Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 03-04-2019, 4:41 PM

Default Alternative to Taccom pressure plug on the way (potentially)

Ive already stated recently that i have a guy making pressure plug prototypes out of two materials. I was having trouble with my AR22 FTF with an empty buffer tube, and did not want to use a complete buffer in order to acheive proper function when that buffer could be used for another AR15. Well i got them in today. A few things of note that I let him know already, and that he has stated he’ll fix in his next iteration:

- Both plugs protrude a little too far out of the buffer tube, to the point where the BCG is catching onto that ledge. Easy work around, just push the plug in a little to allow the upper receiver to close. But that leads to problem 2:

- The face of the plug (and the whole plug in general) is ridged from production. Those tiny ridges catch onto the BCG after you get it past that protruding edge making it hard to close the receivers shut. Work around is pushing the plug deeper in while trying to close the upper. I pinched my finger doing this but i wasnt being too careful, and i didnt do it again after the first time.

- Pulling the charging handle/bolt back, there is a hollow sound coming from the plug at end range. Tried to catch it on video, but the sound didnt come thru past normal AR cycling sounds.

None of these are huge deals, but from a tester standpoint, I thought it would be helpful for me to give a straight up neutral, non/biased standpoint of my first impressions on install and function.

Otherwise the plugs look like they’ll function perfectly fine. Im going to try and throw 300-400 rounds into each tomorrow night and see if any shows wear.

https://imgur.com/a/R0EnBtJ
Old 03-04-2019, 4:50 PM

Thanks for the update and your observations.

Quick question - can't quite tell from the photo but is the plug tapered such that the rear end is wider/fatter than the front? I'm trying to figure out how it does not get stuck in the buffer tube if pushed "too far" back - and how it would be extracted if it did???????

ARFrog
Old 03-04-2019, 4:52 PM

Interesting, the cmmg conversion doesn't need this because of the closed end rear I'm assuming.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomorro View Post
Interesting, the cmmg conversion doesn't need this because of the closed end rear I'm assuming.

My dedicated PSA 22lr upper has a closed end rear but I had FTF at a high rate. I read that others were able to run their conversion with an empty buffer tube so i tried that and my results were as stated. Popped a spring and buffer in and it worked fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFrog View Post
Thanks for the update and your observations.

Quick question - can't quite tell from the photo but is the plug tapered such that the rear end is wider/fatter than the front? I'm trying to figure out how it does not get stuck in the buffer tube if pushed "too far" back - and how it would be extracted if it did???????
The plug looks to be one thickness throughout, then tapered at the front face. I suggested he possibly allow the rear side of the plug to be recessed to allow it to fall into the inside of the spring, and he said he could do that if i wanted. If you guys in the rimfire forum can help me out on what you would want most, i can relay the message to him. He said he’s very open to suggestions.
Old 03-04-2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd408 View Post
My dedicated PSA 22lr upper has a closed end rear but I had FTF at a high rate. I read that others were able to run their conversion with an empty buffer tube so i tried that and my results were as stated. Popped a spring and buffer in and it worked fine.

The plug looks to be one thickness throughout, then tapered at the front face. I suggested he possibly allow the rear side of the plug to be recessed to allow it to fall into the inside of the spring, and he said he could do that if i wanted. If you guys in the rimfire forum can help me out on what you would want most, i can relay the message to him. He said he’s very open to suggestions.
I ran mine with a standard carbine buffer spring and 9mm heavy qirh no issues with redimag adapter

Old 03-05-2019, 8:23 PM

Shot 350 on the white, 250 on the orange. No FTF. The weird hollow sound i talked about isnt even noticeable/non-existent once firing. Pretty happy with the performance. Cleaning it once im home and checking for any damage or wear, which i doubt.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:55 AM

Just an FYI to those following this thread, production replacements are already available here:

https://borebuddy.com/product/22lr-plug/