Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 12-03-2022, 8:22 PM

Default Firearm tansfer to Texas

Hi,

If an FFL wants to ship a pistol to Texas, should the shipment go through a Texas FFL? The guy in Texas bought the firearm legally in California, then moved to Texas, but left the firearm with family in California.

Thanks!

--Malcolm
Old 12-03-2022, 8:31 PM
RSG Minion, Senior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Guys with the legal knowledge should provide input soon.

Two things I suggest:
Ask the suggested receiving FFL what they require because sometimes FFLs have additional requirements in addition to law.
Also, check prices, transfer fees can vary greatly from FFL to FFL.
Old 12-04-2022, 2:02 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malco View Post
Hi,

If an FFL wants to ship a pistol to Texas, should the shipment go through a Texas FFL? The guy in Texas bought the firearm legally in California, then moved to Texas, but left the firearm with family in California.

Thanks!

--Malcolm
Federal laws prohibit the transfer of firearms between residents of different States without the use of a FFL. [18 USC 922(a)(3)(5)]
There is no intra-familial or gift exemptions to these Federal laws.
The Federal laws apply to who has physical possession or control over the firearm and who has ownership does not provide any type of exemption.

Federal laws prohibit a FFL from transferring a handgun to a non-resident of their State. [18 USC 922(b)(3)]

Because the transferee is now a TX resident and the transferer is a CA resident, any transfer between them must be done through a FFL and, since the TX resident is the transferee, the transfer must be done through a TX FFL dealer.

Failure to utilize a TX FFL dealer equates to a Federal felony for everyone involved with the transfer. [18 USC 924(a)(1)(D)]

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 12-04-2022 at 2:04 PM..
Old 12-04-2022, 2:40 PM
Calguns Addict

It's not a transfer of ownership that the law refers to. It's his own gun. Now figure it out.......

Can he just get a ship my gun label and have his family member send it to him?

Last edited by M1NM; 12-04-2022 at 2:45 PM..
Old 12-04-2022, 2:49 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
It's not a transfer. It's his own gun. Now figure it out.......

Can he just get a ship my gun label and have his family member send it to him?
Federal laws apply to the transfer of possession.
There is no ownership exemption to the Federal laws.

The CA residents currently have possession of it and the transfer of possession is to a TX resident.

To be legal under Federal laws, the CA resident must ship it to a TX FFL dealer, who will then transfer it to the TX resident.

Also under Federal laws, while in another State, it is legal for the TX resident to ship the firearm to themselves at their TX address, as long as no person other than the TX resident opens the package.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 12-04-2022 at 2:54 PM..
Old 12-05-2022, 7:10 AM

My 2 cents...

If the son turned it over to me to ship to his dad out of state, I'd insist it goes to a FFL. How would I know it really belongs to the dad? How would I log it out of my A&D book?
Old 12-05-2022, 10:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malco View Post
Hi,

Thanks!

--Malcolm
For those doing this, take your gun with YOU when moving. It’s really that simple