Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 12-26-2019, 9:12 AM

Default Anyone else make their own fishing lures?

A friend of mine recently purchased some property complete with an eight acre bass pond.
Several of us (6) went up over Labor Day and did a catch and release one day tournament, the winner was an 18-1/4" LMB. I myself caught twenty-six fish ranging from 12" to 16" using store bought poppers. The big LMB of the trip came in at 21" I didn't catch it but I did measure it.
So since that trip I've been making my own poppers twenty-three in all using 3/4" and 1" dowels spun down on a grinding wheel aka the poor man's lathe.
The hook and swivel eyelets are made from ss hot fence wire wrapped around a small drill bit in the vise and twisted for about one inch and anchored into each lure with JB Weld.
I also inserted a piece of a nail in the aft portion of the body to give it just enough weight to drop the angle of the lure in the water as in a resting frog.
Before setting the eyelets, each lure is spray painted solid then the individual theme painting is done with a small brush and Testors paint. Some of the first poppers that I made look more like small pinatas on steroids but you have to start somewhere-the good thing is they can be repainted at any time.
The hula streamers are attached to cut pieces of HDG casing nails, the heads are similar to a finish nail but with more of a flare to hold them in place.
Fast forward to a last weekend when I made a trip back up to the pond for an actual fishing test. I was told that the bass are in a sort of semi hibernation and resting on the bottom so my poppers would be ineffective. Turned out they were so ineffective that I caught three nice LMB 12"/14" in one hour of fishing! I would have fished longer but it rained most of the day.
It's a pretty neat feeling to catch fish on a lure of your own making.
photo1 are hula poppers
photo2 are broken back poppers
photo3 are plain poppers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3748.jpg (94.3 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3742.jpg (90.7 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3739.jpg (93.5 KB, 237 views)
Old 12-26-2019, 10:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Nice poppers. However when fishing on personal property we us barbless hooks. Makes the summertime swimming hole much safer for people and pets.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:33 AM

Pretty cool. I'd throw those at yellowfin.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Bass on a surface lure is pure source.

There are hula poppers and there is everything else.

https://archive.org/details/JohnRoss...edConsequences

i was born under a wandrin star
Old 12-26-2019, 12:09 PM

Made some jigs out of butter knives from the thrift stores
Originally Posted by Rusty_Buckhorn View Post
WTF are "illegal nationals"? Being that they aren't from here, wouldn't that make them "illegal internationals"?
We're not supposed to judge all Muslims by the acts of a few "crazies".
But the acts of a few American "crazies" is enough to judge all Americans who own guns.
Old 12-26-2019, 1:12 PM
Veteran Member

Making your own lures is very cool, but not as cool as actually catching fish on your own hand made lures!

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 12-26-2019, 11:14 PM
Calguns Addict

The closest I've come is tying flies. It's a lot like reloading ammo, because buying flies is expensive. As a poor teenager, I learned how to tie them pretty quick.

My dad used to carve plugs similar to those for ocean fishing, like 6 to 8 inches long.
Old 12-27-2019, 9:34 AM

You are making some nice poppers. Before long you will be looking for a small lathe and an airbrush.

I started out tying flies when I was a teenager. Made a few fly rod poppers too. I don't do it as often as I used to. But, I recently tied about 4 dozen salmon flies for a buddy who was headed to Alaska this summer. It was fun to hear him tell stories about the fish he caught on those flies.

Making anything with your hands is a good hobby. It is rewarding to see the finished product and even more rewarding to see it actually work as designed.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:34 AM

As a kid, I used to make Super Dupers out of stainless steel strips my dad would bring home from work. Using tin snips, nail polish, needle nose pliers, a drill and treble hooks, I made some decent looking lures.
Old 12-27-2019, 5:09 PM

That's a really nice start to a life long hobby.
I like how you used hoochie/squid bodies for skirts.
try doing different nose shapes to get the noise and swimming action the fish respond to.
Enjoy the rewards of your labors and out fish your buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
Rifles are like women, they can be finicky or they will bang anything that looks at it twice.
Quote:
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it
Old 12-27-2019, 5:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Nice work OP

Old 12-28-2019, 7:36 AM
Veteran Member

Do you hand carve them, how do you make the recess for the head end?
Nice work.

Old 12-28-2019, 8:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Red face

I prefer to go to BassPro, and spend money I don't have, on lures that don't work.

That's some damn nice handiwork, however!
Old 12-28-2019, 9:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
Do you hand carve them, how do you make the recess for the head end?
Nice work.
I use a bench grinder for all of the shapes, then a couple of different diameters of rat tail files to finish up. I purposely don't sand them to a fine slick Yo-Yo surface like you see on store bought poppers-the live real critters they represent aren't shiney smooth either.
The wedge shaped heads are simply produced on the surface and edge of the grinding wheel. Several other heads are made by using a large drill for a rounded hollow effect. Must be careful though as too deep of any head cut makes it tougher to connect a snap swivel to the eyelet.
Thanks everyone for all of the nice comments.
Did anyone notice the plain unpainted wood dowel popper in the first photo? I'll cast it this spring and see if produces fish.

Last edited by nickel plate; 12-28-2019 at 9:11 AM..
Old 12-28-2019, 11:26 PM

I've made a few knock off Kastmasters and ugly looking flies. I enjoy making my own fishing rods.
Old 12-29-2019, 3:16 PM
Veteran Member

Here's mine

Old 12-29-2019, 3:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The best trout lure I ever used was handmade in Alaska by tribal person in Soldotna. I was a small aluminum and handpainted to look like small doly varden smolt. I used it in a tournament in 2011 on gull lake and my 5 fish limit was 19 lbs. I let my buddy use it and he promptly lost it. I have been back to Alaska 6 times since then and have nevr found the match r the guy that made it . He was selling lures at Centennial park in Soldotna. My best fish was an 8 lb 6 ounce rainbow and is hanging on the wall at gull lake marina concession with my name on it. I wish I had a pic of it.
Old 12-30-2019, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarikinaMan View Post
Here's mine

I really like the swimming action! Is it the three piece design that creates it? What material is the tail made out of?
Old 12-30-2019, 6:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I've always wanted to try that. I don't really fish a lot with poppers around my neck of the woods and there are Largemouth and Smallmouth but generally speaking they tend to go after worms and bottom glur's rather than tap water. I'm not sure why but it seems as though everything I've ever thrown on top water other than a frog has just been a big flop.
Old 03-23-2020, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
I've always wanted to try that. I don't really fish a lot with poppers around my neck of the woods and there are Largemouth and Smallmouth but generally speaking they tend to go after worms and bottom glur's rather than tap water. I'm not sure why but it seems as though everything I've ever thrown on top water other than a frog has just been a big flop.
All my frog poppers have embedded weights to mimic a frog at rest in the water. I get plenty of strikes and hookups when the popper is in the resting position, just have to be careful about too much slack line when doing this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3808floating frog.jpg (26.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 03-27-2020, 9:43 AM

I've tied flies, but I've really always wanted to make my own inline spinners. One day...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2020, 10:11 AM

I used to tie flies. Not anymore. My eyes aren't what they used to be.
Old 03-27-2020, 6:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofugly13 View Post
I've tied flies, but I've really always wanted to make my own inline spinners. One day...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I bought some steelhead lures off of a guy locally here in Idaho and they are SOOOO much better than the stuff you'd buy from any store bought product. NICE heavy chrome plated blades, they are a heavier weight for diving a bit deeper in the streams and rivers while under heavy current. I'll post up some pics if I can swing it.