Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 02-21-2019, 8:00 AM

I definitely do not miss the late '90s rigs I had, even though they were bad *** at the time. 1.5KW power supply constantly blowing hot air, whine from 6 10K drives on raid 5, SLI 3D cards and passthrough cables, OC'ing and huge *** fans, more noise. Crappy SMP support on OSs scraping and reapplying thermal paste. Memory speed settings, pulling cache chips. Cutting your hands on sheet metal cases. Nah

Would take today's modern hardware over any of that. Solid state and low power, fanless and quiet, powerful and inexpensive. Emulate everything I need. Which is why I still have a 1MB Mac Plus. Ripped it's ROM years ago to run emulation of OS9 on my current systems. But, that old sucker still boots and runs.
Old 02-21-2019, 8:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
I definitely do not miss the late '90s rigs I had, even though they were bad *** at the time. 1.5KW power supply constantly blowing hot air, whine from 6 10K drives on raid 5, SLI 3D cards and passthrough cables, OC'ing and huge *** fans, more noise. Crappy SMP support on OSs scraping and reapplying thermal paste. Memory speed settings, pulling cache chips. Cutting your hands on sheet metal cases. Nah

Would take today's modern hardware over any of that. Solid state and low power, fanless and quiet, powerful and inexpensive. Emulate everything I need. Which is why I still have a 1MB Mac Plus. Ripped it's ROM years ago to run emulation of OS9 on my current systems. But, that old sucker still boots and runs.
You can still cut your hands on cheapo import cases, but Dell and Lenovo stuff is really nice. I think my case at home is an ANTEC or Cooler Master full tower - nice $150 case, but when the huge LED fan on the side went out I couldn't find a cheap replacement. I have a old school server tower in the garage stacked with three or four other PCS... I should open them up and see if they are bootable. I wouldn't mind getting my old Matrox G200 rig running and see if there are any old Avid video projects on there. I guess some people would consider my main PC with AMD AM3 CPU pretty old, hahah. It does have 20 gig ram, a bunch of Samsung PRO SSD's and a GTX 1080 GPU with WIN10PRO. Probably upgrade that sometime after I get a new living room TV.
Old 02-21-2019, 4:25 PM

Default i keep everything

i have old rigs, i keep em for burning old ps1 games cause they burn at lower speeds
Old 02-22-2019, 3:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Barron View Post
i have old rigs, i keep em for burning old ps1 games cause they burn at lower speeds
Get better burners?
Old 02-22-2019, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Get better burners?
I keep an old HP 4x USB CDRW around for writing Audio CDs when necessary in 1 or 2x mode for just this reason. Some older CD players don't like the skew on high speed written discs.
Old 02-22-2019, 9:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I keep an old HP 4x USB CDRW around for writing Audio CDs when necessary in 1 or 2x mode for just this reason. Some older CD players don't like the skew on high speed written discs.
I used to just slow down the write speed to avoid that.
Old 02-22-2019, 9:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a Toshiba Core2Duo laptop still chugging along... probably on its fourth hard drive, now SSD. Also have a Toshiba laptop right here running XP PRO that's a Pentium4 2.8 GHZ with "704 MB" of ram... that's probably not retro but I am using it.
Old 02-22-2019, 9:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I miss the old game

Redneck Rampage

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 02-22-2019, 10:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
I miss the old game

Redneck Rampage
Hahah, nice. I forgot about that one. I remember a Cyrix and a Pentium computer connected via serial cable to play Duke Nukem in my apartment when I worked in San Diego. Also, racking up DWANGO fees before KALI.

Last edited by crufflers; 02-22-2019 at 10:12 AM..
Old 02-22-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
I used to just slow down the write speed to avoid that.
I forgot when, but sometime after 8x writers were introduced, most vendors stopped supporting CLV write speeds and went to CAV writing that varied linear speed depending on where on the disc the laser was. There wasn't anything technically stopping vendors from supporting both, but the majority were cheap and dropped CLV write-modes. Hence hanging on to the old hardware.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I forgot when, but sometime after 8x writers were introduced, most vendors stopped supporting CLV write speeds and went to CAV writing that varied linear speed depending on where on the disc the laser was. There wasn't anything technically stopping vendors from supporting both, but the majority were cheap and dropped CLV write-modes. Hence hanging on to the old hardware.
Dunno... do recall burning redbook audio format cd's for a car cd changer quite often and when they would not play they skipped like crazy or no sound at all, no track registered... and I would simply burn again at maybe 8x or 16x instead of 52x or whatever the max was... and then they always worked. Certain they were more than 8x writers though. Cheapo CDR's not Plextors or Pioneer slot feds like the old days.
Old 02-22-2019, 1:14 PM

Part of the issue was it was physically impossible to write above 16-20x in CLV mode due to the velocity of the media when the laser was on the interior tracks. The CD would grenade from centrifugal forces that overcame the media's limit for failure. So, to make write speeds faster, they made the disc run at a constant velocity. That meant that the linear speed was variable and the ECC coding was sometimes omitted or improperly written due to reduced dwell time. It's this reason that audio players skipped.

Different audio CD mechanisms had different tolerances, but ones from the late '80s couldn't do anything more than 2x per Philips original spec. So if you had a high-end player from that era, as I used to, 2x was the max and the CAV drives couldn't make a clean enough disc for that generation of player.

Last edited by Robotron2k84; 02-22-2019 at 1:18 PM..
Old 02-22-2019, 1:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It's this reason that audio players skipped.

Different audio CD mechanisms had different tolerances, but ones from the late '80s couldn't do anything more than 2x per Philips original spec. So if you had a high-end player from that era, as I used to, 2x was the max and the CAV drives couldn't make a clean enough disc for that generation of player.
In my experience I was using cd players probably manufactured in 2006+ and saw skipping when burning at high speeds. I never kept any players as old as late 1980's... maybe 90's. The car I am thinking of was a 2006.

I know some people advise selecting to lowest possible speed to burn audio cd's but I never did. It takes a lot longer to burn at the slowest speed... I think the fastest speed to burn one (50-74 min audio) that would not skip was a couple minutes.

Last edited by crufflers; 02-22-2019 at 1:32 PM..
Old 02-27-2019, 2:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Using a USB printer with a DOS computer parallel port

I have a DOS computer that I still use. It was hooked up to a printer with a parallel port. The printer died. Is there an adapter I can use to hook a USB printer to the computer's parallel port so I can continue to use the DOS program?
Old 02-27-2019, 3:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

What's the DOS program and printer support? You might have better luck with a older laserjet that has a parallel port. You can get one relatively cheap from https://www.greatprinterdeals.com/ or similar dealer. Something like a 4050 or 4100, etc.. $100+
Old 03-03-2019, 12:30 PM

I still have sitting up in my attic a gaming machine I built somewhere around the year 2000. Complete with the cut out window in the side, lights on the inside, fan controllers, and everything else. I know it’s not even worth its weight in recycled metal but I can’t bring myself to get rid of it due to how much money I dumped into it when I built it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman321 View Post
I still have sitting up in my attic a gaming machine I built somewhere around the year 2000. Complete with the cut out window in the side, lights on the inside, fan controllers, and everything else. I know it’s not even worth its weight in recycled metal but I can’t bring myself to get rid of it due to how much money I dumped into it when I built it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It might be worth more than you think depending on what components it has. Components from that era fetch a decent amount on ebay. I'm still tracking down components I want for my builds, and one thing I'm having a hard time finding a good deal on is an old beige tower, to be period correct. I've found some on ebay but after shipping they're in the neighborhood of $100 or more. Other than checking the local thrift stores periodically I'm not sure what other source I can check.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk