Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 11-05-2018, 8:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default What do you think of recoil reducing stocks?

I was thinking about getting a new stock for my Howa instead of the Hogue. I was looking at the recoil reducing stocks since I see a chiropractor for my neck and upper back. I can still shoot it fine, just wondering about the future (I'm 58). What do you think of these stocks?

I'm also looking at B&C stocks, stocky stocks, etc.
Old 11-05-2018, 9:09 PM
Veteran Member

Reducing recoil makes a firearm a lot more enjoyable to shoot, and therefore you will be more comfortable, accurate, and proficient with it.

I say go for it.
Old 11-06-2018, 3:39 AM
Veteran Member

You can get a mercury recoil reducer, limbsaver, and a PAST shoulder pad. Could also try a good brake, or switch cartridges to a 223 or 243.
Old 11-06-2018, 6:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What caliber are you shooting?
Link to the stock your looking at ?

Get a new chassis rifle. You can change the buttstock to your comfort.
6.5 creedmoor. 123grain. You should ok.
Old 11-06-2018, 6:53 PM
Veteran Member

I have a recoil reducing stock on my 870 shotgun---it has a system of springs and levers built inside---can't remember the brand name, but it's from 15+ years ago. The buttstock recoils and rides over the front of the buttstock---works quite well at reducing kick---that combined with low-recoil 12 ga ammo...
My other 870 has a mercury recoil reducer in the wood stock plus a Limbsaver recoil pad and I also use low-recoil 12 ga ammo---this works well at reducing kick.
Bolt rifles are different---I don't know much in the way of recoil reducing stocks for them, but a mercury recoil reducer and a Limbsaver should help. Adding weight would also help---many years ago, I saw a bolt rifle with a slot cut into the inside of the wood forend and a strip of lead wheelweights set inside and glued in place. You could not see this modification from the outside...
Old 11-06-2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseV8 View Post
You can get a mercury recoil reducer, limbsaver, and a PAST shoulder pad. Could also try a good brake, or switch cartridges to a 223 or 243.
My wife uses a slip on pad on her GI stocked M1A with the metal butt plate. Works really well for her. With that and the brake, she can handle the M1A with stout reloads.

I usually just wear my creedmoor shooting coat when shooting full power rifles with metal butt plates from the prone position. Even helps with the AR because itís rubberized and helps keep the butt plate in place.
Old 11-06-2018, 7:48 PM

A recoil pad and either a pad for your shoulder or a sweatshirt or a jacket with a bit of padding will do wonders for reducing kick.

Sure, you can get a fancier stock but I'd suggest trying less expensive alternatives before you drop some money on a fancy stock unless of course the amount of money in question is no object.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:38 PM

I just did some googling and the only example of a recoil-reducing stock I could find for a Howa Action was the Knoxx Axiom I am guessing owned by Blackhawk or just sold by them? I found a few videos but the majority of them were OLD. This one was newish.

Judging subjectively from watching this guy shooting 30-06, it doesn't look to me like its very effective. Only $180 at opticsplanet so I guess it wouldn't break the bank to sate your curiosity.

I also saw some references to something called a Mercury Recoil Reducer but I could find no pictures of what it looks like installed or what type of stock they fit into.

IMHO the axiom stock looks sooooo chintzy. If it was my build I would say get a rigid chassis system and just throw on an extra limbsaver buttpad (in previous experience one of those limbsavers helped make .308 a LOT softer to shoot and it was a very cheap solution) and just let your shoulder suffer. If the limbsaver isn't enough, add a muzzle brake. If that's still too much, step down to a different cartridge.

Last edited by mafbloggerdanny; 11-06-2018 at 10:44 PM..
Old 11-06-2018, 11:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafbloggerdanny View Post
If it was my build I would say get a rigid chassis system and just throw on an extra limbsaver buttpad (in previous experience one of those limbsavers helped make .308 a LOT softer to shoot and it was a very cheap solution) and just let your shoulder suffer. If the limbsaver isn't enough, add a muzzle brake. If that's still too much, step down to a different cartridge.
That's my thinking too.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:23 AM

Another example of more than one way to skin a cat. I have a PAST pad I use with shotguns. With rifles I use an EVOSHIELD shirt. It works exceptionally well at reducing felt recoil.

There are a number of recoil reducing stocks that are very effective:
Bumpbuster
Gracoil
Isis
Old 11-07-2018, 4:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you're shooting off the bench the PAST pads work well. Besides adding more padding, they spread the recoil over a larger area which reduces the felt recoil.

I do not respect the privacy of uninvited "Private Messages" and will make such communications public if I so desire.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 11-07-2018, 8:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Off the bench, there's also the Lead Sled.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Off the bench, there's also the Lead Sled.

Yikes- Why buy a rifle you canít shoot? Then more stuff that doesnít make it any better? Leads sleds are hell on a rifle and has zero practical field use. More importantly, they generally crate and offset zero from the real shooter

Unlike the video, there is also proper technique. When the hips are square, feet square with shoulders forward of the hips and square, things donít look so foobar... Although turned like that we get a better look at his hand gun

Before buying anything I certainly would try to get the fundamentals correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.

Last edited by diver160651; 11-07-2018 at 11:54 PM..
Old 11-08-2018, 12:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blackhawk-A...item2ab8d10b9b
Old 11-08-2018, 9:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver160651 View Post
Yikes- Why buy a rifle you canít shoot? Then more stuff that doesnít make it any better? Leads sleds are hell on a rifle and has zero practical field use. More importantly, they generally crate and offset zero from the real shooter

Unlike the video, there is also proper technique. When the hips are square, feet square with shoulders forward of the hips and square, things donít look so foobar... Although turned like that we get a better look at his hand gun

Before buying anything I certainly would try to get the fundamentals correct

They guy has a back injury. You ever have a back injury? I have. Bad enough to cause trouble using any of my limbs beyond lifting a cheeseburger, much less a rifle.
Old 11-08-2018, 9:39 AM

Interesting discussion. I too am struggling with recoil sensitivity. An injury further complicates the situation so i only shoot very low recoiling calibers.

Perhaps i've been positioning my body similar to that seen in the posted video?

I'll have to try to better square my shoulders, hips and feet/legs. thanks
Old 11-08-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
They guy has a back injury. You ever have a back injury? I have. Bad enough to cause trouble using any of my limbs beyond lifting a cheeseburger, much less a rifle.

Sig-

I was commenting on poor fundamentals of the shooter in the video. Adding a lead sled was is not the answer..

Now, for someone recoil sensitive the answer is getting a system that is not punishing; injury or not, use form that lets the body mass work, rather than the muscles.

At the end of the day the video is an example of what not to doó

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.

Last edited by diver160651; 11-10-2018 at 6:06 AM..
Old 11-08-2018, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Recoil pads and muzzle brakes only change the felt recoil. They don't do anything to aid in proper recoil managment. They do help your shoulder and back though, as I've ran both. Sometimes people will keep a poorly designed stock (like the OP's Houge) because it fits a better purpose, say like lighter weight for hunting or you can't modify the stock to stay in original form for a class of competition. In those cases a pad or brake is a big help.

But the best thing I ever did was buy a stock/chassis that was adjustable so I could set it up to fit me. Being in proper position not only makes it easier to manage recoil, it also will shrink your groups and make you a better shooter. Yes a well designed stock will help you OP. My suggestion, if you can, is try someone else's gun with a proper stock/chassis. For most people the difference is night and day.

Last edited by NorCalFocus; 11-08-2018 at 11:15 AM..
Old 11-08-2018, 11:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If not a hunting gun
&
If not a home / personal defense gun

I prefer brakes to spring stocks.

On a shotgun you can get a machinist to port the barrel

For bench guns, I would also add weight, not recoil stocks

ďScience is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.Ē
ó Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 11-08-2018, 12:43 PM

Default Knoxx

I have used a Knoxx/Blackhawk recoil reduction stock on my Mossberg 590 that I think is great. I ran a variety of other units on the gun before settling on this system. Definitely toned down the bruising I used to have after a training day running the scatter gun hard for 8 hours.
Old 11-08-2018, 2:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
If not a hunting gun
&
If not a home / personal defense gun

I prefer brakes to spring stocks.

On a shotgun you can get a machinist to port the barrel

For bench guns, I would also add weight, not recoil stocks
Do those ports work? The Mossberg that I bought awhile back has them, but I've never shot a shotgun that has them.
Old 11-09-2018, 6:24 PM

Ported shotguns direct gas upward. Iíve had many barrels sent to AnglePort for this service along with lengthening the forcing cone. The two services combined will net a lil less felt recoil and a lil less muzzle jump (not worth it).

I shoot a Krieghoff K80 for comps, it weighs 11.2 pounds and Iím also running a PFS stock. The barrels are not ported!

Recoil management in the shotgun sports really comes down to:
Gun fit
loads
And stance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FF084D8E-7087-4E83-BCFE-D34A3761FC5E.jpg (20.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Shootin25; 11-09-2018 at 6:26 PM..
Old 11-09-2018, 7:22 PM
Calguns Addict

And muzzle brakes.

Old 11-09-2018, 7:43 PM

I have one of these Gracoils's on my trap shooting shotgun. Works very well for reducing felt recoil. The link is for there rifle model.

https://graco-corp.com/product/gc15r-gracoil/

Last edited by Ahansom; 11-09-2018 at 9:09 PM..
Old 11-09-2018, 8:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Weight really helps alot but as you had surgery start out with 3 pounds and see how well it works.
They make what is called a tuner brake that tunes the barrel and has an integral muzzlebrake built into it.
The advantage over a standard muzzlebrake is more weight.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 11-10-2018, 5:12 AM

I’m gonna agree with LynnJr. Add weight.

I have a Stockys LRC that has had weights bedded fore and aft. I used it last year on a 6.5 build and it worked out for my needs. I too am recoil averse (bad neck, and a lifetime of construction). End weight for that build was just under 20lbs. A good brake and weight goes a long way.