Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-20-2020, 8:21 PM
Veteran Member

Default I need a luger

Where is a decent source? My local shop doesn't have anything below 1500, and at 1500 barrel was pitted

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2020, 8:44 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

Simpson’s has a lot but they’re not exactly cheap.
https://simpsonltd.com/lugers/
Old 09-20-2020, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member

Go to “thelugerforum.com” and ask there. Experts on Lugers and very knowledgeable and friendly.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 09-20-2020, 9:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
Go to “thelugerforum.com” and ask there. Experts on Lugers and very knowledgeable and friendly.
Will do!

Old 09-21-2020, 4:43 AM

I'm missing Luger from my collection too. I've said for years that they're too spendy, and I'll buy when I have more money. They just keep going up though, so I better just bite the bullet when a good one comes up.
Old 09-21-2020, 6:46 AM
Calguns Addict

I am no real expert on Lugers, but I have owned a few in the past and I currently have three. I see prices on them all over the place, largely depending on how knowledgeable the seller is. Sometimes I think that sellers look at Gunbroker prices and think that their grandfathers Luger is worth a fortune because they see asking prices start at big dollars.

While there are certain Lugers that will be valuable even though the condition may not be the best, those with the higher values are going to be the ones that are in high condition and have all matching numbers, including the magazine.

Collecting Lugers, even if your "collection" is only going to be a single example, is a very deep pool to dive into. You would do well to educate yourself as much as possible before you purchase. I knew nothing about Lugers when I bought my first one. It was a mismatched jam-o-matic that I never really got to function properly and was happy to sell it off for what I paid.

While I am not a serious Luger collector, I now know what to look for (and what to avoid) and will buy any Luger I come across if the price and condition is right.

Just to whet your appetite a bit, here is my very modest Luger collection:

1916 DWM LP08.

1920 DWM P08, issued to the Berlin Police, central Berlin.

1937 S/42 (Mauser) P08. This came with the original hardshell holster, spare magazine and loading tool.

Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Dumocraps suck balls.
Old 09-21-2020, 7:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

First you have to know what you want. Is this a safe queen or a shooter. If a shooter then there are mismatch number, Russian imports, nice ones or beaters. The best way for a shooter is get matching numbers and some wear on the gun, matching mag is nice but could add a few hundred dollars. You should be able to get a very nice shooter for around $1200. Nothing is cheap in Luger country. Period mag=$150, holster =$250, tool=$50.

But they are nice to own and shoot.
Old 09-21-2020, 8:03 AM

Was planning to purchase one years ago but when I checked at Simpsons site it was way above and beyond pricey. Just love the design.

https://youtu.be/lW0qDsMIAlk

"There is no death, only a change of worlds."
Old 09-21-2020, 8:28 AM
Veteran Member

I have a friend who is an avid (and well heeled) collector of Lugers & 1911s.. He told me it took him many years and many thousands to learn the nuances of Luger collecting. He's been at it for 40 years and told me he still learns things he didn't know about them....He told me 1911s are easier to learn (collector wise)
Old 09-21-2020, 9:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower View Post
I am no real expert on Lugers, but I have owned a few in the past and I currently have three. I see prices on them all over the place, largely depending on how knowledgeable the seller is. Sometimes I think that sellers look at Gunbroker prices and think that their grandfathers Luger is worth a fortune because they see asking prices start at big dollars.

While there are certain Lugers that will be valuable even though the condition may not be the best, those with the higher values are going to be the ones that are in high condition and have all matching numbers, including the magazine.

Collecting Lugers, even if your "collection" is only going to be a single example, is a very deep pool to dive into. You would do well to educate yourself as much as possible before you purchase. I knew nothing about Lugers when I bought my first one. It was a mismatched jam-o-matic that I never really got to function properly and was happy to sell it off for what I paid.

While I am not a serious Luger collector, I now know what to look for (and what to avoid) and will buy any Luger I come across if the price and condition is right.

Just to whet your appetite a bit, here is my very modest Luger collection:

1916 DWM LP08.

1920 DWM P08, issued to the Berlin Police, central Berlin.

1937 S/42 (Mauser) P08. This came with the original hardshell holster, spare magazine and loading tool.

As I sit and drool.... Beautiful collection!
Long story short, went I. To buy a fat barrel luger. Bought a c96 red9 instead. O how I wish I could have bought both. Sophie's choice. No ow both have gotten insane in prices. The red9 isn't worth as much as the fat barrel. Now it seems I might be able to afford one if priced reasonable.
1500 for non matching pitted barrel is way overpriced. Just looking for a decent shooter, hopefully matching numbers.
Or am I dreaming?

Old 09-21-2020, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfull View Post
First you have to know what you want. Is this a safe queen or a shooter. If a shooter then there are mismatch number, Russian imports, nice ones or beaters. The best way for a shooter is get matching numbers and some wear on the gun, matching mag is nice but could add a few hundred dollars. You should be able to get a very nice shooter for around $1200. Nothing is cheap in Luger country. Period mag=$150, holster =$250, tool=$50.

But they are nice to own and shoot.
Always wanted a luger since I was a kid of the 60s. Such a cool design. Yes over engineered german pos but it's just so cool. Triggers are nice and crisp, little creep. Almost 1911 like.
Sights kinda sucks but I don't think it was made for bullseye shooting. I've shot one before and it made the lust for one worse.
One day

Old 09-21-2020, 9:36 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I set out to find a Luger about 2 years ago and ended up with two of them.

Clearly nothing to get excited over, but still very cool. Both are in .30 Luger and are mostly or all matching besides the magazines. Other than being a complicated design, they have great ergonomics and nice triggers. I very carefully took both of them apart to study the mechanics and check for any worn out parts, but everything was in good working order.

Luger magazines are still made and the MecGars work great. I took one of the two to the range and shot one full magazine, worked perfectly. 30 Luger ammo was also still introduction and cheap last time I checked.

I don't remember the exact price, but both of them were about $700 each. I don't know if either will be shot again, but I like having them in my collection.

Last edited by Bobby Ricigliano; 09-21-2020 at 9:39 AM..
Old 09-21-2020, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I set out to find a Luger about 2 years ago and ended up with two of them.

Clearly nothing to get excited over, but still very cool. Both are in .30 Luger and are mostly or all matching besides the magazines. Other than being a complicated design, they have great ergonomics and nice triggers. I very carefully took both of them apart to study the mechanics and check for any worn out parts, but everything was in good working order.

Luger magazines are still made and the MecGars work great. I took one of the two to the range and shot one full magazine, worked perfectly. 30 Luger ammo was also still introduction and cheap last time I checked.

I don't remember the exact price, but both of them were about $700 each. I don't know if either will be shot again, but I like having them in my collection.
What a deal! Beautiful pistols.
Ahh one day...

Old 09-21-2020, 12:27 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Maybe try to find a Russian capture if you want a lower priced shooter with a good bore.

I gave $1400 for this one and the bore is mint, very likely rebarreled in the 1950s for East German Gestapo
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1589904

If I owned anything nicer, I might never shoot it.

Here is one but the seller really hates CA buyers
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879391134

But you could ship to a middle man FFL in AZ.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 09-21-2020 at 1:20 PM..
Old 09-21-2020, 12:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Everyone needs a Luger. Thankfully there are a lot of them off all values. I went with Simpson, you pay a bit more sure, but my time is also valuable to me and they are respectable source. Mine was an import, and they were able to tell me which country it came from.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 09-21-2020, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

looks like a 30 Luger barrel slightly shorter than a WW2 9mm Luger bbl
Old 09-21-2020, 5:15 PM

Lugers are like Single Action Army Colts...addictive! More variety in Lugers...I have a few, didn't intend on collecting (accumulating) them, but Wednesday I pick up another pretty nice American Eagle for $1600. Cheaper by far than my last SAA.

I can quit anytime!
Old 09-21-2020, 6:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yes, yes you do. Be patient and don’t jump at the first one within your budget. Lots of junk Lugers out there.
Old 09-21-2020, 7:17 PM

Definitely do your research. You can get hosed if you dont know what your buying. A good place to buy a nice luger is
https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/hand-guns/lugers
Old 09-21-2020, 7:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEWMAN View Post
Definitely do your research. You can get hosed if you dont know what your buying.
This is why I've never bought one despite wanting one for decades. There's far too many variables that determine value that I'm completely ignorant of.

Whenever I try to educate myself so I can one day buy one, I've found the more I research the less I know. It's like opening Pandora's box.

So I've never bought one out of fear.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 09-21-2020, 8:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There are few good shops that stand behind their products. Legacy is one but expensive. I would recommend
https://www.checkpointcharlies.com/e...s-walther.html

At this time I do not see any Lugers but you can keep checking. I have a few shooters because you have to start somewhere. If you are going to collect you need books.

Last edited by zinfull; 09-21-2020 at 8:58 PM..
Old 09-22-2020, 4:22 AM

Barnwood Arms in Ripon has a DWM Luger in .30 caliber. Looks nice, don’t know any further specifics. $999.00
Old 09-22-2020, 6:01 AM
Veteran Member

Again, check with the Luger Forum. They will steer you right.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 09-22-2020, 6:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkonrai View Post
1500 for non matching pitted barrel is way overpriced. Just looking for a decent shooter, hopefully matching numbers.
Or am I dreaming?

Way over priced. the 1937 S/42 I pictured is all matching, including the magazine. It came with another magazine, loading tool and original 1940 dated holster. Seller was asking $1500, I traded another Luger that I had about $900 in plus $350 for it, so all in I have $1250 invested.

The 1920 Police Luger, another all matching gun, I got for $800. The one I have the most invested in is the Artillery Luger, no surprise as they tend to command more money than a standard P08. Even at that I only paid two grand for it. I always try to negotiate a better price, if the seller goes for it, fine, if they don't I have to decide if I want to pay what they are asking. If I don't I will walk away and wait for a better deal.

Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Dumocraps suck balls.

Last edited by highpower; 09-22-2020 at 6:44 AM..
Old 09-22-2020, 11:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Prices have softened a bit.

You can get a mostly matching gun in good shape for 1300 ish now if you shop around.
For whatever reason, many have a mismatched sideplate, or small parts like extractors, firing pins, etc. (The latter for more obvious reasons)

Those are the best buys as shooters. You want a matched frame, barrel, toggle, and bolt. Those are the critical hand fitted parts to make it shoot well and have that hand fitted feel.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saki302 View Post
Prices have softened a bit.

You can get a mostly matching gun in good shape for 1300 ish now if you shop around.
For whatever reason, many have a mismatched sideplate, or small parts like extractors, firing pins, etc. (The latter for more obvious reasons)

Those are the best buys as shooters. You want a matched frame, barrel, toggle, and bolt. Those are the critical hand fitted parts to make it shoot well and have that hand fitted feel.
I'm searching lol.

Old 10-01-2020, 10:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Have you checked with Krausewerk in San Mateo? It's their specialty but the web says they are temporarily closed right now.
Old 10-02-2020, 1:17 PM

Default Luger

look at Turners consignment
Old 10-02-2020, 1:24 PM
Veteran Member

Ok since I didn't find something in my price range. I sadly ended up getting a colt.
Hope to transfer this upcoming week.

Old 10-02-2020, 4:28 PM
In Memoriam

Triple A's in Vallejo has a caseful of German Lugers for sale as of 10/2/2020
Harley Owners Group Life Member
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede
Single Action Shooting Society
NRA Life Member
Mensch
Old 10-02-2020, 9:11 PM

I've got a bringback I was thinking about selling but I think I'm too far away in LA.
WWII era 1940 mauser production after they switched over to the nazi eagle with swastika markings.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richochet View Post
Triple A's in Vallejo has a caseful of German Lugers for sale as of 10/2/2020
O great.... Now it's too late

Old 10-02-2020, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtykim View Post
I've got a bringback I was thinking about selling but I think I'm too far away in LA.
WWII era 1940 mauser production after they switched over to the nazi eagle with swastika markings.
south is a bit far, to go twice

Old 10-03-2020, 12:11 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
south is a bit far, to go twice

03+COE means you only go once

Old 10-03-2020, 6:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
03+COE means you only go once
Should have gotten a 03 years ago

Old 10-03-2020, 7:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Where is a decent source? My local shop doesn't have anything below 1500, and at 1500 barrel was pitted

I only own one Luger, a well seasoned 1917 Erfurt that I traded a PTR91 for, so by no means am I an expert.

But as far as value goes, a WWII shooter grade that is functional, with worn finish, non matching, and some pitting should be priced anywhere from $800 to $1000 tops. In other words the cheapest functional Luger you could hope to find is going to be around a grand.

Then, depending on finish, age, markings, matching parts, go up in price from there.

Lightly pitted barrels don't bother me at all, in fact I see it as a great opportunity to get something at a more affordable price. But functionally, light pitting is a non issue and to be expected if the gun is around a century old. I like my relics to have some "character" and look like relics.

My Erfurt looks like it has been through two world wars. They are really cool guns. Super fun to shoot. And attract a lot of attention at the range. The original 9mm.

I highly recommend an 03FFL and COE if you want to find a deal on a Luger. Cash and carry out of state. Go on a road trip and find one.

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.

Last edited by Tere_Hanges; 10-03-2020 at 7:15 AM..
Old 10-03-2020, 7:48 PM

i never see lugers for 1500 and if i do they dont last long i have 2 of them a 41 and 42 byf lugers i payed 2000 for one and 3250 for the black widow i have
Old 10-03-2020, 8:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Deplorable View Post
I only own one Luger, a well seasoned 1917 Erfurt that I traded a PTR91 for, so by no means am I an expert.

But as far as value goes, a WWII shooter grade that is functional, with worn finish, non matching, and some pitting should be priced anywhere from $800 to $1000 tops. In other words the cheapest functional Luger you could hope to find is going to be around a grand.

Then, depending on finish, age, markings, matching parts, go up in price from there.

Lightly pitted barrels don't bother me at all, in fact I see it as a great opportunity to get something at a more affordable price. But functionally, light pitting is a non issue and to be expected if the gun is around a century old. I like my relics to have some "character" and look like relics.

My Erfurt looks like it has been through two world wars. They are really cool guns. Super fun to shoot. And attract a lot of attention at the range. The original 9mm.

I highly recommend an 03FFL and COE if you want to find a deal on a Luger. Cash and carry out of state. Go on a road trip and find one.
I thought pistols had to be sent to ffl out of state?
I'm broke so it's all good. Still ony bucket list. But I did get one thing on the list. Maybe two on my short list.
One day

Sent from my A7 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2020, 9:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I thought pistols had to be sent to ffl out of state?
I'm broke so it's all good. Still ony bucket list. But I did get one thing on the list. Maybe two on my short list.
One day

If you have an 03FFL and COE you can travel out of state and cash and carry any C&R firearm that isnt an "Assault Weapon" into CA. SHIPPING a C&R into CA is different.

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.
Old 10-03-2020, 9:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Deplorable View Post
If you have an 03FFL and COE you can travel out of state and cash and carry any C&R firearm that isnt an "Assault Weapon" into CA. SHIPPING a C&R into CA is different.
Wow! That would make life easier. Almost like the old days