Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 11-07-2018, 11:12 AM

Default Thinking of buying an air pistol for training

I don't know much about BB guns or pellet guns. I have heard that some of these guns have the same shape and weight as real firearms and are sometimes used as training tools. I have heard that some of them feature blowback action that moves the slide so that you can practice getting your pistol sights back on target, though I'm sure there isn't much actual recoil like a 9mm pistol.

Are these types of pistols of any value for pistol training? Sometimes I can't get out to the local range but I have a fenced in backyard I could practice in. Also, the local range only permits steel and paper targets, but I imagine I could shoot empty soda cans and such with a pellet or BB pistol. Are there BB or pellet pistols patterned after the CZ 75 and/or the Sig Sauer compact handguns? For this type of use, should I be looking at a BB gun or a pellet gun? These use CO2 cartridges, right?

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Old 11-07-2018, 11:36 AM

The blow back ones use CO2 cartridges. My son has a few different ones. Some of them have been less than reliable. The one that's been completely reliable is a 1911 blowback (bought at Walmart when they had them).

You can certainly practice your fundamentals with them, but you're right even the blowbacks don't recoil as much as a real gun. They are really cool though.

The CO2 ones aren't quiet, so hopefully you don't have any ratbag neighbors who will call the cops on you.

Amazon won't ship them to California. Go to your local Big5 or Walmart. Also you can try Evike.

Also, get yourself a trap

https://www.amazon.com/UTG-TL-TG001-...ds=bb+gun+trap

So far it's held up to all of my son's pellet pistols and rifles. YMMV. They do give a good "thwap" when a bb hits them.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:35 AM

I have a classic German Feinwerkbau Model 65 .177 target pistol in excellent condition with case, pellets, targets etc. that I don't use (senior and live in a condo). Only shot about 50 pellets since serviced and checked by Pyramid Air. Thinking about selling it for $650.00. They are hard to find and you can research it if interested.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:25 PM

I've used a CO2 blowback PPK clone. It's not a training replica. But it can be used for training just the same. Mine shoots high and left -- not the best for accurate shooting by any stretch. But it shoots close enough for "rapid fire" drills, such as drawing/shooting from concealment, shooting from retention, multiple shots on target, etc. If you're doing drills for situations just out of arm's reach (pretty much anything defensive), it's just fine. Picked it up on Amazon and they delivered to my door.

For slow, aimed fire, I've got an Umarex Trevox (single shot). The trigger is long and heavy -- perfect for me since one of my primary carry weapons is a Kahr. I learned years ago that bad triggers on training weapons make for better shooting on "live" weapons.

For a pellet trap, I now use a length of rolled carpet remnant that I stuffed into a wood box. It's much quieter on impact and easily stops even my .22 PCP rifle.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:26 AM

Check www.evike.com
My old GBB pistol reviews:

You're in luck because airsoft GBB pistols (Gas Blow-Back) come a wide selection of popular pistol makes/models, which is why they are a practical option for home training. As they are designed to be nearly 100% clones of the real pistols and magazines so they should fit into your real holsters and pouches without modification.

The best quality GBB guns are made by KWA and Umarex. WE makes the broadest range of guns and I've own several, but sometimes I've heard of people getting lemons, so be sure you buy from a seller that has a good return/exchange policy. That said, I've owned about a dozen different GBB guns over the last 10 years and none of them have caused me problems, other than the magazine's inner seals leaking over time. Be prepared to buy replacements (about $10-$15ea) from time to time.

Blowback gas pistols include Green Gas (aka non-stinky Propane in special cans) as well as CO2 cartridges. Green Gas guns are more numerous and provide a wider selection of gun styles. Both types are nearly 100% clones of real pistols in terms of weight and shape. CO2 guns may be restricted at indoor airsoft fields because they fire at a higher FPS than Green Gas.

Inventor of Moodog D-Fog for eyepro :: Founder of NYCAirsoft :: NRA Life Member

Last edited by MoondogIndustries; 11-15-2018 at 2:05 PM..
Old 11-14-2018, 1:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Interested in seeing what people recommend and the comments here.

All I have are some Crosman's. I have a couple of those .357's - new and old styles. Also an Auto Air II - if you can master that trigger, you can control anything (Stacking heavy monstrosity). I used to like the idea of shooting really bad triggers on airguns to help with real guns. Have not done it in a long time. Maybe I will break out the CO2 cylinders.