Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berton View Post
Money was exchanged it went through on my card. In hindsight probably wasn’t the right idea. That’s why I posted my situation here to begin with to get the insight of more experienced buyers. I definitely should have gotten more information before paying and maybe should have just put a deposit down until it was in stock. They told me they would charge a 25% fee for any canceled orders. So I think what I’m going to do is shop around for a 22 like a couple of you guys have recommended and just wait for the Glock to show up one day. It’s already payed for and as to Fowler’s going out of business, they were sold out of everything like every other gun store so I think they will be open at least another month or so. If not that was a very expensive mistake that I will have definitely learned from.
The Wuhan crisis for Fowler’s is what will keep them in business because they sold loads of firearms that otherwise would’ve never left the store because they were so ludicrously priced. They sold guns that were sitting there since at least 2012 with Sandy Hook. Despite my acrimony, I say good for them. A gun store is a gun store nowadays.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:16 PM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Money was exchanged it went through on my card. In hindsight probably wasn’t the right idea. That’s why I posted my situation here to begin with to get the insight of more experienced buyers. I definitely should have gotten more information before paying and maybe should have just put a deposit down until it was in stock. They told me they would charge a 25% fee for any canceled orders. So I think what I’m going to do is shop around for a 22 like a couple of you guys have recommended and just wait for the Glock to show up one day. It’s already payed for and as to Fowler’s going out of business, they were sold out of everything like every other gun store so I think they will be open at least another month or so. If not that was a very expensive mistake that I will have definitely learned from.
You'll be fine. The mistake wasn't that expensive. Non sale price for a G17 is about $525 so $25 is not much at all. Gun guys have wasted so much more than 25 bucks.

Feel free to start a thread on what 22 to get. That's a whole new world out there for 22. Semi-auto pistol, revolvers, rifles.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:58 PM

Yea, I would not worry about it as well at this point and it's no biggie. The ammo should be the bigger factor.

Don't over think ammo as well, just get the lowest per round cost.
Full metal jacket (FMJ) at 115 grain (grain is bullet weight) is good for the range. Should be about 20 cents per round, more or less a nickel up and down. Get brass for now (not steel).
Jacketed hollow point (JHP) for self defense. You are going to research the best, and will just go in circles. Just buy anything from a major brand. Price is much more than FMJ of course.

As far as .22, don't overlook a rifle: Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 795 are a couple top contenders for a 1st rifle.

On the .22 pistols, what's really left for California. Just get the longest barrel Buckmark (5.5 or 7.25 barrel length). Buckmark will probably give you the least grief as far as running all sorts of ammo. S&W Model 41, it's like twice the price of a Buckmark. Tough to find a bad review on the 41 (just the price). Other than those, I personally can't really highly recommend other semi .22 on the roster. Few .22 revolvers on roster as well that will be nice.

Caliber conversion for Glock is also available, if you like to keep it the same across the board.
Old 03-29-2020, 1:42 PM

$500 for a Glock is average price. Oh and forgot to mention, welcome to calguns. Also look into GSSF for shooting events. You can even win another Glock from them and its great for pro's and newbie's alike.
Old 03-29-2020, 2:17 PM

Now is probably not the time to use my pistol purchase certificate.

I have a feeling all the blue box retailers will "get to it"
Old 04-04-2020, 1:19 PM

any updates on your situation? I'm currently on the same boat with them. I "special ordered" a 9mm shield on the 22nd but I didn't get no time frame. I was omly told that they were gonna get more but the date was undetermined. Gave them a call a couple of days ago and I still didn't get the answer I was looking for.
Old 04-04-2020, 2:02 PM

I found a FFL that had new G34 and was delivered within 48 hrs. If you are interested in 34 and dont want to wait you can try that. In my case that's the model I wanted anyways.
Old 04-04-2020, 2:24 PM

Not the best timing. But, to both CG and shooting, welcome OP.

Rookie mistake. No real harm done.

“People like to think the political spectrum in this country runs from right to left. Really, it runs from top to bottom.” -Molly Ivins

Illegitimi non carborundum
Old 04-04-2020, 3:11 PM

Patience is a virtue, sayeth wise men. Unless a "tango" is rushing at you. Shoot first and talk later.

So, this feeding frenzy will die down, and sooner than we think. Warren Buffet always says to buy when others are selling. Yup.

If a Democrat gets elected in November, there will be another feeding frenzy on both firearms and ammo. Make your plans accordingly.

“You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We’ll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we’ll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. ” (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 04-04-2020, 3:43 PM
Next-Gen. Rooftopian.

Quote:
Hey guys I have some questions about a recent purchase I made during this corona chaos. As we all know guns are sold out everywhere and some places(my local ammo bro’s) aren’t even taking new sales.

Quote:
However I found a smaller local shop that was still doing special orders. So I payed for a glock 17 and got a receipt but they said it could be any where from 3 weeks to 3 months until it is there to pick up. So my question to start was that a bad idea? Should I have just waited until they are back in stock? I figured I would get my place in line but maybe that wasn’t the right idea.
Given the current panic buy situation, it was the right idea. Or more accurately, making the best of a bad situation.

You're new to this but those of us that know panic buys know that the small local shop is pretty much correct/on the money. Thing is to not buy during a panic. The FBI just said that this past March more firearms were sold in a single month than any month in *recorded* history. I'm sorry for all the new buyers panic buying and dealing with both the lack of stock, lack of options (due to roster), and coming to real-life terms with what laws they voted for are actually like (sounds good on paper but once the tires hit the pavement, not so much), but you panicked and decided to buy alongside everyone else that panicked and decided to buy. Poor timing, but it's honestly fine, nobody learns without making mistakes, and people are learning in (quite literally FBI-statistically-backed) record numbers.

Unless you want to buy a beat up, used Glock 19 from one of those f***s that are selling them for $900 right now...I mean, honestly if I was in your shoes I'd just be patient and wait for what you ordered, rather than pay double on the secondhand market for some beat-up home-stippled booger-banger.

Quote:
Another question I have is when do you think they will run the background check? At the time of purchase or only once they have a gun in hand for me?
They will run the background check once the gun and you are both physically present at their shop simultaneously. If either element is missing when they run the DROS, then the DROS cannot be run. The gun has to go from being put into the DROS system with you there signing off on it with all relevant ID items and thumbprinting straight into the gun store's safe for 10 days.

Quote:
And I ask the last question because I was thinking if it is going to take longer then a month i would find a used gun and do a PPT. And doing that you don’t have to wait for the 1 in 30 laws right?
For the time being correct, PPT is exempt from 1 in 30. PPT restrictions currently are on the seller's side, not the buyer's side (a very recently active law). I would not expect this to remain the case forever, because of the state we live in, the nature of the politicians in said state, and the general thought process of active voters in the state (as well as "ghost voters"). Things have been changing fast in this state and absolutely not for the betterment of buyers such as yourself.

Dear snowflakes: Screeching "you're triggered" at other people doesn't make them the triggered ones: It's you.
Calguns had 316,693 registered members as of 05/25/2020. I only have 37 people on my ignore list (i.e. only 0.00012% of the members) so this community overall is awesome. (Although the COVID-iocy infection continues to spread rapidly.)

Last edited by LateBraking; 04-04-2020 at 3:58 PM..
Old 04-04-2020, 3:46 PM
Next-Gen. Rooftopian.

Quote:
Another question I have is when do you think they will run the background check? At the time of purchase or only once they have a gun in hand for me?
Here's something I wrote for another member. Some of it not relevant to you, some of it quite relevant to you. Mainly reposting this because I noticed you seem a little lost at sea, remember to have all your ID stuff squared away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
Let's super simplify this. This does not cover every single conceivable scenario, but I am trying to distill it down for a first timer CA gun buyer in such a way that is easily palpable. Again, statements here are sweeping generalizations that are not 100% accurate but made in such a way as to make it easily understandable.

1) If buying a "new" handgun, you can only buy guns that are on Kalifornia's approval list. Basically, this state needs to give its citizens permission to buy a specific handgun before they can buy it. The number of "new" handguns that have been added to the CA permission slip has been "nearly zero" since the year 2013. I'll leave you to do research on this on the side if you're curious. Suffice to say, if the gun was released in the year 2013 or beyond, it is safe to assume Kali has not granted permission for you a normal citizen to purchase it. Link to list/search engine: https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/cert...andguns/search

2)(a) There are an exempt class of people in Kalifornia (roster-exempt). The most notable single exempt class is police. Without making it too complicated with departmental differences, etc., just for the sake of your own understanding, police are allowed to purchase handguns without looking to the permission slip website. So, they can buy whatever they want, like those Taurus that you want, even if you can't, as an exempt class of people.

2)(b) A police officer is not forced to keep a firearm they don't want forever. Typically, if they've used a firearm on duty for some time, and something new comes out and they want to upgrade, then they are free to sell their exempt purchase to regular citizens, to free up money for their upgrade. That means that if you plan to purchase a firearm that is not on the permission list, your only chance generally (without getting into murky complexities of intra-familiar, gifting from out of state with zero compensation truly and purely intended as a gift, etc.) is to search the secondhand market for a handgun that a police officer is selling.

Note: FFL basically means a licensed gun dealer.
Note: Off-roster means any handgun that is not on the permission website linked earlier.
Note: As roster-exempt individuals know that they are the only source for off-roster handguns for non-exempt individuals, they generally (but not always) are the subject of price gouging. As a rough example, a Gen. 5 Glock 17 with an MSRP of $550 in 49 states will sell for $1000 in California, since it is an off-roster firearm being sold by a roster-exempt individual. A Gen 3 Glock 17, released back in the late 90s, meanwhile, can be purchased new from an FFL for as low as $470, if you go to the right FFL.

3)(a) To purchase any handgun in the state of CA new OR used, you must have a firearms safety certificate issued to you by an FFL after you have taken the test at said FFL. You must have a valid CA ID that does not state anywhere on the ID the words "Federal Limits Apply." If your ID does state this, you are subject to additional ID requirements (I won't go into it for now). You must also bring a secondary proof of residency (utility bill, car registration) that has name and address information that matches your ID.

3)(b)
All firearms transactions in Kalifornia must go through a FFL, new or used. There is an additional tax on top of sales tax collected on all purchases by the state, as well as a transaction fee by the FFL. Typically when buying new the transaction fee is waived or reduced, but the tax cannot be abated. So, whatever price you pay for the firearm + tax, you will also be paying roughly $40 more for a new gun purchase, and roughly $50 more for a used one.

Note: Smith and Wesson Shield is on roster. Kahr makes several carry guns, such as the CW9, which is on-roster. These tend to be popular on-roster choices. Or, again, you could turn to the secondhand off-roster marketplace, but you will be paying for it.
Note: You cannot open carry in CA. You cannot concealed carry in CA without a CCW license. CCW is very difficult to get in CA, depending on what county you live in. If you live in LA County, it is nigh-on impossible at this time.

(3)(c) Once you buy a gun, new or used, at a FFL, you cannot take it home with you right away. You have to pick it up 10 days later, since the Kali insists it needs 10 days to check your background. And then if you don't pick it up within 20 days of your 10 days clearing up, then you have to background check another 10 days again, and pay the $40 or $50 fee again.

(4) if you've moved into CA from out of state, you have to register all your firearms with the state within like, 30 or 40 days or something, or you've done did an illegal in Kali.

Dear snowflakes: Screeching "you're triggered" at other people doesn't make them the triggered ones: It's you.
Calguns had 316,693 registered members as of 05/25/2020. I only have 37 people on my ignore list (i.e. only 0.00012% of the members) so this community overall is awesome. (Although the COVID-iocy infection continues to spread rapidly.)

Last edited by LateBraking; 04-04-2020 at 3:53 PM..
Old 04-05-2020, 1:37 AM

I appreciate the flow of info and thank you guys all for the advice. Since I posted I’ve emailed Fowler’s a few times and they got to me today saying
“ Look's like they will ship on 4/7/20 shipping has been slow as you can imagine yet there is confirmation. Thanks for your patients. “
So hopefully I can go in and finish the paperwork and start the 10 day wait by Monday?(4-13) How long should it take for them to get a shipment?

Last edited by Berton; 04-05-2020 at 1:47 AM.. Reason: Date clarifying
Old 04-05-2020, 6:46 AM

That’s not bad. New Glock 17 shipping within a week during this panic buying outage. Typically guns are shipped one day overnight but no really sure. Much better than paying outrageous prices in the preowned marketplace. G17 was my first handgun I got over 10 years ago. Congratulations on the new G17. Welcome to Calguns and we hope you stick around as a proud gun owner
Old 04-05-2020, 8:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Fowler really sucks. Expect a run around.

Be well and stay safe
Bob
It’s too bad they are still in business I thought they were going out of business awhile back.

1A-2A = -1A
Old 04-05-2020, 9:31 AM
Next-Gen. Rooftopian.

Quote:
How long should it take for them to get a shipment?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPGunner View Post
That’s not bad. New Glock 17 shipping within a week during this panic buying outage. Typically guns are shipped one day overnight but no really sure. Much better than paying outrageous prices in the preowned marketplace. G17 was my first handgun I got over 10 years ago. Congratulations on the new G17. Welcome to Calguns and we hope you stick around as a proud gun owner
Guns are shipped overnight if its a individual shipping to an FFL/gunsmithing.

Guns shipped between FFLs typically go by 3 day-ish shipping. Assuming the distributor has no real delays and the shipping companies do not have any COVID-19 related delays, including processing time, you should typically expect to see it at your FFL between 3-5 business days of the distributor providing a tracking number and sending it out.

Last edited by LateBraking; 04-05-2020 at 9:34 AM..
Old 04-12-2020, 3:30 PM

Almost all distributors are depleted, and trying to keep up with panic buyers. Hope you were never an anti-gun person

Last edited by mikal1911; 04-12-2020 at 3:34 PM..
Old 05-01-2020, 3:26 PM

So some closure for y’all. I know you guys were really invested in my journey, the gun got to the store and I started my dros on the 9th. Right in the middle of all the delays. At the time they said delays are about 2-3 days. So I come in 22 and they check for me and it’s still pending. They tell me then it’s about 5-7 day delay. No worries I understand, they also tell me I will be on a list that they will check daily and call if it has gone through. So today I was at day 22 and starting to get very impatient so I go in And what do you know. It was ready. But it was ready on the 25th!! So I sat around almost a week when it was ready. I shouldn’t have trusted their call system that’s on me but I will definitely be using another gun store from here on out. Evans or rifle gear I’ve had better experience by far. So good luck guys I hope your guns will be ready soon!
Old 05-01-2020, 6:33 PM

Right on. Now stock up on ammo and get some range time in
Old 05-01-2020, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
Do yourself a favor, while you're waiting for the gun to arrive figure out how you're going to safely store it once you get it. I'm a new gun owner as well, only taking possession of my first firearm (Beretta 92FS) 6-7 weeks ago (had nothing to due with Covid-19 and purely coincidence). I didn't realize how much more money I'd spend on other things like training (I booked a few hours with a Firearms Instructor 1 on 1 before even taking possession of the firearm), bought a Fort Knox Pistol Box and bolted that thing to the floor, and that wasn't cheap, had to get a locking case and a range bag for transportation and going to the range, ear and eye protection, ammunition, cleaning kit, and the list goes on!

In the short time I've owned the firearm I have been to Front Sight and took the 4-day Defensive Handgun course. I was a bit nervous since I had only shot that gun three times prior, and besides the couple of hours with the firearms instructor I've never shot a gun in my life. This course was the best thing I've done. If I didn't take this class I wouldn't even know what I didn't know. It was an eye-opening and amazing experience.

Owning a gun is like having a rattlesnake for a pet, so to speak. You can never let your guard down or get too comfortable with it, not even once, because the one time you do, it's going to bite you.

I don't have any kids and still have my pistol in that Fort Knox Pistol Box and my shotgun is in a small long gun cabinet that's bolted to the wall with a biometric lock, hidden from plain sight, and keep them out of sight and as a deterrent if anyone broke into my place while I wasn't home. A determined thief can get a hold of anything, but anything I can do to lessen the chance the better. I'd be devastated if my guns were stolen and used to harm of kill someone else. These are all things you have to consider once you take possession of the firearm, and all of the steps I've taken mentioned above were done to be a good gun steward and representative in the community. Lord knows there's enough bad press out there about gun ownership own this state, and all of us new gun owners really need to do this right and show everyone that we take this seriously.

Sorry to be the stick in the mud, but this has been a big learning experience for me as well, and although it's obviously a ton of responsibility it's also been a great learning experience and so much fun, and dare I say the fun really started once I started getting proper training. You'll feel more confident around the firearm, especially if you're god forbid put in a situation where you'll actually need to use it. Without training and practice owning a firearm is probablydoing you more harm than good.

Best of luck and keep us posted on what you end up doing!
This is some of the best advice on this thread. YES YES YES to getting training and reading up on safety. I have a range membership at On Target and they have decent beginners classes and just started intermediate classes. Having a membership also makes range time a lot cheaper. If you go 1x a month it'll pay for itself. That said I'm in about every 2 weeks.

I was just at Fowler this AM picking up ammo. I've never had an issue dealing with them. They're no-nonsense, in my experience.

Congrats on the Glock! Welcome to the party. Better late than never. Just don't be late again.

Last edited by B2D; 05-01-2020 at 7:20 PM..
Old 05-02-2020, 6:33 AM

Quote:
So some closure for y’all. I know you guys were really invested in my journey, the gun got to the store and I started my dros on the 9th. Right in the middle of all the delays. At the time they said delays are about 2-3 days. So I come in 22 and they check for me and it’s still pending. They tell me then it’s about 5-7 day delay. No worries I understand, they also tell me I will be on a list that they will check daily and call if it has gone through. So today I was at day 22 and starting to get very impatient so I go in And what do you know. It was ready. But it was ready on the 25th!! So I sat around almost a week when it was ready. I shouldn’t have trusted their call system that’s on me but I will definitely be using another gun store from here on out. Evans or rifle gear I’ve had better experience by far. So good luck guys I hope your guns will be ready soon!
Berton, thanks for letting us know how it all ended. I'm really happy for you that it turned out well, and you got the firearm you paid for. What an ordeal but you stood tall through it all!

“You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We’ll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we’ll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. ” (Ronald Reagan, 1964)