Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 03-29-2021, 1:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default What to look out for when running two PVS-14s?

I'd love to pick up another PVS-14 and run them as a dual setup.

However, I am guessing this could be a problem if they are two different makes/brands/setups? Obviously I know I would need them to be the same Gen. But I am guessing there is a lot more to it than that.

My PVS-14 is an Opsmod Gen 3 model I picked up on sale from Optics Planet a while back. They are discontinued now. I am worried about dropping another $3K or more only to discover the differences in one from another brand mean it just isn't going to work.

Fears are that they won't culminate (not that I 100% understand what that means. All I know is it causes headaches). Or that one will be so different from the other I can't tell what I am seeing/doing.

Are my fears legitimate? Is this a no gun unless I get two identical PVS-14s?

Here is what I own: OPMOD Limited Edition GEN 3 Pinnacle PVS-14 Night Vision Monocular https://www.opticsplanet.com/opmod-l...monocular.html

This is what I was able to find on it's specs:

OPMODPVS14G

The OPMOD Limited Edition GEN 3 PVS-14 Pinnacle Night Vision Monocular,Green Phosphor,Charcoal, OPMODPVS14G Objective Lens Diameter: 26, Magnification: 1, Color: Charcoal, Night Vision Generation: 3P, Length: 4.5, Field of View, Angle: 40, Focus Range: 25, Battery Type: AA, Weight: 11.3, Diopter Adjustment Range: -6 - 2, Eye Relief: 25, Operating Temperature: -51 - 50, Image Intensifier Tube: Pinnacle, Image Intensifier Color: Green Phosphor, Width: 2, Storage Temperature: -51 - 85, Water Resistant Mark: 20, Battery Quantity: 1, Height: 2.25, Magnification Type: Fixed. is here at OpticsPlanet with competitive prices ! Please also check out more options for OPMOD Limited Edition GEN 3 Pinnacle PVS-14 Night Vision Monocular.

Purchase your new OPMOD Limited Edition GEN 3 PVS-14 Pinnacle Night Vision Monocular,Green Phosphor,Charcoal, OPMODPVS14G from OpticsPlanet today and you will appreciate the easy checkout process, fantastic customer service, Free Shipping policy and information on easily tracking your order.

OPMOD OPMODPVS14G: Limited Edition GEN 3 PVS-14 Pinnacle Night Vision Monocular,Green Phosphor,Charcoal

Last edited by tacticalcity; 03-29-2021 at 1:33 PM..
Old 04-03-2021, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member

To start you should have a data sheet the gives you the specs of your tube, so getting a matched tube will be easier. You have a Gen3 Pinnicle tube which means it's an ITT Gen 3 thin filmed tube that is autogated. Like a diamond not all are created equally. You could find another tube that was similar or even adjust the manual gain to balance out the tubes to some affect, use the less preforming tube in your non dominant eye, but for long durations you want matching tubes.

As for bridging,most people think that having 2 separate units you can always split them up to share, but the biggest downside is weight @ 25oz with the lightest bridge. Add the weight to balance on your brain bucket's CG 8-12 oz, and the weight of your helmet 16-32oz plus, will play havoc on your neck in minutes of use, I know I went that route before.

Collimating is more critical for fixed goggles vs articulating binos. Basically you try and get the point where your vision exits the lens to be relatively close. Think of looking through a red dot, then flip your magnifier in front of it and your dot looks like it's off to the side even though it hasn't moved, but since you introduced another lens it looks like it has. If your magnifier has adjusters you can recenter the dot to the middle of the magnifier so it looks normal.

So after all of this my advice is of you want binos (better depth perception, ability to drive, easier to learn on with both eyes aided), buy XLS gen3 BNVDs, which are on sale for 5,395 or 500 more for white phosphor tubes with a 10 year warranty at JRHEnterprises. Robert is a great guy, more interested in getting you what you need ns spending money on things that are not necessary. The BNVDs are manufactured by Night Vision Devices who supplies mil, fed and LEO contracts. The XLS tubes are made by ELBIT formally ITT (L3 merged with ITT, but ITT sold off it's NV portion) and are fall out tubes, meaning they didn't meet their minimum specs for blems or performance specs. If you google XLS/XLSH tubes you'll find most have exceptional performing tubes. The BNVD bino articulates, has tactical cut off ie turns off when rotated up individually or stowed in the up position and turns in automatically when put down.

If possible keep your PVS14, it is packable, light weight, takes common AA batteries, lower profile and has a 50hr run time. Pair it with a Crye Precision Night Cap @ 68 and battery pouch for balance weight @ 20.00 folds up like a baseball hat for a true packable system.

Tips for running more efficiently: Wear it over your dominant eye and more forward away from your eye. People find it easier to navigate and move. The biggest con for a 14 is it's impossible to drive with it makes you dizzy.

If you want a cheaper alternative to binos with the ability to drive look at buying a good condition late gen3 Omni VII PVS7 @ 1,500. They're harder to find especially now, but if you keep looking they're out there.

PM me if you have questions

Palmetto State Armory Suppliers revealed

"If it ain't stock, it don't belong on your Glock"
Old 04-04-2021, 4:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Thank you for the response. Lots of good info packed in there.

I had held off due to cost. The reason most people hold off I imagine. I'll look into the binos you mentioned. May be a while. And I thought the guns were expensive.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 04-04-2021 at 9:51 AM..
Old 04-04-2021, 9:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Wow Munny$hot, great info. How do you know so much about NV?

I'm looking for a good deal on a new PVS-14 Gen 3 white phosphor. What do you recommend?

What do you recommend for a helmet mount? Notoros or Wilcox? Or is there something as good as the Wilcox L4 G24 that doesn't cost so much?

Sorry to hijack your thread tacticalcity.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 04-04-2021, 11:25 AM

Currently running a pair of PVS-14s. I prefer that set up as opposed to a single powered bino pair. If one battery goes out, you still have another unit to push on. If one unit becomes damaged, same story. In a pinch, if I'm feeling generous, a friend can use one while I still retain an operable unit. Munny$hot has some good info. I'd recommend Wilcox for the bridging unit and their helmet mount. Dovetail is more secure than bayonet.

Shakespeare: Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene I
Old 04-04-2021, 3:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
Wow Munny$hot, great info. How do you know so much about NV?

I'm looking for a good deal on a new PVS-14 Gen 3 white phosphor. What do you recommend?

What do you recommend for a helmet mount? Notoros or Wilcox? Or is there something as good as the Wilcox L4 G24 that doesn't cost so much?

Sorry to hijack your thread tacticalcity.
@k1dude Right now the XLS/XLSH white phosphor tube is the way to go (same tube just the H is dropped) is the best deal going right now. The biggest setback is a lot if new users/IG posters/Preppers are buying buying and are soaking units and creating a back log, although it has gotten better. JRHEnterprises has been getting new stock in sporadically. He actually has a Easter sale going on right now, so if you have the money it's a great time to buy and you never know if a ban may be coming with this administration.

The XLS tube specs have been really good, but are listed as below Omni VIII contract tubes specs even though some have been very close reported by a lot of buyers. The difference of a ultra high spec tube is @ 20-25% better in near dark conditions. In very low light you will see snow kinda like the old black and white tvs back in the day, the difference is how clear you will be able to make out what something says or making out shapes to tell the difference between a dog vs a coyote etc. IMHO they're a better deal vs the Photonis Echo WP tubes, since the Echos have a bluish hue vs the more black/white from XLS/H tubes. Either way give Robert a call he can get you squared away. Also mention the AR15 member discount, not sure if it applies to specials, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Also be aware who you buy from, since there are companies that use subpar glass, housings, and components. There actually has been a company throwing stuff together and the user sent it to a reputable company where they found what look like bacon grease finger prints on the tube and lenses.

As for mounts the best for the money mount is going to be the Norotos Rhino II (not the standard legacy Rhino) It gives you the same vertical/fwrd/aft/tilt that all modern mounts have. The main difference between the Wilcox and Rhino IIs is the Rhino is a FTC Force To Overcome mount where the mount will fold if you face plant a door frame/wall/tree. the Wilcox has break away mode that the mount will dislodge from the mount if impacted, but can be reattached, the way they stow above/in front of your brain bucket, the Wilcox has more smooth movement, looks better in IG photos. The G24 sell for @400, while the Rhino II can be found new on Ebay for 50-80. Be sure if you by a Wilcox it's legit, since a bunch are fake. The sure way USED to be the X in Wilco"x", a quick google search will be helpful, but word is the ChiCom fakes now have the same type of X laser etching.

Old 04-04-2021, 4:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks for the info Munny$hot, but I can't find any info on JRHE's Easter sale. There's no mention of it on their website. Is there an email promo code or something? Or is the sale price already listed?

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 04-04-2021, 7:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
Thanks for the info Munny$hot, but I can't find any info on JRHE's Easter sale. There's no mention of it on their website. Is there an email promo code or something? Or is the sale price already listed?
Sorry, I re read his email flyer it's his "April Duals Sale" not Easter sale where the XLS BNVDs are on sale for 5,395. I don't remember the regular price.