Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-24-2021, 2:49 PM
rplaw rplaw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 874
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Kimber 1911 commander - failure to go fully into battery

This is my carry pistol.

It's worn (Estimated 30k rounds) but usually it's totally reliable. Until recently that is.

Occasionally it now fails to go fully into battery. Sometimes it hangs and then goes on its own, but most often I have to push to fully close the slide.

It has a NEW commander length recoil spring in it.

Full strip and clean in an ultrasonic has not solved the problem.

Using different factory ammo (Federal, UMC, Remington, Winchester) has not solved the problem.

The feed ramp is polished and in good shape (no dish).

Barrel/chamber are clean and shiny.



I have no idea what's causing the problem. All I can think of is that there's a tiny piece of grit somewhere that won't come out and it's causing something to stick every once in awhile.

Anyone have any ideas?
__________________
Some random thoughts:

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-24-2021, 4:46 PM
'ol shooter's Avatar
'ol shooter 'ol shooter is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,257
iTrader: 89 / 100%
Default

Check the link pin for play between the link and pin or pin walking out of barrel lug. Inspect locking lugs on barrel and slide for damage. Check dis-connector plunger to assure it operates smoothly. With all surfaces properly lubed and with recoil spring out of the pistol, work the slide fully in both directions and feel for any binding/dragging when it starts to go into lockup. It should cycle smoothly by hand. I have seen hang ups when the extractor is not correctly adjusted but you say all you did was strip and clean. If you still can't figure it out, professional intervention is in your future.
__________________

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-24-2021, 4:47 PM
ojisan's Avatar
ojisan ojisan is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SFV
Posts: 11,372
iTrader: 57 / 100%
Default

Check the front of the chamber for lead or brass debris build up.
Check the locking lugs in the slide for smashed in debris.
Be sure the barrel link moves freely and the lug feet are not beaten in or peened over.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-25-2021, 6:30 AM
rplaw rplaw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 874
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Wouldn't dirty/damaged locking lugs cause this problem all the time instead of intermittently? Ditto for chamber debris?

I keep thinking it's something to do with the firing pin block having just enough drag somehow to slow the slide every once in awhile. On the other hand, a worn link pin could cause this depending on how it's worn. I'll have to triple check.
__________________
Some random thoughts:

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-25-2021, 7:30 AM
divingin divingin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,851
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplaw View Post
Wouldn't dirty/damaged locking lugs cause this problem all the time instead of intermittently? Ditto for chamber debris?
Nope; when things like this start happening, it often happens occasionally, and, if not addressed, progresses to continually.

If it were mine, I'd put the old spring back in and test. Problems that occur after a parts swap should be the first to come under suspicion.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-25-2021, 7:47 AM
ojisan's Avatar
ojisan ojisan is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SFV
Posts: 11,372
iTrader: 57 / 100%
Default

Damaged lugs...full time problem.
Debris floating around in lugs...intermittent to full time problem.
Chamber debris...depends on case length and bullet type / shape.
Bad ammo could be the problem too.
Just suggesting a few things to look for that I have run across over the years.
Good luck figuring it out.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-25-2021, 8:23 AM
rplaw rplaw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 874
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingin View Post
Nope; when things like this start happening, it often happens occasionally, and, if not addressed, progresses to continually.

If it were mine, I'd put the old spring back in and test. Problems that occur after a parts swap should be the first to come under suspicion.
I changed the spring because the problem was beginning to crop up and that's usually the sign of a tired recoil spring. Or, at that's been my experience.
__________________
Some random thoughts:

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-25-2021, 8:30 AM
rplaw rplaw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 874
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
Damaged lugs...full time problem.
Debris floating around in lugs...intermittent to full time problem.
Chamber debris...depends on case length and bullet type / shape.
Bad ammo could be the problem too.
Just suggesting a few things to look for that I have run across over the years.
Good luck figuring it out.
Thanks.

I'm going to strip it down again and use my microscope to examine everything. If that doesn't show anything as being the problem, then it's either going to get retired or sent off to one of the performance gunsmiths. The likelyhood is retirement because it's a Kimber and can be replaced fairly easily and probably cheaper than getting it back to reliable.
__________________
Some random thoughts:

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-25-2021, 9:37 AM
Dr. Dimento Dr. Dimento is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: La Quinta, Ca.
Posts: 32
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Check the ears on your mags for cracks and spreading out at the top, they might be allowing your cartridges to sit to high or change angle and hang up your slide.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-25-2021, 9:05 PM
MosinVirus's Avatar
MosinVirus MosinVirus is offline
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5,266
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

To me the "Sometimes it hangs and then goes on its own" almost sounds like a slide stop pin / bottom lug / barrel link issue.

How out of battery is it when it is out of battery?
__________________
Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-26-2021, 5:52 AM
rplaw rplaw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 874
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosinVirus View Post
To me the "Sometimes it hangs and then goes on its own" almost sounds like a slide stop pin / bottom lug / barrel link issue.

How out of battery is it when it is out of battery?
Maybe 1/8th inch. A light touch is all it needs to go forward after it hangs.


I'm going to disassemble it today and clean/examine everything again.
__________________
Some random thoughts:

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-26-2021, 6:09 AM
MosinVirus's Avatar
MosinVirus MosinVirus is offline
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5,266
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplaw View Post
Maybe 1/8th inch. A light touch is all it needs to go forward after it hangs.


I'm going to disassemble it today and clean/examine everything again.
Good luck. I hope you find the culprit. When you do, let us know, please.
__________________
Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-26-2021, 9:07 AM
therealnickb's Avatar
therealnickb therealnickb is offline
Himself
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pursuing happiness
Posts: 7,849
iTrader: 56 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplaw View Post
Maybe 1/8th inch. A light touch is all it needs to go forward after it hangs.


I'm going to disassemble it today and clean/examine everything again.
Check the extractor tension. Too much tension will cause that issue.
__________________
CGN Contributor - Lifetime - Special Golden Category
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-26-2021, 9:10 AM
AAShooter's Avatar
AAShooter AAShooter is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,203
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
Check the extractor tension. Too much tension will cause that issue.
Yes
__________________
Front Sight course certificates (for any course) and gun rental certificates for sale or trade--get trained.

PM me for information on low-priced Front Sight Memberships!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-26-2021, 9:13 AM
rplaw rplaw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 874
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Well, I found "something." I don't know if it's the problem or not.


My ejector is a tad loose. The roll pin is tight in the frame but I can put a .015" feeler gauge under the rear of it and it's wobbly on both posts. I wedged it with a toothpick splinter and put the slide on the bare frame. It drags. I'm assuming grit gets under it and lifts it up enough to slow the slide while shooting. The wobble doesn't help either.


The ejector is an aftermarket replacement SS part (Ed Brown I think) because the original factory MIM part broke at less than 200 rounds. The factory sent me a replacement, but it's MIM too. I went aftermarket for the reliability factor.

So, now the question is what caused it to loosen. Recoil force over time? Crappy gunsmithing (me) during the replacement install? I swear it was down tight when I put it on. I made sure that the relief notch for the roll pin was high enough that the pin pulls the ejector leg down into the frame.

Maybe it's that it's SS rather than hard steel. SS is softer but I don't know if that's the reason.

I need to order a new ejector. Hopefully that fixes the problem. If not, I'll be screaming for help again.
__________________
Some random thoughts:

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-26-2021, 10:09 AM
therealnickb's Avatar
therealnickb therealnickb is offline
Himself
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pursuing happiness
Posts: 7,849
iTrader: 56 / 100%
Default

Can you swap in the Kimber replacement temporarily? See if that solves the issue?
__________________
CGN Contributor - Lifetime - Special Golden Category
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-26-2021, 11:31 AM
rplaw rplaw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 874
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
Can you swap in the Kimber replacement temporarily? See if that solves the issue?
Already did.

Sunday is the day of reckoning. We'll see if this floozy of mine still packs her punch.

As for the rest, the lugs are perfect. No damage or grit or fouling on them. The chamber is perfect, no debris or anything in there either. The ramp is still polished with no divot on the face.

When I did the function checks, the slide dropped a lot faster than it usually does so I'm hopeful.
__________________
Some random thoughts:

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.

Last edited by rplaw; 05-26-2021 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-06-2021, 6:23 AM
rplaw rplaw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 874
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Thought I'd do a follow up on this.

I went to the range and ran half a box of ammo through it. It didn't hang but there was 1x where it "clinked" after firing. The noise wasn't "normal" and was certainly loud enough that it was clear through my earmuffs. I checked but it was fully in battery.

Other than that, nothing else to report.

I'm still not going to carry it until it's sorted out.
__________________
Some random thoughts:

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-06-2021, 3:55 PM
nothingextra nothingextra is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kansas City, KS
Posts: 844
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Fit an egw firing pin stop, preferably flat bottom.
Run a sharpie on your feed ramp per mag and see if 1 needs a feed lip adjustment or spring change.
You may want to profile your ejector a little to promote a specific direction and see how forgiving you can add some slop.

Weigh your mainspring and confirm it's at 20-23lbs depending on type of spring. Delaying cycle dwell time improves feeding, return is entirely up to recoil spring weight.

I don't mind going down to 19lbs for mainspring for improved trigger "feel" but it's not relevant to a feeding issue.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-06-2021, 4:12 PM
hermosabeach's Avatar
hermosabeach hermosabeach is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Bay of Los Angeles
Posts: 16,232
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

OP

I had to giggle

30,000 rounds fired and I don’t know why the ejector loosened up…..


You have shot that 1911 more than 99.99999% of owners have.


I love seeing these threads. It helps me keep learning
__________________
Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-07-2021, 6:02 AM
rplaw rplaw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 874
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
OP

I had to giggle

30,000 rounds fired and I donít know why the ejector loosened upÖ..


You have shot that 1911 more than 99.99999% of owners have.


I love seeing these threads. It helps me keep learning


The ejector on this one is a problem and always has been. I actually don't know why since no one else reports the ejector as being a problem child.

And I confess, the 30K rounds weren't all mine. The old gal has had more hands on her butt than the barmaid at a dive bar on a payday weekend.
__________________
Some random thoughts:

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-07-2021, 6:07 AM
rplaw rplaw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 874
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingextra View Post
Fit an egw firing pin stop, preferably flat bottom.
Run a sharpie on your feed ramp per mag and see if 1 needs a feed lip adjustment or spring change.
You may want to profile your ejector a little to promote a specific direction and see how forgiving you can add some slop.

Weigh your mainspring and confirm it's at 20-23lbs depending on type of spring. Delaying cycle dwell time improves feeding, return is entirely up to recoil spring weight.

I don't mind going down to 19lbs for mainspring for improved trigger "feel" but it's not relevant to a feeding issue.
I don't see how a weak/worn mag spring could cause an intermittent not-in-battery issue. A new spring, yes, but not an old one that's been working perfectly.

Mags are Wilson Combat. Feed lips look fine to my eyes, but what the heck do I know.
__________________
Some random thoughts:

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-26-2021, 1:08 PM
rplaw rplaw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 874
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Well, the new ejector is here. Sort of...


I either ordered the wrong one, or they sent the wrong one, because what I have is an ejector for a 38 super/ 9mm and I need one for .45.

Anyone know if it'll fit?
__________________
Some random thoughts:

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-26-2021, 1:36 PM
Sailormilan2 Sailormilan2 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 2,935
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

My understanding is that Commander sized 1911 45 acp guns use the 38 Super style ejector. Now different makers may do things differently but that was started by Colt. Install it and see if it fits and works. If it's the long 9mm style you'll probably have to trim some off the front.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-26-2021, 3:01 PM
rplaw rplaw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 874
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

This is what I have.





The dies are .45ACP from Lee. Midway had them in stock. $39.99 for carbide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dies and ejector.jpg (64.1 KB, 188 views)
__________________
Some random thoughts:

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.

Last edited by rplaw; 06-26-2021 at 3:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-27-2021, 5:45 AM
Friesland's Avatar
Friesland Friesland is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 863
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Talking

I enjoy seeing responses also. Brightens the start of my day!

Wonder who was footing the bill for the 30,000 rds?



Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
OP

I had to giggle

30,000 rounds fired and I donít know why the ejector loosened upÖ..


You have shot that 1911 more than 99.99999% of owners have.


I love seeing these threads. It helps me keep learning
"

The ejector on this one is a problem and always has been. I actually don't know why since no one else reports the ejector as being a problem child.

And I confess, the 30K rounds weren't all mine. The old gal has had more hands on her butt than the barmaid at a dive bar on a payday weekend.
"
__________________
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."-
Samuel Adams
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-27-2021, 7:25 AM
rplaw rplaw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 874
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesland View Post
Wonder who was footing the bill for the 30,000 rds?

Me. 30K rounds over a decade is only about 250 rounds per month or about a box and a half every week.

I train beginning students (NRA licensed pistol instructor) and certify CCW permit holders (new applicants and renewals) for the County. I often shoot with my students during the class because I can show by example and it gives the student(s) a break from shooting while they observe. It's better for them mentally because they can process what's happening without being behind the gun all the time and concentrating only on that.

We also don't just shoot the std course of fire at silhouettes during the classes I teach, because that's just boring and no one learns much from it. We warm up together as part of forming a cohesive group working toward a common goal. During the warmup I show them some of the shooting games I play to keep things interesting and challenging and it takes everyone's minds off of the upcoming performance test while getting them ready for it at the same time. We play some more of the shooting games after the certification testing is done as part of a winding down so everyone goes home happy and satisfied.

My students come back and often do an outstanding job on the performance tests as well as usually acing the written tests cold turkey because it's fun and they remember more than my students did before I started doing all of that.

Plus I just flat out shoot a lot. Over the years I've done a lot of shooting at several ranges outside of my home grounds. Been thrown out of a few too.

All my gunz are floozies. Cheap, easy, and always up for a fun time if you're buying.
__________________
Some random thoughts:

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.

Last edited by rplaw; 06-28-2021 at 1:42 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-27-2021, 9:41 AM
Friesland's Avatar
Friesland Friesland is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 863
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

rplaw

You would be a fun instructor!!! I did have a one-on-one with a skilled instructor once. He seem more interested in $$$ than on range training and improving my skill set. Believed the instructor would prefer to teach shooting sports at a restaurant table.

Also, shooting 300 to 400 rounds is not my thing

Also, I really needed the "Fun" factor, bowling pins, reactive targets,...
__________________
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."-
Samuel Adams
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-27-2021, 10:36 AM
rplaw rplaw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 874
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesland View Post
rplaw

You would be a fun instructor!!! I did have a one-on-one with a skilled instructor once. He seem more interested in $$$ than on range training and improving my skill set. Believed the instructor would prefer to teach shooting sports at a restaurant table.

Also, shooting 300 to 400 rounds is not my thing

Also, I really needed the "Fun" factor, bowling pins, reactive targets,...
This is, unfortunately, what most instructor's have for a mindset. It's understandable because they have overhead costs they have to meet. Plus, it's really easy to get burned out by a steady stream of dangerous fools who think they're Roy Rogers or Rambo.

I don't make my living teaching. I don't need to "make money" at this so I don't charge a lot for my classes or certifications. I'm not the cheapest guy doing it, but everyone knows that the cheapest instructor usually isn't teaching their student's much.

What makes it super fun is that I have a few students who've been to Frontsight and Gunsight. They can shoot better than I can but when it comes to my classes, they often learn something they didn't know. Sometimes they even show me a thing or 2.

Which is all part of the fun and keeps me on my toes.


As an aside, to show you how much you actually learn in most classes, I once had a conversation with "a firearms instructor" and he told me that his students probably wouldn't be able to do anything in a real life situation except get shot. I took that as an indicator on the level of instruction he was able to provide to his students.

If the SHTF, my students would survive a gunfight. Of that I'm certain.
__________________
Some random thoughts:

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.

Last edited by rplaw; 06-27-2021 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-27-2021, 10:55 AM
rplaw rplaw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 874
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

RE: shooting a lot.


Shooting a bunch of ammo isn't the point. Anyone can go to the range and burn powder. When I shoot it's always a personal challenge. I'm not shooting bullseye, I'm practicing for when I need to defend myself in real life.

That takes speed in recognizing a threat and the ability to find the target(s) under pressure. It takes being familiar with my tools. It takes a constant honing of my skills. It takes attention to details and an ability to admit when I screwed up and immediately correct myself. It takes, above all, time in the saddle to get to the point where you can truly evaluate your performance and call it good enough.

After a few thousand rounds of pushing toward that goal, you get to a point where you begin to understand that you don't know anything. A few thousand more rounds and you start to get a feel for what you need to do to improve. A few thousand more rounds and it's hard to walk into the range because of all the crap you see going on around you. Crap you used to do. Crap by people who seem to think they know how to shoot. By the time you've sent a few thousand more rounds downrange, you don't need to be looking around, trying to prove anything, or letting people know what a badass you are. In a couple of thousand more rounds, you start to think about teaching what you've learned.

And that's when you really start learning how to shoot. Because you can't teach something you don't know by heart or have the ability to show someone else what that is. After all that much shooting and time and expense, if you still want to teach, then making money at it isn't important.

I am not a Seal, Delta Force(!), or anything at all. I don't wear BDU's, camo, or combat boots. I don't have NRA stickers all over my bumper and I don't wear a hat.

What I do is shoot.
__________________
Some random thoughts:

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-29-2021, 2:16 PM
ar15barrels's Avatar
ar15barrels ar15barrels is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Van Nuys
Posts: 51,719
iTrader: 111 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplaw View Post
The dies are .45ACP from Lee.
Midway had them in stock.
$39.99 for carbide.
Are you new to reloading for this gun?
__________________
Randall Rausch

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-29-2021, 3:23 PM
rplaw rplaw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 874
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Are you new to reloading for this gun?
Yep.

Like I said (somewhere) I've reloaded a few 9mm for my other guns, but not for this one. This one has always run nothing but factory ammo.

I have a friend who reloads who will let me use his press if I have dies and the rest of the reloading components needed. I now have the dies. I also have so much once fired brass it's coming out my ears and a small supply of powder (1# Unique). I also have a big ultrasonic and cleaning solutions designed for metals that will clean and shine them up without etching. (I repair antique pocket watches and clocks as a hobby.) Primers and projectiles are available, if in limited supply.

So... About that ejector...?
__________________
Some random thoughts:

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

There is no "I" in Team; no "Me" in sports; no "You" in life. However, there's a ton of "Wheeeeee!" on roller coasters.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-30-2021, 5:13 PM
logman logman is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

One concern is the statement that it a Kimber Commander? Kimber does make a 4" Pro model which is similar to a Commander which is 4ľ" but the recoil spring space at full recoils is quite different, .940" for Kimber and 1.125" for a Commander so the recoil spring meant for a Commander in a Kimber will stack at every shot to stop the slide, not good. Wolff does make a specific recoil spring for the Kimber Pro, or the Wilson 4" flat wire spring kit I believe will work as well.

LOG
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-15-2021, 6:06 PM
Colt Colt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,549
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

A number of variables re this issue, some very minor:

Mags and/or mag springs
Extractor tension
Ejector
Firing pin stop
Slide stop
Series 80 (or whatever Kimber has) parts, if applicable
Ammo (less likely if good factory stuff)

At 30k rounds, how often have you changed all the springs and checked extra to tension? I’d first rule out extractor, the mags and mag springs, then ejector (ask me how I know)

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:23 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy

Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Military Boots 5.11 Tactical