Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Cordelia Gun Exchange
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2015, 5:35 PM

Default bad experience at cordelia gun exchange

i was refused for a PPT today at cordelia gun exchange. me and the seller decided to meet there because it was equidistant from our houses. we had both called CGE a few weeks ago to confirm they would do the PPT. they said "yes" during both phone calls, giving no indication that they required an appointment or that they only do them when they have room in their storage.

well fast forward to today. i arrived at 10:45 and notice a sign on the door that says "ppt by appointment only." store opens at 11:00, i talk to the guy at the front desk and ask if they can make an exception, since they made no mention of the need for an appointment when i called two weeks ago. he asks what we're transferring... i say a ruger pistol... he says they only have room in storage for three rifles; no space for pistols.

i didn't argue with him, but this makes absolutely no sense as you can fit a couple dozen pistols in an empty space that will fit three rifles. the guy behind me in line speaks up and says "if it makes any difference, i am here to pick up a pistol"... the CGE clerk still says no.

i leave the store and call kevin smith...the worlds best FFL. he says he'll help me out if i can convince the seller to drive down to martinez. seller was more than accommodating and wouldn't even accept money for gas and bridge toll. many thanks to kevin and the seller for making this all work out.

i drive by cordelia gun exchange often, and will NEVER set foot in that store again. boo!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2015, 5:41 PM
RSG Minion, Senior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Make sure the boss/owner at CGE knows that and why.

Companies like this should always give a long grace period and post notices if they are going change their polices.
Old 05-12-2015, 4:51 PM

I would say give them a second chance, I have been dealing with Pavel and Eric since they started. The expansion is great but the new faces can lead to miscommunications, some one should have told you the ppt is by appt only. I would agree to let Pavel know, he's very accommodating.
Old 05-12-2015, 5:10 PM
Calguns Addict

I did a ppt there a month or two ago. Drove 90 mins and the guy behind the counter tells me he doesn't know if he has room in the safe. Then he says he can but just the receiver and stock. I buy two gun socks (swapped ****guns) and they did the transfer. I'm glad it worked out but makes me think they need another safe.

I was refused a ppt at MTG in Elk Grove one time for the same reason. No problem since there are 2-3 other local gun shops.

I could see how that would be annoying since you called.
Old 05-12-2015, 6:09 PM

I have also had very great dealing with Pavel and Eric. I've been a customer for about a year now. Although I will say they seem to be much better in face to face interaction than over the phone type stuff. Their safe must tiny because I constantly hear stories about their safe being too small to accommodate customers.
Old 05-12-2015, 8:39 PM

i don't believe for a minute that their safe is too small... i think they just use the safe as an excuse to get out of doing PPTs. totally lame excuse.

bottom line this boils down to lack of customer service skills. on separate occasions both the seller and i called CGE asking about doing a PPT. they never mentioned the need for an appointment. if that is your store policy, simply asking "would you like to make an appointment" should be the logical next step. from there, they could make up some BS story about being booked solid through July 2018. but at least that would have prompted me to make alternate plans and save me and the seller from wasting time driving down to CGE...ever.
Old 06-11-2015, 5:27 PM

screw them go to kevin smith funny guy and is up with all the stupid laws etc he will take care of you, BUT you may buy something he has cause he has cool stuff.
Old 08-28-2015, 9:33 PM

The right to refuse PPT for any reason is not in the CA FFL License agreement. CAL the DOJ and report them.

- Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Volunteer LDW
Old 08-28-2015, 9:38 PM
Veteran Member

I would like to hear what Cordelia Gun Exchange has to say about it. If they have the courage to defend their actions.

Former Front Sight Commander Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
NRA Instructor: Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Range Safety Officer
Old 08-28-2015, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterX View Post
The right to refuse PPT for any reason is not in the CA FFL License agreement. CAL the DOJ and report them.

Is that a ca DOJ thing cause I asked the atf investigator about this and they said a licensee has the right to decide whether or not to do a ppt. But I've heard other shops say they are obligated to do ppts and can't refuse them. So now I'm confused.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:37 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I did a ppt at another shop last year. Guy I was selling to had never been to this shop before and was just getting into guns. too make a long story short when he picked up the gun I sold him he bought another one from the shop and when the 10 days was up on that another lol. I know ppts are a pain but jeeze they get people in the shop.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:20 AM

yes, they do get people into the shop. as i mentioned in the original post, i drive by cordelia gun exchange very often and would have stopped by (and likely made purchases) on a regular basis. but now, instead of giving them my money, i tell everyone how much they suck.

based on what a few different FFLs have told me, my understanding of the PPT law is that they cannot refuse to do a PPT and they cannot charge more than $10 per firearm (in addition to state fees).
Old 10-08-2015, 3:55 PM
In Memoriam

Don't believe everything you hear on the internet.
I have never had any problems there.I'll go again.

Last edited by thomashoward; 10-27-2015 at 7:11 PM..
Old 10-19-2015, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashoward View Post
Don't believe everything you hear on the internet. I have never had any problems there.
I was involved in that transfer and that's what happened.
Old 10-19-2015, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxWoodsHunterxX View Post
Is that a ca DOJ thing cause I asked the atf investigator about this and they said a licensee has the right to decide whether or not to do a ppt. But I've heard other shops say they are obligated to do ppts and can't refuse them. So now I'm confused.
it is a CA Penal Code thing, so it is CADOJ.

ATF doesn't care about CA PC and any requirements to do PPTs.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:22 AM

Just did a PPT there without any issues. Called ahead of time, made arrangements and brought a gun sock. Nice people at the store, will go there again to do business.
Old 11-10-2015, 3:14 PM

I've never been to CGE, but I consider these posts very helpful in deciding where to do a PPT. So thanks OP il take your word and just avoid this place as I myself would've hated to have to drive all the way there to get refused.
Same thing with turners, I was selling a friend a Glock and they refused him because he somehow lost his car registration at the time. Sure he should've checked beforehand but still I find it dumb that they can't take 2nd form of residency on pickup like a lot of other FFLs do. Most of their workers just seem lazy and don't want to spend their time AT WORK doing their job, rather they just want to chit chat amongst themselves. I confirmed this when asking if they would take in a handgun from someone in NorCal that I wanted to buy, but they said they would only do it if they didn't have the firearm in stock, because it's just a lot of paperwork. Well if that's the case then just gtfo of the firearms business because a lot of transactions req a lot of paperwork. And again I wouldn't mind as much if they were actually packed 24/7 but of all the times I've been to a Turners they had AT LEAST 2 people behind the counter just chit chatting away even when they were somewhat busy. Just a bunch of lazy workers and atmosphere there.
Old 01-11-2016, 6:21 PM

Not doubting the OP's experience, some places are just hit or miss. I just did a transfer at CGE and they let me in with no PPT and no grief over the exchange. But it might have helped that they knew the guy selling the handgun I was buying.
Old 02-03-2016, 2:34 PM

Well, I've made up my mind already.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:38 PM

Comes down to how much businesses value the chance to engage with a potential customer. For the Money, PPTs aren't what some may describe as a money maker. But it's sad that some shops don't realize that it's an opportunity to earn - or lose - customer. Doing a PPT earns the shop 3 visits and $10. With the cost of advertising, and Sounds like a Good deal to me.
Old 04-03-2016, 5:51 PM
SeƱor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Guns Fishing and Other Stuff at both locations REFUSE to do PPT's on the Weekends, with or without an appointment. I told them it was the law, they said it is store Policy. I will never go there again. Also wouldn't do one after 6pm in the evenings. I guess they expect you to take time off from work or just hope you will go away.
Well...
You could see if you can purchase ANY firearm outside of those hours.
It could be that they require the manager to handle all firearms transaction, since it's the store's FFL that is on the line if they screw up.

Or...

You can play into the hands of the left and report them to the DOJ and BATFE who will fine them and hurt yet another gun shop in California.

Take your business elsewhere.
Some people obviously like them enough to keep them in business. They don't need you or me. Just vote with your feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:07 PM

CGE is a really good shop. They do have some new faces and it's a learning curve. They have always treated .email very well BUT what really made the difference was how they treated my wife. Overall one of the best shops around.
I'd give Pavel a call and give him a chance to make it right.
Old 08-11-2016, 9:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not knowing about the appointment policy and having driven from Sacramento to meet someone from San Francisco to do a PPT, when the guy at the counter said "do you have an appointment" I knew what was coming next so I said "yes". He said "who did you make it with" and I said "a guy with a Russian sounding name". He said "Pavel"? Yeah that's the guy I said. And the PPT went just fine after that.

I did call and ask if they did PPT's and I did talk to Pavel. He never mentioned appointments or needing a gun sock. Thanks a lot Pavel.

Got a jury summons? Know your rights! http://fija.org/