Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 08-26-2021, 9:42 AM

Default Worth it to buy $250 holosun vs. $400 one?

Hey all i am looking to run a red dot on my m&p. Help me, what are the major differences in a $250 holosun vs. the newest $400 holosun HE508T’s?
Old 08-26-2021, 9:50 AM

Titanium housing, looks to be a new shape design. Guts seem to be close or the same?
Old 08-26-2021, 10:15 AM

Copy!
Old 08-26-2021, 7:36 PM

The $250 one was $400 before the $400 one was released and the $400 one will be $250 when the next model is released.
Old 08-26-2021, 7:45 PM

Spend the money on something American made not China-tech
Old 08-26-2021, 8:14 PM

Is the Trijicon sro better?
Old 08-26-2021, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Prestige View Post
Spend the money on something American made not China-tech
If American made could produce quality at the same price it wouldn't be an issue.

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.
Old 08-27-2021, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Peter Venkman View Post
If American made could produce quality at the same price it wouldn't be an issue.
A $200 China optic doesn’t belong on a battle rifle. Your comment is irrelevant at best.
Old 08-27-2021, 5:01 PM

Quote:
A $200 China optic doesn’t belong on a battle rifle. Your comment is irrelevant at best.
Good thing it's for a pistol then
Old 08-27-2021, 6:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you're even thinking about spending $400, then just spend a little more and get an Aimpoint.
Sweden is not trying to undermine our country.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 08-27-2021, 8:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8Mud View Post
Good thing it's for a pistol then

This American made thing echoed over and over on here is hilarious. I bet he just posted this from his American made phone or computer.

To the op I have 407, 508, 509 and rmr optics. I’ve never had a problem with a 407, maybe the 508 is more durable but I don’t see it’s worth the extra cash. The 509 is my favorite optic now and is also titanium but cheaper than the 508. C&h precision has them for $289 right now.
Old 08-28-2021, 1:36 AM
Veteran Member

K - smaller
C- larger
T- Titanium

Reticle Options, 507 2MOA dot and 32MOA circle, then both.
407 - MOA varies I think, mostly 8? Could be mistaken.
Then there is the ACSS reticle.

You might consider what platform and reticle you’re looking for as opposed to just price. There are a lot of options.
Old 08-28-2021, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey nut View Post
Is the Trijicon sro better?
Ask that guy who keeps breaking his
Old 08-30-2021, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Okay bro, I'm sure you're drowning in experience with holosun versus trijicon versus aimpoint.

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.
Old 08-31-2021, 3:52 AM

Quote:
It's not a battle rifle unless you taken it into battle.
Old 09-06-2021, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip View Post
If you're even thinking about spending $400, then just spend a little more and get an Aimpoint.
Sweden is not trying to undermine our country.
I like the Aimpoint also because of Swiss quality.
Old 09-06-2021, 8:03 PM

If you’re new optics and still need to learn the way of the dot, just go with the 507c and call it a day. No need to get the titanium 508t unless you plan on using it for duty use (cop).
Old 09-07-2021, 7:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
As someone who had three Trijicon RMR RM07 failed inside a 14 month span and a Holosun 507C that has been running perfect for the past 3 years or so, I think your comments are a bit misguided.

I did recently did get a RMR HRS / RM06 Type 2 to see if that will fail, but I have another Holosun 507C and I have no problem recommending the 507C for anyone looking for a reliable mrds for a pistol platform.

Politics aside, quality control issues can occur anywhere on the planet.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com
Old 09-10-2021, 5:25 AM

Holosun's are pretty solid for the price and features.
Old 09-10-2021, 6:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
Politics aside, quality control issues can occur anywhere on the planet.
That's definitely true. I was an early adopter of the 507C and mine was bad... died right away - internal board or some other spectacular failure. I didn't even get to drop it on carpet, only ran it on a 9mm slide. Second one seems better. I'm not a Trijicon fanboy, but out of four I have zero bad ones. That's my truth, hahah. I can beyotch about Trij all day for other reasons nit picking, but cannot say one bad thing about an AIMPOINT PRO... IMHO.
Old 09-10-2021, 7:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I got to shoot a 9mm pistol with a HS507C-X2 Reflex Sight 1x,
it was dead nuts when sighted in.

Quote:
List Price:
$364.69
Our Price:
$309.99
SHIPS FREE
Special Offer Available
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/10...10090302008005

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunndeal View Post
Stop digging.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:45 AM

OP,

I know this response may be late, but take a peek at this video with Hwansik Kim, He's a Carry Optics shooter (national level) and he mentions several optics beginning at 17:45.

I have a Delta Point Pro and two SRO's (both 5 MOA). I like the SRO better due to the larger window.

good luck!!
Old 09-10-2021, 11:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

As far as import RMR knock-off's go, HS is definitely the top pick these days. Just about everyone thinks they are at least pretty good. I have a couple Swamp Fox including the SRO knock-off... bigger window RDS. They work. RMR footprint. Hobby-grade-cheap at its finest.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:08 PM

https://fasttoys.net/shop/FTP-Optics...-Reflex-Sight/

This is supposed to be a good dot. I think its the same company that makes the Sig dot.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:30 PM

If Trijicon would fix their MRO HD (circuit board reflection on front lens)...

If Aimpoint would add a circle dot option...

If EOTech could improve battery life OR add shake-awake...

If all of the above would lower the price for 10 year old tech...

...Then nobody would buy a Holosun anymore.

Like it or not folks, Holosun has amazing tech... they're just not "battle tested" like the others. Which may not even mean anything these days... we all know the chicom's stole the tech out of Aimpoint anyway.

Holosun tech is good enough to be licensed by Sig for their Romeo line of RDS's. The Romeo5 series is actually manufactured by Holosun in china... and the Romeo4 series is 100% Holosun tech, but assembled in the US for ITAR stuff. We've seen plenty of Romeo4's in the wild, both LEO and MIL.

As others have said, the HE line from Holosun is titanium housing - which is strong and light weight.

Their "military grade" line is made of 7075 Aluminum - the same stuff your receiver is made from. It's strong enough for really anything that wouldn't damage your rifle too.

Their budget line is made from 6061 Aluminum, which definitely is the weakest of the options and will be deformed or damaged well before your rifle.

The electronics inside are mostly the same in all 3 variants, with exception to reticle options, color, solar or not, etc.

For what it's worth - Aimpoint is very cagey about what aluminum alloy they use on the housing. It's probably 7075 though. For Aimpoint factory mounts, they do say they use 6061 Aluminum... perhaps they use 6061 for the housing and just don't want to be directly compared to Holosun? Who knows... my guess would be it's 7075 though.

If you're going to pickup a Holosun, get the "military grade" line made from 7075 and use the extra cash you saved to buy more ammo or something. The HE line is probably not really worth the extra coin, unless you just want it (although they're sold out everywhere right now anyway...).

For Trijicon, Aimpoint, EOTech, Leupold, etc... you're paying a lot for the name, reputation and history - but you're not necessarily getting a better optic, but you are definitely getting old tech. For some, that name, reputation and history are worth a lot of coin and peace of mind, and old tech is often reliable tech.

I think you'd be very hard pressed to tell the difference between an Aimpoint T-2 and Holoson HS515 just be looking through them and handling the controls. And at half or 1/3 the price of the Aimpoint, you can get a lot of bang for your buck with a Holosun.

But yes, you are giving money to a Chinese company, and that is a deal breaker for some right from the start. Fair enough.

Last edited by NorCalRefuge; 09-10-2021 at 12:59 PM..
Old 09-10-2021, 1:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRefuge View Post
Holosun has amazing tech... they're just not "battle tested" like the others. Which may not even mean anything these days... we all know the chicom's stole the tech out of Aimpoint anyway.
HS is well regarded these days for the price. A titanium housing wasn't the issue on mine. it didn't have any dent or deformation. Something stopped working permanently inside because it was SUB-PAR. No armor on the outside would have helped.

You really think a SIG Romeo for $110 is the same as a Aimpoint Micro? It isn't.
Old 09-10-2021, 1:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Their "military grade" line is made of 7075 Aluminum - the same stuff your receiver is made from. It's strong enough for really anything that wouldn't damage your rifle too.
I'd want to hear what design improvements have been made internally to electronics.

MY cousin got a newer one... 509T ? It is more ruggedized. We will see how well it works and how long it lasts on a 9mm... Already got discontinued though AFAIK. I wonder why.

The battle-proven thing mentioned is not a small feat IMHO.

There is no free lunch these days even with China optics. If they make a really good one, it'll cost you.

I don't think Holosun is all hype and sizzle and paid reviews like O-Light or similar, and it is not 100% crap like Sightmark... but Holosun has a bit of that DNA and a bit of that stigma still. IMHO.
Old 09-10-2021, 2:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
I'd want to hear what design improvements have been made internally to electronics.

MY cousin got a newer one... 509T ? It is more ruggedized. We will see how well it works and how long it lasts on a 9mm... Already got discontinued though AFAIK. I wonder why.

There is no free lunch these days even with China optics. If they make a really good one, it'll cost you.

I don't think Holosun is all hype and sizzle and paid reviews like O-Light or similar, and it is not 100% crap like Sightmark... but Holosun has a bit of that DNA and a bit of that stigma still. IMHO.

508t v2 was discontinued due a lawsuit, iirc. The 509t is still being produced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2021, 2:34 PM

Quote:

Good points you raise. With the rise in Chinese military activity (and looking like they might consider going into Afghanistan soon enough), I'd wager we'll start seeing Holosun's used in hard situations before too long. There was a picture that floated around a few weeks back showing a chinese swat team training, and all were rocking Holosun optics... so I think we can assume domestically in China there's some sort of push to make quality optics.

I do think Sig's licensing of Holosun tech is very notable too, even if Sig is assembling in the US. It means the tech is solid, but perhaps QC or assembly has some corners cut in the Holosun factories (maybe... Holosun is trying hard to shed the "cheap chinesium" reputation).

Nobody really has anything bad to say about the Romeo4 or Romeo8, both Holosun tech & designs, and we've seen a lot of Romeo4's in the field, and adoption by the FBI.

Last edited by NorCalRefuge; 09-10-2021 at 3:06 PM..
Old 09-10-2021, 4:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
we can assume domestically in China there's some sort of push to make quality optics.

I do think Sig's licensing of Holosun tech is very notable too, even if Sig is assembling in the US. It means the tech is solid, but perhaps QC or assembly has some corners cut in the Holosun factories (maybe... Holosun is trying hard to shed the "cheap chinesium" reputation).
I think the Sig XL's look nice, but those are $600 MSRP IIRC. For something nice, you pay between Trijicon and Aimpoint prices... might as well get Trijicon.

The reticles are fun to cycle through on carpet in the house for sure. I bet a lot of people eventually switch to just the dot on models that support that.

You can't trust China at all. I do not trust China at all. Why in the hell would they send Mil grade anything here now. They wouldn't if they can help it. Not saying the Chinese government has control over HS.

SIG isn't the holy seal of approval either IMHO. If something was amiss, they would cover it up like Democrats and keep doing secret revisions that you would never know about. IMHO.
Old 09-10-2021, 4:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Romeo4 or Romeo8, both Holosun tech & designs, and we've seen a lot of Romeo4's in the field, and adoption by the FBI.
The FBI can be in the same boat as SIG too. They are full of it. I have no idea how much they love China, but nothing would surprise me.
Old 09-10-2021, 4:32 PM

Quote:
I think the Sig XL's look nice, but those are $600 MSRP IIRC. For something nice, you pay between Trijicon and Aimpoint prices... might as well get Trijicon.

The reticles are fun to cycle through on carpet in the house for sure. I bet a lot of people eventually switch to just the dot on models that support that.

You can't trust China at all. I do not trust China at all. Why in the hell would they send Mil grade anything here now. They wouldn't if they can help it. Not saying the Chinese government has control over HS.

SIG isn't the holy seal of approval either IMHO. If something was amiss, they would cover it up like Democrats and keep doing secret revisions that you would never know about. IMHO.
Personally, I tried out the circle dot and haven't looked back. Love, love, love the circle dot. I'd have an EOtech right now if I could leave it always on and not have to change batteries every month...

I don't trust China at all either - specifically the CCP. It is a pure evil government, probably the greatest evil in history - just far better at hiding it than anyone before. One day, there will be direct conflict with China... that much is sure.

While being a chinese company does quite literally mean they are an extension of the CCP - because that's how their government works and because the CCP can make life extremely unpleasant for everyone in the company if they do not comply - I don't think that necessarily means they aren't exporting "military grade" things at this point in time.

Think of it this way - Holosun gets to research, experiment, develop and test new technology while everyone pays them for these optics. They get to figure out what works and what doesn't, without having to deploy their own armed forces.

It's unquestionable - red dot sight technology was completely stagnant before Holosun came on the scene. You either had companies coasting on prior success (all the incumbents such as Aimpoint, Trijicon, etc), or total garbage knock off airsoft gear.

Now we get shake-awake, 10 year battery life, solar panel backup thing (verdict still out on this one... sounds nice for doomsdayers though), multiple reticle options, titanium housing (also verdict still out), auto-brightness (hate this feature, it doesn't have enough dynamic range and gets washed out if you use a white light), etc. You can even get Holosun models with glass lens flip caps and killFlash pre-installed if you want. Holosun is innovating.

We've seen the incumbents try to compete, Trijicon's MRO Patrol for example, but it's crazy expensive and still the same 10 year old tech. Then Trijicon releases the MRO HD, which has such an obvious "bug" it's crazy it even left the building (being able to see the circuit board's reflection in the front lens, wtf is that in a $700 optic???). Meanwhile, Aimpoint just counts on people wanting to buy their name forever and ever and does nothing new... same for EOTech, etc.
Old 09-10-2021, 4:36 PM

Quote:
The FBI can be in the same boat as SIG too. They are full of it. I have no idea how much they love China, but nothing would surprise me.
Maybe true, but I was also referring to the SF guys we've seen using Romeo4's, American SF and Brit SAS.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/SA...un-/18-735886/

Last edited by NorCalRefuge; 09-10-2021 at 4:44 PM..
Old 09-10-2021, 5:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

SURELY no one saw anyone running $120 red dots though. Romeo 5's?

If I had $380 to spend on a AMAZON ROMEO 4, I'd buy a $399 MRO or better yet a AIMPOINT PRO for $435 or whatever they cost now.

$380 is too close to real red dots. IMHO.

Someone in purchasing smoking that good SIG weed.
Old 09-10-2021, 5:29 PM

Holosun 507C X2 is the best bang for your buck

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2021, 5:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyde12 View Post
Holosun 507C X2 is the best bang for your buck

That does all seem to go together.

What slide is that with the Mass Driver?
Old 09-10-2021, 5:37 PM

Quote:
That does all seem to go together.

What slide is that with the Mass Driver?
Norsso Reptile C
Strike Industries Threadless Comp

Old 09-10-2021, 5:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

That does look like a cheap solar Chinese red dot, but if it has the SIG branding... must look good to someone

But what KNIFE is that?

Old 09-10-2021, 5:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyde12 View Post
Norsso Reptile C
Strike Industries Threadless Comp

Does that Mass Driver mate up to that slide 100? They fit OEM and SI slides.
Old 09-10-2021, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Does that Mass Driver mate up to that slide 100? They fit OEM and SI slides.
Actually it does... No gap and no marks after shooting it