Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-22-2021, 8:34 PM
remusrm remusrm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 248
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default scope for 308... first timer here... be gentle

Got my Predator but I have mixed info on scope... Too much magnification, Field of View size? School me!

I want to spend under 350 with tax so I can reach past 500 yards and maybe touch a human silhouette at 1000!

I am between these:

Crossfire® II
6-18x44 AO
Dead-Hold BDC (MOA) Reticle | 1 inch Tube


Crossfire® II
4-12x50 AO
Dead-Hold BDC (MOA) Reticle | 1 inch Tube


Are these good?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-22-2021, 8:40 PM
theLBC's Avatar
theLBC theLBC is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: the lbc
Posts: 3,032
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

call doug at cameraland and give him your budget.

https://cameralandny.com/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-22-2021, 9:23 PM
b1gdave32's Avatar
b1gdave32 b1gdave32 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 951
Posts: 510
iTrader: 35 / 100%
Default

$350 range prolly a vortex diamondback tactical 4-16 or a swfa 10x
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-22-2021, 9:35 PM
osis32's Avatar
osis32 osis32 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,781
iTrader: 30 / 100%
Default

https://smile.amazon.com/Vortex-Opti...4062065&sr=8-1

I have a couple of these for sale but I want 300 you can probably get it cheaper from Amazon
__________________
Just a conservative guy in a Leftist Authoritarian state.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-22-2021, 10:01 PM
dchan521 dchan521 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Central Valley
Posts: 438
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

I personally prefer a 30mm tube with a 50mm eye relief.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-23-2021, 6:03 AM
middleofnowhere's Avatar
middleofnowhere middleofnowhere is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 197
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I would avoid buying a Chinese made optic if you can.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-23-2021, 5:40 PM
osis32's Avatar
osis32 osis32 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,781
iTrader: 30 / 100%
Default

Yeah not gonna happen in his price range and requirements. USA made scopes are expensive
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-23-2021, 8:15 PM
Munny$hot Munny$hot is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,041
iTrader: 56 / 100%
Default

The SWFA SS 10X is built like a tank for 300.00. It has great glass, tracks excellent, rated for .50 cal, proven track record, lifetime guaranteed, and is very well suited for a .308 capabilities.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-23-2021, 9:15 PM
waveslayer's Avatar
waveslayer waveslayer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,438
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

SWFA for that price range.

But don't skimp on glass! Worth the investment

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-23-2021, 10:53 PM
russ13 russ13 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 257
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

What are you going to be using the rifle for?? Range ? Hunting?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-23-2021, 10:58 PM
russ13 russ13 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 257
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

The sfwa is a nice scope with great turrets and pretty clear glass for the money.
Another one to Think about if you want a variable power scope is the primary arms 4-14 FFP. Good scope for a good price



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-24-2021, 6:05 AM
HK Dave's Avatar
HK Dave HK Dave is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rowland Heights, CA
Posts: 5,684
iTrader: 76 / 100%
Default

Spend money on glass first, rifle second. If your scope doesn’t track or you can’t see your target, it doesn’t matter how good your rifle is, you won’t be hitting anything.

I second calling Greg at cameralandny or the folks at cstactical.

If you’re just starting our biggest bang for the buck are fixed 10x scopes by Swfa. Only swfa sells them. Best glass and turret tracking for the money. If you ever move up to bigger scopes after you’ve learned in the swfa, it’ll be easy to sell. It’s also one you won’t have to sell.

Buy cheap China optics and when it comes time to upgrade, you’ll get pennies on the dollar.

Last edited by HK Dave; 02-24-2021 at 6:56 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-24-2021, 7:25 AM
smoothy8500's Avatar
smoothy8500 smoothy8500 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,771
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default

3rd on calling Cameraland or buying an SWFA 10X.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-24-2021, 8:44 AM
RovingCodeMonkey RovingCodeMonkey is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

If you want to go American Riton optics have a fantastic warranty and glass quality.

https://ritonoptics.com/product-cate...s/riflescopes/

A bit on the heavy side but the glass quality is good
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-24-2021, 8:50 AM
daveinwoodland's Avatar
daveinwoodland daveinwoodland is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In a free state as of Sept.
Posts: 6,747
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

How about Redfield scopes?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-24-2021, 9:27 AM
ScottsBad's Avatar
ScottsBad ScottsBad is offline
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bye Bye Commiefornia!
Posts: 5,509
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

I stay away from Chinese glass. But Japanese glass can be very good. $350 is not a lot of money for a scope. I'd save up for a little while.
__________________
C'mon man, shouldn't we ban Democracks from Cal-Guns? Or at least send them to re-education camps.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-24-2021, 2:24 PM
DrewTheBrave's Avatar
DrewTheBrave DrewTheBrave is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,314
iTrader: 24 / 100%
Default

If your budget can't go any higher, get an SWFA fixed power scope. The 10x or 12x at $300 will be dead nuts reliable and will last several lifetimes. You'll be happy to have a scope that will survive anything and everything you can drag it through.

If you can save up a bit more, I'd wait until you can get something in the next price tier. The $500 price range gets you optics of much higher quality (glass, features, internals, reliability, etc) than the $300 range.

Crimson Trace 3 Series on clearance $449 from $900 - this is high quality Japanese glass that will help you see clearly at long range. I don't think you can find a better deal right now than this for what you want to do.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020619264

The Burris Veracity is on sale for $459, down from $630-700. It's made in the Philippines, which is where a lot of mid and upper-mid tier optics come from these days.
https://www.natchezss.com/blemished-...e1-matte..html
__________________
WTB: Beretta 92/M9 series (non-railed), Remington 1100 LT-20,
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-26-2021, 8:42 PM
tankarian's Avatar
tankarian tankarian is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,206
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Swift Optics, take a look at their Premier Line. Made in Korea.
http://swift-sportoptics.com/
__________________
BLACK RIFLES MATTER!

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-26-2021, 9:55 PM
Unforgiven's Avatar
Unforgiven Unforgiven is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sacramento Ca.
Posts: 771
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

What’s wrong with you? Can you not use the search function? I can’t believe your post. Was that gentle enough. Jk.
__________________
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

Benjamin Franklin
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-27-2021, 3:01 PM
ptmn ptmn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 665
iTrader: 36 / 100%
Default

Leupold recently discontinued the Mark AR series scopes(replaced with the lesser quality Freedom series), but you can find one used for about 3 to 4 hundred. They are backed by Leupold's full lifetime warranty.

They were marketed for AR15 series rifles, so a lot of people disregarded them for 308's at face value. Big mistake. They have eye relief more than sufficient for 308, they have multicoat4 lenses like their high end scopes, adjustable objectives and the kicker...for 60 dollars the Leupold custom shot will make you a custom Bullet Drop Compensator bc dial for your specific rifle/ammo. I set 2 of my co-workers 308's up with Mark AR scopes and they love them.

Benchrest shooters and a lot of PX commandos poopoo BDC' scopes, for some legit reasons (there are several) and some stupid ones because they read in some magazine or heard from an "experienced friend", but I grew up with the M24 sniper weapon system with the BDC Leupold Mk4 M3 fixed 10x prior to transitioning to the M110 SWS. I like the simplicity and speed of the BDC.

If you go the Mark AR route, I suggest the 4-12x40 version based on what you posted on what you want to do with your rifle. I still use a Leupold Mk4 M3 10x40 30mm tube on my R700 PSS 308, but I have both a Mark AR 4-12x40 and a Horus Falcon with H59 reticle stashed away as a spare scopes (no, none of them are for sale).
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-27-2021, 3:12 PM
kingransom's Avatar
kingransom kingransom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ventura county
Posts: 1,131
iTrader: 70 / 100%
Default

Just my opinion, but I think second focal plane reticles with a bdc are mostly worthless as the bdc calculations are only correct at the highest magnification. Don't know about you but I don't like shooting at 18x on a scope whose Max mag is 18x. Eye box sucks, clarity kind of sucks, but to each his own. I think op might be better off going with a 1-8 or 1-10 lpvo as it makes the rifle more useful in closer situations but still provide enough magnification to reach out to the yardage that he's looking to do.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-01-2021, 12:33 PM
Peahi2's Avatar
Peahi2 Peahi2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 300
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
Spend money on glass first, rifle second. If your scope doesn’t track or you can’t see your target, it doesn’t matter how good your rifle is, you won’t be hitting anything.

I second calling Greg at cameralandny or the folks at cstactical.

If you’re just starting our biggest bang for the buck are fixed 10x scopes by Swfa. Only swfa sells them. Best glass and turret tracking for the money. If you ever move up to bigger scopes after you’ve learned in the swfa, it’ll be easy to sell. It’s also one you won’t have to sell.

Buy cheap China optics and when it comes time to upgrade, you’ll get pennies on the dollar.
TRUTH!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-01-2021, 3:42 PM
Surferchris1 Surferchris1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Roseville
Posts: 162
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

I'll throw my vote in the SWFA camp, I own three and am very happy with them; but there are a few other things to consider since you said you were new to all this.

Reticle: I've never been impressed with bullet drop compensating reticles. They might get you in the ballpark, if you find ammunition that happens to match the reticles ballistics, and the temperature is right, and you're shooting at just the right altitude... They might be "combat accurate" out to a few hundred yards but not really precise enough to play at the long or even medium distances. Go with something Mil-Dot based, that will work on any rifle and for any ammunition, and once you figure out your drops they will still be accurate if you change scopes down the road. SWFA checks this box.

Knobs: Get them in the unit of measurement that matches your reticle. If your reticle is in Mil's get a scope with knobs in Mils. If your reticle is in MOA get a scope with MOA knobs. SWFA checks this box too.

Adjustable parallax: You want this if you're going to shoot out to 500 yards or more. Most SWFA scopes check this box with both rear focus and side focus models. Side focus is nice but not super necessary for the extra $.

Rings: Good rings are more important than you might think. I prefer steel rings and a steel base. But you can also get aluminum rings and an aluminum base. Your base should be the same material as your rings. I've used LaRue, Nightforce, Seekins and Leupold rings and I've never needed anything higher than a "low" ring to clear the 42mm objective on SWFA scopes, however this depends somewhat on the length and thickness of the base you select also.

Scope base: Consider getting a base with some slope built it. This will angle the slope slightly down. This is done so you don't run out of elevation adjustment when you're taking really long shots and have to dial in a lot of bullet drop. You'll see them called 20 MOA scope mounts, or sometimes even 40 moa scope mounts. That refers to how much slope is built into the base.

Magnification: In a fixed power scope, more isn't always better. I have a SWFA 20x42 and it works for benchrest style shooting or distances past about 500 yards, but it's too much if I was mostly just shooting at 100-500 yards. That much magnification makes it hard to find your target, hard to spot your misses, and on a hot day the mirage can really distort your image. The fixed 20 is a specialized tool, 10 power is a nice all around magnification, 12 power would work fine for most medium to long range distances. I wouldn't have bought the 20 but it but it came on a used Savage I bought once. If you intended to hunt, probably go with less magnification than 10 power but I'm not much of a hunter.

Scope body diameter: Generally larger diameters accommodate more elevation adjustment. It sucks to run out of elevation adjustment. 1 inch can be limiting. Some scopes come in 34mm but probably not in the price range we're talking about. 30mm is fine for most things, especially with the 20 moa scope bases we talked about. SWFA got you covered there.

Just so you know, SWFA usually has a pretty good sale around tax day, if you can wait until April.

Last edited by Surferchris1; 03-01-2021 at 4:03 PM.. Reason: Added note about ring height.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-01-2021, 6:11 PM
russ13 russ13 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 257
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

So the big question remains what will you be using this rifle for??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-01-2021, 6:21 PM
Sir Toast's Avatar
Sir Toast Sir Toast is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,528
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Definitely look at the Athlon scopes. I just got one and I'm really impressed so far. Vortex makes great scopes too.

If I were you, I'd save up for a better scope of at least $500. I just picked up an Athlon Midas Gen 2 4.5-27x50 for less than $600.

Also, don't be afraid to buy a used scope if it is a Vortex. They have lifetime warranties.

If you go cheap, the scope won't hold zero, you can't track accurately, etc. It will drive you crazy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-01-2021, 7:58 PM
Cowboy T's Avatar
Cowboy T Cowboy T is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 4,808
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

@remusrm, here's what I used to go past 500 yards and out to 1,000. Better than the made-in-China Crossfire II and less than $350.

http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithag...ngeReport.html

This was five and a half years ago. I still have both setups as you see there, and they both are good shooters. It's simply that the shooter behind the scope has gotten better over time since then. :-)
__________________
"San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-01-2021, 11:10 PM
madbeans88's Avatar
madbeans88 madbeans88 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: O.C.
Posts: 588
iTrader: 39 / 100%
Default

[QUOTE=russ13;25484641]The sfwa is a nice scope with great turrets and pretty clear glass for the money.
Another one to Think about if you want a variable power scope is the primary arms 4-14 FFP. Good scope for a good price



this, the acss reticle is very simple to learn and you can reach out to 1000, plus the warranty is great. you use the extra 100 on a good set of rings, a book on long range shooting, and a bag of peanuts.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-12-2021, 1:47 PM
Unit74 Unit74 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Georgia-Free America
Posts: 2,200
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
I would avoid buying a Chinese made optic if you can.
I've been searching for a new scope the last couple weeks. It's almost all China made until you get into the top shelf stuff. It's one thing I have been trying to avoid. I simply don't think it can be avoided at average-guy, average rifle prices.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-12-2021, 1:58 PM
theLBC's Avatar
theLBC theLBC is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: the lbc
Posts: 3,032
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit74 View Post
I've been searching for a new scope the last couple weeks. It's almost all China made until you get into the top shelf stuff. It's one thing I have been trying to avoid. I simply don't think it can be avoided at average-guy, average rifle prices.
with ammo prices being so high, you only have a skip a couple of trips to the range to save enough to go up a tier in quality and price.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-12-2021, 5:13 PM
Cowboy T's Avatar
Cowboy T Cowboy T is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 4,808
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit74 View Post
I've been searching for a new scope the last couple weeks. It's almost all China made until you get into the top shelf stuff. It's one thing I have been trying to avoid. I simply don't think it can be avoided at average-guy, average rifle prices.
I don't see where $250 for a riflescope of decent quality is out of line, and they're out there. How much did you pay for your rifle?
__________________
"San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-12-2021, 5:52 PM
russ13 russ13 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 257
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default scope for 308... first timer here... be gentle

I’ve seen some crimson Trace scopes on midway heavily marked down. Does anyone have experience with these scopes

Last edited by russ13; 03-12-2021 at 5:54 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-12-2021, 9:40 PM
remusrm remusrm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 248
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferchris1 View Post
I'll throw my vote in the SWFA camp, I own three and am very happy with them; but there are a few other things to consider since you said you were new to all this.

Reticle: I've never been impressed with bullet drop compensating reticles. They might get you in the ballpark, if you find ammunition that happens to match the reticles ballistics, and the temperature is right, and you're shooting at just the right altitude... They might be "combat accurate" out to a few hundred yards but not really precise enough to play at the long or even medium distances. Go with something Mil-Dot based, that will work on any rifle and for any ammunition, and once you figure out your drops they will still be accurate if you change scopes down the road. SWFA checks this box.

Knobs: Get them in the unit of measurement that matches your reticle. If your reticle is in Mil's get a scope with knobs in Mils. If your reticle is in MOA get a scope with MOA knobs. SWFA checks this box too.

Adjustable parallax: You want this if you're going to shoot out to 500 yards or more. Most SWFA scopes check this box with both rear focus and side focus models. Side focus is nice but not super necessary for the extra $.

Rings: Good rings are more important than you might think. I prefer steel rings and a steel base. But you can also get aluminum rings and an aluminum base. Your base should be the same material as your rings. I've used LaRue, Nightforce, Seekins and Leupold rings and I've never needed anything higher than a "low" ring to clear the 42mm objective on SWFA scopes, however this depends somewhat on the length and thickness of the base you select also.

Scope base: Consider getting a base with some slope built it. This will angle the slope slightly down. This is done so you don't run out of elevation adjustment when you're taking really long shots and have to dial in a lot of bullet drop. You'll see them called 20 MOA scope mounts, or sometimes even 40 moa scope mounts. That refers to how much slope is built into the base.

Magnification: In a fixed power scope, more isn't always better. I have a SWFA 20x42 and it works for benchrest style shooting or distances past about 500 yards, but it's too much if I was mostly just shooting at 100-500 yards. That much magnification makes it hard to find your target, hard to spot your misses, and on a hot day the mirage can really distort your image. The fixed 20 is a specialized tool, 10 power is a nice all around magnification, 12 power would work fine for most medium to long range distances. I wouldn't have bought the 20 but it but it came on a used Savage I bought once. If you intended to hunt, probably go with less magnification than 10 power but I'm not much of a hunter.

Scope body diameter: Generally larger diameters accommodate more elevation adjustment. It sucks to run out of elevation adjustment. 1 inch can be limiting. Some scopes come in 34mm but probably not in the price range we're talking about. 30mm is fine for most things, especially with the 20 moa scope bases we talked about. SWFA got you covered there.

Just so you know, SWFA usually has a pretty good sale around tax day, if you can wait until April.
What's your opinion on my two choices?

Crossfire® II
6-18x44 AO

vs

Crossfire® II
4-12x50 AO
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-12-2021, 10:31 PM
kcheung2's Avatar
kcheung2 kcheung2 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,885
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default

Well, most responses have given you good alternative scopes or at least general criteria to look for. Since no one said "those are good choices", that should be enough of a hint.
__________________
---------------------
"There is no "best." If there was, everyone here would own that one, and no other." - DSB
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-15-2021, 6:06 AM
theduracellbigd theduracellbigd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 456
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
with ammo prices being so high, you only have a skip a couple of trips to the range to save enough to go up a tier in quality and price.
i agree, Diamondback would be the lowest product tier of Vortex that I would buy , and Viper is my preferred optical quality for the price range of that manufacture. Vortex Diamondback is probably your best bet, really not that much more than crossfire but optically worth it . Just get the 3x9x40 with duplex reticle, that is the benchmark scope dimensions and reticle type that sits on thousands of hunting rifles across America because it is the best balance of magnification range and size/weight for most all hunting applications. Yes you will be able to line up your human sized target at 1000 yards at 9x, if you will be able to hit it is another story, haha.

Last edited by theduracellbigd; 03-15-2021 at 6:20 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-15-2021, 6:46 AM
HK Dave's Avatar
HK Dave HK Dave is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rowland Heights, CA
Posts: 5,684
iTrader: 76 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
What's your opinion on my two choices?

Crossfire® II
6-18x44 AO

vs

Crossfire® II
4-12x50 AO
No good. Get an SWFA 10x in mil and learn on it. Don’t get caught up on the high magnification zoom idea. With your choices you have so much going against you. Your choices are sfp, reticle only useful at one magnification, I bet tracking is marginal at best, reticle sucks.

Or spend $500+ and get an swfa 3-9 ffp. I excellent scope for the money with awesome optics an tracking.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-19-2021, 3:40 PM
Mustang's Avatar
Mustang Mustang is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 4,204
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Sportsmans Warehouse has the 6.5-20x44 Vortex Viper with Dead Hold reticle on sale for $279.

https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting-g...cope/p/1244420

Midway has the 6-24x50 Bushnell Nitro with the MOA reticle on sale for $255. Can get a 20% rebate, bringing the cost down to $205.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020055352?pid=475155

Viper made in the Philippines, Nitro made in South Korea.
__________________
...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-22-2021, 9:06 PM
Jeniva Jeniva is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: California
Posts: 22
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

what scopes did you settle on then? Were you able to find something comparable?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-23-2021, 11:48 AM
FeuerFrei's Avatar
FeuerFrei FeuerFrei is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: sign said "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"
Posts: 6,095
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
Got my Predator but I have mixed info on scope... Too much magnification, Field of View size? School me!

I want to spend under 350 with tax so I can reach past 500 yards and maybe touch a human silhouette at 1000!

I am between these:

Crossfire® II
6-18x44 AO
Dead-Hold BDC (MOA) Reticle | 1 inch Tube


Crossfire® II
4-12x50 AO
Dead-Hold BDC (MOA) Reticle | 1 inch Tube


Are these good?
Learn some scope 101 terms first and then shop for your best scope for your uses.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/h...iflescope.html.

There are lots of articles available for the novice buyer. Search engine du jour.
__________________
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-23-2021, 12:06 PM
hermosabeach's Avatar
hermosabeach hermosabeach is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Bay of Los Angeles
Posts: 15,140
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

OP

You said be gentle

Ok

Vortex is a no brainer



Vortex has that amazing warranty and the resale value is fantastic.



Money is never free....


So I like your thinking. If you buy a used vortex, then should you feel the need to add $1,500 to your budget and buy new Japanese glass, you can move the vortex to another rifle or sell in the marketplace.



Some folks shoot iron sights at 600-1000 yards


Many in PRS matches will rarely go over 10-15 power in a match.



The nice thing about high power scopes is you can SPOT for a friend with your rifle scope.
__________________


“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

4 million DROS checks in Dec 2020- time to take new gun owners to the range

— if you find yourself repeating something you heard on TV, your probably part of the problem!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-23-2021, 12:08 PM
hermosabeach's Avatar
hermosabeach hermosabeach is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Bay of Los Angeles
Posts: 15,140
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

I’m also a fan of bigger front lenses for higher power scopes.

Bigger tubes too

Both let more light/ image reach your eyes.

Of the two you posted-I’d pick this one with the 50mm lense for that reason.

Crossfire® II
4-12x50 AO
__________________


“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

4 million DROS checks in Dec 2020- time to take new gun owners to the range

— if you find yourself repeating something you heard on TV, your probably part of the problem!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:26 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.