Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-16-2018, 10:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up Cheer up, folks. In CA we are winning (but haven't won) the CCW fight!

Too many of us get discouraged because our particular SO won't readily issue CA CCWs. But just like that USA map shows how long the fight has been at the national level, and that we've made great progress nationally, we've done the same within CA.

For example: I just noticed that Kern Co SO passed, for the first time EVER >10,000 issued CCWs! (as of 2017) That's a doubling of the number of CCWs in just 4 years.

This past year, Sheriff Gore of San Diego Co -- the 2nd most populous county behind only LA Co -- has liberalized CCW issuance and now has >1,500 issued. https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

ETA: Thanks to SD Co going green, AFAIK, for the first time EVER the majority (>1/2) of Californians can readily get CCWs!

So I thought I'd share that good news and below is part of two other posts I made. Together, they should give you a serious case of the warm fuzzies and hope for the future....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Now you're seeing why it is and was foolish "to put all your [Carry] eggs in [the federal court] basket."

Instead of pursuing political, and then judicial, and then back to political, and then ... we should have been pursuing both at the same time at whatever level we have an opening. The problem is everyone wants "progress" (that directly benefits them) but they don't want to work for it. They want someone else to do it for them. Sorry. Life just doesn't work that way.... And you can't wait until there's an opening to organize a group and start fighting, you've got to "Be Prepared!" ahead of time so that when the opening comes, you're up and ready to exploit it. Which brings up another grip: gunnies aren't willing to work for small gains, let's say taking a county from light red to yellow, because they still won't be able to get a CCW under it. They are too inpatient, too self-centered and short sighted to see that they are now halfway to light green where many of them can get CCWs.

Despite our foolish strategy, we HAVE made SIGNIFICANT gains in CA in re. to CCWing, as seen by these two maps. The first map (2010 Dec 21) was and is, IMO, mistaken in having San Mateo and San Joaquin counties light green: they probably were light red, or yellow at best. Only Gene H. and Gray or Brandon citing/quoting Gene said SM was light green. No other posters from 2010 to 2014 Feb 13 (date of the CA9 3-judge opinion in Peruta), said they were light green.

If you want to see what it was like in early 2010 and before, you have to also make Sac dark red rather than dark green. Sac was our first major win.

So, now that you have that image in your mind as to what things were like in 2009 -- the coast from Sonoma and the SFBA to the Mexican border was one unbroken chain of anti counties --and look at the current map to see all the progress we have made. We're getting down to the "last holdout" anti counties in CA.

We are winning in CA! Start or keep fighting. Don't wait for the courts.

Quote:
More and more CA sheriffs are being "won" over to our side re. issuing CA CCWs!

More and more CA sheriffs, over the years, have tried liberalizing acceptable GC for their counties and NONE (that I can recall, other than OC for a short while), went back to restrictive issuance. Not only do the vast majority of sheriffs (45 out of 58) readily issue CCWs; not only can residents in the vast majority of the state's territory readily get CCWs, but since SDSO/Gore liberalized issuance last fall, for the first time that I know of, a majority of CA's population (53%) lives in counties where they can readily get CCWs. ETA: For the first time EVER, CA should be about to or has recently passed a total of 100,000 CCWers!

We are winning!

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 08-16-2018 at 8:43 PM..
Old 08-16-2018, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting this. It is interesting how this tends to change over time.

What happened in San Mateo? It went from Light Green to Dark Red.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks but I'm still moving to Arizona where it's really a free state.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
What happened in San Mateo? It went from Light Green to Dark Red.
As I wrote: "The first [map] was and is, IMO, mistaken in having San Mateo and San Joaquin light green: they probably were light red, or yellow at best. (Only Gene H. and Gray or Brandon citing/quoting Gene said SM was light green. No other posters from 2010 to 2014 Feb 13 (date of the CA9 3-judge opinion in Peruta), said they were light green.)"

Old 08-16-2018, 1:29 PM

Would be interesting to see numbers of LTCs issued from the particular counties.
Old 08-16-2018, 2:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Hesekiel View Post
Would be interesting to see numbers of LTCs issued from the particular counties.
If you have a particular county in mind, you can submit a Public Records Act request to them and/or to the state DOJ about them. There should be info re. submitting PRA requests on both the sheriff's and DOJ's websites.

Last edited by Paladin; 08-16-2018 at 4:32 PM..
Old 08-16-2018, 2:48 PM

Quote:
That would be interesting.

I got mine from Gore/SD almost 4 years ago, it was quite a feat. I asked one of the issuing clerks (we are all on first name basis since there are so few of us) about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago when I was adding/swapping a gun, "how many total ccw's in SD county?" Her answer was 1200. That is INCLUDING all judicial and LE. So probably about half of that for private was the consensus I got. Ridiculous, really.

I am aware that Gore has loosened up the noose a little, but not too much.

I am considering moving up to El Dorado County next year, Sheriff John D'Agostini. Supposed to be one of the more "lax" counties in CA for issue. We'll see.

Wish it were Coeur d'Alene I was moving to instead of Tahoe!

Last edited by JohnnieBoy; 08-16-2018 at 2:54 PM..
Old 08-16-2018, 3:05 PM

San Bernardino county is just under 9k issued with another 1k in background stages.

Glad I dont live in LA county!
Old 08-16-2018, 3:32 PM

Thx for the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2018, 4:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieBoy View Post
I got mine from Gore/SD almost 4 years ago, it was quite a feat. I asked one of the issuing clerks (we are all on first name basis since there are so few of us) about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago when I was adding/swapping a gun, "how many total ccw's in SD county?" Her answer was 1200. That is INCLUDING all judicial and LE. So probably about half of that for private was the consensus I got. Ridiculous, really.

IIRC, in the state audit performed last summer of Sac, LA and SD CCW policies & practices, Gore had issued ~500 resident (vs judicial or reserves) CCWs. You can go thru the report to find the exact number and date at: http://www.auditor.ca.gov/pdfs/reports/2017-101.pdf

As of a few weeks ago he's issued 1,577 -- more than tripled the number in 1 year.

The good folks at San Diego County Gun Owners are the ones to thank for this happy state of affairs (and, of course, Sheriff Gore for changing his mind & GC policy). While Gore has liberalized issuance he still doesn't accept mere "self defense" as a sufficient Good Cause statement -- that's why it is now only light green, not dark green, on the CA CCW GC map. That continues to be the goal. If you're not a member of SDCGO, you should be and get all your shooting friends and family to join as well.
https://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/

Last edited by Paladin; 08-16-2018 at 4:41 PM..
Old 08-16-2018, 4:25 PM

Let’s hope the open carry ruling is not overturned (but I think they are going to do an en banc ruling next month) and California goes shall issue to avoid common open carry.
Old 08-16-2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
IIRC, in the state audit performed last summer of Sac, LA and SD CCW policies & practices, Gore had issued ~500 resident (vs judicial or reserves) CCWs. You can go thru the report to find the exact number and date at: http://www.auditor.ca.gov/pdfs/reports/2017-101.pdf

As of a few weeks ago he's issued 1,577 -- more than tripled the number in 1 year.

The good folks at San Diego County Gun Owners are the ones to thank for this happy state of affairs (and, of course, Sheriff Gore for changing his mind & GC policy). While Gore has liberalized issuance he still doesn't accept mere "self defense" as a sufficient Good Cause statement -- that's why it is now only light green, not dark green, on the CA CCW GC map. That continues to be the goal. If you're not a member of SDCGO, you should be and get all your shooting friends and family to join as well.
https://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/
Old 08-17-2018, 6:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Follow the link in my sig line to the CCW table and some of the numbers you are looking for. 2014 is the last year I've been able to find good numbers for. The table needs to be updated again, but numbers can be hard to come by for most counties...
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love. -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Last edited by baggss; 08-17-2018 at 6:37 AM..
Old 08-18-2018, 11:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Default I told you we are winning!

I told you in the OP I guessed we had or were about to pass, for the first time EVER, >100,000 CA CCWs. Looks like on 2018 March 12 we had 108,000 CCWs!

From p.12 of:
https://poseidon01.ssrn.com/delivery...127118&EXT=pdf

ETA: I expect this year, 2018, to be our BEST year EVER! Why? Because many agencies switched to online applications in 2017, but, naturally, there were some hickups/teething pains. All those have been worked out and now we'll see a good steam of apps being smoothly and quickly issued. If/when Sheriff Gore switches SDSO to online apps, that will be another boost.

Last edited by Paladin; 08-18-2018 at 12:06 PM..
Old 12-05-2018, 10:11 PM
Calguns Addict

"Little by little," we just keep winning, folks!

LA County is now light red to reflect the campaign promise Villanueva made.

Quote:
Villanueva says he would issue more concealed carry permits than McDonnell, "who is basically issuing none" (there are about 200 people in L.A. County with these permits), but fewer than Lindsey, "who wants to basically hand them out like candy."

To establish whether an applicant has "good cause" to be issued a concealed carry permit, Villanueva says he would consider whether there’s a "documentable" threat to the applicant’s safety, and whether the applicant lives or works in remote locations without immediate access to first responders.
From: https://www.scpr.org/news/2018/06/01...la-sheriff-ji/

Sounds like he'll be very restrictive, but at least he'll consistently follow his very restrictive policy and issue vs McDonnell, who had a very restrictive policy, but didn't issue to people who met it and did issue to people who didn't....

My GUESS is LA Co will go from a couple of hundred CCWs to a few thousand over the next few years. Still no chance for most gunnies, but it is a step closer to light green....

Imperial Co was switched from dark red to light red because we do not have any recent evidence it is still dark red, and dark red discourages anyone from applying. Better to make it light red and have people with really strong GC apply and let us know how it goes, and adjust it from there.

Last, San Diego Co, under Sheriff Gore, should break 2,000 CCWs for the first time EVER by New Year's Day.

Bottom line: we just keep winning and, so far, no losses.

Last edited by Paladin; 12-06-2018 at 10:33 PM..
Old 12-06-2018, 12:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieBoy View Post

At this point I think I have to disagree with this. In reality he has loosened it up tremendously. He's gone from essentially not issuing at all, to a person being able to get one if they're willing to jump through the hoops. No it's not "shall issue." But if you're willing to put in the time and effort, you can get one. That is a huge improvement from what it once was.

Fighter Pilot
Old 12-06-2018, 12:41 AM

I spoke with the CA DOJ the other day.

I asked that they publish the crime rate of CCW publically like Texas does.

They fund a lot of their own DOJ pensions with our fees, and they should advocate for us. CCW have a crime rate that is 30x lower than the rest of the population, and the people should know that!
Old 12-06-2018, 9:48 PM

Thanks for helping to keep us positive, Palidin! It’s a long uphill battle, but I agree we’re slowly making progress.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbauer View Post
Thanks for helping to keep us positive, Palidin! It’s a long uphill battle, but I agree we’re slowly making progress.
You're welcome!

Teaser: we should be making even more progress next month, in January when most of the new sheriff's take office calling for yet another revision in the map: 1 county with major improvement, 1 county with minor improvement and 1 county is as yet undetermined change, if any.