Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 04-16-2019, 8:38 PM

oh, I see. last time when I was shooting factory loaded CCI blazing, I got a loose bullet, and I noticed the bottom of bullet was also covered by copper, so I was confused about FMJ and TMJ.
Old 04-17-2019, 3:03 AM
Veteran Member

I have used about 8K of a 10K batch from SNS casting so far and no issues (180 grain .40).

There are couple of local guys that put an order together each month for people wanting to buy and if you pick it up at a USPSA match at Prado no shipping costs.

DM me for details if interested and I'll hook you up.
Old 04-17-2019, 4:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Jacketed is usally a thick cup with swagged lead inside, capped (with a plug under the base) or uncapped. Plated is tumbled during electroplating, AFAIK, so no real base plug you can see, uniform coating even at the base.
Exposed lead at the base, or a definite plug ring at the base: those are jacketed.
I have shaved Berry's plated and X-Treme plated during reloading in the past, but lately I have not seen this happen on X-Treme's plated, it might be thicker now...

In my GP-100 in .357 Magnum, I noticed that I am more accurate with lead and PC lead on the 50yd plate for .357 AND .38 SPL. compared to plated. I never noticed any leadding, but I do shoot copper plated throughout my sessions, and generally don't push lead to max. pressures.

Regarding leadding, the lead I shoot is typically Brinell 18, and copper jackets seems to be (per some google searches) 100-130, but I can't seem to find any data on plated on the Brinell scale... I assume it is the same as jacketed, only thinner. I have pushed X-Treme plated pretty hard, but haven't noticed separation in 9mm and even .357 Mag.

Last edited by the86d; 04-17-2019 at 4:29 AM..