Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Private Firearms Sales - Handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Private Firearms Sales - Handguns For the private sale of handguns. Read the rules before posting.

View Poll Results: How would you prefer the Marketplace forums to be laid out
'Original Recipe', all in one big forum 202 10.39%
Split by firearm type (Handgun/Long gun) 661 33.98%
Split by location, geographic line 742 38.15%
Split by location, seller based determination 340 17.48%
Voters: 1945. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2014, 11:17 PM

I've made deals with people from NorCal. Sometimes travel plans align.

The geography thing is only a problem when people ignore the rules and don't put their location in the thread title. And even then it only takes two clicks to see that it's on the other side of the state and not worth making something happen.

The occasional irrelevant thread with no location in title is a small price to pay for finding a rare gem that I might have to drive a few hours for.
Old 11-12-2014, 5:04 AM

Location in the title should be mandatory. Allow thread crapping in threads posted without title until poster fixes issue or mods delete.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:18 PM

I mostly scan the titles. Put the description, location, and price in the title. If I'm interested, then I'll open the thread. Two clicks on a slow PC is a lifetime, when you only have minutes a day to browse.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

I say segregate the locales.
Old 01-09-2015, 5:23 PM

I always search with keywords usually geographic words. So Norcal/SoCal would be nice but also dividing them again in Long gun and handgun those specific sections would be an even better idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Message me if you have the following:

PreLock Smith & Wesson Revolvers
Performance Center 1911

XDm 5.25 40sw

10mm ANYTHING , AMMO, PISTOLS, ETC
Old 01-10-2015, 5:10 PM
Banned

As I've said numerous times before, just place in the 'Search this Forum' box the city, and/or type firearm that you are looking for .. I do believe the present system works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifilef View Post
I like the Marketplace just the way it is when using the Search function.

It is set up with a forum long guns and one for handguns. If one wants to know if a particular seller is listing in either forum, just click on seller's Profile and look at threads recently posted or commented upon, or just PM the seller.

If one wants to know which long guns or hand guns are listed for instance, in San Diego, go to the thread display for that forum and do a 'Search this Forum' and type in San Diego,

It then displays all the local transactions where seller or person wishing to trade has mentioned San Diego. Very helpful to ascertain which handguns or long guns are being offered in your area.

One can likewise do such a city Search under the WTB forum and find out what the locals want to buy.

Last edited by ifilef; 01-10-2015 at 7:02 PM..
Old 01-20-2015, 3:08 PM

i wish the for sale forum can be categorized by the seller's location first and then enable the search in that particular categories by type.

since i got my first handgun, this for sale forum is like an addiction... but often times, i find a gun i really wanted and then suddenly location wise is not listed in the subject or when i find out seller is in socal.

if location can be set as priority first and then allow me to search for what i want.. then at least i'll know those sellers are within the area that's close to me.

just my new year's wish... thanks~

oh btw, i think we can get rid of the WTB section, since i've posted several but never even heard from sellers. I find it easier to search for it by contacting the seller directly in the FS forum.
Old 02-02-2015, 4:44 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

North of Bakersfield, South of Bakersfield. For those that actually live in Bakersfield... well you have bigger things to worry about.

(This coming from a guy that lives in Victorville)

I think a geographical split or as another member mentioned, perhaps a mandatory location in the thread title.
Old 02-04-2015, 5:36 PM
Banned

A subsection under the main section (handgun) where it can be separated by location, I think would work very well.

Limit the single post count to the main section (1 per handgun/long gun/...) to prevent multiple area listings.

Good luck
Old 02-26-2015, 1:28 PM

Stuff haven't changed in the private sales section for at least 5 years since I joined so nothing will change anyway. A northern vs southern CA area would definitely help filter out most of the listings for me since 70%of listings are SoCal listings.
Old 02-26-2015, 1:35 PM
小さな女性
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenzaZ View Post
Stuff haven't changed in the private sales section for at least 5 years since I joined so nothing will change anyway. A northern vs southern CA area would definitely help filter out most of the listings for me since 70%of listings are SoCal listings.
That is technically incorrect. The long guns and handguns were combined in July of 2013, then they separated at a later time. I agree though for a change between Southern CA., and Northern CA.
Quote:
Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
-Milton Friedman

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic164573_1.gif
Old 03-31-2015, 12:29 PM

Yes I agree there need to be a split between NorCal and SoCal. I live in SoCal and can't count how many times i saw a gun I wanted then realized it was in Northern California.
Old 03-31-2015, 3:10 PM

Default North and Southern California Seperation

I would also like to see a seperation between Northern and Southern California for Sales.
Old 03-31-2015, 6:46 PM

I like the way its working now, Most people put an area in the title bar, that works well for me.
Depending on the gun I may drive more or less for it.
I'm not usually in the market for both and the LG / HG split helps me narrow my reading by a good bit.
Old 03-31-2015, 6:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by softmentor View Post
I like the way its working now, Most people put an area in the title bar, that works well for me.
I'm not usually in the market for both and the LG / HG split helps me narrow my reading by a good bit.
I agree and have driven over 4 hours each way for HG's more than once and have met fellow Calgunners half way with two/three drives each way.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Old 04-01-2015, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softmentor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
I agree and have driven over 4 hours each way for HG's more than once and have met fellow Calgunners half way with two/three drives each way.

Well in that case you would be able to just check both sub sections. Even if you live in SoCal you will still have access to the NorCal section, but would be up to you to check it. It will help filter out the NorCal posts to their own section and make it less cluttered for the people in SoCal who aren't willing to drive 4-8 hours for a gun.
Old 04-01-2015, 6:22 AM

Being in the Bay Area, I would also like to see the split by north/south but I think the issue is where to split? Anyone near that split gets screwed too.
As time has gone by, the titles have location listed in them more and more.
Old 04-01-2015, 3:38 PM

Default Choosing a Marketplace Layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliedad View Post
Being in the Bay Area, I would also like to see the split by north/south but I think the issue is where to split? Anyone near that split gets screwed too.

As time has gone by, the titles have location listed in them more and more.

I'd say consider anything from Bakersfield and up part of NorCal and anything south of Bakersfield would be SoCal.

Or even easier let the users who are kind of in the middle decide what section they should post in to get the best results in their sale.

The main posts I wish I didn't have to sort through would be the ones from the Bay Area, Fresno and Sacramento areas. Those are pretty far from SoCal.
Old 04-03-2015, 8:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Just make people enter their zip code in a new field and search by distance.
Old 05-05-2015, 2:30 PM
Veteran Member

For the love of dog can we include "please put pictures" in the "new thread" template that is automatically there when you click new thread. Its a epidemic of no picture threads!
Old 05-05-2015, 3:43 PM

Northern and Southern Cal are each so big that it could still end up irrelevant. I would prefer a Long/Hand gun split.
Old 05-06-2015, 1:06 PM

I for the NorCal/SoCal split.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Old 05-06-2015, 2:41 PM

If you do a Norcal/ Socal split, the guys in Fresno are going to be like cats in a tennis court.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen". Sam Adams
Old 05-06-2015, 5:14 PM

The distance to do a PPT is a huge factor in addition to the price and condition. Most people would not drive twice unless it was something extra special. I skip the majority of the ads that are more than 100 miles away.

On the plus side, I have learned the geographical location of a lot of small towns. I am in the Los Angeles area and I would consider driving to Bakersfield a long distance. It is more than 500 miles to do the trip twice. It would really need to be something special and on the assumption that nothing is being falsely represented.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:50 AM

Default Choosing a Marketplace Layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz45 View Post
Northern and Southern Cal are each so big that it could still end up irrelevant. I would prefer a Long/Hand gun split.

Ummm there is already a Long/Hand gun split.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Voted geographic. Not entirely displeased with the type split, though
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14
Old 08-15-2015, 3:02 PM

It would be very helpful if there was a geographic split of Northern and Southern California. I'm in Sacramento and there's just no way I'm going to travel to L.A., Orange County or any other Southern Cal region to buy any weapon.

I'm guessing that for most transactions they happen within 100 mile radius. Few people travel the whole State.

North / South is really basic. I'd rather see North / Central / South and within each sub-regions encompassing major cities, counties or an East / West split.

There are enough users and Calguns is robust enough to support such splits.

Spending a couple of hundred dollars in gas to travel multiple times 3, 4, 5 or 6+ hours for a gun that's anywhere from $400 to $800 or so is a non-stater for most. And from what I see, most transactions are sub $1,000.

This idea that folks like to "look" at all the guns available in a single thread may make sense in a State where shipping is common or the geographic span is 3 hours or so, but in California with its painful restrictions, it really limits most people to in person transactions and the geographic distances are huge.

Just imagine someone in PA traveling to GA to pick up a firearm. Those are the distances we're talking about. I lived in Europe and 8-9hrs would span several countries!

It's fun to see the gun you want is out there, but frustrating to see that it's 6, 7, 8 or 9+ hours away.

Hell, Reno is closer to me. Traveling 9hrs would take me to Salt Lake City, Utah. 5hrs and I'm in Medford, Oregon. 8.5hrs and I'm in Twin Falls, Idaho. Las Vegas is closer to me than some places in Southern Ca.

And that's not taking into account California traffic!! Take that into account and I can travel to every adjacent State and beyond!

https://cdn0.iconfinder.com/data/icons/flags-of-the-world-2/128/united-states-3-512.png

U.S. Army SGT 3ID 1st BN 30th IN Veteran DAV '84-'88 (Germany) | G43, P99C, PPS / PPQ M1 (Classic), HK P2000

War Is a Racket by Two-time Medal of Honor recipient, USMC MG Smedley Butler

Best Place to Retire
Old 08-15-2015, 7:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It works for me the way it is.

I just do a search for my town. Thins things out nicely.
Old 08-15-2015, 7:39 PM

I have to add now that I do take in what's being offered down south. Not that I'd make that drive but seeing what's going on is interesting.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliedad View Post
I have to add now that I do take in what's being offered down south. Not that I'd make that drive but seeing what's going on is interesting.
That's exactly my point.

Maybe we should do a poll to figure out how far people are willing to drive for a sub $1,000 purchase.

I think a lot of users like to look at what's trading and for how much in other parts of the State, but that doesn't really reflect the local market prices.

For example, a firearm that's $450 in L.A. where the same firearm that's posted as $500 in S.F. and $550 in Sacramento.

If the buyer is in Sacramento, it'd cost them a lot more than $100 to travel to L.A. and more than $50 to travel to S.F.

Don't get me wrong, I like to look too, but it's easier for me to just click on another thread to see what's selling in SoCal. Yes, I can do a search for Sacramento in the title, but that may miss a NorCal labeled listing. And yes, I know that I can do multiple searches.

But what we find in most marketplaces ie. Craigslist, etc. is that they're organized by major cities. It's the way virtually all marketplaces are organized where shipping is uncommon.

If shipping is the norm ie. Amazon, then location doesn't matter.

https://cdn0.iconfinder.com/data/icons/flags-of-the-world-2/128/united-states-3-512.png

U.S. Army SGT 3ID 1st BN 30th IN Veteran DAV '84-'88 (Germany) | G43, P99C, PPS / PPQ M1 (Classic), HK P2000

War Is a Racket by Two-time Medal of Honor recipient, USMC MG Smedley Butler

Best Place to Retire
Old 09-22-2015, 10:45 AM
CGN Contributor

I'd like to see "county" required in the title. In my case searching for "Ventura" misses listings for nearby cities like Oxnard, Simi, etc.
Old 10-23-2015, 7:37 PM

I always search using location because we need to PPT most guns in california. Can we change the marketplace broken down into general locations? Say from SFO north, middle and SoCal?
Old 11-08-2015, 6:46 PM

I have a Q about proper selling etiquette and didn't know where to post it. If a buyer declars that he will take an item and then doesn't get back to the seller in 4 or 5 days should the seller consider the buyer as flaking out or should the seller keep waiting for this buyer?

This just happened to me, I waited a good 4 or 5 days with no response from the buyer so I put the item back up and sold it to someone else, the original buyer just messaged me today on the item which is now over a week past him saying he'll take it. as a seller that is out of work and in need of money I felt 5 days was long enough, was I in the right or wrong?
Old 11-08-2015, 7:13 PM
CGSSA Leader
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by milsurpseller View Post
I have a Q about proper selling etiquette and didn't know where to post it. If a buyer declars that he will take an item and then doesn't get back to the seller in 4 or 5 days should the seller consider the buyer as flaking out or should the seller keep waiting for this buyer?

This just happened to me, I waited a good 4 or 5 days with no response from the buyer so I put the item back up and sold it to someone else, the original buyer just messaged me today on the item which is now over a week past him saying he'll take it. as a seller that is out of work and in need of money I felt 5 days was long enough, was I in the right or wrong?
You did fine, 5 days is more than enough time to determine someone is a flake.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:00 PM

California is a pain because you cannot ship gun easily. Most of us we want to shop for guns that we can "actually" drive to in a reasonable distance. Plus with the 10 day wait you have to drive there twice making it more costly.

SEPARATE INTO REGIONS PLEASE!
Old 12-12-2015, 6:29 AM

Everyone has made good comments to consider. I personally prefer the split and separation of regions and items; it makes a lot easier to find item of interest. Maybe we can have it all if the search function is more flexible and customize able.
Old 12-24-2015, 7:26 AM

Why do people get rid of the price after the weapon is sold? I'd like to see what the sold price is or at least what the offering price was to get a gauge of the market for any given item.

I didn't see in the rules that this must be done but it was, admittedly, a quick glance so it could be there.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:00 PM

Calguns is big enough to have both a norcal /socal AND a rifle/handgun split, it's pretty tiresome seeing guns for sale in LA I want
Old 12-24-2015, 10:16 PM

What about people willing to ship?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2015, 2:56 PM

Just wondering if there is any progress report on this issue? The original post was dated back to August of 2013. Thanks.