Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 11-07-2018, 6:55 PM

Default Best SAA Clone?

What is a good single action revolver for around $600 or less? I'm specifically looking for a colt style action with 4 clicks. It seems the Cimarron/Uberti clones have gone to a transfer bar system this year. Are Traditions still 4 clicks, or any other options I'm not seeing?
Old 11-07-2018, 7:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good question.
I know EAA has several single action revolvers ( in popular calibers) that look and act quite nicely. Not sure if they are 4 or 3 clicks, or not.
Honesty, I really do not care if a SAA type gun has 3 or 4 clicks so long as they have smooth actions, good triggers, with fit and finish that is immaculate.
Old 11-07-2018, 7:13 PM

I really like my Uberti Smoke Wagon Deluxe. It has four clicks. And is slicked up for competition.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by jwfire25; 11-07-2018 at 7:16 PM..
Old 11-07-2018, 7:13 PM

Uberti makes them in that price range and I believe they can still be had with the 4 hammer clicks. Taylor's resells the uberti clones in many configurations and their tuned ones are very nice. They have great customer service and if you give them a ring I'm sure they could help you find a nice one.

Last edited by JacobR; 11-07-2018 at 7:16 PM..
Old 11-07-2018, 7:21 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone. Ill look into the Smoke Wagon.
Old 11-07-2018, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python6357 View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. Ill look into the Smoke Wagon.
It is a Uberti that is tuned by Taylors from my understanding. Beware, I heard the new Uberti's don't have 4 clicks. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

Old 11-07-2018, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfire25 View Post
It is a Uberti that is tuned by Taylors from my understanding. Beware, I heard the new Uberti's don't have 4 clicks. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

Thats what Ive been hearing too. Looking like all the Italian repros have gone to a transfer bar. I may just have to look for a used gun.
Old 11-08-2018, 1:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a relatively recent Uberti (year or two old) and it does have a type of safety, but it's not transfer bar.

Instead, the firing pin is still in the hammer, but it's somewhat loose until the trigger is pressed. It's really hard to tell unless you know what you're looking for. This makes it safe to carry with hammer down on a live round, but I doubt anyone actually carries SAA these days.

As for four clicks, the third one is very weak. I would still consider it four clicks, but if you're not paying attention, it might sound like just three.

CORRECTION, it's the *first* click that is not all that tactile. Half cock is solid, and there are two more clicks after it...

Last edited by IVC; 11-08-2018 at 1:47 AM..
Old 11-08-2018, 7:06 AM

Turners had the Taylor tuned Smoke Wagon for $550 on their Wednesday deal yesterday in either 45 Colt or 357 mag. It’s gone on sale a few times recently.
Old 11-08-2018, 7:58 AM
Calguns Addict

The four clicks were originally said to spell out the word ... " C o l t ".

I guess we're lucky that revolver wasn't invented by U b e r t i.

... 6 clicks, It would have sounded like someone cracking knuckles.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
The four clicks were originally said to spell out the word ... " C o l t ".

I guess we're lucky that revolver wasn't invented by U b e r t i.

... 6 clicks, It would have sounded like someone cracking knuckles.
Hey, the more clicks the better! I don't know about you, but the sound of a gun's action makes me strangely tumescent...
Old 11-08-2018, 11:18 AM

Any truth to internet lore that some of these economy SAA 45's have varying cylinder and bore diameters that negatively impact accuracy? IE - small cylinder diameter and larger bore diameter.

"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire
Old 11-08-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Any truth to internet lore that some of these economy SAA 45's have varying cylinder and bore diameters that negatively impact accuracy? IE - small cylinder diameter and larger bore diameter.
I haven't heard that yet, I'd be interested to know as well. From everything I've seen they seem to be accurate as long as you do your part.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:16 PM

Years ago I had a Cimarron with a traditional fixed firing pin on the hammer (like a Colt). Unlike a Colt, the Cimarron (made by Uberti) had no firing pin bushing in the frame (in the face of the rear cylinder window). When the hammer dropped, the firing pin simply protruded through a hole in the frame to fire the cartridge.

Over time (not dry firing), the falling fixed-hammer firing pin ‘peened’ a burr at the lower edge of the hole, which eventually began to ‘drag’ against the cartridge cases loaded in the cylinder. First time I noticed was because the hammer (and action) got harder to cock, as if something was dragging, but at time I couldn’t figure out what was dragging.

The burr was filed off, and the revolver worked, but I worried at some point the firing pin would elongate the hole making ignition unreliable, so I traded it off (just my speculation, maybe that’s not the case in actual usage). Otherwise, the Cimarron was a pretty solid revolver.

Many newer SA models appear to now have internal safeties (transfer bar or traditional looking firing pin on the hammer, which is actually loose, and only engages when the trigger is pulled), but I do believe the tradition hammer fixed firing pin is still available. If revolver you’re considering has traditional fixed firing, try and find one with firing pin bushing.

I believe Cimarron offers both Uberti guns (Model P) and Pietta guns (Frontier). Not sure who makes Taylor. Good luck! You’ll enjoy those old SA clones.
Old 11-08-2018, 1:36 PM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Python6357

Hey, the more clicks the better! I don't know about you, but the sound of a gun's action makes me strangely tumescent...

I do believe this is the first use of the word "tumescent" I've seen here on calguns... at least in the almost 7 years I've been here. Of course there have been other, more well-known euphamisms, but rarely if ever "tumescent". Well played, sir.

Many of the early examples of the Italian clones are four-click hammers with floating firing pins in the hammer. You might go that way. There should be some decent examples offered on gunbroker.
"....there never yet was any truth or any principle so irresistibly obvious that all men believed it at once. Time and reason must cooperate with each other to the final establishment of any principle; and therefore those who may happen to be first convinced have not a right to persecute others, on whom conviction operates more slowly. The moral principle of revolutions is to instruct, not to destroy." - Thomas Paine

.TOMMY ROBINSON WALKS A FREE MAN! | 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 11-08-2018, 2:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
I have a relatively recent Uberti (year or two old) and it does have a type of safety, but it's not transfer bar.

Instead, the firing pin is still in the hammer, but it's somewhat loose until the trigger is pressed. It's really hard to tell unless you know what you're looking for. This makes it safe to carry with hammer down on a live round, but I doubt anyone actually carries SAA these days.

As for four clicks, the third one is very weak. I would still consider it four clicks, but if you're not paying attention, it might sound like just three.

CORRECTION, it's the *first* click that is not all that tactile. Half cock is solid, and there are two more clicks after it...
I bought one in 32-20 and the visual difference is in how far forward the trigger sits when the hammer is at rest. It's a pretty good system, however since the trigger must cam up a long pin to hold the firing pin solidly in place the trigger pull is a bit longer than a conventional SA pull. Nice and smooth, but still - it has some "dwell time" as the SA sear clears the more robust SA sear.
Old 11-08-2018, 3:16 PM

I have two Uberti's I bought three years ago and the both have the firing pin on the hammer..true replicas of the Colt SSA.

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 11-08-2018 at 3:18 PM..
Old 11-08-2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
I have two Uberti's I bought three years ago and the both have the firing pin on the hammer..true replicas of the Colt SSA.
Yeah, from what I've heard they just started to use the transfer bar system this year.
Another question. Everyone says you're supposed to only load 5, and rest the hammer on an empty chamber. Isn't the first click meant to be the safety? That way the firing pin isn't resting on a primer but you still get to load 6. Do people just not realize that is the purpose of the first click, or is there something I'm missing?
Old 11-08-2018, 4:50 PM

I think the safety notch (first click) can break off if the hammer hits something hard enough
Old 11-08-2018, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl1979 View Post
I think the safety notch (first click) can break off if the hammer hits something hard enough
I had heard that about the original early colts, I just didn't know if it was because of the design of the action, or just the strength of metal back then. I figured with metals being stronger now, maybe it would be fine.
Old 11-08-2018, 4:57 PM

I've always had new model rugers, so I really don't know about the newer ones. I sure carry my 30-30 with the hammer in the safety notch.
Old 11-08-2018, 5:04 PM

I got a Taylor's Smoke Wagon a couple of years ago and am impressed with it. It has the firing pin on the hammer and four click cocking. It also has a safety feature where the cylinder pin can be pushed back slightly through the frame to keep the hammer from dropping completely but I have my doubts of how good of a safety this is.

Last time I checked Uberti revolvers a year or so ago they still had their models split between traditional and transfer bar ones. If you can't find anymore Uberti traditionals then look at the SAA line at Pietta. Taylor's may also have some traditional stock left.
Old 11-08-2018, 5:05 PM

Yeah, Ive got a Winchester 97 that I keep on the safety notch and I've never had any concerns. But people tend to like to be on the safe side nowadays so who knows how dangerous it really is on a SAA.
Old 11-08-2018, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allhailflintlocks View Post
I got a Taylor's Smoke Wagon a couple of years ago and am impressed with it. It has the firing pin on the hammer and four click cocking. It also has a safety feature where the cylinder pin can be pushed back slightly through the frame to keep the hammer from dropping completely but I have my doubts of how good of a safety this is.

Last time I checked Uberti revolvers a year or so ago they still had their models split between traditional and transfer bar ones. If you can't find anymore Uberti traditionals then look at the SAA line at Pietta. Taylor's may also have some traditional stock left.
Seems like everyone likes the Smoke Wagon. I wonder if anyone carries a single action for defense. I found a pretty sweet tooled western shoulder holster on ebay, made right here in San Diego for $140. I know there's more practical options, but I'm all for carrying whatever you're comfortable and proficient with.
Old 11-08-2018, 7:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yeah, from what I've heard they just started to use the transfer bar system this year.
Another question. Everyone says you're supposed to only load 5, and rest the hammer on an empty chamber. Isn't the first click meant to be the safety? That way the firing pin isn't resting on a primer but you still get to load 6. Do people just not realize that is the purpose of the first click, or is there something I'm missing?
The "purpose" of the first notch and how things tend to happen are sometimes in opposition. True, the "safety notch" keeps the firing pin from resting on a primer. I suppose so long as the gun remains in the holster all is well, but of course that's not what guns are for. A dropped gun from anywhere near about waist level that happens to land on the hammer spur stands a very good chance of shearing the notch, or breaking the trigger's fragile sear, causing the gun to discharge. Likewise an accidental blow on the hammer during handling or even when holstered.

I would expect that when folks were actively engaged in shooting to save one's life they loaded all six, but for casual carry 5 was advised.

The transfer bar and other various "safety systems" such as an extra long base pin were designed to correct the "carry 5" protocol.
Old 11-08-2018, 8:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It's quite recent I was bummed that mine was a new model. I got it online and it didn't even occur to me to check since it had firing pin on the hammer and I wasn't aware of this new system.

Quote:
Original "safeties" were anything but, as others have pointed out, so it wasn't quite safe. Even today people debate whether, e.g., appendix carry is safe or not, particularly if one carries a striker fired pistol with some level of pre-tension on the striker.

Uberti also has an additional safety, where the "base pin" (here is the manual) can be pushed further in, blocking the hammer. I'm pretty sure nobody would use it for carry, but could be useful for transport of loaded gun.

Finally, there are two tricks that will tell you whether a person knows how to handle an SSA. One is loading of "load, skip, load, load, load, load," the other is knowing that from half-cock the hammer always goes all the way back (to complete the cycle as if it was cocked from rest), never straight down.
Old 11-08-2018, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Seems like everyone likes the Smoke Wagon. I wonder if anyone carries a single action for defense. I found a pretty sweet tooled western shoulder holster on ebay, made right here in San Diego for $140. I know there's more practical options, but I'm all for carrying whatever you're comfortable and proficient with.
The Smoke Wagon is just so very nicely done. Even the checkered grips, which seems strange on a SAA, work well.

A SAA is robust, about as simple mechanical design there is, and comes in proven man stopper calibers so you'd think it would be a shoo-in for self defense. And it would be, except an opponent could potentially be armed with a more modern DA revolver or semi auto pistol. If you are very quick and accurate with a SAA then yes it may make an acceptable defensive handgun but most people would be better served with the faster firing and quicker to reload modern handguns. Though I do remember reading a story, possibly here on Calguns, of two friends who were accosted by a couple of teenage muggers. One friend had a loaded black powder revolver with the first two chambers loaded only with powder. He pulled the BP revolver on the kids and shot off the blanks. He didn't need to shoot for real because the kids were off and running by then. Whatever works.
Old 11-09-2018, 9:26 AM

EMF's Great Western II single action revolvers are manufactured by FAP F.LLI Pietta. Our Great Western II (GWII) line is period correct with the floating firing pin in the hammer, not a transfer bar.

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc...olvers-c64.htm
Old 11-09-2018, 9:35 AM

Quote:
I met one older gentleman who carried a Colt 4 3/4" 45 LC. He carried it in a pancake type holster as his CCW. Nice guy. He told me he just knew point of aim-point of impact with his Colt SAA.
Old 11-09-2018, 9:37 AM
Veteran Member

Several years back, I got an old EMF/Armi San Marco "Hartford" model 7.5" in .45lc from River City Gun Exchange in Sac. They seem to get used SAA clones in all the time in the $300-$400 range.

I also got a Ruger Vaquero stainless 4.62" in .45. It has the transfer bar mechanism. I like having the transfer bar safety as I can load all 6 chambers safely.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.

Last edited by lightcav; 11-09-2018 at 9:47 AM..
Old 11-09-2018, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmnc3r View Post
EMF's Great Western II single action revolvers are manufactured by FAP F.LLI Pietta. Our Great Western II (GWII) line is period correct with the floating firing pin in the hammer, not a transfer bar.

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc...olvers-c64.htm
Thanks for the link. That is looking like a good option, really liking the Liberty model. It appears EMF is the only one still making the traditional 4 click action. The Smoke Wagon switched to the 3 click this year as well. I figured if I couldn't find a 4 click, I'd get a Vaquero as well, but I'm hoping for as close to an exact clone of a colt as I can. Anyone know how the color case hardening is on Pietta's guns?

Last edited by Python6357; 11-09-2018 at 3:46 PM..