Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 10-24-2022, 10:04 AM

Default Do police Shot-Spotters detect ANY airgun shots?

I'm told they detect 22lr but not ANY "fireworks" AKA firecrackers, cherry bombs, etc. Would they detect super-sonic air-rifle shots? Does Shot-Spotter detect "muzzle blast" VS not detect un-contained firecracker pop?

What are the laws in Contra Costa (Richmond) or Alameda County (Pleasanton) for shooting airguns at large industrial site not open to public (locked gated driveway)?

Anyone ever have "police contact" from shooting airguns on private property (when you owned or had permission)?
Old 10-24-2022, 11:03 AM

Not sure what mechanism they used to detect the shot but it could be the sonic boom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voice typing will butcher whatever I was trying to say
Old 10-24-2022, 11:50 PM

Use heavier projectiles in your air rifle to keep them subsonic. Industrial areas often make a lot of noise.

Don't break the law. If you do, don't discuss it on a public forum.
Old 10-25-2022, 4:14 AM
Handy with the steel
CGN Contributor

They detect anything that they are told to.
Old 10-25-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chudungus View Post
I'm told they detect 22lr but not ANY "fireworks" AKA firecrackers, cherry bombs, etc. Would they detect super-sonic air-rifle shots? Does Shot-Spotter detect "muzzle blast" VS not detect un-contained firecracker pop?

What are the laws in Contra Costa (Richmond) or Alameda County (Pleasanton) for shooting airguns at large industrial site not open to public (locked gated driveway)?

Anyone ever have "police contact" from shooting airguns on private property (when you owned or had permission)?
That info is published. A search will reveal what you want to know and not just opinion. If you are wondering about legality, the last source should be another post on the Internet.

I'd start here and then verify against actual county reg etc. (because you never know how up to date 3rd party sources are.

https://airgunlaws.com/california-ai...20to%20Airguns

From Alameda (City)

"4-32.2 – Spring Guns and Slings.
No person shall discharge upon any public street or place in the City any gun, by means of which any missile is projected by a spring, bow, or compressed air, or use any implement whereby stones, beans, shot, pebbles, or other substance are projected.
No person shall, in the City, hurl, or throw any stone or other missile by means of any sling.
(Ord. No. 535 N.S. § 16-513)"

More and more cities and counties are implementing restrictions and ordinances regarding airguns. I've said before, as the trend continues with semi and full auto airguns, larger calibers and so on, expect sooner than later for most gun control laws to be changed to include airguns. The complete morons on the Internet boasting about how lethal airguns can be, the demos attempting to show how closer they are getting to firearms and the idiots dieseling spring piston airguns which then become firearms are helping to insure airguns get regulated like firearms - at least in california. "They" aren't getting that info from this post, they've already figured it out.

Don't worry, it will never pass...How in the hell did that pass?
[/B]

Think past your gun.

Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent.

Last edited by SharedShots; 10-25-2022 at 11:29 AM..
Old 10-25-2022, 5:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A firework has set it off before in my neighborhood so not quite sure if it will detect an air gun shot.
Old 10-26-2022, 1:21 PM

This might be of interest and is relevant to the topic.

https://www.straightshooters.com/dec...f-airguns.html

Seems air rifles get into the mid 90s although some of the newer models might reach higher.

Add in the mix that a 22lr is about 120 db depending on type of firearm used and a shotgun is about 140 (again, depending on type blah blah blah).

The threshold for shot spotters? No idea, maybe someone else can throw that up?

And to consider:

https://earinc.com/gunfire-noise-level-reference-chart/ (I haven't really gone through that data so it's just a toss in.)

Don't worry, it will never pass...How in the hell did that pass?
[/B]

Think past your gun.

Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent.

Last edited by SharedShots; 10-26-2022 at 1:24 PM..
Old 10-27-2022, 1:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It wont detect anything if you cover it with expanding foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 10-29-2022, 5:28 PM
Veteran Member

Most cities on Alameda and Contra Costa have a projectile ordinance. You usually have to be outside city limits regardless of property type.

As the the wizard box detecting air guns, who really knows. I'd imagine there are certain priorities observed by over worked law enforcement agencies.
Old 10-30-2022, 11:11 AM

I think you're overthinking this. Keep your projectiles subsonic, which isn't unreasonable when shooting airguns, use a moderator, and no one will be the wiser. Most airguns sound like a pneumatic stapler or nailer. Really, if you don't tell anyone, no one will know.

I seriously doubt that a shot spotter will home in on the sound of your air rifle.
Old 11-23-2022, 8:36 PM

From my understanding of how shotspotter works, it's not the sound level is the noise signature of the round. People here keep mentioning db levels, shotspotter will work on supressed guns, so db level has nothing to do with it.
Old 11-23-2022, 8:42 PM

I doubt the Airgun will be loud enough to reach 3 shot spotters so they would be able to triangulate a location.

In an unarmed society, the armed criminal is king.
Old 11-24-2022, 1:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I doubt it. Otherwise they'd be detecting tools like 22 nail guns (powder actuated tool).

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 11-24-2022 at 1:18 PM..