Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 09-17-2020, 1:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default SuperSetCA with a new review on the Swampfox 1-8x

These videos have Hollywood quality production.

Old 09-17-2020, 7:21 AM

Someone must work in the 'industry'
Old 09-17-2020, 8:33 AM
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It's always great to have more options. This looks like a great scope for the price.
Old 09-17-2020, 8:46 AM

Im really glad he is making videos again. He took several years off from youtube and there was some serious need for quality optics reviews and top quality videography.

Nulla Fatere, Omnia Nega, Accusatorem Accusa
Old 09-17-2020, 9:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I know that although my Strike Eagle has an illuminated reticle, you can't see any red whatsoever outdoors. I suppose for indoors it helps but I sure don't want a LPVO on a house gun. That SwampFox looked pretty bright, even outdoors.
Old 09-20-2020, 8:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Good for the price point...good people working there...probably made in China, which is a deal breaker, unless someone has evidence to the contrary.
Old 09-21-2020, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911RONIN View Post
probably made in China, which is a deal breaker, unless someone has evidence to the contrary.
For $500? Obvi.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911RONIN View Post
Good for the price point...good people working there...probably made in China, which is a deal breaker, unless someone has evidence to the contrary.
It's made in China. Swampfox has a long thread on AR15dotcom where they're very transparent about their product's manufacturing location. They seem like they're run well and have well designed products, but country of origin is a big factor in making purchasing decisions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2020, 10:51 PM

Wow, thank you for sharing. First time hearing about BDC reticles as I just spent this weekend reading about MOA vs Mil.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:24 PM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthracite View Post
Wow, thank you for sharing. First time hearing about BDC reticles as I just spent this weekend reading about MOA vs Mil.
BDC reticles are nice if you just want something to give you a rough aiming point. They usually work well if you need to get a shot off quickly that will take an animal down or bad guy.

If you want a more precise shot that is not caliber/ammo dependent then perhaps a mil or MOA reticle would be better. That's the way to go for long range shooting.

Another aspect is first or second focal plane. You might want to look into that if you aren't aware of the differences.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
BDC reticles are nice if you just want something to give you a rough aiming point. They usually work well if you need to get a shot off quickly that will take an animal down or bad guy.

If you want a more precise shot that is not caliber/ammo dependent then perhaps a mil or MOA reticle would be better. That's the way to go for long range shooting.

Another aspect is first or second focal plane. You might want to look into that if you aren't aware of the differences.
Thank you. All the outdoor ranges I have been to only go to 100 yards, which I thought was "long range", but a lot of these videos are shooting out to 400+ yards.

I actually just learned about FFP yesterday and am now reading the differences between that and SFP.
Old 09-28-2020, 7:14 AM

Another thread on the Swampfox Arrowhead LPVO
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2020, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post

BDC reticles also work well for training 18-21 year olds with very little knowledge of ballistics.
Old 09-28-2020, 8:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Someday a manufacturer will wise up and put a bright dot in a budget scope. If you can't illuminate a huge circle, just put in a BRIGHT dot. like a Vortex PST-II. Does that really add that much cost?????????????????
Old 09-28-2020, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Someday a manufacturer will wise up and put a bright dot in a budget scope. If you can't illuminate a huge circle, just put in a BRIGHT dot. like a Vortex PST-II. Does that really add that much cost?????????????????
If we're talking Chinese budget scopes, it's obvi how and when those manufacturers will get that tech.

Philippines scopes like the PST and Burris XTR II already have it so it can't be long now.
Old 09-28-2020, 9:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKAllTheThings View Post
If we're talking Chinese budget scopes, it's obvi how and when those manufacturers will get that tech.

Philippines scopes like the PST and Burris XTR II already have it so it can't be long now.
Cause the Chinese have no idea how to steal a technology and a bright single dot is rocket science??
Old 09-28-2020, 9:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

SuperSet does a great job — his videos are top-notch.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 09-28-2020, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Cause the Chinese have no idea how to steal a technology and a bright single dot is rocket science??
The SwampFox guy has said that they don't have access to this tech so their OEM factory hasn't figured it out yet, I'm guessing.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip View Post
SuperSet does a great job — his videos are top-notch.
Considering the production quality and info put out there, it's underviewed and underrated. I hope they keep making videos.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:48 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

I used to shoot with him at Richmond before he moved. Great guy.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Considering the production quality and info put out there, it's underviewed and underrated. I hope they keep making videos.
Yeah, agreed.
But there is a lotta competition, MAC, Garand Thumb, In Range, TFBTV... But SuperSet has a unique style.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 10-01-2020, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah, agreed.
But there is a lotta competition, MAC, Garand Thumb, In Range, TFBTV... But SuperSet has a unique style.
I watch Flannel Daddy just for the Comments section.
Old 10-02-2020, 2:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yeah, agreed.
Garand Thumb is not competition. He talks nice and offers shallow opinion but there's no objective data or real testing. Reminds me of that hickock bozo but nowhere near as bad. I watch GT videos but don't expect to get real info.
Old 10-02-2020, 2:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Garand Thumb is not competition. He talks nice and offers shallow opinion but there's no objective data or real testing. Reminds me of that hickock bozo but nowhere near as bad. I watch GT videos but don't expect to get real info.
I mean, he kind of looks like he knows what he's doing. He's not that bad at all IMHO. Great production value? Funny? Yeah. Intelligent opinions? Yes. Random samples.

Last edited by crufflers; 10-02-2020 at 2:47 PM..
Old 10-02-2020, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
I like GT.

But yeah..us military guys.. we really only know what we're issued so that means M4s/ARs and Glocks. Just look at Warrior Poet Society as another example.

Outside of that, the civilian world knows a lot more.
Old 10-02-2020, 8:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I like GT.

But yeah..us military guys.. we really only know what we're issued so that means M4s/ARs and Glocks. Just look at Warrior Poet Society as another example.

Outside of that, the civilian world knows a lot more.
I don’t think GT was issued a Archon Type B or Primary Arms Glx, etc etc ... he’s a reviewer. Actual combat experience means he’s less full
of tish IMHO.
Old 10-02-2020, 8:56 PM

I think it’s unrealistic to expect a reviewer to be an expert on all their products. We tend to know the ones we were trained on the best was my point.
Old 10-02-2020, 9:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I think it’s unrealistic to expect a reviewer to be an expert on all their products. We tend to know the ones we were trained on the best was my point.
At least they have a genuine point of comparison and real-world experience, tho...

Old 10-03-2020, 6:51 AM

Quote:
At least they have a genuine point of comparison and real-world experience, tho...
Yes, although if we're talking pistols, the ones who have the most 'real-world experience' aren't military guys, it's the LE community.
Old 10-03-2020, 7:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yes, although if we're talking pistols, the ones who have the most 'real-world experience' aren't military guys, it's the LE community.
Right but if you watch his videos, he’s obviously not your average shooter or full
of BS. Anyone who shoots as many rounds as he does and reviews as many guns as he does is not just some MIL guy who had one issued sidearm maybe. He puts in the range time. More than most Youtubers. He shoots a lot of non MIL long guns as well. I’ve never seen someone penalized for having MIL experience, however I do agree that MILSPEC and what LEO’s carry is way overrated. GT is not overrated. IMHO.
Old 10-03-2020, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Right but if you watch his videos, he’s obviously not your average shooter or full
of BS. Anyone who shoots as many rounds as he does and reviews as many guns as he does is not just some MIL guy who had one issued sidearm maybe. He puts in the range time. More than most Youtubers. He shoots a lot of non MIL long guns as well. I’ve never seen someone penalized for having MIL experience, however I do agree that MILSPEC and what LEO’s carry is way overrated. GT is not overrated. IMHO.
He works hard and is a decent shooter. I like GT.