Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > The Target Man - AR500 Shooting Targets
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2015, 1:00 PM

Default Poor Performance-Ripped Off

FYI:

For those of you looking to purchase AR500 plates, please be warned about the AR500+ plates that Target Man LLC sells. I bought a set of round 3/8" 8", 10" and 12" AR500 plates off this guy from Ebay for $89.95. I took them out to the range to try them out when I got them. They held up fine to my .223 and 30-30 at 200 yards.

***See Photo***

I wanted to see how they stood up to my 7mm Rem Mag at 200 yards, so I gave them a few shots and the bullets went right through the plates and cratered them as well. I load up a super light 7mm load: 39gn Hornady bullet, 49.5gn charge of H-414. This load is rated at 2702fps according to the Layman reloading data. The Target Man rates his 3/8" AR500+ plates at 3200fps or less at 100 yards or more "With ANY Lead". Even if I went with the max charge specified at 58gn of H-414 rated at 3017fps, that load is still below his max 3200fps stated in his listing. His stated AR500+ specs of 3200fps is the main reason why I bought from him.

I contacted this so-called "Target Man LLC" about what happened with his AR500+ plates, attached pictures of the holes and craters and that I felt ripped off. He claims that his AR500+ plates are every bit rated for what he states in his listing and they have the scientific proof (which I was never given), he further stated that my 7mm exceeded his specifications of his plates even after I gave him my 7mm data load specs stating they were lower than his AR500+ specs.
I after a couple more messages back and forth about the issue, in the end I was called childish, unreasonable, having careless shooting habits, and people like me are the problem with Ebay. I then proceeded the refund process with him and he escalated it to Ebay for resolution because he refused to issue a refund.

After a couple of days I got an email from Ebay stating that they had decided in favor of the seller. I called Ebay to appeal and they refused to even go through the appeal process and further stated they will side with the seller. To be totally honest, I'm not too upset about losing $90, it's the principle and the fact that this guy is selling a product that does not perform to what he states and can continue to rip people off.

So if any of you are looking to purchase AR500 plates, please be aware of The Target Man LLC AR500+ plates.

On a side note, if his AR500 plates don't perform to spec, I'd hate to be wearing his Spartan body armor in a "REAL" situation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AR500_plates.jpg (92.5 KB, 148 views)
Old 08-27-2015, 8:40 PM
Calguns Addict

That's odd, I have shot the dickens out of my target man 3/8" x 6" plates with greek 30-06 and some 284 SMK's 185 grain with no issues.

My plates were allowed to swing however, which makes a big difference.
Old 09-05-2015, 8:49 PM

Sounds like steel cored bullets to me. I have bought several of the IPSC targets and had no problems with .308. .260 and .338.
Old 09-05-2015, 8:52 PM

My 66% IPSC torso started to bend when shot with ZQI .308 at 132 yards, seller said "it's just a piece of steel, they bend" still haven't decided whether i should out them or not.
Old 09-06-2015, 5:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I shot a 1/2" ispc target from Ims with a 690 grain hardball 50 Bmg at 2900 fps at 500 yards. It bent the plate slightly but there was not pot mark on the face. There are limits to what steel can do 10,000 ft lbs is a lot of force.

Last edited by bubbapug1; 09-06-2015 at 6:56 PM..
Old 09-28-2015, 3:12 PM

Shonie bought some armor from us a while back and he clearly exceeded what they're rated for. Just because these are armored steel targets does NOT mean they're invincible. He tried to go after us on eBay with some bogus claims and this is his last attempt at trying to make himself feel better about the situation.

These are 3/8" AR500 steel targets. ALL of our AR500 comes in well above 500 on the BHN. We have material test reports that come with each and every batch of steel we purchase.

We're a very reputable company, and we stand behind everything that we offer. However, these are SHOOTING TARGETS, and they're not invincible. Shoot within our advertised specifications and these will last a long, long time. I have targets with literally tens of thousands of impacts from XM193 at well within our advertised recommended shooting parameters and they're still in great condition.

Odd how Shonie's only post on this site is with a bogus complaint about our targets. We bend over backwards to please our customers. However, the customer is clearly not always right.

Be sure to visit our site for UNBEATABLE pricing on AR500 Targets and Ballistic Body Armor! www.TheTargetMan.com

"LIKE" us on Facebook! (we will post coupons and unadvertised specials on FB!)

View our Calguns Subforum!
Old 10-03-2015, 2:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Glad to see yourself stand up to a buyer who can't follow recommended procedures. My dueling tree is doing great at 25,000 rounds, including 223 and 308 at 100 yards.
Old 12-29-2015, 8:04 AM
Calguns Addict

What is most odd to me is that eBay found in the favor of the seller. That is almost unheard of. I seriously doubt he is using steel core ammo in a 7mm. And if he is telling the truth about his load velocity why did the target not withstand it?
Old 02-24-2016, 5:46 AM

maybe his range finder is broke