Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Primary Arms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2017, 4:21 PM
Banned

Question Support for Firefox Browsers??

Do you all ever have any intention of building a website that will support customers who use a Mozilla Firefox browser?

I used to be a fairly frequent customer because of your excellent selection, good prices, reasonable shipping, and better than average customer service.

Around the beginning of the year, I purchased some optics and had a lot of problems with the website. When I mentioned that I'd been a customer for some time and never had these problems before, I was told that you all had a new website and were trying to get the bugs worked out. I was asked if I would kindly contact a couple of different people in your company to assist in getting your site working.

I called both of those people and left messages that included my contact info and stated my willingness to help your staff troubleshoot these problems. No one ever bothered to call back - so I assumed things had been fixed.

During that time, I had moved over to other vendors for my needs. Occasionally you all run some decent sales and just recently I decided to give your site another try. The experience did not go well. While I could navigate the site, I had constant problems adding to and accessing my “cart”. I also had numerous problems trying to place the order. Furthermore, customer service is no longer willing to accept my order over the phone. Also each person that I spoke with in your customer service department blamed these issues on my computer and software – regardless of the fact that YOUR website is the only one that I have these problems with. As much as I’d like to continue to give you my business, I’m not going to buy a different computer or load other software since no other vendor requires that.

Since I don’t know anyone else who’s into firearms that uses any browser besides Firefox, I asked them how they manage to order from your site. Surprisingly ALL of them reported that they simply have to place their orders for parts elsewhere..

That along with your unwillingness to accept a phone order will make my latest attempt at placing an order my last. It’s disappointing to find out that you all don’t care about my business. Fortunately, I’m not personally too interested in AR-15’s so it’s unlikely that many of my orders will ever amount to more than a few hundred dollars as much of what I order are for friends whose firearms I work on.

In conclusion, I cannot say that this situation speaks very well towards the quality of your customer service. That’s really too bad – because I along with others I know would like to be able to order from PA.
Old 10-30-2017, 5:44 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHeavyHitter View Post
Do you all ever have any intention of building a website that will support customers who use a Mozilla Firefox browser?

I used to be a fairly frequent customer because of your excellent selection, good prices, reasonable shipping, and better than average customer service.

Around the beginning of the year, I purchased some optics and had a lot of problems with the website. When I mentioned that I'd been a customer for some time and never had these problems before, I was told that you all had a new website and were trying to get the bugs worked out. I was asked if I would kindly contact a couple of different people in your company to assist in getting your site working.

I called both of those people and left messages that included my contact info and stated my willingness to help your staff troubleshoot these problems. No one ever bothered to call back - so I assumed things had been fixed.

During that time, I had moved over to other vendors for my needs. Occasionally you all run some decent sales and just recently I decided to give your site another try. The experience did not go well. While I could navigate the site, I had constant problems adding to and accessing my “cart”. I also had numerous problems trying to place the order. Furthermore, customer service is no longer willing to accept my order over the phone. Also each person that I spoke with in your customer service department blamed these issues on my computer and software – regardless of the fact that YOUR website is the only one that I have these problems with. As much as I’d like to continue to give you my business, I’m not going to buy a different computer or load other software since no other vendor requires that.

Since I don’t know anyone else who’s into firearms that uses any browser besides Firefox, I asked them how they manage to order from your site. Surprisingly ALL of them reported that they simply have to place their orders for parts elsewhere..

That along with your unwillingness to accept a phone order will make my latest attempt at placing an order my last. It’s disappointing to find out that you all don’t care about my business. Fortunately, I’m not personally too interested in AR-15’s so it’s unlikely that many of my orders will ever amount to more than a few hundred dollars as much of what I order are for friends whose firearms I work on.

In conclusion, I cannot say that this situation speaks very well towards the quality of your customer service. That’s really too bad – because I along with others I know would like to be able to order from PA.
We are working on updating our systems
Old 12-06-2017, 10:12 AM
Banned

Since you all have been unsuccessful in fixing the problems with your website for nearly a year, have you considered maybe hiring someone with the skill to get the job done?

Also, have you given consideration to accepting orders over the phone in the interim?

Please don't interpret my requests as being pushy - as I respect any business owner's decision to ignore people they don't want to do business with.

I'm just in a position where I am retired and I have a number of friends and some clients who I place orders on their behalf since I am able to to sign for or otherwise safely receive those shipments while they are at work. Some of these people want me to order from you and I'm not able to do that. With it having been nearly a year waiting for your website to get fixed and no one willing to accept an order via phone, I'm nearing the point of giving up. I have absolutely no problem in moving along if that's what you prefer.

In any event, if you all do decide to get your website fixed - it would be very helpful to make an announcement via various forums that Firefox users are welcome again. I as well as some other Firefox users I have spoken with no longer subscribe to your mailing, so we need to have some way to know that our business is welcome again. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:16 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Since you all have been unsuccessful in fixing the problems with your website for nearly a year, have you considered maybe hiring someone with the skill to get the job done?

Also, have you given consideration to accepting orders over the phone in the interim?

Please don't interpret my requests as being pushy - as I respect any business owner's decision to ignore people they don't want to do business with.

I'm just in a position where I am retired and I have a number of friends and some clients who I place orders on their behalf since I am able to to sign for or otherwise safely receive those shipments while they are at work. Some of these people want me to order from you and I'm not able to do that. With it having been nearly a year waiting for your website to get fixed and no one willing to accept an order via phone, I'm nearing the point of giving up. I have absolutely no problem in moving along if that's what you prefer.

In any event, if you all do decide to get your website fixed - it would be very helpful to make an announcement via various forums that Firefox users are welcome again. I as well as some other Firefox users I have spoken with no longer subscribe to your mailing, so we need to have some way to know that our business is welcome again. Thanks.

Please contact me directly (my direct email is listed below) and tell me what is happening. I will get it fixed. We test with every browser and have a sizable staff of developers.

Edit to add I just placed a order using Firefox with no issues. Please let me know what is happening.
Contact me at: Marshall@Primaryarms.com

Last edited by marsh1; 12-06-2017 at 10:30 AM..
Old 12-06-2017, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh1 View Post
Please contact me directly (my direct email is listed below) and tell me what is happening. I will get it fixed. We test with every browser and have a sizable staff of developers.
Thanks! Will do tomorrow. I need to leave for an appointment shorty.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:34 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

FWIW- I just went to primaryarms.com and was able to view product and add something to the cart. Only thing I didn't try was completing the checkout procedure.

I use FF Quantum on a Mac running 10.9.5

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 12-08-2017, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh1 View Post

Edit to add I just placed a order using Firefox with no issues. Please let me know what is happening.
Sorry for the delay - Christmas shopping ya know.. I do not see your email address so I will reply direct from here.

Anyway, I am running Windows 8.1 with Firefox release 56.0.2. I do have another computer in my test lab running Windows 10 with the latest release (57 - I believe) version of FF that I have not performed any live testing with on PA’s commerce site.

I can navigate PA’s site without problem but I do often get an error message telling me that “a script is running that is preventing the page from loading – do I want to stop the script?” I can simply wait and the message clears and the page loads. What is strange is that the message says it’s a “Chrome” script, which is odd since I am not running Chrome.

The problem I have with the cart is after I’ve added a number of items (maybe 10 – 12, I cannot recall) adding a new item will force a previously added item out of the cart. I want to be able to order all of the items at once so I can combine shipping. Fortunately, items forced from the cart appear at the bottom of the screen as “previously viewed items” and I can re-add them – but not without forcing out another item. During my last order, I simply kept trying to re-add the items most important to me and forego the less important ones.

Once I had as many items in the cart that it would allow (without dropping other items) I attempted to place the order. Everything looked like it worked OK, but I never received any confirmation number or email confirming the order. When I called in, they checked and told me that no order had been processed. I told them I was having problems and asked that if something happened that placed the same order multiple times – could they correct that? They said “no problem, just call and let them know”, so I continued trying various things, like removing some items, editing my account info in small ways, etc.

Somewhere along the line, when I re-entered the order I did receive a confirmation and email confirming the order. I tried so many different things that I’m not sure what I did to make it work..

In the end, I got to order most of the things I wanted and simply picked up the remaining items locally though I’d have preferred to get everything from PA.

Earlier in the year, I experienced problems ordering a Burris Fast-fire III. That time I thought the order went through but it didn’t. When I called in, the Fast-fire had already gone off sale, but they could see that it was still stuck in a “cart” tied to my email address. They went ahead and processed the order for me via phone. A few weeks later the Fast-fire went back on sale again and I was able to place that order without any problems that I recall.

While I’m not a really big customer (number-wise), I do many times have orders where I need a fairly large number of small parts as I frequently place orders on behalf of others and install those parts for them. Primary Arms is an ideal place to shop many times from that perspective.

As far as my computer goes, I keep the OS up-to-date as well as my anti-virus software. The only other site that causes similar problems is the UPS site for tracking packages, although some news sites that I read do occasionally have issues with text overlays – making reading difficult. I have had text overlay issues on Brownell’s website, but I can order and use all other functions there without problems.

I do expect to be migrating to Firefox 57, but have not done so yet due to the major changes that were made that have caused some extensions and plug-ins to no longer function. While I’ve been able to mess around finagle the PA commerce site to finally accept and process an order, doing so has been problematic to the point of simply ordering from other vendors even when I have to pay more. My time and sanity are worth something.

Anyway – thanks for taking the time and showing an active interest in helping me with this problem. I had on an earlier occasion left my callback number with two different people on your web-development team. I’ve always been more than happy to help but had assumed the problems were resolved when I did not hear from anyone. FWIW, I was employed as a senior network and DB administrator and have a good amount of web-development experience. That said, I did retire back in 2006, so while my experience is certainly not current, I have general infrastructure knowledge that may be of help.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:35 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I will make it clear that no group even the tech guys are to ignore a customer request. I am taking this info to our director of technology now to make sure all the issues have been addressed.

Thanks for helping us get better!!!!!
Old 12-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Banned

Sorry Marshall, I just realized that I had "signatures disabled" - which kept me from seeing your email address.. I'll leave this here in the even any other Firefox users are having issues and may have something to add.

Last edited by NoHeavyHitter; 12-08-2017 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: kant speel rite
Old 12-08-2017, 10:44 AM
Banned

I never thought I was being ignored. I placed a repeat order for the exact same optic a few weeks later and everything went fine, so I assumed any issues had been corrected.

It wasn't until I placed my most recent order that problems (some new that I'd not had before) re-appeared that led me to think something was still amiss.

I have unlimited long-distance if you'd like for me to call your tech dept direct. it sure beats typing a book!

Last edited by NoHeavyHitter; 12-08-2017 at 11:38 AM..
Old 12-09-2017, 7:31 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Please let us know if you have any other issues or need help.

-Dimitri
Old 12-10-2017, 2:22 PM
Banned

I've revved my Firefox build to v57.0.2 It's the lastest version of Firefox and was a major re-write as opposed to an update.

I don't have anything that I need to buy at the moment, but I will try perusing PA's site and test adding things to a cart to see if those issues are resolved.

I was getting the impression that maybe there are too many web-development tools that created content that was incompatible with Fire fox browsers - so maybe that was a major reason for the browser re-write. But I'm just speculating about that.
Old 12-10-2017, 2:36 PM
CGN Contributor

Reality of the situation with Firefox is that the Firefox team has spent an inordinate amount of time developing Rust, which is, technologically, a tour de force, very interesting, etc., but during that time, Firefox itself became...really quite rusty, so to speak.

The new Quantum release has done much to improve things, but they have lost a lot of ground over the past few years and it's going to take a while to reestablish parity. In my own experience, we've found places where IE is actually doing things in a more 'standard' way than FF is, which is, frankly, really saying something.
Old 12-13-2017, 8:50 PM
Banned

Using FF v57.0.2 works a lot better than earlier releases. I was able to continue adding items to a cart without reaching a threshold where items get pushed out. Things worked well enough that I suspect there's a good possibility that I could have processed a transaction.

However, there were still some problems. For example, clicking on a product item loads the page quickly and cleanly, while clicking on a product category still yields a slow response with a message that "a script is preventing the page from loading properly". While I've seen that message frequently, it clears much quicker than before.

One particular anomaly I noticed was that some product items that had numerous reviews were unable to load any review regardless of how I attempted to sort (by "all" or "specific number of stars"). That condition was like a dead link and I don't know what could be causing that.

My testing suggests to me that there are some issues with the way the web interface is talking to the database on the back end depending on how or what is being called. Even before I retired in 06', there were a number of good database performance tuning tools available. I'd have to anticipate that there are even better tools available now a days.

If I'm the only one that has reported these issues, then the situation could be isolated to some specific configuration issue on my end. But if you get similar reports from others, then it's something you should look into.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of people that experience problems never report them, but rather just move along. I'd learned that it was usually a good idea to track problem reporting even when no specific issue was immediately found. There were times when rare problems occurred that I could not duplicate only to stumble onto a fix later on that cured the original symptoms.

I hope I've been able to provide some measure of help. I'll probably know more when I try to make a purchase and get to see how that goes, or not. The good news is that it is certainly working better using the latest FF release.
Old 12-14-2017, 7:47 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Using FF v57.0.2 works a lot better than earlier releases. I was able to continue adding items to a cart without reaching a threshold where items get pushed out. Things worked well enough that I suspect there's a good possibility that I could have processed a transaction.

However, there were still some problems. For example, clicking on a product item loads the page quickly and cleanly, while clicking on a product category still yields a slow response with a message that "a script is preventing the page from loading properly". While I've seen that message frequently, it clears much quicker than before.

One particular anomaly I noticed was that some product items that had numerous reviews were unable to load any review regardless of how I attempted to sort (by "all" or "specific number of stars"). That condition was like a dead link and I don't know what could be causing that.

My testing suggests to me that there are some issues with the way the web interface is talking to the database on the back end depending on how or what is being called. Even before I retired in 06', there were a number of good database performance tuning tools available. I'd have to anticipate that there are even better tools available now a days.

If I'm the only one that has reported these issues, then the situation could be isolated to some specific configuration issue on my end. But if you get similar reports from others, then it's something you should look into.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of people that experience problems never report them, but rather just move along. I'd learned that it was usually a good idea to track problem reporting even when no specific issue was immediately found. There were times when rare problems occurred that I could not duplicate only to stumble onto a fix later on that cured the original symptoms.

I hope I've been able to provide some measure of help. I'll probably know more when I try to make a purchase and get to see how that goes, or not. The good news is that it is certainly working better using the latest FF release.
Passing this along to the developers now
Old 12-15-2017, 4:18 PM
Banned

I had mentioned that I can see product reviews the vast majority of the time, but had some item with reviews that I could neither sort nor access regardless of what I tried.

Since I remembered one such item, I wanted to provide a link here to help keep your development team from having to search. The item was a Strike Industries FDE charging handle at this URL:

http://www.primaryarms.com/strike-ar...si-arch-el-fde

The item has 55 reviews (at the time of my viewing) yet I cannot see or sort by star-count any reviews. The message I see at the bottom of the page says:

"There are no reviews available for your selection"

By including this link, I figured it might save some time and also help your staff determine whether or not this problem is confined to my experience.

If anyone else reading this would follow the link I provided above and comment on whether or not you can see the reviews and what browser you are using, it could prove helpful - thanks.
Old 12-19-2017, 9:35 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
I had mentioned that I can see product reviews the vast majority of the time, but had some item with reviews that I could neither sort nor access regardless of what I tried.

Since I remembered one such item, I wanted to provide a link here to help keep your development team from having to search. The item was a Strike Industries FDE charging handle at this URL:

http://www.primaryarms.com/strike-ar...si-arch-el-fde

The item has 55 reviews (at the time of my viewing) yet I cannot see or sort by star-count any reviews. The message I see at the bottom of the page says:

"There are no reviews available for your selection"

By including this link, I figured it might save some time and also help your staff determine whether or not this problem is confined to my experience.

If anyone else reading this would follow the link I provided above and comment on whether or not you can see the reviews and what browser you are using, it could prove helpful - thanks.
Thanks. WIll get this over to the developers.