Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 03-16-2020, 2:35 PM

My wife (Japanese) FINALLY got it last Wednesday evening when President Trump announced airflights to Europe were being terminated. So my fourth request for HER to stock up on Japanese food for the duration FINALLY sink in.... (Because a lot of it is canned.)

Of course, I don't leave my and my children's lives in the hands of those not wanting to plan. I started executing to a plan back in January...

Good thing the family likes spam....as in Spam Sushi..

Make sure you have dog food for your alarm units!
Old 03-16-2020, 2:41 PM

People are really going to wake up soon.
I am on another prep forum.... Well, bank runs have started....
And the Dow was off 3000 points today. Soon people to wake up.

The ONLY person I could discuss prepping with at work has a husband that is a gold dealer.
Old 03-16-2020, 5:38 PM
Calguns Addict

My wife didn’t bat an eye when I topped off all our supplies. She said she didn’t even give it a second thought. “You’re my husband, that’s your job”, was her answer.
Old 03-16-2020, 6:42 PM

My wife made the comment that we are well stocked I was even able to kick back my nephew a case of baby wipes for his newborn.
Old 03-16-2020, 7:05 PM
Veteran Member

Over the years, I've been stocking up slowly. And of course, something would happen and we would inevitably tap into the emergency stock and not replenish. Late last year though, I got back to restocking in earnest, but still lagging on a lot of things. Was tough to convince the wife to do the extra shopping over and above her regular grocery list. She grew up very poor and is always watching the pennies (I love my wife!). A few months ago, I went out and did quite a bit of extra shopping (way before the Flu Manchu broke out), but still short.

Now, wife has been doing a lot of the grunt work in getting more and more as I'm pretty much on home isolation (high risk group). She's making me proud!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 03-16-2020, 7:12 PM

I have a ton of TP (not a panic buy- I always keep a lot on stock in the garage in case some stupid crap like this happens), bottled water, non perishable food, and tools to protect us in case TSHTF. My wife hasn’t thanked, let-alone even acknowledged what I’ve done in an effort to keep her and our kids safe... She’s taken a very sharp turn to the left over the past 3-4 years. It’s very frustrating.....

Conservatives think liberals are people with bad ideas. Liberals think conservatives are bad people.
--- Dan Bongino
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
Some liberals are evil people out to control others. (Hillary, Pelosi, et.al.)
Many liberals are lemmings and will follow whomever espouses what they 'feel'.
Old 03-16-2020, 7:34 PM

My wife used to think I was crazy for prepping. After living through several wildfires she started to come around to my way of thinking. Now, she tries to get her friends to buy into the lifestyle; a lot of them are wishing they listened to her.
Old 03-16-2020, 7:35 PM
Veteran Member

Myself, I've kinda played it off, but here in Kali they're starting to go a little berserk. SF Bay shut down 6 counties, our local markets 60 miles away are getting hammered and are sparse for milk, eggs, tp & diapers. The hoarding has swung into effect. On my end I've prepped for defense/engagement mainly, some food. I've gotten to where I routinely stop at estate sales and clean out the pantry for dirt, but my spousal unit isn't on board at all. My son in Idaho says the National Guard is going to shut down the interstate, and is on his way back to Kali as we speak. Tomorrow I'm filling everything with fuel. It's a quiet panic versus zombie apocalypse. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798
Old 03-16-2020, 7:44 PM
Calguns Addict

My wife teased me about my prepping for years. Last week she mentioned they were out of face masks at her work (medical facility). I told her to go out to her car open the suitcase in her trunk and she would find 10 there and a box of gloves.

Now she is totally on board. In fact she stopped on her way home tonight and picked up two cases of Gentleman Jack disinfectant for me from BevMo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 03-16-2020, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
My wife teased me about my prepping for years. Last week she mentioned they were out of face masks at her work (medical facility). I told her to go out to her car open the suitcase in her trunk and she would find 10 there and a box of gloves.

Now she is totally on board. In fact she stopped on her way home tonight and picked up two cases of Gentleman Jack disinfectant for me from BevMo.
Mine has already been hoarding Jameson but glad yours finally gets it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2020, 7:57 PM

My wife has, in the past only shown minor interest in my prepping. I just do it and tell her what we have and where it is and she quietly acknowledges me. In the last few days she has said that she is glad we are prepared a few times.
Old 03-16-2020, 9:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Here in Washington, the governor requested all people over 60 to stay home.
Dear wife and I are as ready as we can be for this. Restaurants here are take out or delivery only as of Sunday.
I wonder what will be that thing I should have thought of before we went into this.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:01 PM

She's totally on board and actually did some of the buying in Feb before the hysteria hit. People always thought we were crazy because we were always semi prepared. The one case of water purchase per Costco trip over the last 12 months doesn't seem so stupid now. Since we have RO purification at home those cases are still mostly intact and don't anticipate depleting unless something happens with municipal water supply. Now that we have over 60 lbs of meats in a chest freezer, water and other supplies, we could be good for a long while. Maybe we need a generator but not much else. Of course the armory is stocked. That goes without saying.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:12 PM

The wife thought i was crazy for getting two cases of wipes...she asked me to return them.... Sure ....honey ....when I get the chance...LOL....
Old 03-16-2020, 10:13 PM

Some people will be clueless ALL their life....!
Old 03-17-2020, 2:40 PM

Wife is finally on board after she saw the shelves at every different grocery store we went to. We're good and are stocked up for a decent amount of time but I still picked up more just in case.

We binged watched Containment on Netflix over the weekend and she freaked out lol. Asked if we had our preps, security measures and wanted to add additional locks. Told her we're fine.

We're both in medical industry and we're crazy busy. She's from Canada and hates guns and thought I was crazy for always being stocked up but appreciates what we got now.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...=1#post7047942
Old 03-19-2020, 5:46 PM
Veteran Member

Mine used to asked me why I “collected” so many items and why we have so much bottled water. And why are you buying all those MRE’s and why did you take self defense classes and why are you working out so much, and the kicker...why are you spending so much time at the range and staying in the garage for hours reloading? Now she knows....

Law abiding firearm owners have no chance in this state.
Old 03-19-2020, 6:55 PM

Mine just let me "do my thing"
She was freaking out until I broke out all the supplies/food. Now she is like "go get more tequila"
Old 03-20-2020, 12:25 AM

Wife was not with prepping early on. Like, at all. Couldn't convince her to keep a bottle of water and a snack in her car. Didn't matter what I said about not knowing what might happen, how many situations it covered, etc. Then her work (medical) offered a healthcare version of CERT and she made her own go-bag, even gave me a few ideas. Wildfires then last few years only reinforced it -- we literally drove through the smoke at 4am on a newly-reopened freeway on our way to deliver my son. Now she just wants to make sure I'm stocking things she actually wants to eat, which is great.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:31 AM

The PG&E shutdowns help my wife understand the need. The way this has accelerated, she is onboard fully now. When I disappear for a couple of hours in the garage, she knows I am cleaning, oiling and organizing. So glad I am out of San Jose...
Old 03-20-2020, 4:21 PM

I grabbed a bunch of extra stuff about a week before the stores got wiped out. She was thinking it was crazy, and ridiculous at the time, but now she realizes why it was a good idea. Especially since my "prep boost" of extra supplies was stuff she likes to eat on a regular basis.

I think it will help her accept my prepping in the future, even if she is not fully on board. Because at least now she realizes that when these things happen, the stores really do get wiped out.
Old 03-20-2020, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1 View Post
. My son in Idaho says the National Guard is going to shut down the interstate, and is on his way back to Kali as we speak. PAX
I have heard the same thing about possible interstate shutdown, and it ain't just Idaho.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:03 AM

We recently moved back to the states from Korea because of the air pollution from China. Now this **** ...

Wife buys in bulk and had a close eye on what was happening in China. She bulk bought masks, meds, sanitizer, diapers, baby formula, etc. The only thing I bulk buy is ammo. I think she’s glad I got into guns late last year.

She also thinks this is probably just the start and **** like this will happen yearly. I think after this. We’ll take prepping a bit more seriously. I think I got an indirect go ahead for an AR-15.

And I definitely need to get CCW

Last edited by Nis14; 03-21-2020 at 12:08 AM..
Old 03-24-2020, 10:20 PM

Hell yeah, I'm the hero now.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2020, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

My wife is 100%.

I was playing it cool for a bit. As this whole mess was freaking her out weeks ago. I didn’t want to also act like this was worrying me because she is pregnant.

I have some family members on her side. That were like it’s not a big deal. Made fun of us always prepping. But It’s seem to hit them hard today that this is real. They freaked out hit up some stores n now are looking into buying a gun. They even called up my wife seeing if we had some extra stuff to give. We have so I will Share. But I let them this is there wake up call.

Because all we need now is a big ****ing quake to hit in this mess n it’s going to be a mad house in Ca
Old 03-25-2020, 2:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisDSA View Post
...Because all we need now is a big ****ing quake to hit in this mess n it’s going to be a mad house in Ca
When this started with TP, at work I mentioned people should have emergency food for "Earthquake emergencies, just in case", especially if they have kids...
and the ladies that talked about maybe they should get a gun, I mentioned that there is a 10-day wait...

Last edited by the86d; 03-25-2020 at 2:34 AM..
Old 03-25-2020, 8:40 AM
Veteran Member

I've been gently moving my wife in the right direction since we met.

When we met, I was the "crazy gun nut" who literally had guns strewn around openly in his apartment.

She wasn't anti-gun, but definitely thought I was very weird.

Today, she has several of her own guns.

Since we've had our daughter, my prepper / dad instincts have really kicked in & I've doubled down on prepping - right in time for all this COVID hysteria.

Over the past year or so, when I've gone to the store, I simply double or triple my wife's list; if she asks for 1 can of tomatoes / beans / whatever, I'll buy 3. More if they're on sale.

If I see stuff that I know we regularly eat like canned tuna, pasta, beans, etc. are on a good sale, I'll get multiples.

The store we shop at regularly does big bags of pasta 5 for $5, so I'll get 10 bags.

On numerous occasions, my wife has taken advantage of & enjoyed the ability to reach into the pantry or freezer & have plenty of stuff to make a beautiful meal, when she otherwise wouldn't have had time to go to the store.

So, yes; I've been slowly bringing her to our side.

She thinks I've gone a bit overboard with what I've been buying the past few weeks since this really hit the fan, but her attitude is "if it makes you feel better, it makes me feel better."

I also emphasize that I'm only buying stuff we regularly eat or enjoy eating on occasion.

I'm not buying weird stuff that would only be appetizing at the end of the world.

Old 03-29-2020, 6:54 PM

Today my wife asked me how I knew this would happen, talking about my preps. She has been giving me a hard time about it for the last 10+ years. Guess who was right. We were comfortably prepared, but I will be increasing the amount of food and water I stock after this validation.
Old 03-29-2020, 8:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionerd View Post
Hell yeah, I'm the hero now.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk
It’s been nice. I hear her feeling bad for her friends since their husbands weren’t prepared. I’m the man, lol.
Old 03-29-2020, 9:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Just went through the last bin and removed the expired product, like 2010-2016 expired... Everything in that bin was way-expired, everything.

>$100 worth of canned goods, unusable (by my standards), but if this happened in the past we were ready!

It happened this time, and we were WAY ready.

Zombies can't even buy rice to feed their kids.
They can't get guns, OR ammo.

Good thing it wasn't the real deal, or they would suffer, and suffer sight-alignment, and sight picture if they broke in...

I really only started after I had kids, and watching Doomsday Preppers was a GREAT thought-provoking mental exercise.

We were way more ready than scumbag Democrats that were panicking for WEEKS!

Even more lucky, I have been stacking even more canned goods since Dec 2019, just in case, and guess what? Guess what day it is... the day to not worry for a long time.

I hope people with kids that are drinking formula were stocked... ... ...

Last edited by the86d; 03-30-2020 at 3:52 AM..
Old 03-30-2020, 8:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Wife asks "You bought these masks in case something like this happens?". She used give me the sideways glance when I'd buy extra stuff. The masks weren't even a regular buy, just something that I socked away, just in case. She's on board now. We even talked about getting a 2nd fridge.

I've tried to get my special needs kid to try other things if his usual is not available. I am both proud and happy that in the last 3 months he's tried and end up liking 2 new things. One was even a vegetable! That take a load off me preps wise.

Even if the pandemic ends this s**t is not finished yet. It's going to take a long, long time to get back to anywhere near where we were before.

Old 04-01-2020, 1:45 AM

F@$$ing wife still thinks I am over stocking stuff ..... keeps believing the puppet heads that it soon will be over....

Also refusing to wear her DAMN mask when going into stores ... and forget about her wearing gloves
....she says people might think she is sick...

I Keep reminding her that it will be a LONELY DEATH on the vent!

Kind of getting tired of this MANURE from this BEOTCH....
Old 04-01-2020, 5:16 AM

Wife used to give me crap every once in awhile. My big concern has always been earthquakes being in SoCal. One of the brush fires a few years ago that was nearly in our backyard brought her around a little more to realize I had our family's safety secured. This most recent event has brought her around even more. I even got her to buy into the notion of needing a G19. Didn't really need it..but I told her it wouldn't hurt to have an extra 9mm in with our "supplies" and the price was a really good deal.
A few weeks ago she was concerned with N95 masks. I showed her that each bag in each vehicle had a few. And the boxes in the garage. "Good job babe."
She asked about some other things the other day. Can't remember what it was. Showed her where they're at and that we had plenty. "Good job babe."
She's more on board now than ever.
Old 04-04-2020, 8:23 PM

my wife used to get mad at my preps. why the freeze dried foods or MREs etc etc. Flash forward Now she says i never made fun of you for that stuff. Flash forward again. saw an FB post from her telling her group. We are good for a couple of months with freeze dried food and MREs if it comes to that
Old 04-04-2020, 9:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by busta00 View Post
my wife used to get mad at my preps. why the freeze dried foods or MREs etc etc. Flash forward Now she says i never made fun of you for that stuff. Flash forward again. saw an FB post from her telling her group. We are good for a couple of months with freeze dried food and MREs if it comes to that
Does this group know where you live, and that you stack ammo, too?
Old 04-04-2020, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf & Turf View Post
F@$$ing wife still thinks I am over stocking stuff ..... keeps believing the puppet heads that it soon will be over....

Also refusing to wear her DAMN mask when going into stores ... and forget about her wearing gloves
....she says people might think she is sick...

I Keep reminding her that it will be a LONELY DEATH on the vent!

Kind of getting tired of this MANURE from this BEOTCH....

Sit her down and make her sit thru this.

https://youtu.be/4J0d59dd-qM

Pretty sobering.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 04-05-2020, 7:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Sit her down and make her sit thru this.

https://youtu.be/4J0d59dd-qM

Pretty sobering.

Agree.

Check out other recent videos by that doc - his professional opinions as a doctor are pretty eye-opening.
Old 04-05-2020, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrjonesUSA View Post
Agree.

Check out other recent videos by that doc - his professional opinions as a doctor are pretty eye-opening.

...and don’t forget that he is “a world famous surgeon”. This is only an advertising stunt
Old 04-05-2020, 8:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schpier View Post
...and don’t forget that he is “a world famous surgeon”. This is only an advertising stunt

Who do you take your advice from?

Internet randos?
Old 04-05-2020, 4:11 PM

@86. Some of them know where we live and yes they all know i stack ammo