Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns Expatriates
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Expatriates For members who have left California but remain Calgunners

Old 08-28-2021, 11:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Can definitely tell your not in Ca. anymore

Renewed my wife's 2015 Camry, right around 75.00 cheaper then before. Did a online renewal process on Wednesday, received the plate sticker and new registration today.

I guess not all DMVs are equal.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:01 PM

That's great! Don't you just love not being in CA?

I just got the license for our truck, 2001 Chevy, and the registration was $200 less than it was in CA. Plus we are in a smog check free county, so no more of that BS.

I'm not paranoid, I know they're out to get me.

NRA Life Member
Old 08-28-2021, 1:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by howbobert View Post

I just got the license for our truck, 2001 Chevy, and the registration was $200 less than it was in CA. Plus we are in a smog check free county, so no more of that BS.
Sometimes I have to stop and realize how much different our life is now. It's night and day. The freedoms you all of a sudden have are sometimes hard to believe.

We both wish we could have done it years ago.
Old 09-04-2021, 4:34 PM

I got a letter in the mail from CA DMV asking 500$ to renew my truck's registration. Drove down to the TX DPS, 200$ later I got new plates and registration in about 1 hr.
Old 09-05-2021, 9:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by howbobert View Post

Idaho's Ada and Canyon county smog checks involve plugging a dmv-connected computer into your OBDII socket on the car. If no drive train related farts show up, you are gtg. The check takes a couple of minutes and runs ~ $10...and it's every 2 years.

Tactical is like boobs...you can sell anything with it....arf

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 09-05-2021, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman0154 View Post
I got a letter in the mail from CA DMV asking 500$ to renew my truck's registration. Drove down to the TX DPS, 200$ later I got new plates and registration in about 1 hr.
Make sure you fill out and mail in the CA DMV form "Statement of Facts" regarding your vehicles no longer being used in CA, and registered in TX. They will attach collection to your state taxes if they don't receive your registration monies.
Also, make sure to c9ntact the registrar of voters in your old county to get off the voter rolls. My son has been in Houston for 5 years now, and has had nithing but problems being ereased from Santa Cruz county's rolls. My wife is still getting a mail in ballot to our CA P.O. box. Even though she is a registered voter in Kootenai County, ID.
"If they will not understand that we bring them a mathematical faultless happiness, our duty will be to force them to be happy. But before we take up arms, we shall try the power of words." Yevgeny Zamyatin- "We"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
Idaho's Ada and Canyon county smog checks involve plugging a dmv-connected computer into your OBDII socket on the car. If no drive train related farts show up, you are gtg. The check takes a couple of minutes and runs ~ $10...and it's every 2 years.
From what I hear this is incorrect. It also includes a visual inspection even on old pre 97 diesel engines. But, since I'm in Gem county, IDK for sure

Old 09-09-2021, 7:57 AM

The wife and I are in Minnesota for three months then on to Tennessee for good. Very few mask 'em up folks here, mostly older folks and the usual SHEEPLE types here and there. Big difference in general attitude here. A few if not vaxxed wear a mask signs on some business doors here and there, and ignored by me and the other family members here. Like they told us at Fort Ord back in '65 " reach back and grab yourself by the ears and pull your head out and give yourself some air " when the young troopers screwed up at Trainfire on the firing ranges. A few here but not like Kaw lee pfhorn yuh has wherever you go. ITS GREAT to be outa there.

Psalm 1
Old 09-09-2021, 8:34 AM

SC DMV smokes any CA DMV. Wife and I went in to get our DL/real ID. Brought all docs. No waiting. Everyone friendly and helpful (except the bossy woman running the camera). Walked out in less than 45 minutes with new DL cards in hand (printed on site). This is in a small town (25k) in a small county (70k).

The next week after getting insurance valid in SC I registered two vehicles. Here you pay annual property tax on cars/boats/etc. but reg is cheap. They also gouge first time out of staters with a $250 infrastructure maintenance fee. No waiting at county office to pay tax. No waiting at DMV to register. Walked out with new plates and reg stickers. Title will be mailed. Total cost less than CA.
Old 09-09-2021, 9:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtonhouse View Post
Make sure you fill out and mail in the CA DMV form "Statement of Facts" regarding your vehicles no longer being used in CA, and registered in TX. They will attach collection to your state taxes if they don't receive your registration monies.
Also, make sure to c9ntact the registrar of voters in your old county to get off the voter rolls. My son has been in Houston for 5 years now, and has had nithing but problems being ereased from Santa Cruz county's rolls. My wife is still getting a mail in ballot to our CA P.O. box. Even though she is a registered voter in Kootenai County, ID.
My wife also got a CA ballot. It was mailed to our Hayden address. A few years back, when CA DMV told me that I would have to pay a penalty because my PU registration had expired a month earlier, I handed them its CA plates and said that I was not there to pay anything but just to return their plates.
Old 09-11-2021, 7:58 PM

Default Can't Wait to Escape!

My escape date is either the 15th or 16 of Sept, 2021. Sadly I will have to return to get my possessions.
After doing all sorts of research and checking about the moving industry I have come to the sad conclusion that it is one of the least regulated (not that I am a fan of super regulations but there are times when good conduct has to be enforced), least consumer oriented, most crooked industries which we have in our great land. I am sure the kinds of things I ran into with interstate moving might well affect someone going from Siskyou County to San Diego County. In case anyone is interesteed watch out for moving brokers (promise the sun, the moon, and the stars for half the price of anyone else, then bone you at the end somehow); movers who make unbinding estimates (gives them the legal right to really stick it to you at the end), movers who go by weight (perhaps not all of them do it but they can weigh the van empty of people,fuel, and cargo; then load it up with your possessions, a full load of fuel, and lots of people so you can be charged for a huge and inaccurate weight); promise speedy delivery maybe just a few days when federal rules prevent such long trips for drivers; or take forever and a day to deliver and when delibery happens your stuff is damaged, or lost, or mixed with someone else's.
Net, net bottom line, if you must move, even within one state, try to avoid a professional mover.
David J.
Old 09-11-2021, 8:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

rub it in why doncha?

sounds pleasant, the polar opposite of CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunndeal View Post
Stop digging.
Old 09-13-2021, 5:53 PM
CGSSA Associate

Location: We will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them w/o doing anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand Hunter View Post
The wife and I are in Minnesota for three months then on to Tennessee for good. Very few mask 'em up folks here, mostly older folks and the usual SHEEPLE types here and there. Big difference in general attitude here. A few if not vaxxed wear a mask signs on some business doors here and there, and ignored by me and the other family members here. Like they told us at Fort Ord back in '65 " reach back and grab yourself by the ears and pull your head out and give yourself some air " when the young troopers screwed up at Trainfire on the firing ranges. A few here but not like Kaw lee pfhorn yuh has wherever you go. ITS GREAT to be outa there.

Psalm 1
Whereabouts in TN? I'm researching real estate 20-40 minutes outside of Knoxville. Talked to a few friends there and they say it's a great state. What sold you on the state?
Old 09-13-2021, 7:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
Still too much. Need to get that crap off the books. Idaho should not let Californiacation to take deep root.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 09-13-2021, 7:50 PM
Calguns Addict

I know I’m not it California anymore when I see drainage ditches instead of sidewalks.
Old 09-14-2021, 9:29 AM
On Everyone's Ignore List
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
I know I知 not it California anymore when I see drainage ditches instead of sidewalks.

No ****

Being north of 65 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.
Old 09-15-2021, 7:32 AM

I know I'm not in California when the name of governor is other than Newsom.
Old 09-15-2021, 7:34 AM

Can’t wait….
Just remember BAMN - there is no level too low for them to stoop!
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
COVID survivor - ain稚 gonna get pricked!
Old 09-15-2021, 7:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phouty View Post
I know I'm not in California when the name of governor is other than Newsom.
Signature worthy line there.
Old 09-16-2021, 1:52 PM
Calguns Addict

When I changed my car insurance to Texas I was able to add my home insurance for the same price...
Old 09-21-2021, 6:59 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

2015 Harley Davidson, CA it was $408 - TN it's $24
2018 Silverado, CA it was $500-ish - TN it's $24

I add the cool Gadsden plates, that runs it up to $60.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2a2a.jpg (71.0 KB, 280 views)

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 09-22-2021, 8:22 PM

My 2500hd went from 375 to 75 and that included transfer fees in az plus that dps tax.This year i will probably be in the 30 buck range,

But i will say there are some incompetent mvd employees i have not yet transferred my sand rail as i gave up on it last summer they said i couldnt do it because ca title doesnt list a model for special contruction vehichles or assign a year model.Az mvd told me i had to do a bonded title on something i already have a title then found out from somewhere else i needed to go to adot they did an inspection all good i thought then back to mvd and they would only issue me a full size street only plate for an off road only car and it would need emissions testing which it wont pass.LOL I told them well i guess you dont want my money and kept it registered in az.

I have a few friends with sand rails they get atv as body type and they considered mine dunebuggy and wont change it.
Old 09-22-2021, 8:35 PM

Just pray that the liberals from California don't migrate to your state and turn it into a shiethole.
Old 09-25-2021, 7:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Renewed registration...

...on the daily driver. 2013 Land Cruiser...$55.00 for the next year, including $4 for doing it online. I did the computer stuff Tuesday and got tags in the mail today.

Heaven goes by favor.
Old 09-25-2021, 7:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
I know I’m not it California anymore when I see drainage ditches instead of sidewalks.
My 1/4 mile southern border ends in the middle an irrigation canal. A drainage ditch for part of the field and pasture runs down my eastern border by about 1/4 mile. No sidewalks, just 4 feet of gravel on each side of the street.

Heaven goes by favor.

Last edited by -hanko; 09-26-2021 at 10:54 AM..
Old 09-25-2021, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Florida DMV beats them all IMHO...
You walk put with everything to include a hunting license if you want. I was in and out with a new license in hand in less than 30 mins and under $30...
The oddest part was they were nice.... really nice
Old 09-26-2021, 11:53 AM

I know I'm not in California, but in a great state of Missouri where no fishing or hunting licence is required for citizens 65 and older.
(Although some stamps e.g. for deer or turkey hunting are still required).
On privately owned properties above 5 acres owners and direct family members can fish without licence regardless of their age.
Old 09-26-2021, 4:54 PM

For Musick, we are looking at towns/cities east of knoxville, 2nd admendment and christian sanctuary state. The kids are in Dandridge and White Pine. Also we are looking at Morristown also. Lots of stuff on Realtor.com and Zillow.com.
With your papers ducks all in a row, easy and short time for Tenn drivers license. So says one of the son in laws.

Psalm 1

Last edited by Garand Hunter; 09-26-2021 at 4:55 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-27-2021, 8:42 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
For Musick, we are looking at towns/cities east of knoxville, 2nd admendment and christian sanctuary state. The kids are in Dandridge and White Pine. Also we are looking at Morristown also. Lots of stuff on Realtor.com and Zillow.com.
With your papers ducks all in a row, easy and short time for Tenn drivers license. So says one of the son in laws.

Psalm 1
Stay away from Newport, resist lower property prices GH.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 09-27-2021, 2:13 PM

Stay away from Newport....we will stay away. One of the kids already there sad likewise.

Psalm 1
Old 09-27-2021, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInOroValley View Post
Sometimes I have to stop and realize how much different our life is now. It's night and day. The freedoms you all of a sudden have are sometimes hard to believe.

We both wish we could have done it years ago.
My freedom moment was when I bought an AK and 1k rounds in the parking lot of a restaurant. Love this state!
Old 09-28-2021, 10:59 AM

I know I'm not in California anymore when a hearing protection devices I use, do not pinch my earlobs, but instead 'pinch' the business ends of the barrels of my firearms.
Old 09-29-2021, 6:44 PM
CGSSA Associate

Location: We will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them w/o doing anything

Quote:

Psalm 1
Cool. I do like realtor.com with the crime and flood overlay features. Without being there it does help figuring out neighborhood topography and safety.
Old 09-30-2021, 6:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaJames83 View Post
Florida DMV beats them all IMHO...
You walk put with everything to include a hunting license if you want. I was in and out with a new license in hand in less than 30 mins and under $30...
The oddest part was they were nice.... really nice
i can do that at 3 local hardware stores and 2 farm supply places.

Heaven goes by favor.
Old 10-01-2021, 5:43 PM

Well, well, well. I just realized after 'impulse buying' Ruger Max-9, Model 3504 today, which I saw at the local dealer, that one doesn't live in Commiefornia anymore, when amount of gas stations in a nearby small town is less than the amount of gun stores operating in this small town.
Talking about such a toy, being perfect for open, or concealed carry. (MO is constitutional carry state).
https://ruger.com/products/max-9/specSheets/3504.html
Just came back home, and wanted to shoot it right away, but right now is raining, and my wife doesn't allow me to shoot through an open door or window from inside of the house.
(Isn't it a blatant violation of my 2nd Amendment rights, is it)?
Old 10-08-2021, 6:22 PM
Veteran Member

I've been gone for a year but it hit me square in the face this week when at my granddaughters charter school (American Preparatory Academy) all the students (grades K-8) stood together in the gym before class and said the Pledge of Allegiance and then sang the National Anthem, both verses. I asked my wife and she confirmed that they do this every day before going to class.