Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 09-14-2021, 5:14 AM

Default Deer hunters, how do you deal with the bladder?

The way I was taught....when gutting the deer in the field, we'd roll the guts out of the body, reach way up toward the rectum, and 'milk the turds still in the bowel toward the guts in order to sever the large intestine. This leaves the bladder inside the carcass.

Then once hanging in the shed. After all the hide is off and the chest cavity is cleared out.... last bit of business was dealing with the bladder.

And it was a touch and go operation figuring out where to cut to get it out intact. My method ended up being to use the pecker as a handle of sorts... and to cut the meat through the pelvic bone to get the pecker back by the bunghole....then cut around the anus to release the bowel from the body....and lower the bladder into the carcass into the palm of my hand ....then discard it.

Everyone on the ranch I hunt does it this way. Bladder last... and there have been a few slip ups.....

In all the reading I've done, it seems as if at the time you gut the deer in the field, if you just cut around the anus to separate the bowel from the body.....the bladder just comes right out with the guts.

Thats how I'd like to do it.

Whats your process?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2021, 5:34 AM

The way I was taught:

Head uphill,
Cut around the bunghole first,
Slit the belly,
Roll the viscera out between the legs,
Use a leather strip to tie off the bladder (secure but edible by scavengers),
Pinch off the rectum as far back as possible and pull,
Cut the bladder - leaving the pecker to keep greenjeans happy
Remove the diaphragm and vitals,
Drain everything out the bunghole!

All in, it takes about 6 minutes, and if thereís blood above your wrists, prepare to be heckled!

Cheers,
Digger1
Old 09-14-2021, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgr1dman View Post
if thereís blood above your wrists, prepare to be heckled!

Digger1
The question I have for you: how would a guy not get blood on above his wrists when dealing with anything above the diaphragm? I'm always up to my elbows cutting out the esophagus.
Old 09-14-2021, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
The question I have for you: how would a guy not get blood on above his wrists when dealing with anything above the diaphragm? I'm always up to my elbows cutting out the esophagus.
Right.... usually that upper cavity is filled with blood... but I leave the vitals in until im back at the skinning shed. I make 2 slits in the diaphragm and lay the deer out stomach cavity on the ground with the head uphill to
let it drain while I fill out the tag.

Old 09-14-2021, 7:05 AM

I do it all in the field, bone saw and split the pelvic bones and as long as u don’t gut shoot it, it all comes out. Same with hogs.

I’m from the school that the faster u get everything out the better the meat.
Old 09-14-2021, 7:48 AM

You can use the gutless method and skip having to deal with the guts all together.

https://youtu.be/nbnp82DWMCE
Old 09-14-2021, 8:13 AM

Go gutless and never look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2021, 9:21 AM
CGSSA Associate

Gutless
Old 09-14-2021, 9:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Vet gloves. https://www.amazon.com/livestocktool.../dp/B073STBJPJ
Old 09-14-2021, 11:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Belly up, split the skin at the xyphoid up to the throat. Split the skin in the other direction back to the rear of the pelvis. Split the ribs with my knife. Cut the ******* out by running my knife around the inside of the pelvis from the outside of the animal. Use the trachea as a handle to start pulling the guts out, use knife as necessary to cut the diaphragm and any other connective tissue. Lift deer and drain carcass.

Dig through the gut pile for the trachea, heart, liver, and kidneys. If the lungs aren't too souped up take them too. Cut off any leftover diaphragm clinging to the viscera if easy enough and store with he offal.

Take the deer home, hang, skin, cut out the tongue and save with the offal.

I eat or make dog treats out of the offal.

If it's a buck don't forget the nutsack!
Old 09-14-2021, 11:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The way I was taught:

Head uphill,
Cut around the bunghole first,
Slit the belly,
Roll the viscera out between the legs,
Use a leather strip to tie off the bladder (secure but edible by scavengers),
Pinch off the rectum as far back as possible and pull,
Cut the bladder - leaving the pecker to keep greenjeans happy
Remove the diaphragm and vitals,
Drain everything out the bunghole!

All in, it takes about 6 minutes, and if there’s blood above your wrists, prepare to be heckled!

Cheers,
Digger1
What does the pecker have to do with a deer that has an antler with a fork in it? You do realize that a doe can actually have antlers and are legal (rare but it happens)
Old 09-14-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrvrrat View Post
Go gutless and never look back.

The only method I've ever used, get the meat away from body asap, lay out on tarp, when all meat parts are removed and cooling from body heat go in for tender loins etc now that good meat can't be effected. Once your done inside clean hands / change gloves and start de-boning on site. We dubbed this style as kids as poacher style.....as your always nealing down out of sight. Also drastically reduces pack out weight.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:53 AM

So.... what I'm gathering is that if you cut around the rectum at the time you gut it in the field.... the bladder and entire lower intestine come out with the guts.

NapalmCheese..... what do you consider offal? Why do you save the trachea? I'm Curious.

Old 09-14-2021, 12:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Gutless and don't worry about it.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:37 PM

Thanks all for the gutless suggestions... I dont have to pack the carcass far to get to a vehicle and camp has a skinning shed where we finish skinning then let the deer hang for a couple days.

The farthest I have to pack is a mile. Thats rare. I've got no issues packing out the carcass, skin on... and lots habogbto deal with flies and yellow jackets in the field trying to do a gutless job.

Last edited by mofugly13; 09-14-2021 at 12:41 PM..
Old 09-14-2021, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
What does the pecker have to do with a deer that has an antler with a fork in it? You do realize that a doe can actually have antlers and are legal (rare but it happens)
I must clarify that Iíve never had a doe tag, and Iíve never taken a doe, so my initial post was made with buck harvest in mind.

At the earliest opportunity, the carcass is hung and skinned, at which point the head is removed and the skull cap with the horns is cut free.

At this point, thereís no way to visually distinguish the sex of the carcass if the pecker is removed. We usually leave it until final cut and wrap (which is generally in a day or two!)

Cheers,
Digger1
Old 09-14-2021, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Itís general practice in our family to make head or neck shots, so the cavity is pretty clean.
That being said, if it was a vitals shot or gutshot, it will be messy, and you will get heckled!
If the bones are big enough to go for a chest shot (worthy of wall mount) then itís worth the flak!

Cheers,
Digger1
Old 09-14-2021, 1:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I must clarify that Iíve never had a doe tag, and Iíve never taken a doe, so my initial post was made with buck harvest in mind.

At the earliest opportunity, the carcass is hung and skinned, at which point the head is removed and the skull cap with the horns is cut free.

At this point, thereís no way to visually distinguish the sex of the carcass if the pecker is removed. We usually leave it until final cut and wrap (which is generally in a day or two!)

Cheers,
Digger1
You don't need a doe tag to kill an antlered doe. You do not need to keep the nuts to prove anything to the game warden. Just the head with antlers
Old 09-14-2021, 1:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default finger in the hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofugly13 View Post
In all the reading I've done, it seems as if at the time you gut the deer in the field, if you just cut around the anus to separate the bowel from the body.....the bladder just comes right out with the guts.
That's how I was taught... always clean the critter with medical gloves...

A finger up the bum can help when cutting the B hole out.

There is a tool designed to cut out the anus and not damage anything else...

not sure it is needed

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/hunt...-dressing-tool

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 09-14-2021, 1:35 PM

Quote:
You don't need a doe tag to kill an antlered doe. You do not need to keep the nuts to prove anything to the game warden. Just the head with antlers
Ok, thanks.
Old 09-14-2021, 2:20 PM

Quote:

Not sure this is true in all states.

Old 09-14-2021, 2:31 PM

The first time I saw this my mind turned to old guy thoughts and visits to my urologist. You young guys will understand ... in time.
Old 09-14-2021, 3:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Not sure this is true in all states.

Explain to me how you see a deer at 100 yards and check for a unit first. Its perfectly legal LOL
Old 09-14-2021, 6:54 PM
Veteran Member

My first cut is around the anus.
Old 09-14-2021, 7:22 PM

Default Deer hunters, how do you deal with the bladder?

Quote:
Explain to me how you see a deer at 100 yards and check for a unit first. Its perfectly legal LOL

If you remove the antlers from the carcass you have to leave proof of sex attached to largest piece of meat in many states. So it is not just as simple as having the head with antlers.

Last edited by sacrvrrat; 09-14-2021 at 7:29 PM..
Old 09-14-2021, 8:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Twist ties and take it out from the back

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 09-15-2021, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Quite a few states have a requirement to leave a sex organ attached, regardless of sex. I believe UT, WY, and CO have this requirement.

I think you're misunderstanding the requirement. Nobody is concerned about killing antlered does, and it does happen from time to time. I believe authorities are concerned about someone using a doe tag to kill a buck.
Old 09-15-2021, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Dog View Post
My first cut is around the anus.
And then you open the abdomen and remove the guts right? And the bladder comes right out with them, correct?

Old 09-15-2021, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ40 CRUZR View Post
I do it all in the field, bone saw and split the pelvic bones and as long as u donít gut shoot it, it all comes out. Same with hogs.

Iím from the school that the faster u get everything out the better the meat.
Pretty much how I feel. Carry a small folding saw in my kill kit. It's an Outdoor Edge saw, I think. It's flimsy & pretty cheap. But it has gotten the job done with minimal weight in the pack. Probably used it 5-10 times in the last 5 years and it has plenty of life left in it.

Can't say I do it exactly the same way every time. But the basic idea is the same -- I'll roll the intestines out of the way so I can saw the pelvic bone & then the sternum. All the viscera comes out in one big mass, usually starting with the esophagus/trachea all the way down to the rectum. I'll usually separate the heart & liver after it's out with the mass of organs & intestines. Keeps the carcass very clean.

The 2 times I did a deer without a bone saw, I started with a gutless-method style of quartering to get the main meat off the carcass first. Then I pulled the organs (reaching up to sever the trachea & free the organs from the rib cage) & intestines out of the way to access the loin. That ends up leaving the organs & intestines attached at the rectum to what is really just a bare rib cage, spine & pelvic bone (and forelegs). All that can get left in the field & save me the work of having to dig a big hole to bury it in at home.
Old 09-15-2021, 8:20 AM

Quote:
There are states that require proof of sex. Wyoming we had to keep the proof of sex on mule deer and in Alaska we had to for moose and caribou. reason for this is poachers will pull a Bull/Buck tag and shoot a buck or bull and keep the head than shoot a Cow/Doe and pack her out of the field for the better meat.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
If you remove the antlers from the carcass you have to leave proof of sex attached to largest piece of meat in many states. So it is not just as simple as having the head with antlers.

But this Calguns.net, not Idahoguns.net.

I'm not leaving any balls or pecker attached to any deer I shoot in California because it's not required. At least leave the disclaimer that it's not required for all states, because the majority of people reading this thread are from California and hunting California.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAD PEZZLE View Post
But this Calguns.net, not Idahoguns.net.

I'm not leaving any balls or pecker attached to any deer I shoot in California because it's not required. At least leave the disclaimer that it's not required for all states, because the majority of people reading this thread are from California and hunting California.

Both of my statements say it depends on the state. You can do whatever you want. Many people on here hunt out of state or donít live in CA.

Old 09-15-2021, 3:26 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I like to pierce it with a Havalon so it marinates the tenderloins.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2021, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofugly13 View Post
So.... what I'm gathering is that if you cut around the rectum at the time you gut it in the field.... the bladder and entire lower intestine come out with the guts.

NapalmCheese..... what do you consider offal? Why do you save the trachea? I'm Curious.

Yeah, if you cut the butthole out everything pulls out through the inside. I don't even bother tying anything off most of the time. I push out 'on deck' pellets one way or the the other and just drag the bladder and rectum up through the pelvis.

Full disclosure, I'm not real fond of most organ meat. That being said, I recognize that: heart, tongue, liver, and kidney are all edible and I pack them out. Often I'll turn them into dog treats. Sometimes I'll eat the heart. Good flavor, but not my favorite texture.

I also cut out all the skinny meat between the ribs (also great dog treats or tossed in with the grind). By the time I'm done neither vultures nor coyotes have much to eat. They didn't help me kill it, why should they help me eat it?

I keep the trachea because my dogs love them. I just clean them and throw them in the dehydrator. I often have to cut them in half or they're too tall for the tray.

I've not yet kept the lungs, but a couple of years ago I was talking to a person that dehydrates sheep lungs for her dogs. Since then I figured if I ever shot an animal and didn't destroy it's lungs I'd bring them home and try it.

I also save the hides and tan them eventually, and retrieve sinew from the hocks and spine.

I might try keeping the toes and/or caping the feet this year. Traditionally they were used for rattles and adornment, I might find some other use for them.

I've got some bones buried in my back yard from a few years ago hopefully get nice and clean of meat, and deeply colored for use in knife and tool handles. Usually I just bring the big round bones home, cut them open, roast them, and use them in stock.

There's a group of guys I hunt with that nearly always take their game into a processor. I was running short on time one year when I shot my buck and decided to follow suit (just getting it skinned, quartered, and frozen so I can finish the job at home). One of the guys processing meat overheard me talking about all the stuff I cut while another guy got pissed off because the tongue was cut out (they put the hang tag on the tongue). The first guy told the pissed off guy "Yeah, that dude cut out the tongue, he keeps everything but the ****ing farts!"

Last edited by NapalmCheese; 09-15-2021 at 9:13 PM..
Old 09-15-2021, 11:56 PM

Gutless is my preference these days. But this year I did end up messing with the bladder and I wondered about using a catheter to decompress the bladder first
Old 09-16-2021, 7:18 AM

Gutless is the only way to go.
Guns dont kill people, Dads with pretty Daughters kill people.
Old 09-16-2021, 7:29 AM
Veteran Member

https://youtu.be/EdFtwFN5G4A
Old 09-16-2021, 9:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieeater View Post
I like to pierce it with a Havalon so it marinates the tenderloins.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
You're doing it wrong then. It's much easier to just reach up and grab it and then pull it out. It will aerate more evenly inside the carcass.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoni View Post
Gutless is the only way to go.

If you're packing it out and weight is the concern yes.

If you would prefer the first possible contact with contamination be a kitchen counter no.

https://billstclair.com/Unintended-Consequences.pdf

I was born under a wandrin star.