Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-04-2019, 8:22 PM

Okay, I’ll start off by saying I believe this is the wrong place to post this, BUT I also think we might get the most attention by posting this here.

That said, mods, if there’s a better spot to post this, feel free to move it.

I got this in my email today from Congressman Mark DeSaulnier(and immediately RSVP’d) for this town hall:

Gun Violence Prevention Town Hall

(page 1)

(page 2)

Anybody else want to go and share your opinion with our congressman?
Old 02-04-2019, 9:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbauer View Post
Okay, I’ll start off by saying I believe this is the wrong place to post this, BUT I also think we might get the most attention by posting this here.

That said, mods, if there’s a better spot to post this, feel free to move it.

I got this in my email today from Congressman Mark DeSaulnier(and immediately RSVP’d) for this town hall:

Gun Violence Prevention Town Hall

(page 1)

(page 2)

Anybody else want to go and share your opinion with our congressman?

From responses in Claycord.com re: this town hall, he only answers ‘approved’ questions. Nobody really gets to ask questions. He only responds from questions from index cards. They are probably questions he thought of and has canned responses to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 02-05-2019, 7:21 AM

For those of you in other parts of the State who might not know anything about this guy, be advised that he started his political career as a County Supervisor in Contra Costa County, which has a population of about one million.

As Supervisor, he, along with his liberal colleagues, ruined the County's finances by giving the store away to public employee unions. Now, the county has pension and benefit obligations it can't pay. The liberals know it but won't fix it. This is a real elephant in the room and it isn't going away.

DeSaulnier is a genuine leftist liberal.

“You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We’ll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we’ll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. ” (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 02-22-2019, 7:40 PM

Does transporting silver/gold bullion, along with having an 03 FFL (the implication being that I frequently transport potentially valuable firearms) sound like it stands a chance in terms of "good cause"? Would I have to demonstrate an actual dollar amount of how much I transport?
Old 02-22-2019, 8:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgp17 View Post
Does transporting silver/gold bullion, along with having an 03 FFL (the implication being that I frequently transport potentially valuable firearms) sound like it stands a chance in terms of "good cause"? Would I have to demonstrate an actual dollar amount of how much I transport?
FWIW-and I have zero experience in this...I would say yes. Somehow document the amounts of the silver/gold being transported and/or deposits being made. However, I'm sure Paladin will be along soon to chime in.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 02-23-2019, 11:41 AM

I say, generally, that everyone who wants a CCW should give it a shot (no pun intended). Most will get turned down, but those of us who have been rejected merely because we were deemed not to have shown "good cause" are becoming a large class for future litigation.

I have kept all my documentation from my application and rejection by the Contra Costa County Sheriff. And I was/am a Church Treasurer transporting deposits to the bank. I guess faith in God doesn't count, either.

“You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We’ll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we’ll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. ” (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 02-23-2019, 12:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Why can't you? Why wouldn't you?

I laid out the best advice I know of in the following thread. I've since tweaked it so that it also applies to most other non-green counties. I'd even suggest following it if you live in a light green county and want to avoid any problems with your application.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1482924

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 02-23-2019, 1:45 PM

If you thought that would help, your situational awareness may need a tuneup. You’re in California.

And the Bible says “to die is gain” so you are better off without a CCW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
I guess faith in God doesn't count, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-27-2019, 10:04 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm really disappointed in how quiet this thread has been, esp since I "cracked the code" of getting a CoCoCoSO CCW back in mid-Oct -- over 5 months ago -- and posted it publicly at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1482924

There are literally THOUSANDS of folks in CoCoCo who can get issued under "yellow": RE agents, esp females; small business owners (or managers?) making regular cash deposits -- think of how many gas stations, convenience stores, sandwich shops, fast food joints, hair salons/barber shops, clothing stores, landlords/property managers who collect rents, jewelers, etc are in the county.

Yet only a handful of people, if that, have said they'll now apply.

Even if you won't qualify under yellow, you have an interest in seeing as many people who do qualify now apply and get issued now. The more comfortable Livingston, the press, and everyone else gets in having CCWers in CoCoCo (without bad incidents), the sooner he'll liberalize issuance even more, getting to where you do qualify.

Time for you CoCoCo folk to organize to make sure every range and gun shop knows that Livingston is issuing and who & how to be successful in applying (my Advice thread linked above).

Personally, I'd LOVE to see CoCoCo go light green on the CA CCW GC map.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-27-2019 at 10:48 PM..
Old 03-28-2019, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I'm really disappointed in how quiet this thread has been, esp since I "cracked the code" of getting a CoCoCoSO CCW back in mid-Oct -- over 5 months ago -- and posted it publicly at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1482924

There are literally THOUSANDS of folks in CoCoCo who can get issued under "yellow": RE agents, esp females; small business owners (or managers?) making regular cash deposits -- think of how many gas stations, convenience stores, sandwich shops, fast food joints, hair salons/barber shops, clothing stores, landlords/property managers who collect rents, jewelers, etc are in the county.

Yet only a handful of people, if that, have said they'll now apply.

Even if you won't qualify under yellow, you have an interest in seeing as many people who do qualify now apply and get issued now. The more comfortable Livingston, the press, and everyone else gets in having CCWers in CoCoCo (without bad incidents), the sooner he'll liberalize issuance even more, getting to where you do qualify.

Time for you CoCoCo folk to organize to make sure every range and gun shop knows that Livingston is issuing and who & how to be successful in applying (my Advice thread linked above).

Personally, I'd LOVE to see CoCoCo go light green on the CA CCW GC map.
Paladin, thanks for staying on this. I applied 2-3 years ago; my good cause is that I am a church treasurer and transport money from church collections to the bank. I also cited self defense. I am a Navy veteran, retired banker, absolutely clean criminal record, long time resident of CoCoCo, etc. Had a nice interview with a Lt. whose name I forget, and was rejected. I have kept all the paperwork and the rejection letter, so that if a class action ever gets organized, I can be a legit member of the aggrieved class.

I don't know what else to do.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Paladin, thanks for staying on this. I applied 2-3 years ago; my good cause is ....
I'd guess you were on the edge of acceptance. Would you do anything differently having reviewed my Advice thread? https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1482924

If so, you may want to reapply. If I'm reading it correctly, you only pay for LiveScan prior to GC determination. If you get approved, you then have to pay for training and application fees. http://www.cocosheriff.org/howdoi/ccw_permit.htm

Quote:
I don't know what else to do.
As I wrote back at the end of January...

Quote:
What we really need is a group of CoCoCo residents to divide up and visit all the CoCoCo ranges and local gun shops to show the CA CCW GC map to them, to show them my CoCoCo CCW Advice thread and to get them to inform their customers so that everyone who wants a CCW and can get issued by Livingston applies and gets issued. The sooner you get more GGs CCWs in CoCoCo, the safer you all will be. (No, I don't live in CoCoCo...)
As you grow a group (easy to do on FB, as other gunnies in SoCal have done), they'll bring in their skills/talents, so natural leaders, managers and organizers will arise making the work that much easier and more effective.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-28-2019 at 11:02 AM..
Old 04-15-2019, 8:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Looking over the CCW app process at http://www.cocosheriff.org/howdoi/ccw_permit.htm

Looks like, to get a GC determination, the applicant has to pay for the Live Scan. But it looks like the applicant does NOT have to pay ANY fees to the country prior to getting a GC determination. True???

Old 04-15-2019, 8:58 AM

Paladin, thanks for your good advice and positive encouragement.

Old 04-15-2019, 9:10 AM

Yes that's accurate. I think they use the Live Scan as the first filter. You don't pay any county fees until you pick up your permit.

Quote:
Looking over the CCW app process at http://www.cocosheriff.org/howdoi/ccw_permit.htm

Looks like, to get a GC determination, the applicant has to pay for the Live Scan. But it looks like the applicant does NOT have to pay ANY fees to the country prior to getting a GC determination. True???
Old 04-17-2019, 9:38 PM
Veteran Member

Default Contra Costa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal View Post
Yes that's accurate. I think they use the Live Scan as the first filter. You don't pay any county fees until you pick up your permit.

I believe that you have to pay for the class/training before you’re issued right? It’s done at the sheriffs dept range or something like that right? I know it’s not an outside class.

Or do they approve you pending the training live fire class?

M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 04-18-2019, 7:34 AM

You are approved pending successful completion of the "training class." You don't pay for the class up front, you just pay all the fees (except for live scan) when your permit is ready to pick up.

Note: This class is commonly referred to as a training class, but the formal instruction is in the classroom and concerns legalities and policies (at least for renewals, I have not taken the "new permit" 8-hour class). It is not a firearms manipulation or shooting training class, the live fire part is just a qualification. It's expected you'll show up knowing how to safely draw, shoot, reload, and reholster. (If you're really bad or unsafe you will receive some one-on-one training/correction.)

It is troubling that many permit holders complete this class and consider themselves "trained", having never pursued (or not pursuing on an ongoing basis) actual firearms training. For some, the last time they fired their guns was two years ago at the last qualification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Or do they approve you pending the training live fire class?
Old 04-18-2019, 2:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You are approved pending successful completion of the "training class." You don't pay for the class up front, you just pay all the fees (except for live scan) when your permit is ready to pick up.

Note: This class is commonly referred to as a training class, but the formal instruction is in the classroom and concerns legalities and policies (at least for renewals, I have not taken the "new permit" 8-hour class). It is not a firearms manipulation or shooting training class, the live fire part is just a qualification. It's expected you'll show up knowing how to safely draw, shoot, reload, and reholster. (If you're really bad or unsafe you will receive some one-on-one training/correction.)

It is troubling that many permit holders complete this class and consider themselves "trained", having never pursued (or not pursuing on an ongoing basis) actual firearms training. For some, the last time they fired their guns was two years ago at the last qualification.
Thanks for correcting the terminology.

FWIW, the Live Scan cost was $20 where I went (PM me for info). They added FBI/DOJ fees for a total of $113.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 04-21-2019, 10:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Six months have gone by since I posted my Advice thread on getting a CCW in CoCoCo, yet no one has posted their experience with actually applying. Has no one tried??? Where has everyone gone? Have they all just given up?

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1482924

Last edited by Paladin; 04-21-2019 at 10:29 AM..
Old 04-21-2019, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Six months have gone by since I posted my Advice thread on getting a CCW in CoCoCo, yet no one has posted their experience with actually applying. Has no one tried??? Where has everyone gone? Have they all just given up?

Mine is in process. Just did the Live Scan this past week. Will keep everyone updated. Not holding my breath, but I DO appreciate all of your help personally and your input on this forum. Many thanks to others who have helped and contributed too.

M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 04-21-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:

I very much appreciate your research and advice, but unfortunately don't have the heightened good cause to qualify here. Best I can do is that I ride BART a few days each week, but even if I could carry my SF based employer would fire me if they found out I brought firearm into the building. :-(

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2019, 8:19 PM

I know one who was approved and another two who will be applying soon.
Old 04-22-2019, 3:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

True.

You do the live scan. You get an interview. If you're approved you then take the class and 0ay the fees when you pick up your permit.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

Last edited by bigbossman; 04-22-2019 at 3:46 PM..
Old 04-22-2019, 8:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadagoose View Post
I very much appreciate your research and advice, but unfortunately don't have the heightened good cause to qualify here. Best I can do is that I ride BART a few days each week, but even if I could carry my SF based employer would fire me if they found out I brought firearm into the building. :-(
I should make explicit what is implicit in the map when it says the actual practice may be off by 1 color/shade -- if a county is yellow, but your GC is only light green, if you can afford to waste the time, money and effort involved with applying, you should apply. Why? Because I ALWAYS see a range of approved GCs, with some spilling over into the next easier GC category. But we set the color of the county by what is the rule, not the exceptions to the rule. But, if you really want a CCW, you can apply and hope to also be an exception. What's the worst they'll do, deny you and you'll remain unarmed?

Quote:
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
If you can, please set your phone's app to eliminate this.

Old 04-24-2019, 4:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I should make explicit what is implicit in the map when it says the actual practice may be off by 1 color/shade -- if a county is yellow, but your GC is only light green, if you can afford to waste the time, money and effort involved with applying, you should apply. Why? Because I ALWAYS see a range of approved GCs, with some spilling over into the next easier GC category. But we set the color of the county by what is the rule, not the exceptions to the rule. But, if you really want a CCW, you can apply and hope to also be an exception. What's the worst they'll do, deny you and you'll remain unarmed?

If you can, please set your phone's app to eliminate this.

Wait, so something’s that’s so implicit that it’s explicit? Or the other way around? Lol!

Seriously though, I really appreciate all of the time, effort and work you’ve put into these threads!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 04-25-2019, 9:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Wait, so something’s that’s so implicit that it’s explicit? Or the other way around? Lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcRRaXV-fg

Old 04-27-2019, 1:14 PM
Calguns Addict

In case there's anyone who lives in CoCoCo (I don't) who wants to do something they can do from home to promote CoCoCo SO CCWs, just look at what these SoCal folk are doing on Facebook and do similar, for either the entire county and/or major CoCoCo cities:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1507548

Someone should make a thread for CoCoCo city PDs like my thread on Santa Clara Co city PDs and their policies re. issuing CCWs: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1473741
Plus, you can't get ready too early for the next sheriff's election. It's only 3 years away (2022 June) and the candidates have to file ~2.5 years away (2022 Feb, IIRC) and if, rather than being passive, you want to be active in identifying and encouraging a pro-CCW candidate to run, that knocks off another half year and if you want to undermine the incumbent's support to weaken them, that pushes it back to summer 2021 -- just 2 years away. Not much time to build up an organization large enough to swing a sheriff's election.

To see what it took San Diego Co Gun Owners to get Gore to change his Good Cause policy and start readily issuing CCWs, see: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1473169

Last edited by Paladin; 04-27-2019 at 1:23 PM..
Old 04-29-2019, 10:41 AM
Calguns Addict

If someone wants to do something useful re. CoCoCo & CCWs, they can submit a Public Records Act (PRA) request for the number of active 2-year standard (non-judicial, non-reserve), CCWs for each of the past 5 years on Dec 31st of each year. You can find out how to do this at: http://www.co.contra-costa.ca.us/2345/Public-Records

This is one of those things I'd like to do, but don't have time for and rather than just dump it, as I was about to do, I thought I'd suggest it to CGNers who actually live in CoCoCo (I don't) to do for themselves.

Hopefully, come next Dec 31st, there will be a significant increase in the number due to my CoCoCo SO CCW Advice thread.

Old 04-30-2019, 9:03 AM

Quote:
I see these topics more and more. Just researched for a Non-Res Oregon permit and a few issuing agencies are saying "Gun Free" or "No Firearms Allowed" Are prohibiting folks from carry inside those establishments. Here in CA, those signs are NOT enforceable, and in a good number of states this liberal safety zone isnt enforced either. Its rather a "tresspassing" violation at most if you dont leave after the business asks you to. Why am i going forward with this, i have a buddy who works for a company as a a Senior HVAC Tech and building supervisor, with CCW and always carries. There is no company policy against it, his stance is at night there are always crazies and he doesnt want to be caught off guard. (seems legit enough for me).
Thats also in a more conservative state..

IT would be difficult to battle that here, or in SF. But prior to applying and possibly getting your license, talk to you building management, see if there is any policy regarding firearms (might be online, published or posted) See if your compay has a policy. and keep a good eye on places you go in/around SF and see if there are any barriers you would have to encounter on a day to day basis (aka gun free zones)

I always go with, concealed is concealed, and noone should know your carrying. Good holsters go along way. Not a lawyer, no advocating advice, just my $0.02.

I will not be working for a company/business/entity who has strong oppositions or policies against carrying firearms at work ( at minimal, they should be able to be kept in a vehicle on the premisis).
Old 04-30-2019, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalniro View Post
I see these topics more and more. Just researched for a Non-Res Oregon permit and a few issuing agencies are saying "Gun Free" or "No Firearms Allowed" Are prohibiting folks from carry inside those establishments. Here in CA, those signs are NOT enforceable, and in a good number of states this liberal safety zone isnt enforced either. Its rather a "tresspassing" violation at most if you dont leave after the business asks you to. Why am i going forward with this, i have a buddy who works for a company as a a Senior HVAC Tech and building supervisor, with CCW and always carries. There is no company policy against it, his stance is at night there are always crazies and he doesnt want to be caught off guard. (seems legit enough for me).

Thats also in a more conservative state..

IT would be difficult to battle that here, or in SF. But prior to applying and possibly getting your license, talk to you building management, see if there is any policy regarding firearms (might be online, published or posted) See if your compay has a policy. and keep a good eye on places you go in/around SF and see if there are any barriers you would have to encounter on a day to day basis (aka gun free zones)

I always go with, concealed is concealed, and noone should know your carrying. Good holsters go along way. Not a lawyer, no advocating advice, just my $0.02.

I will not be working for a company/business/entity who has strong oppositions or policies against carrying firearms at work ( at minimal, they should be able to be kept in a vehicle on the premisis).
Thanks for the reply. I'd be good to go on public transportation, but I've checked and my employer does have a policy against weapons on site. They are very left leaning.
Old 05-04-2019, 3:16 PM

Can someone who has a permit from CCC confirm if you can carry off roster guns? And wether or not 1911-style guns are OK?
Old 05-04-2019, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Can someone who has a permit from CCC confirm if you can carry off roster guns? And wether or not 1911-style guns are OK?
Yes and no.
Old 05-04-2019, 5:45 PM

Off roster is approved almost state wide. If the weapon wasn’t purchased, ever “registered” or dros’d in the state you’ll need to self report it to DOJ. Took me 4 months to have one off roster handgun to be added to my license. For safety I also blocked my mags to 10 from 15rds.

Lots of folks carry off roster weapons
Old 05-13-2019, 8:50 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm moving this part of a post over here to avoid threadjacking the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
You were denied in CoCo because everyone gets denied in CoCo.
From 2013 Nov 20:
Quote:
Contra Costa: 205
More at: https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...apons-permits/

From 2017 Feb 21:
Quote:
According to Nate McCormack, Lieutenant with the Sheriffs Office, he cited safety and privacy concerns as to why addresses were not released.

“We try and balance the needs of the public and the people who want or need access to the information to ensure everyone’s safety,” said McCormack.

McCormack says that currently, the county has 317 CCW permits issued with 290 of them being to regular citizens. He also added that 17% of all applicants are approved.
More at: http://eastcountytoday.net/sheriffs-...tions-to-abc7/

I interviewed via PMs several CGNers who have CoCoCo SO CCWs (and a few who were denied). From them, I learned about even more CoCoCo residents who got SO CCWs. I worked everything I learned into a thread that, IMO, is the best info I've seen on applying for a CA CCW not only in CoCoCo, but also in ANY non-green county. (And it probably wouldn't hurt those applying in a light green county either.) That's why it is now a sticky at the top of the Concealed Carry County Information Forum: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1482924 And, no, I don't live in CoCoCo....

Quote:
Another CoCo application approved today.

I continue in my belief that specific events that have occurred to/around you do not typically meet the good cause standard. Most the "this happened to me" I've seen floated as good cause:
  • Are just unfortunate isolated events. Try to string isolated events together and you look paranoid.
  • Are being used to suggest a personal targeting that cannot really be established
  • Do not indicate an unavoidable ongoing elevated threat
  • Are often not even lethal force situations ("My car has been broken into three times!")
  • Have more to do with fear than any specific threat

A common application rejection is "The mere fear of future victimization is not sufficient cause for issuance of a CCW."

Be smart, don't put yourself in any of those buckets.

Last edited by Paladin; 05-13-2019 at 9:33 PM.. Reason: The Golden Rule....
Old 05-14-2019, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm moving this part of a post over here to avoid threadjacking the other thread.

From 2013 Nov 20: More at: https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...apons-permits/

From 2017 Feb 21:
More at: http://eastcountytoday.net/sheriffs-...tions-to-abc7/

I interviewed via PMs several CGNers who have CoCoCo SO CCWs (and a few who were denied). From them, I learned about even more CoCoCo residents who got SO CCWs. I worked everything I learned into a thread that, IMO, is the best info I've seen on applying for a CA CCW not only in CoCoCo, but also in ANY non-green county. (And it probably wouldn't hurt those applying in a light green county either.) That's why it is now a sticky at the top of the Concealed Carry County Information Forum: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1482924 And, no, I don't live in CoCoCo....

Thank you Paladin!

If I ever get to the next stage after the Live Scan, I’ll let everyone know.

M&P 15 (Mine)