Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2019, 12:00 PM

Default Can movers legally transport firearms & ammo inside California?

I'm moving from LA area to Bay Area. Can movers legally transport my rifles and handgun and ammo?

Pistol is in locked container. Rifles are in non-locked soft bags. All are unloaded. Ammo is completely separate.

If this question has been asked and answered elsewhere on Calguns, my apologies and please point me in the right direction.

THANKS FOR ANY INFORMATION.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:15 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yes.

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ansit-2007r-9p
Quote:
The Department's [US Department of Justice] interpretation that in-transit firearms remain in the transferring/sending FFL's “inventory” for purposes of section 923(g)(6) is further supported by the fact that an FFL's delivery of firearms to a common or contract carrier for transport does not result in a “disposition” or “transfer” unless and until the firearms are received by the transferee. The Department does not believe that the GCA scheme, which sets forth procedures for conveying firearms by carriers,[7] supports the conclusion that delivering firearms to the carrier for transport is a “transfer” or “disposition” to that carrier. Under the GCA and current regulations, the carrier is not said to maintain an “inventory” of firearms, and the disposition records of the transferring FFL do not reflect the carrier as a person to whom firearms are disposed. If an FFL's submission of firearms to a carrier were a “disposition” or “transfer,” such an interpretation would lead to results that Congress very likely did not intend. Specifically, the transferring FFL would be required to treat carriers like any other unlicensed person by: (1) Having an employee of the carrier complete ATF Form 4473 prior to receiving any firearms for shipment; [8] (2) checking identification and conducting background checks on the carrier's employees; [9] (3) recording bound book entries as dispositions to the carrier, rather than to the actual transferees or purchasers of the firearms; [10] and (4) possibly completing multiple sales or other disposition reports when applicable.[11] Moreover, unless similar disposition requirements were also imposed on the carriers' subsequent transfer of the firearms to their purchasers, the firearms could potentially end up in the hands of criminals, and would not be traceable if later used in crimes.
California appears to follow the Feds in believing that no 'transfer' occurs from shipper to common carrier.

Now, getting a shipper for household goods who will agree to accept guns/ammunition is another issue - shippers can refuse to carry anything they don't like.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-10-2019, 12:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Just ran into this

We are selling the house and moving come spring. We contacted a moving company and they will not transport firearms and ammunition.

We have to do that ourselves.

Their phone rep said that it's a very common practice for moving companies.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ask shipper. Get a trunk lock guns inside. Take shelves out of frig put case guns inside lock with strap or padded cable.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:30 PM

Even if the mover would be willing I sure would not trust them to transport my guns.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:36 PM

Why would you EVER let a stranger be in possession of your firearms and ammo when you are not there?
How are you getting to SF? Driving?
If yes then just case and lock the firearms in the back of the trunk/bed/back and cover with clothing or blankets.
You can drive to SF in 6 hours.
The only thing I would let the movers move is an empty safe, and even then I don’t want them to speculate what of value is inside it.
When I move I will move my safe, firearms and ammo by myself with the help of one or two trusted people.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:53 PM

Yes, they legally can. Most will not though. And I wouldn't allow a moving company to transport anything other ammo anyway.
Old 11-10-2019, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
Even if the mover would be willing I sure would not trust them to transport my guns.
Or much of anything else for that matter.
If you have a decent collection, the logistics of moving your firearms will take some careful planning.
Old 11-10-2019, 1:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Try uship.com ,. I have shipped a lot of stuff with them. Handguns you fly or drive with anyway. How many long guns. Approximate weight?

Last edited by edgerly779; 11-10-2019 at 1:29 PM..
Old 11-10-2019, 3:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutcliffe View Post
We are selling the house and moving come spring. We contacted a moving company and they will not transport firearms and ammunition.

We have to do that ourselves.

Their phone rep said that it's a very common practice for moving companies.
Or alcohol, household cleaning liquids, spray cans, flammables (Hoppes!), fire extinguishers, ...
Old 11-10-2019, 3:25 PM

Based on my recent experience moving from California to Florida- yes, some moving companies will transport unloaded firearms, butNO ammo. They will take a detailed inventory prior to packing, and you will use the same inventory to verify they all were delivered. Please PM me if you need additional details.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-10-2019, 4:10 PM
Banned in Amsterdam

When I last moved, we spent a lot of time boxing everything up. The evening before the movers were due to arrive I was reading through the agreement and discovered they would not move ammunition.

I cast an anxious look over the several boxes I knew held ammo, shrugged, and figured we'd see what happened tomorrow.

Day of the move the movers were unloading boxes from the truck. One came into our new house with a hand truck laden with several boxes I knew carried ammo (there was no outward markings indicating such). He gave a heavy sigh, looked at me, and said "You have a lot of books, huh?". I just smiled, nodded, and said "Yep!"

Sometimes it pays to be a geek.

"Shot placement trumps all."

Old 11-10-2019, 5:57 PM

Moved a lot being a military kid. We always had a moving company hired by the military; and several times we had items stolen by the movers. I wouldn't trust them with guns.

John 14:6
Old 03-29-2020, 9:37 AM

I think A1 Auto Transport will move firearms. We used them to move last year and they did anyway. There is a slight chance that I didn't mention it explicitly, but it was pretty obvious so I assume there was no issue with it. No harm in giving a call and asking.

Sorry I know this is an older thread, but I thought I'd offer up an option at least in case anyone else is in the same position.

Last edited by Librarian; 03-29-2020 at 9:57 AM..
Old 03-29-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguelo View Post
There is a slight chance that I didn't mention it explicitly, but it was pretty obvious so I assume there was no issue with it.
careful with that logic. The dude loading the truck might not care, but if it's against policy, it wouldn't be covered if there was an incident (stolen, vehicle crash, I know someone who lost a bunch of stuff in a move because the truck caught on fire). Also an unscrupulous mover/packer could easily steal them if it was "obvious", and if you tried to file a claim they would say "not possible, we don't allow firearms, we would not have loaded them". Consider asking about how they ship as well, not all shippers move stuff door to door direct, it could get offloaded into a warehouse temporarily.
Old 03-29-2020, 1:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I moved 3 times in the last 8 yrs. I used two Greenlee job boxes 24x48x24. One was mostly long guns and some handguns. The other mostly ammo and some handguns. Put them on a U-Haul trailer and drove them wherever I was moving to.

Movers moved the safe and the rest of the household on two occasions. I moved the safe on the third via friend's pick up truck while I put all guns in back of my pick up truck with shell and the Decked storage system.
CGN and NVS