Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 09-17-2020, 1:31 PM

yee-haw! fence mendin' brings back a lot of memories..

now my back is sore just thinking about it LoL
Old 09-17-2020, 4:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
This afternoon I sent a request to Standard Manufacturing for info on turn around time, from initial order with full payment to FFL shipment.
hoof, did they ever reply to your email/request ?

I guess they're pretty busy, they have this on their home page..

Quote:
ATTENTION: Please do not call or email on your order status. Standard Manufacturing is dealing with a unprecedented amount of orders and are working very hard to get them out. Our website does not update order statuses automatically, so it doesn't mean it hasn't shipped. Thank you for your patience and understanding!

MLC, First 3
Old 09-17-2020, 5:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
hoof, did they ever reply to your email/request ?

I guess they're pretty busy, they have this on their home page..
They did indeed reply this afternoon....
6-8 weeks, upon payment, etc.
That is pretty fast, and interesting in that the prices haven’t been jacked.
I’ll order as soon as I hear about the status of another project; if it dosen’t work out, I’ll get going on a Standard(s).
Old 09-17-2020, 6:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
They did indeed reply this afternoon....
6-8 weeks, upon payment, etc..
Thanks brother

MLC, First 3
Old 09-18-2020, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
That should be fun and interesting research.

When Mark, Tom and I met up at the last minute on Friday in the Mojave, I had in addition to the usual lever lineup my .375 Mark X and some mild-mannered 235 gr Speer jsp spitzers. Want to put radar to these because while they'll shove you back a bit they're not uncomfortable to shoot. Wanna see how fast they go. Used AA5744 and there was clean, complete utilization of all propellent. No kernels left over. Mayhaps the Win LRMP had something to do with that. Dunno...

That lil' girl has a good face. I like her a lot, and from way over here.

Holy Toledo, Dave... no gloves, no come-along. Just bare hands, barbed wire n' pliers. Awlrightythen!

Chupacabra?

I'm ready for whatever it is with what Taffin calls a "perfect packin' pistol": the 4-5/8" Ruger NMB flat top .44 Special stoked with a hopped-up version of Skeeter's load.

That, and the .45-70 in the scabbard!

Here's hoping you folks up there catch a break from the smoke, soon. This weather pattern should begin to change by week's end.

Gloves? Gloves are for sissies and this sissie forgot his that day! I'd taken em out of that grey leather bag at my feet, in the photos, for some other project and forgot to put em back. I keep all my fencing supplies in that bag so I can just grab that bag hang it off the saddle horn and go to where we need to ride to. Then I just toss it down where I'm working and have everything. Except my gloves, this time!

Quite possibly a chupacabra, or shape shifter or some other thingy, maybe Nessie? Don't know. She is a good one for sure though that little filly. This part of the ranch is directly across 58 from the rodeo grounds. Several years back we were there the night before the rodeo. They have a sponsorship dinner the night before to thank all the sponsors and all the folks involved in the show. We're invited as vendors to set up but folks seldom do. We always set up a couple of tables and sometimes we've sold more there that night then the whole rodeo weekend. Anyhoo one of the guys from out of state involved with the rodeo came up to me and said he'd been told that was our place and pointed across the highway. I said yep. He said he was an avid hunter and hauls his spotting scope around with him on his rodeo travels. He said he was set up that afternoon watching our hills and saw a cat working. We knew we had one in the area as the neighbor behind us had some cattle killed and the neighbor to the east a horse. The next weekend we were working gathering stuff in. There are several old retired horses out at the ranch and when we pull in with a trailer they'll show up sometimes for a short visit with old friends. Anyhoo we rode every square inch of that ranch. I had 13 riders that afternoon all split up and riding different areas and we get back to the corrals at dusk and we ain't got any cattle. Well except two volunteers that were standing there at the corrals waiting for us. But Salty had a cool picture on his phone. He'd treed that cat. We'd seen a bunch of pigs and Easton almost got one roped before his pony got high centered on some sage and couldn't go no more, that was kinda funny. But no cows. Sometimes the cattle, I think, take a portal to a different cow dimension as in where the heck are they? Course next morning the entire herd is at the water in The Bowl and we get around em and bring em in. Now we run into Apache. He's an old retired mustang of Nichole's in his mid thrities (he died last year at 37, incredibly old for a horse. We'd seen him the day before but today his face is all scatched up, from claw marks. He was fine but I always figured that was an even or kind of deal, no half ways. Ya don't get to be in your 30s in the mustang world by being a wuss. The neighbors stopped having kitty problems and I figure sooner or later I gonna come across a kitty skeleton with a stomped and flattened skull.

Big question though how did the Henry shoot????
Old 09-18-2020, 12:03 PM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Helluva story! and as always an enjoyable read. Be good to find what's left of that cat, but as long as yer neighbors aren't suffering any ill effects from the bobcat shenanigans, then, good.

I hope golfish comes along soon to answer your Henry question, but I seem to recall him hitting the little orange spot on several occasions with it at 100 yards.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:15 PM

My .375 H&H Interarms Whitworth Safari Mark X, however, with some 2000 fps 235 gr reduced-recoil handloads, on the other hand, also shot well. 'twas a good acquistion, and I have RayPDA to thank for it.

Old 09-18-2020, 1:19 PM

It wasn’t a bobcat kitty. It was a bigger kitty. Predation wise we don’t worry much about bobcats, I’ve not heard of any problems with them that I can recall. Lions, bears, coyotes and golden eagles are and can be a problem.
Good to hear that your big up shot good!
Old 09-18-2020, 2:17 PM

It wasn't, was it. Dagnabbit. The moment it was too late to edit my post I realized it must've been a cougar-sized m'yanimal. Those being the catamount, the mountain screamer, cougar, puma and "ghost cat"... (see what I did, there? )
Old 09-19-2020, 6:29 AM

Gloves??
Rumor is that HW takes one end of the barbed wire in his teeth and hand wraps the other end. One quick bite joins the two ends.

Of course, I think HW started that rumor. LOL

Seriously, glad to hear that you are making through the fires.
Old 09-19-2020, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueceMcGurk View Post
Gloves??
Rumor is that HW takes one end of the barbed wire in his teeth and hand wraps the other end. One quick bite joins the two ends.

Of course, I think HW started that rumor. LOL

Seriously, glad to hear that you are making through the fires.
Its true, not even any of that. How did ya know?

The wind shifted yesterday and brought us new smoke from someplace else. Had to cancel a couple of fishing trips but not that big a deal when folks are loosing their homes other places.

We got a little lake up here called Brite Lake. Its storage for part of the Feather River water project. It provides ag water up here and we use it for the ranch. Went out a couple evenings and caught a bunch of largemouth bass. Nothing of any size but a lot of fun on a flyrod with a popper. 23 one night and 26 the other. There were so many fish rising to the hatch it looked like it was raining on the lake.