Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-04-2020, 1:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Winchester '92 carbines - my humble collection

Several years ago I bought a ratty little 1892 carbine in 25-20. It was pretty beat to hell, but I fell in love with the idea of the '92 carbine. I traded that ratty little carbine off, and started looking for another. To make a long story short, over the years I ended up collecting the set. The 44-40 and 38-40 were the last additions, as finding examples in decent condition with good bores for a price I was willing to pay was a real challenge. I finally did accomplish my goal - I now have all four.

From top to bottom, 44-40 made in 1925 with a crisp minty bore, 38-40 made in 1908 with a crisp minty bore, 32-20 made in 1921 with a crisp minty bore, and 25-20 made in 1917 with a crisp minty bore.

The 38-40 has some vintage sling mounts, and the 25-20 has a weird little homemade eye bolt "sling swivel' in the rear, but other than that the guns are pretty much un-messed with. Screws are good, wood is good, finishes are original. And all are very, very good shooters.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

Last edited by bigbossman; 09-04-2020 at 1:43 PM..
Old 09-04-2020, 1:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Very cool collection!
Thank you for sharing.

Many years ago a fireman I knew on Maui was showing me his collection. He had an early Winchester lever gun and maybe because I was comparing it to his other larger rifles but I really thought it was surprisingly light in weight and relatively slim in width dimensions.
It was so long ago I don't even remember what caliber is was but I do remember it had a genuine original burnt in branding mark on the wood stock from the old Hawaiian cattle ranch that it had originally been bought for.
Old 09-04-2020, 1:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Omg, those are great! Something about a .38-40 just sounds lit it would be worth the trouble simply for being so classic. Thank you for sharing, and great collection!
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypto99 View Post
Please stop using logic and reason.
Old 09-04-2020, 2:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That is a great collection to be sure. If I had those beautiful pieces I’d get some nice wood and make a rack custom sized for them.
Old 09-04-2020, 2:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Also, ensure your insurance covers them. Some policies have a $1000 cap for guns unless you get a rider or buy more coverage.
Old 09-04-2020, 2:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
That is a great collection to be sure. If I had those beautiful pieces I’d get some nice wood and make a rack custom sized for them.
Thank you. Honestly - they spend all their time in the safe when I'm not actively using them. I'm too paranoid to leave them out on display, especially if I leave the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
Also, ensure your insurance covers them. Some policies have a $1000 cap for guns unless you get a rider or buy more coverage.
Eastern Insurance......

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 09-04-2020, 2:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbum View Post
Omg, those are great! Something about a .38-40 just sounds lit it would be worth the trouble simply for being so classic. Thank you for sharing, and great collection!
It is easy to reload for. Bullets and brass are readily available, and almost any pistol/shotgun powder will do.... I happen to use 700x and Herco. You can even use .40 S&W bullets, so cheap pulled bullets from American Reloading are on the menu. It is a ton of fun to shoot, and the 200gr bullet really makes the steel dance.

Old 09-04-2020, 3:32 PM

Very nice collection you have there
Old 09-07-2020, 9:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Here's what you need Boss Man, it's on sale too:

cold blue.jpg

I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpertdouche
I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
Here's what you need Boss Man, it's on sale too:
That reminds me..... need to get down to The Dollar Store to buy some oven cleaner. The stocks are kinda grimy, and could use a refresh.

Old 09-08-2020, 3:33 PM

How has nobody suggested an awesome DuraCoat camo job? And add some red dot sights!

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Nothing I post here constitutes legal advice, nor can it establish an attorney/client relationship.