Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 03-29-2020, 12:09 PM

I have tried both, and if you're wary of the P22 CA and on a lower budget, I have been very very happy with the HP22 Phoenix Arms. Before anyone crying, the safety mods work well to operate "correctly" and it's a trainer, not a target unit. Easy to rack, etc. It's recommended to stick with standard velocity, but lots of guys report running HV anyways. For the price, you'll get your money's worth IMHO. And that's recommended partly of course because of our stupid roster restrictions. Ya recommending something off roster is nice, but for the average guy it's like recommending Pam Anderson in her prime for a prom date. Not gonna happen.
Old 03-29-2020, 2:17 PM
Veteran Member

I owned a P22 for a number of years, never had an issue as far as reliability. I only ran CCI mini mags and Remington golden bullet in it and it was 100% reliable.

As far as the gun for wife thing goes, Iíve been playing this game for years and I personally just realized my wife will never put in the hours or develop enough drive to become proficient on a platform. I got her a 3Ē .22 Ruger lcrx as if it fails to fire thereís no tap rack roll, just fire again.

I donít want to get flamed but I still think the classic short sxs coach gun is about perfect for significant other who doesnít want to train. When I post this I get hate and joe Biden memes but itís simple and if you can teach your wife to find a choke point and hold it theyíll be good to go.
Old 03-29-2020, 6:07 PM

My P22 is basically a paperweight. If its not perfectly clean and shooting mini mags it doesnt work. The trigger ears are eating into the slide...etc etc. It is a 2011 era model. I bought a browning 1911 .22 and it has had zero issues.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:07 PM

While the Ruger SR22 is worth it if you can find one, and it eats whatever it's fed...

The Phoenix HP22 is a lot of cheap fun, the mods are easy to do to make it a bit more "normal", and overall, it's definitely not bad for the price of admission (even though the current DROS "tax" is a good portion of what you spend!). Not sure I'd run HV ammo through it, though it may have happened once or twice... I've added HP25 "uppers" (barrel and slide) + .25acp mags to mine for a little added versatility.

I've heard of some people having issues with the Phoenix, but honestly, aside from a stovepipe from time to time (probably slop while rapid firing), mine go bang and cycle very reliably. It took a lot of work to get the same in the P22.
Old 03-30-2020, 5:23 AM

I like the P22 and have two of them, one very old (for a P22) and one is new. I have some fail to feed sometimes, but no other issues. It is my go to for fun range time.
Old 03-30-2020, 5:45 AM
Veteran Member

Just pay the $550 bucks for the SR22 and never look back. Thatís coming from somebody who HATES Ruger.
Old 03-31-2020, 6:48 AM

Default Sanity Check: P22

ruger mark series speedstrip kits by majestic arms for $80 really do work, making the 1-3 series easy to fieldstrip, clean and own. i gave my gunsmith $20 to install it. ended up replacing, with a sr22, my otherwise nice, rettig sourced, used mark3 with the majestic upgrade because the latter was too heavy for my needs.

ruger wrangler checks all the boxes: easist racking slide ever, there is none. under $200. eats absolutely any 22lr ammo, plus even 22shorts, itís a single action revolver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2020, 9:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saber View Post
My GSG 1911 is one of my favorite pistols to shoot. The slide is super easy to rack. My 12 year old
Daughter and her friends have no trouble shooting it.
My wife loves mine. Easiest .22LR pistol to shoot and load. I feed mine 38 grain Armscore HV hollow point at 3 cpr.
Old 04-02-2020, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB> View Post
While the Ruger SR22 is worth it if you can find one, and it eats whatever it's fed...

The Phoenix HP22 is a lot of cheap fun, the mods are easy to do to make it a bit more "normal", and overall, it's definitely not bad for the price of admission (even though the current DROS "tax" is a good portion of what you spend!). Not sure I'd run HV ammo through it, though it may have happened once or twice... I've added HP25 "uppers" (barrel and slide) + .25acp mags to mine for a little added versatility.

I've heard of some people having issues with the Phoenix, but honestly, aside from a stovepipe from time to time (probably slop while rapid firing), mine go bang and cycle very reliably. It took a lot of work to get the same in the P22.
I was always curious if you could swap these. I wasn't sure about the extractor being compatible or not, etc.
Old 04-02-2020, 9:46 PM

The frame calls out both models (HP22, HP25) under the grip, parts lists on the lower are the same, factory says there are differences, I can't find 'em...

Slide and barrel swap just like you filed strip, sometimes there might be a little fitting, The ones I have ranged from "drop in" to needing a bit of smithing. Mags are caliber specific, feed ramp needs polishing to feed reliably. I picked up used parts just to try it, picked up a couple of sets after I found it worked... Used can have issues - wear, the breech insert can come loose (just held by peened in metal from the slide), and the firing pin safety getting weak. I'm still happy with the results with some patience!
Old 04-08-2020, 5:10 PM

Thanks DB! I need to find some parts
Old 04-16-2020, 2:21 AM

The P22CA is very easy to shoot. I had a P22CA and it ate ammo just fine but the rear sight is plastic, not user replaceable, gets loose and wobbly (google it) then there is nothing close to accuracy possible. Mine wasn't the little fore aft wobbly problem. It was big time fore aft wobbly with left right added in. Sending it back for repairs doesn't seem to produce a lasting fix for those with the problem. I could of JB welded it in place but I got rid of it for cheap and let the buyer know the know up front what the issue was. Too bad because it was so much fun.

Never had an HP22 but they look interesting. Smallish sights though.

I have a 5 1/2" barrel Browning Buckmark with a red dot that is also very easy to shoot. But it is more of a target style pistol... kinda large. I was thinking of getting a 4" barrel Buckmark which is smaller but still not pocket size. It probably would be more accurate than P22 or SR22 style guns.

The 22LR revolvers I have are nothing but fun. Especially the two smallest ones. The 3" S&W 63 with a red dot and a 2" S&W 43C are just pure smile makers. With an ammo block and a Speed Beez loader burning through hundreds of rounds at the range is quicker and easier than my semi autos if you include the time to load the magazines. Both are small but somehow you can still ring steel plates like crazy. My eyes don't work as good as they used to. Without the red dot, the 63 was good. With the red dot, the 63 is like cheating and it was my favorite because it had it all... small AND you could hit anything. But then I got the 43C. It is smaller, weighs nothing, and somehow the BIG white dot front sight just works with my old eyes. It is now my new favorite.

Last edited by pinger; 04-16-2020 at 2:58 AM..
Old 04-16-2020, 7:20 PM
Veteran Member

Have a early p22. Super reliable with all ammo.
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 04-18-2020, 9:55 PM

How about a nice wheel-gun instead. MUCH easier to learn with and no slide to be intimidated with.
Jon
Old 04-22-2020, 8:32 AM

be sure to review the sanity clause