Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 11-22-2022, 12:02 PM

Default Durable Pin punch set (Made in USA)?

Can anyone recommend a good brand for a pin punch set that is made in the USA? (Working on my FN 509 is an exercise in frustration..)

All the locally sourced Lowe's, Home Depot stuff isn't made in the USA, and the quality of the steel is not durable enough. I'd like a set to last. Cry once...

Anything Amazon sourced is all Asian-sourced metal, and I'd rather not be tasked with returning a purchase that won't last.

Got any leads, or recommendations, my friends? Thanks in advance..
Old 11-22-2022, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Starrett punches?

Old 11-22-2022, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
Starrett punches?
These look good to me, thanks. My Google powers seem to have diminished over the years!
Old 11-22-2022, 3:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Durability is one thing; damage to what you are pounding is another. Brass punches may have a shorter life, but at least in some cases they may be a better choice.
Old 11-22-2022, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtlaw View Post
Durability is one thing; damage to what you are pounding is another. Brass punches may have a shorter life, but at least in some cases they may be a better choice.
Agreed.. but these are strictly for pins, both in motorcycle repair as well as firearms.

I don't use punches for installing or drifting handgun sights. I'm not a Neanderthal.
Old 11-22-2022, 9:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Order the individual sizes you need:
https://www.mcmaster.com/punches/manufacturer~starrett/
The top 3 are the most useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shojivic View Post
Can anyone recommend a good brand for a pin punch set that is made in the USA? (Working on my FN 509 is an exercise in frustration..)

All the locally sourced Lowe's, Home Depot stuff isn't made in the USA, and the quality of the steel is not durable enough. I'd like a set to last. Cry once...

Anything Amazon sourced is all Asian-sourced metal, and I'd rather not be tasked with returning a purchase that won't last.

Got any leads, or recommendations, my friends? Thanks in advance..

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 11-23-2022, 6:01 PM

Mayhew makes good stuff.
Old 11-23-2022, 7:24 PM

I have a set made by GraceUSA- made in USA out of Williamsburg, MI. Wasn't too expensive and they are quality IMO.

Graceusatools.com

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2022, 8:06 PM

I've seen the Mayhew name around the interwebs, but after all the searching I must have put them in the discard pile after reading conflicting reviews. Or, I could be wrong after being fatigued from the excessive time on the computer.

I hadn't heard of Grace USA, but thanks for the suggestion. I've already ordered some Starrett punches, so if this Amazon purchase doesn't seem sufficient, I'll look up the Mayhew or Grace USA punches.

Thanks for all the input, gents.
Old 11-24-2022, 12:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I've seen the Mayhew name around the interwebs, but after all the searching I must have put them in the discard pile after reading conflicting reviews. Or, I could be wrong after being fatigued from the excessive time on the computer.
McMaster sells Mayhew punches.
They are good stuff too, but not as nicely finished as Starrett.
I have all Mayhew Roll Pin Punches with the little nipple that helps them stay centered in a roll pin.

Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 11-24-2022, 7:40 AM

I ordered a set of six Starrett punches on Amazon. Came out to $63.89 before tax, Prime shipping. Too bad the "Next day" shipping didn't process correctly, as I was looking forward to completing my trigger swap.

AR15, I did see the Mayhew roll pin sets too. I'll probably pick up a set of those, later on. I've always been lazy with the few roll pins I've encountered over the years, and used standard punches on those. I'd just dismiss the slight damage to the roll pins, but from now on I'll have a proper set. Thanks for the advice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Starrett punch set Amazon.jpg (39.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by shojivic; 11-24-2022 at 7:43 AM.. Reason: Add pic
Old 11-24-2022, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Good choice on Starrett. As mentioned before, get extras of the 3 smallest ones, and save the broken ones (which you WILL have) for making specialty tools. Stubby starter punches go a long way towards not busting the longer ones. The closer you grab the work in a good vise, the easier they come out. Aluminum covers to shield against the knurled jaws, heavy paper against the work to keep aluminum marks off.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Agreed.. but these are strictly for pins, both in motorcycle repair as well as firearms.

I don't use punches for installing or drifting handgun sights. I'm not a Neanderthal.
Punches for sight installation are superior to majority of sight pushers. Sights should be installed pushing the base of the sight into the dovetail rather than pushing on the blade. Dawson makes great punches for sight installation.

As for your original question. Starrett makes quality products. I also have a set of Napa punches made in the USA, although I kind of doubt they still are. Might be worth a check at the auto parts store if you need it quicker than by mail

FOR SALE: 1981 Browning Citori 12g O/U Grade 1
Old 11-24-2022, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

For roll pin punches I have better luck with these https://www.amazon.com/Wilde-Tool-RS.../dp/B00HM9LZV0
Have Mayhews too, these seem a little more durable.
Also the Wheeler pin starters are mighty handy.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I ordered a set of six Starrett punches on Amazon. Came out to $63.89 before tax, Prime shipping. Too bad the "Next day" shipping didn't process correctly, as I was looking forward to completing my trigger swap.

AR15, I did see the Mayhew roll pin sets too. I'll probably pick up a set of those, later on. I've always been lazy with the few roll pins I've encountered over the years, and used standard punches on those. I'd just dismiss the slight damage to the roll pins, but from now on I'll have a proper set. Thanks for the advice!
If you would have ordered from Mcmaster and if you are in southern California you could have had them same day in most cases. Next day is the fall back for Mcmaster.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
If you would have ordered from Mcmaster and if you are in southern California you could have had them same day in most cases. Next day is the fall back for Mcmaster.
Yupper. I'm in east San Diego. If I order before 10 a.m. or so, I have it from LA in the afternoon. If I order after the cutoff, it's there the next morning, often before 8.
McMaster stuff is good to go. They are about as professional as any supplier can be. They also can provide tech support if asked.

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?
Old 11-24-2022, 8:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
If you would have ordered from Mcmaster and if you are in southern California you could have had them same day in most cases.
Next day is the fall back for Mcmaster.
Same day courier delivery is only for commercial addresses that are on one of their daily courier routes.
Residential addresses all go by UPS, even if they are in an area covered by the courier routes.
At least that's what McMaster told me when I tried to get them to put my residential address on their courier route instead of UPS.

Old 11-24-2022, 10:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Same day courier delivery is only for commercial addresses that are on one of their daily courier routes.
Residential addresses all go by UPS, even if they are in an area covered by the courier routes.
At least that's what McMaster told me when I tried to get them to put my residential address on their courier route instead of UPS.
You're just not in the courier route.

It's always the same guy delivering to me. Older guy in a light brown Aerostar van. Brown yes but not UPS
I'm with in a mile of the ship yard so i guess it's within their cut off.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
You're just not in the courier route.

It's always the same guy delivering to me. Older guy in a light brown Aerostar van. Brown yes but not UPS
I'm with in a mile of the ship yard so i guess it's within their cut off.
Could be.
When I ordered for the company I used to work at, it was also always the same guy in an isuzu pickup.

Businesses around my residence are in the san fernando valley courier route.
McMaster told me they simply do not put residential addresses on the courier route.
I could probably get the courier service to my private PO box service as it is a business address but then I would have to drive down there to pickup.

Old 11-25-2022, 11:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Could be.
When I ordered for the company I used to work at, it was also always the same guy in an isuzu pickup.

Businesses around my residence are in the san fernando valley courier route.
McMaster told me they simply do not put residential addresses on the courier route.
I could probably get the courier service to my private PO box service as it is a business address but then I would have to drive down there to pickup.
I just place my order and stuff shows up. I've called to ask about the courier. Now when I lived in the northern part of the county everything showed up UPS, no courier there. I guess I'm just lucky to be close enough to the ship yard the guy can swing by with little effort.
Old 11-25-2022, 12:58 PM

snap-on are good quality, thankfully I still have a full set of everything I'll ever need..

doubt I would pop for the premium to tinker on firearms but used offerings on fleabay might be worthwhile..

Old 11-25-2022, 1:04 PM

fun factoid about mcmaster carr, there's a phone on the wall in will-call with sign next to it for walk-ins to call the order desk and expect an hour minimum
Old 11-25-2022, 1:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Some like multiple lengths too

Stubby to get a pin started
Full length to finish the job.

If you share a basic location, we might be able to share names of places local to you too

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 11-25-2022, 2:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
fun factoid about mcmaster carr, there's a phone on the wall in will-call with sign next to it for walk-ins to call the order desk and expect an hour minimum
You can use the app from the parking lot or standing in will call and the order will be put in quicker.
It's still going to be 20-30 minutes for them to pull it though.
Best is to order and then head over there to give them the time to pull it before you arrive.
That's what I do when I need something in an hour and can't wait for tomorrow morning.

Old 11-25-2022, 3:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
You can use the app from the parking lot or standing in will call and the order will be put in quicker.
It's still going to be 20-30 minutes for them to pull it though.
Best is to order and then head over there to give them the time to pull it before you arrive.
That's what I do when I need something in an hour and can't wait for tomorrow morning.
I wish McMaster was that close to me.. Wait no I don't. I'm glad I don't live anywhere near LA county.
Old 11-25-2022, 4:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I wish McMaster was that close to me.. Wait no I don't. I'm glad I don't live anywhere near LA county.
There are both plusses and minuses to being able to visit Industrial Metal, McMaster Carr, Machinery Exchange, Century Spring and Pioneer Broach all in person all in the same afternoon.

Old 11-25-2022, 4:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
There are both plusses and minuses to being able to visit Industrial Metal, McMaster Carr, Machinery Exchange, Century Spring and Pioneer Broach all in person all in the same afternoon.
Yeah I get it.