
Old 07-01-2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbc View Post
Forget the other wheel chart. This one is the effective one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ Lol
Old 07-01-2020, 3:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanguy93 View Post
i passed 1000 rounds in my glock and kind of understand how to align sights and squeeze the trigger without moving the gun,
however the glock 19 gen 3 keeps shooting left
Very common for right handers shooting in left. Very popular topic at the Glock Forum https://www.glocktalk.com/forum/general-glocking.19/

I noticed I am dead on center with my Glocks if that is the only handgun I shoot. If I shoot my 1911s or revolvers and then the Glock, I am back 'shooting left'. I think its all about the the grip and triggeronometry.

Enjoy the Glock, I do my friend
Old 07-01-2020, 4:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbc View Post
Forget the other wheel chart. This one is the effective one.

Thank you for sharing my friend, ROFLMAO
Old 07-01-2020, 4:50 PM

I'm following because I have the exact opposite problem, and I think it'll save some space to ask here instead of making another thread on essentially a mirror-imaged version of the problem.

Left-handed shooter, have grown up shooting a variety of hammer-fired, metal-framed handguns, and I've noticed no matter how I change my technique I consistently shoot to the right with my Glock 19 and M&P Shield, with my groups being roughly 3 inches to the right at 5 yards, 6 inches to the right at 10, and completely off the target by 15 yards.

I adjusted my sights to compensate, didn't work.

Adjusted where I placed my finger on the trigger (noticed I pulled the trigger on all my DA/SA guns with my first knuckle, and with the pad of my finger for SAO guns), and it doesn't change the results.

I've looked to see if it's the way I grip the handgun, using a quarter on top of the front sight as a reference to see if my grips off-center, and that doesn't seem to be the problem either.

At this point I'm well aware its a software problem and not a hardware problem. Is their some technique specific to striker fired/trigger safety handguns to be more accurate with them that's distinctly different from shooting say a 1911/P226/CZ-75 style handgun, or would it be wiser to seek out an instructor to see if they can diagnose an issue that I can't easily see? The main reason I don't look to say my friends at the gun range is frankly none of my friends that own guns actually own a Glock, so I really have no basis of comparison in that regard to their personal experience.
Old 07-01-2020, 5:50 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdha603 View Post
I'm following because I have the exact opposite problem, and I think it'll save some space to ask here instead of making another thread on essentially a mirror-imaged version of the problem.
Have you received professional firearms training before? You live 30 minutes from Gunsite. I'd give them a call tomorrow and sign up for their 250 course.

https://www.gunsite.com/classes/250-...-pistol-class/
Old 07-01-2020, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3Pros View Post
Have you received professional firearms training before? You live 30 minutes from Gunsite. I'd give them a call tomorrow and sign up for their 250 course.

https://www.gunsite.com/classes/250-...-pistol-class/
I've received training in Basic Rifle Marksmanship a compressed form of training for an M9 pistol in the US Army, and familiarization lessons on the M249/M240B, but other than that I haven't had other forms of professional training.

I'll have to see about scheduling a class then, though I'm guessing I'm going to have to plan a couple months ahead to avoid most of the COVID related concerns.

Do you know if they care if I bring multiple firearms? I primarily would intend on bringing my Glock and Shield to diagnose and rectify my issues on them, but I'm thinking I might bring one of my Sig Sauer's in case I have to fall back on something I'm more consistent with to get more out of the class.
Old 07-01-2020, 6:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Then thereís this little bit of drama to add to the mix from Larry Vickers. Scroll to 4:30 in the video.

https://youtu.be/IIl912RdZC8

When I start shooting low left, itís because Iím anticipating and flinching.

Old 07-01-2020, 6:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Left-handed shooter, have grown up shooting a variety of hammer-fired, metal-framed handguns, and I've noticed no matter how I change my technique I consistently shoot to the right with my Glock 19 and M&P Shield, with my groups being roughly 3 inches to the right at 5 yards, 6 inches to the right at 10, and completely off the target by 15 yards.

I adjusted my sights to compensate, didn't work.

Adjusted where I placed my finger on the trigger (noticed I pulled the trigger on all my DA/SA guns with my first knuckle, and with the pad of my finger for SAO guns), and it doesn't change the results.

I've looked to see if it's the way I grip the handgun, using a quarter on top of the front sight as a reference to see if my grips off-center, and that doesn't seem to be the problem either.

At this point I'm well aware its a software problem and not a hardware problem. Is their some technique specific to striker fired/trigger safety handguns to be more accurate with them that's distinctly different from shooting say a 1911/P226/CZ-75 style handgun, or would it be wiser to seek out an instructor to see if they can diagnose an issue that I can't easily see? The main reason I don't look to say my friends at the gun range is frankly none of my friends that own guns actually own a Glock, so I really have no basis of comparison in that regard to their personal experience.
Without seeing your shooting, odds are you are having changes in grip pressure when pulling the trigger. This is very typical of people who have a relaxed grip that tightens under firing. Hold any handgun out of yours with your left hand with a one hand grip and squeeze. If your gun moves, you're not gripping hard enough.

Assuming you have proper support hand placement when shooting with two hands, visualize torquing both of your hands into the gun. Try torquing you're right hand into the gun to counter an involuntary flinch. Bob Vogel talks about this at 3m26s: https://youtu.be/45QhpvY9LZc

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.
Old 07-01-2020, 6:37 PM

C380AD40-C783-4D8A-8889-22630C159124.jpg

Everyone remain calm, we're only dealing with first world problems, women, alcohol, and firearms.
Old 07-01-2020, 6:40 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Do you know if they care if I bring multiple firearms? I primarily would intend on bringing my Glock and Shield to diagnose and rectify my issues on them, but I'm thinking I might bring one of my Sig Sauer's in case I have to fall back on something I'm more consistent with to get more out of the class.
Don't get wrapped around the axle about types of guns. Just bring the semi auto handgun you shoot the best, and a back up handgun in case that gun stops working.

The skills you will learn will not be specific to a particular type of handgun or action. A guy who can truly play the electric guitar won't be stumped if he is handed a ukulele or banjo.

Often we will have students in our class blame the gun or caliber for their performance. Our lead instructor will take their gun and shoot it in front of the class at a very high level of proficiency. His point is that "which gun" or caliber doesn't really matter a whole lot.

Last edited by T3Pros; 07-01-2020 at 6:45 PM..
Old 07-01-2020, 7:20 PM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
Then thereís this little bit of drama to add to the mix from Larry Vickers. Scroll to 4:30 in the video.

https://youtu.be/IIl912RdZC8
Yup! This video usually shows up on debates on "Glock Perfection."

I guess that is why LV switched to bringing his HKs in class?

_
Old 07-01-2020, 7:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Yup! This video usually shows up on debates on "Glock Perfection."

I guess that is why LV switched to bringing his HKs in class?

_

It is a very interesting statement from Larry.
Itís obvious when I do it. If I get tired or havenít gotten out to train in a bit, Iíll pull them low left, especially with my glocks.
The plate rack will make an honest man out of you.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:52 PM
Calguns Addict

You guys are flinching.

If you are a right hander shooting left, change hands and shoot a few mags. You still shooting left? Though so.

Dry fire.
Old 07-02-2020, 2:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
You guys are flinching.

If you are a right hander shooting left, change hands and shoot a few mags. You still shooting left? Though so.

Dry fire.

In my case, yes, no doubt and absolutely.
It really rears itís head when I start getting tired after shooting a lot. Iíll start hitting the lower cross bar on the plate rack.

Old 07-02-2020, 4:33 PM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
In my case, yes, no doubt and absolutely.
It really rears itís head when I start getting tired after shooting a lot. Iíll start hitting the lower cross bar on the plate rack.
Same here!

Yeah, El Snatcho for me rears its head when I am tired, as well, such I don't fully focus on my grip/wrist and follow-through... I usually observe it once I hit the 300-rd mark in mid-afternoon, say, if I am taking a class. Or, during the last couple of stages of a day match...

Sometimes I have to pull out a Red Bull for those moments!

_
Old 07-02-2020, 4:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Same here!

Yeah, El Snatcho for me rears its head when I am tired, as well, such I don't fully focus on my grip/wrist and follow-through... I usually observe it once I hit the 300-rd mark in mid-afternoon, say, if I am taking a class. Or, during the last couple of stages of a day match...

Sometimes I have to pull out a Red Bull for those moments!

_

You know itís funny I was going to say the same thing but left it out of my reply. Around 300 rounds in and I start making mistakes, and itís always the same one. Low left, recoil anticipation/flinch.

Old 07-02-2020, 4:58 PM

Whatever the reason, it's most likely YOU and not the gun.

FWIW, although my sights are properly "centered," I always have a habit of shooting to the right, regardless of the gun that I am shooting, largely because I'm a left eye dominant/left hand shooter.

This has mostly to do w/how I hold/sight the gun and it takes deliberate concentration to properly sight the gun to center the shots particularly at 25 yards which I shoot frequently to "cure" bad shooting habits that are not as apparent at 10-15 yards.

BTW, I mostly shoot Glocks -- 17, 26, 21 and 30 but also shoot various 22s (Mod 41, GSG, Hammerli 208s) and other pistols and I have to pay attention to not shoot right.

So, I'm not just being flippant and truly believe that something YOU are doing is making your shots go right. You just need to figure out what and correct it.

Make America Great Again And . . .

There is Mourning in America . . .

Last edited by sgt1372; 07-02-2020 at 5:04 PM..
Old 07-02-2020, 8:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Glocks shoot low and left.

Or do you just hate her so much you can't let go?
Old 07-03-2020, 9:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
None of mine do.

Originally Posted by icallshotgun88:

I'm sorry, but if you don't think Glocks are reliable then we can't be friends...
Old 07-03-2020, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulJoker View Post
Yes they are . You have to adjust your grip. Itís not the gun , itís your grip.
I have shot the G17 and G19 and in general any plastic gun I can't shoot right no matter what. I do think is the grip and usually the Glocks are better suited for large hands with large finger and small
Old 07-03-2020, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
... At this point I'm well aware its a software problem and not a hardware problem. Is their some technique specific to striker fired/trigger safety handguns to be more accurate with them that's distinctly different from shooting say a 1911/P226/CZ-75 style handgun ...
I shoot all types of handguns but I never got to where I wanted to be with Single Action revolvers especially the Colts. With the Rugers I got the large Pachmyr grips but still I was not at the place I was with DA revolvers, 1911s, 92FS or even Glocks.

So I think it falls under "one size does not fit all".

Thank you for sharing.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
None of mine do.

Mine shoot straight, as well

Way too crazy thread

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

ďCriminals, tyrants and terrorists donít do background checks.Ē ó Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020
Old 07-03-2020, 11:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
Whatever the reason, it's most likely YOU
Heís a new shooter in 2020. It very well could be Trumpís fault.
Old 07-03-2020, 1:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just buy a 1911 and hit the bullseye.

Or do you just hate her so much you can't let go?
Old 07-03-2020, 1:11 PM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Just buy a 1911 and hit the bullseye.
Nah... If the shooter still flinches at the wrist not being locked or a sympathetic motion due to the tightening of the grip upon pressing the trigger, it will still shoot low and left...

The best way to settle this and end the thread is this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015273478

There are only so many ways to skin a cat...

_
Old 07-03-2020, 1:24 PM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Let me shoot the gun. I'll tell you if it's the indian or the arrow.
Old 07-03-2020, 1:50 PM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordupmybrotha View Post

_
Old 07-03-2020, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanguy93 View Post
i've shot a full size pistol sig p226 9mm and it was easier to shoot than my glock 19, are compact hand guns harder to shoot?
Get rid of the G-19 and get the P226...Problem solved.

After 2K rds of ammo the money spend on ammo is more than the G-19 ,
after 3K rds of ammo the money spend on ammo is more than P226. Either guns will last you a life time and you must shoot 10K, 20K or more in your life time.
Old 07-03-2020, 3:45 PM
Veteran Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie1234 View Post
Get rid of the G-19 and get the P226...Problem solved.
https://sobtactical.com/about/